Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Trep72
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.

Talking DCL Transportation - Port of Miami

I just recently booked a 5 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Wonder for March 16-21, 2013.

I was wondering if anyone knew how the Disney ground transportation would work in Miami? I'm probably going to be flying into Ft. Lauderdale a day early and will stay at a hotel there or in Miami and take the hotel shuttle to the port. But on the final day, will DCL transportation take me back to the Ft. Lauderdale airport, or just Miami Int'l???

I haven't found any postings about this, nor could I find anything on the usual info sites.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
toontoy
Mouseketeer

I called them today as we just moved our galveston cruise to the new years cruise, oddly it was the same price, and they only have transfers for MIA and are making a list for FLL as they are working on it. It seems right now they didn't realize how close they are together, LOL
toontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Trep72

Talking

Thanks for the info!

I've got an email into my TA and will gladly share any add'l info once I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toontoy View Post
I called them today as we just moved our galveston cruise to the new years cruise, oddly it was the same price, and they only have transfers for MIA and are making a list for FLL as they are working on it. It seems right now they didn't realize how close they are together, LOL
Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Trep72

Quote:
Originally Posted by toontoy View Post
Here's the official word from my TA....which isn't much different than what you've already mentioned...LOL

"Apparently, if you would like transfers from FLL they put you in waitlist status. They then get back to us and let us know if they can offer the transfers and if so, how much they will be."

Clear as mud?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

I call when I tried to book a client and the answer was no. There is a hertz very close to the port of Miami.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Trep72

Thanks for the info. I'm sure that once Disney starts selling more and more cruises out of Miami, they'll change their minds. It's still early yet.

If all else fails, I'll fly into FLL the day before sailing and stay at a hotel that offers free transport to PoM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznLexi View Post
I call when I tried to book a client and the answer was no. There is a hertz very close to the port of Miami.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

After some searching I found quotes of $70 for a towncar from FLL area to PoM.

When I just looked at our reservation, the transfers offered are $20 each which I assume is from Miami Airport. Already cheaper to get a private car from FLL to the port, so I'm thinking even if Disney offers transfers from FLL it's not going to be cost effective for 4 of us.

Of course the $70 may go up between now and then, but something else worth considering if more than 3 people are travelling.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Mom323
Founding member of FOG

On one of the other Miami threads this company was recommended. Looks like they have great rates from Fort Lauderdale to the port.

http://ridesas.com/
Mom323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls View Post
After some searching I found quotes of $70 for a towncar from FLL area to PoM.

When I just looked at our reservation, the transfers offered are $20 each which I assume is from Miami Airport. Already cheaper to get a private car from FLL to the port, so I'm thinking even if Disney offers transfers from FLL it's not going to be cost effective for 4 of us.

Of course the $70 may go up between now and then, but something else worth considering if more than 3 people are travelling.
You also have to see if that $70 rates includes tax and tip. If not, then it's going to be cheaper to go with DCL transfers for 4 or less people.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
You also have to see if that $70 rates includes tax and tip. If not, then it's going to be cheaper to go with DCL transfers for 4 or less people.
Good point with the tax and tips, thanks.
That $20pp transfer with dcl is from MIA though. I'm thinking if they offer transfers from FLL it will be quite a lot more.

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Trep72

Talking

Part of my "dilemma" is that we are flying Southwest and they do not fly into Miami, and other airlines are way more expensive than SWA from OKC.

I have found a hotel in FLL that will offer free transportation from the airport to the hotel. They then will take us to the PoM the next morning. So that part isn't that big of a deal. It's coming home that I have to figure out.

I really think that Disney will figure this out and realize that FLL is not that much farther to travel and they will risk alienate travelers who fly there instead of MIA.

Thanks for the discussion. I'm a first time cruiser and while it's a year away before our trip, I'm in full-blown planning mode and want to figure out as much as I can, as quickly as I can.

Last edited by Trep72; 03-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Trep72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
breakingd_awn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep72 View Post
Part of my "dilemma" is that we are flying Southwest and they do not fly into Miami, and other airlines are way more expensive than SWA from OKC.

I have found a hotel in FLL that will offer free transportation from the airport to the hotel. They then will take us to the PoM the next morning. So that part isn't that big of a deal. It's coming home that I have to figure out.

I really think that Disney will figure this out and realize that FLL is not that much farther to travel and they will risk alienate travelers who fly there instead of MIA.

Thanks for the discussion. I'm a first time cruiser and while it's a year away before our trip, I'm in full-blown planning mode and want to figure out as much as I can, as quickly as I can.
Were flying with Southwest also , it would be nice if they added a flight to Miami. Your in good company here if your already planning at 11months out. Wait till you see the Cruise Magnet thread, that will give you something else to do
2011 "DREAMin" for 5 days
2010 Our first "WONDERful" cruise
Shipmates:MeDH
DD(19)DD(17)
DD(12)DD(6)

breakingd_awn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
disneyjunebug
Three greatest guys in the world: Bill Nye, Mickey Mouse and my hubby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom323 View Post
On one of the other Miami threads this company was recommended. Looks like they have great rates from Fort Lauderdale to the port.

http://ridesas.com/
I have used SAS before and I highly recommend them. Prompt service from our hotel in FLL (Hampton Inn Suites on Stirling Rd, which has free FLL shuttle and free breakfast night before), great service to the MIA port and great pick up. Price can't be beat! I think the rate now is $18 a person for 1-5 people.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
dthogue
BL II - Blue Team
DIS Veteran

I'm hoping DCL offers transfers to FLL - we are also flying SW and need to get to FLL. If not I did check out SAS and also renting a car for the day depending on what time our flight leaves.

We are on the Panama Canal cruise that arrives in Miami on 12/23 - guess we'll be the guniea pigs - hopefully they know what they are doing before we leave

dthogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
emtmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep72 View Post

Do you mind sharing which hotel this is? we are trying to decide which airport to fly into and we are looking for a hotel that will both airport and port shuttles. Thanks!!

emtmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: