Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to throw out there that many children do very well with 504 plans: For example, one first grade student at my school has ADHD, anxiety, bi-polar. He takes medication and it works wonders for him. He does require some accommodations in the classroom. Some examples: he is allowed to stand, instead of sit in his chair; he is allowed to chew gum on an as needed basis (if he feels anxious he will start chewing his clothes). He does not need the curriculum changed or modified at all and his accommodations can easily be met by the classroom teacher. He does not need the help of a Special Education teacher at all.

Not that I am saying that the OP's son doesn't need an IEP. But, sometimes I know that 504 plans can get a bad rap and are seen as some sort of consolation prize. They are great for some children; but not nearly enough for others.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #17
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
Just wanted to throw out there that many children do very well with 504 plans: For example, one first grade student at my school has ADHD, anxiety, bi-polar. He takes medication and it works wonders for him. He does require some accommodations in the classroom. Some examples: he is allowed to stand, instead of sit in his chair; he is allowed to chew gum on an as needed basis (if he feels anxious he will start chewing his clothes). He does not need the curriculum changed or modified at all and his accommodations can easily be met by the classroom teacher. He does not need the help of a Special Education teacher at all.

Not that I am saying that the OP's son doesn't need an IEP. But, sometimes I know that 504 plans can get a bad rap and are seen as some sort of consolation prize. They are great for some children; but not nearly enough for others.
You do have a great point!

My son has had a 504 since K (he's in 6th grade now) due to medical though we do have certain educational items in there regarding test taking modifications (like he can leave the room if needed). We've really only had one grade where I REALLY had to shove that 504 in a teacher's face because she 1) refused to even look at it 2) decided on her own that my son (who never makes a peep out of turn in class and from every other teacher I always get "I wish I had a classroom of him" ) was somehow using his medical needs to scam the system and get out of doing work and/or taking tests. Because it wasn't an IEP she felt she didn't need to follow it (and frankly, I think her attitude would have been the same with an IEP)

But, yes, we've had some accommodations added that are educational in nature and similar to what you've said, his accommodations are easily met in the classroom with no special ed services.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
herdtoDisney
DIS Veteran

OP, I hope you are able to have success getting a 504 plan. My ds, 15 yo with ADHD, was just denied one last month because it was decided that his disability 'moderately' impaired him rather than 'substantially' impairs him in school

In our case, the school is doing the accomodations we felt he needed, just not on a plan

OP, do your ds' teachers have email addresses you can use for them directly? In our city, they are published on the website and I have had good success communicating directly with them-they have been positive about it.
herdtoDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
SenecaWolf
I let my mind wander and it didn't come back!

My daughter has had an IEP since she was 4 in Preschool (she is currently almost 16). She had a sensory processing delay, ADHD, ODD and was classified as severly emotionally disturbed. All of her issues were behavioral except for a few organizational problems(which we are STILL trying to resolve).

I am not sure of your plans for higher education but an IEP diploma in NY is practically worthless. My daughter is planning on attending college and is in the ACT program in high school. It is designed for kids on IEP's to attain a Regents diploma, its kind of like the 1:12:1 contained classrooms in lower grades. If you are getting to much of a run around from your school's committee for special education check around your area for groups to help you. There are some that will even send an advocate with you to the meetings that better understands the CSE guidelines and can make sure the committee is not just brushing you off.

Good luck with everything, dealing with CSE can be difficult, just don't feel that you have to settle for what they recommend.
SenecaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #20
disneycruising
DIS Veteran

My DD (18) has asperger's with ADD. She wasn't diagnosis until she was 13.

The public school drives me crazy. My DD doesn't qualify for an IEP with her AS diagnosis. She also doesn't qualify for and IEP with her ADD... because she is on daily medication.

In 9th grade we sat down with the High School and put together a 504. We ask for things like: tests taking in the office, no calling on her in class, no note taking--notes to be given to her by teachers, no copying from the board, can turn in late assignments.

I think the best thing you can do for your child is to educate yourself! You have to know EXACTLY WHAT TO ASK FOR. The schools are not going to willingly help you. You have to be able to go in and fight for what is needed. But, you can not do this if you do not understand how the laws work and what rights you have. If you can afford it-- I would hire a special education Attorney, that can help you with the process. [/I]

May 2002 ~ 4 day Wonder Feb 2003 ~ 7 day Magic/ Eastern May 2004 ~ 7 day Magic/ Western Nov 2004 ~ Thanksgiving on the Magic /Western Double Dip May 2005 ~ 14 day Panama Canal Cruise: "Bringing the Magic to CA" Nov 2005 ~ Thanksgiving on the Magic/ Western Double Dip Apr 2006 ~ Easter on the Magic/ Eastern,Feb 2007 ~ Valentines on the Wonder May 2007~ Transatlantic: Taking the Magic to the Med Oct 2008~ Celebrating Halloween & my birthday with Mickey on the Magic Dec 2009 ~ Christmas in the Parks & New Years on the Wonder Feb 2010 ~ Disneyland & DCA Dec 2010 ~ Jan 2011~ "Surprise" Christmas & New Years on the Magic Mar ~'Mother & Son' do ESPN-the-Weekend April ~'Mom & daughter' Spring Break May ~ Eastbound TransAtlantic Oct ~'Mother & Daughter Cruise' MR Dec 2011 ~ Christmas WDW & New Years on the DreamDec 2012~ Christmas & New Years on the Fantasy Mar 2013~Mom & Daughter Cruise Celebrating DD's HS Graduation Aug 2013~ Trip to WDW to visit our DD in the DCP Dec 2013~ Christmas on the Magic Nov 2014 ~ GIRLS TRIP TO WDW Dec 2014~ CHRISTMAS IN THE PARKS
disneycruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #21
utterrandomness
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormde View Post
With that said, if your child is Aspergers then he has significant educational needs (social skills and EF curriculum etc).
I would be careful about saying things like that. Like other autism spectrum disorders, Aspergers isn't always severe, so not everyone with Aspergers has "significant educational needs." That being said, if your child needs accommodations, fight for them tooth and nail.
utterrandomness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #22
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

I have to disagree, I have never met a single person who is aspergers who did not have significant educational needs, no mater how well self adapted they are. At a minimum improving social fluency to reduce the effort it takes navigate the NT world and manage associated anxiety.

The big confusion is differentiating acedemic need from functional curricular needs and realizing that that they are equally covered under IDEA.

Aspergers or other ASD does not have to be "severe" or even moderate to create significant educational needs, it is all about the impact which is virtually always significant.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #23
utterrandomness
Mouseketeer

Hi, I'm Taryn. Now you've met someone. There are a lot of aspies that don't have challenges severe enough to need accommodations, but they're not the ones you notice. It is entirely possible you've met someone like that before and just didn't know. Mostly we just exist and people never know.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #24
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

Yes lots of us aspies out there, but if you manefest significantly enought to meet the diagnostic criteria, then you have significant educational needs in the functional curricular areas

Utterrandomness, Welcome to our forum, great to have another aspie on board.

bookwormde
Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #25
utterrandomness
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the welcome.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: