Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Location: ...just beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment!

Cool Snow White Does the Creep on the Trip that Almost Wasn't A Dec 11/Jan 12 TR 7/24 NEW

Hello one and all, and to my third trip report! You may know me from my previous trip reports, "One Step Ahead of the Slowpokes!" and Stuck on Splash, Swimming in Sewage, & Still Laughing!, or you may not know me at all! Either way, I’m happy you’re here!

Step inside our storybook; imagine what’s in store…

Let’s get started! This trip report will document my 9th trip to Disney World! I’m pretty late starting it, because the trip was in December, but I’m still really excited to relive it! Before I explain my strange title, let’s do the 5 W’s!

Who (AKA- The Cast!)-

Me- Joni, 24. I’m a high school English teacher from NC! I have been completely obsessed with Disney World since 2007. I am the Disney planner in my family, and that’s fine with me! I’m not happy unless I’m either at Disney or I have a Disney trip in the works. I am also one of the weirdest people you’ll ever meet. Try as I might, I just can’t stop being awkward and nerdy. I’ve learned to embrace my strangeness, and it makes for some pretty good laughs sometimes! You’ll learn lots more about me as the trip report progresses!

My Disney Breakdown:
Favorite Movie(s): The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story 3, Tangled(I love them all!)
Favorite Character(s): WOODY and Pluto
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Ride: Rock’n Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Favorite Resort: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Favorite Restaurant(s): Le Cellier and ‘Ohana
Favorite Non-Ride Activity: Animation Academy

Partner in Crime: My husband John, 25. John and I have been together since I was a freshman in high school. This summer we will celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary. John is a Green Beret in the US Army. He’s my tough G.I Joe, but he’s also a huge softy and loves Disney almost as much as I do. He’s not much into planning the trips, but he’s always more than happy to come along and enjoy the ride! Thankfully, John shares my awkwardness, so we have a blast together. He’s my husband, but he’s also my best friend. *Sigh* Did I mention how lucky I am?

John’s Disney Breakdown:
Favorite Movie(s): Race to Witch Mountain, Disney Earth, and Swiss Family Robinson
Favorite Character: King Louie
Favorite Park: Animal Kingdom
Favorite Ride(s): Expedition Everest, Space Mountain, and Tower of Terror
Favorite Resort: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Favorite Restaurant(s): Yak & Yeti and Sci Fi Dine in Theater
Favorite Non-Ride Activity: Maharajah Jungle Trek and Pangani Forest Trail

What-

A six day/six night New Years trip with the Plus Dining Plan!

Where-

Disney’s All Star Movies Resort (for awhile…you’ll have to read the report to find out where else we stayed! )

When-

December 28, 2011- January 3, 2012

Why-

John was coming back from a three month deployment, and we couldn’t bear the thought of waiting until summer for another Disney trip!

Okay, so there’s the basics of our trip! I figured rather than doing it in another post, I’d go ahead and explain the title so you’ll know what to expect with this crazy TR!

The Title…Explained!

First, the Snow White part. Who am I referring to when I say Snow White? Myself, of course! Is it because I think I’m a pretty princess? Not exactly…actually, Snow White isn’t even my favorite princess (Jasmine is). However, I have acquired that nickname at work and it’s sort of stuck. How did it originate, you ask? Well, when I got back from vacation and went back to work after New Years, one of my coworkers who has a tendency to have a nonstop case of verbal diarrhea (meaning, she never thinks before she speaks) came up to me and we had the following conversation:

Her: “I thought you said you were going to Disney World over break?”
Me: “Um…I did go. It was great!”
Her: “Wait, you went? Then why are you so…pale? Aren’t people supposed get tan when they go to Florida?”
Me: POKER FACE.

So yeah…thanks a lot, coworker, for acknowledging my perpetual paleness. I told my other coworkers about this conversation, and it seems like the nickname Snow White is going to be around for a while.

Next, the “does the creep” part! Does anyone here watch SNL? If you do, I’m sure you are familiar with the Lonely Island videos. I think they’re absolutely hilarious. They’re not exactly DIS-appropriate, so I won’t spend too much time talking about them, but there’s one Lonely Island video called “The Creep.” It’s the song all about being creepy around people and doing this weird dance called The Creep. If you’d like to see the video, you can see it HERE. John and watched this video about 1,000 times and doing the creep became a running joke for us.

Now, if you remember from my past TRs, I have always had the crappiest camera and it takes really terrible pictures. As an extra Christmas gift before our trip John bought me a new camera that is really nice! I was so excited about it, and I couldn’t believe how well it zoomed. I became obsessed with zooming in on things on this trip, and somewhere along the line every time I would zoom in on something we would joke about how creepy I was being, so we started calling zooming in on things “doing the creep,” and then doing the creep began to encompass a wide variety of weird things that I do. Hence, Snow White doing the creep.

Now, the final part: the trip that almost wasn’t. This one’s easy to explain. We booked this trip in September before John’s deployment, but because of money issues I had to cancel it at the beginning of November. Then John and my mom pulled some strings and surprised me by telling me the trip was back on at the end of November. After that, however, it became unclear when John would be coming home from his deployment, so there as about a 50/50 chance that we wouldn’t be able to go on out trip. I didn’t know FOR SURE that I was going until CHRISTMAS EVE- three days before we left! It was nerve-wracking, but I’m just so glad we actually got to go!

Well, there you have it- my title explained! I think it’s time to get this trip report started, don’t you?

So get your knees flexin’ and your arms T-rexin’…HERE WE GO!

Last edited by therussells08; 07-24-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Chapter Links!

Chapter Links!

December 27, 2011

The Post With the Gas Station Pictures

December 28,2011

Let's Go To the Movies! All Star Movies, That Is!

Red Velvet, If You Please!

The Brilliance of the Hamburger/Hotdog Creation

Photobombing and Near Death Experiences

December 29, 2011

I Whip Me Locks To and Fro

Once Upon a Christmastime

Awkward Disney Photos

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This

I'M A GLUTTON!

December 30, 2011

Let ME Handle This!

Our New Home Away From Home!

More Resort Pics and Dinner!

December 31, 2011

Rise and Shine- It's Animal Kingdom Time!

The Ibuprofen Affair

Demon Bats and Devil Birds

Love the Camera!

Celebrating in the Parking Lot!

January 1, 2012

Please, Ma'm, Can I Have Some Sausage?

The Post Alien Abduction Update

We'll Make a Wish, and Do As Dreamers Do

You Spin My Head Right Round

A Frumptastic DIS Meet and EMH!

January 2, 2012

The Meal So Nice, I Ate It Twice

Mysterious as the Dark Side of the Moon

Oh, So That's What Heaven Tastes Like

A Final Update- With No Pictures- New

Finishing Touches

The Wrap Up Post- New

PTR Updates!

PTR Update #1

PTR Update #2

PTR Update #3

PTR Update #4

PTR Update #5

PTR Update #6

PTR Update #7

The LAST PTR Update- New

Last edited by therussells08; 07-06-2012 at 08:29 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!! I can't wait to hear about your trip! I love Lonely Island!! I'll have to watch that video, I don't think I've seen it!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

YAY another TR from you! I want to go during New Year's so bad. It sounds like an absolute blast. I cannot wait to hear all about it!

I love the story about your coworker cause I'm also very fair skinned, I never tan, and people always tell me to get a tan as if that's not completely rude. I'm like, UM, you wouldn't say to someone "You need to change your hair" or "You need to change your make-up" so why is it considered okay to tell someone to get a tan? Ack. But at least you got a Disney nickname out of it haha
Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I'm in for this one too!

Your title is hilarious! That co-worker of yours sounds like a real PEACH. It may be Florida, but it was still winter! Ugh. Anyways, can't wait to hear all about it!

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
Old 03-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Woohoo! Another TR from the Russells! Sign me up coach...I'm in!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

I'm here!

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Tracy161
DIS Veteran

Yay! Another trip report... count me in!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

Joining in on on your TR!
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520

Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
NMW
DIS Veteran

Subscribing
Old 03-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Subbing! I'm looking forward to another one of your trip reports!

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 03-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
Torrance
Earning My Ears

Hi Joni! Just wanted to stop in and say that I'm looking forward to following along!

Currently Planning: Jul '14 My Birthday Bash at DL, Jan '14 DL Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon,Dec '13 Mommy-Daughter DL Trip, Sep '13 "Girls Only" DL Trip, Dec '12 Mommy-Daughter DL Trip, Jun '12 Honeymoon at WDW! Sep '11 Married at DL! Jun '11 DL, Aug '10 DL, Jun '10 "Engagaversary" at DL! Pre-'10 Numerous Family DL Trips.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I'm here!!! I can't wait to hear about your trip! I love Lonely Island!! I'll have to watch that video, I don't think I've seen it!
You're first! YAY!

Yes! You have to watch it- it's hilarious!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
YAY another TR from you! I want to go during New Year's so bad. It sounds like an absolute blast. I cannot wait to hear all about it!

I love the story about your coworker cause I'm also very fair skinned, I never tan, and people always tell me to get a tan as if that's not completely rude. I'm like, UM, you wouldn't say to someone "You need to change your hair" or "You need to change your make-up" so why is it considered okay to tell someone to get a tan? Ack. But at least you got a Disney nickname out of it haha
New Years is AMAZING! It's really crowded, but still awesome!

Seriously, I don't understand why some things are socially acceptable to say and some aren't. Maybe I'll walk up to my coworker and randomly say, "You're kind of rude." I wonder how THAT would go over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I'm in for this one too!

Your title is hilarious! That co-worker of yours sounds like a real PEACH. It may be Florida, but it was still winter! Ugh. Anyways, can't wait to hear all about it!
I'm so glad you're here!

Haha a peach indeed! Seriously- it was only like mid-50s while we were there! Not exactly prime tanning weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Woohoo! Another TR from the Russells! Sign me up coach...I'm in!
I'm glad you're here! I hope you enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
I'm here!
YAY!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy161 View Post
Yay! Another trip report... count me in!
I'm glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousetravel View Post
Joining in on on your TR!
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMW View Post
Subscribing
Thanks for subbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildAtHeart82 View Post
Subbing! I'm looking forward to another one of your trip reports!
YAY! I'm so glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrance View Post
Hi Joni! Just wanted to stop in and say that I'm looking forward to following along!
Hi! Thanks for dropping in and I'm glad you're here!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
therussells08
Roger, Simba One!

The Post with the Gas Station Pictures

Thanks so much to all of you who are on board for another one of my ridiculous trip reports! I’m so excited to share it with you!

Okay so time for my first update!

December 27-28, 2011

Before I begin, let me paint the scene…picture it, Sicily, 1922… Sorry, I had to slip in the Golden Girls reference! Anyway, we’re hopping in our time rover and rewinding to December 27th, 2011. John had been home for all of three days, and it had only been three days since I had found out that I was FOR SURE going to Disney. We were checking in on the 28th, so we decided to leave on the 27th and split up the ten hour drive. I woke up that morning with the classic AHHHH I’M GOING TO DISNEY TODAY OH MY GOSH I’M GOING TO EXPLODE feeling. I love that feeling, don’t you? The excitement, the butterflies in your stomach, and for me, the unrelenting nausea. I am a super dork and I have a really weak stomach, so I get extremely nauseous when I’m really excited about something. It’s gross and embarrassing, walking around the house sipping water and trying not to barf. See? I warned you in my intro that I’m the definition of awkward. Add that to the list of "Things I Never Wanted to Know About Joni".

Anyway, I started off the morning by packing a view last minute items. First, my trip journal!

Then I packed a book that my sister had bought me for Christmas. I ended up barely reading ten pages, but I had high hopes for the drive!

I read it when I got home, and it was really good. If you like books like The Hunger Games series I highly recommend it! (Speaking of which- who else is SUPER excited about the movie coming out next week? I would like to brag for a minute and say that they filmed it about an hour from my house! That's right, I'm basically a movie star. )

I couldn’t forget to pack these little beauties!

After I finished packing I went to the mall to meet my best friend, Jessy, so we could spend some of our Christmas gift cards! I had gotten a $50 gift card to Sephora, so I bought some new foundation, eyeliner, and nail polish. All of this cost $42!!! For three things! Gosh, I love Sephora but I practically have to take out a loan to buy some concealer! We also went to Old Navy and I got a few tank tops that were on clearance. Haha, Old Navy, you think you’re being smart by putting your tank tops on clearance because it’s cold outside and only a fool would buy them, but I’m going to FLORIDA. Awww yeah!

We left the mall pretty quickly because it was crazy crowded and I was anxious to get on the road! When I got home I packed my new stuff, we took our dogs to my parents’ house, and we were on our way at 2:13!

I told John to give me his excited face, and this is what I got:

*Note: You’ll notice throughout this report that John looks like he’s been in a boxing match with Butterbean. This is because during his deployment he took a little spill DOWN A MOUNTAIN and broke his nose, thus blackening both his eyes. That being said, I’ll go ahead and warn you that we did not do PhotoPass pictures on this trip! I’m sure you can imagine why.

Anyway, here’s my excited face!

We stopped in the nearest town to fill up my car. I was pretty desperate for photo ops, so I took a picture of the gas prices. This is riveting stuff, huh?

BUT WAIT…THERE’S MORE! If you thought that was exciting, wait until you see what I have next! It’s…how much we spent on gas! WOO HOO!

So here’s where my photography choices get really weird. Even though I was practically taking pictures of gum on the sidewalk when we first left, I didn’t take a single picture until we stopped for the night in Jacksonville seven hours later! Don’t worry, you didn’t miss anything interesting. We stopped at a couple of rest areas, ate at McDonald’s, got gas, listened to Disney music, and talked. It was an uneventful and boring car ride!

It was after 10pm when we decided to stop. We found a reasonably priced hotel (military discounts!) and hauled our tired butts into our room.

I went into the bathroom to get ready for bed and came out to find this:

Before I went to bed I took a picture of our super drab non-Disney room décor.

Wow, isn’t that appealing? Why on earth would they make a hotel so depressing? If you’re going to be far from your home it seems like they’d want to make your temporary residence warm and inviting. This place looked like a prison cell! Oh well, we would be there for less than twelve hours, so it could have been a literal prison cell and I wouldn’t have cared!

Despite my excitement I fell asleep pretty quickly, and before I knew it the alarm was going off! I didn’t write down the exact time we woke up, but I think it was around 7:30. While I showered and got packed up John went down to the free continental breakfast. My nervous nausea was still in full swing, so I didn’t want a big breakfast. He brought me back a pastry and we hit the road before 8:30!

Adios, depressing hotel! See ya never! (Yeah, I'm a Disney snob. Plain hotels don't stand a chance! )

Here’s my last non-Disney meal for six days:

I took about two bites and threw it away. Sorry Svenhard, but I don’t want your berry horn. Somewhere in Sweden a pastry chef is weeping. Maybe not Sweden…I dunno…where does a person named “Svenhard” live? Moving on…

So it’s about a two hour drive from Jacksonville to Disney, which frustrated me because I felt like I was going to explode if I didn’t see that sign soon.

What sign am I talking about, exactly?

UM, THIS ONE!

Up Next: We check into our hotel and get a not-so-pleasant surprise! Stay tuned!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: