Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
moikturtle
You can learn a lot of things from the flowers.

Looking for The Muppets 3D Glasses for a Special Needs Student

Hello,
I haven't really posted on this particular section of the DIS before. Generally I tend to post in the Creative Community area, but I figured that if anyone would be able to help me out with this matter, the movie board would be the best place to start. If it belongs somewhere else instead, please feel free to move it.

Anyway, to give a little background, I am a moderate/severe special education teacher. One of my students has had a pair of the green 3D glasses from The Muppets movie that he brings to school everyday. He absolutely LOVES his glasses and they're so important to him. Today he came to me in a panic because he had sadly broken one of the arms off. I told him that I would take them home to try to fix them, but with the way they're broken, I'm not sure that any type of glue will hold them. I've looked on ebay to see if I could find him a new pair, but no one is selling them. I've posted on my Facebook for friends to keep a lookout for a pair, but have had no results thus far. I know that in the past members of this board have been incredibly generous, so I thought I would put it out there what I'm looking for and hope for the best. I would gladly pay for shipping or anything else. Please let me know if you or someone you know can help me out. It would absolutely make my student's day.

Thank you,
Heather
moikturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

I have an autistic son who is obsessed with these glasses too. We are headed to WDW next week, and we have a couple here, so I'd be happy to send one of ours, and we will get another next week. Message me your address, and I will ship them out ASAP. I know all to well when something gets broke that they love, ebay is great, but cant always find what you need.

2014 CBR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by moikturtle View Post
with the way they're broken, I'm not sure that any type of glue will hold them
The plastic used in the glasses for Muppet*Vision 3D is a type that essentially cannot be glued, I strongly suspect. I think they're made of polypropylene, and you just can't use glue on that stuff. It might hold for a few minutes, but it won't stand up to any significant stress. And the "arms" on glasses in general are difficult at best to repair with glue, no matter what they're made of. There's usually just not enough surface area to get glue to hold.

If I'm wrong and the plastic is a type that can be glued, hedge your bets. If possible, find a thin but sturdy piece of metal or something similar to go on the back/inside of the arm, at least an inch long or even more, as long as it can be completely hidden when the glasses are being worn. Use a two-part epoxy glue instead of super glue. Super glue works well in many applications, but it has poor resistance to shearing forces. Epoxy is extremely strong once it is cured. If you can find a piece of metal to use, use a little sandpaper to make sure there are no sharp or rough edges. The apply the epoxy not only on the break, but also on the metal. Then put the metal in place spanning the break. It will greatly increase the strength of the bond.

Of course, if the break is very close to the front near the lenses, this method may not work.

SSB

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: