Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
mcroadman
Mouseketeer

Not taking child on excursions?

So have you ever left your child on the boat while you went on an excursion? My 12 year old is not interested in the Mayan ruins. I can see her asking to stay in the tween club.
Can that work?
Mary
mcroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
goofymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcroadman View Post
So have you ever left your child on the boat while you went on an excursion? My 12 year old is not interested in the Mayan ruins. I can see her asking to stay in the tween club.
Can that work?
Mary
I left my kids on the ship when they were young in the kids clubs. It was no problem. I just let the CMs know what we were doing, what my cell number was, and For my own sanity, i booked excursions that weren't too far away from the ship.

I assume you can do the same with a kid in the edge, but they aren't restricted to the clubs like the little ones are. You might want to call DCL and ask before you book your excursion.

Good luck.

DL: 1965 WDW offsite:1975,1979,1981,1995 WDW Poly: May 2003 WDW POFQ: April 2005 WDW Dolphin: Oct 2007
Magic (W): May 2004 Magic (W): Jan 2006 RCCL (E): June 2009 Fantasy (W): May 2012

goofymama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

Yes, we have left the kids behind. They don't want to get off the ship so they are more than happy to stay behind.

As your DD is 12, she will be able to fend for herself getting lunch, going to the pool or whatever she wants to do.

Go for it and have a good time.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
faithtrustpixie
Mouseketeer

I'm not usually a "worst case scenario" kind of parent, but when it came to leaving DD on the ship I just couldn't do it. Although I'm sure everything would probably be fine, I wouldn't have been able to fully enjoy the excursion.

On the other hand, having a child rolling their eyes the whole time would probably have made the excursion less enjoyable as well.

Ah, the challenges of parenting!

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!! Travel safely.
faithtrustpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
WicketsMom
Mouseketeer

Haven't done it on DCL, but left our son in Camp Carnival so we could go diving on Grand Cayman. Wasn't a problem.

WicketsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

I think, some cruises have great tween group and other don't. My oldest has been in the Tween club twice and there was not much action happening in the club it was a little boring. We did the Baltics on the Magic and recently last June on the Dream. But I've read countless stories on here about how great the Edge was. So, I guess, for me it would depend on how long I was on the excursion and whether my tween could entertain themselves without a friend or family member around. Also, I don't even think the Edge is open first thing in the morning. They definitely had later hours. Luckily, my kids like tours and are happy to go on them with us. The Mayan ruins are actually pretty cool if you rope in the history aspect of it.

In the Mediterranean I felt totally comfortable leaving my 5 year old behind on an all day excursion. We were gone 10 hours and she did fine. I just haven't done it with my older kids since they like the tours.
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Nikisha421
i'm the mom thats hoping and praying that my Disney Princess never grows too old for all things Disney...here's to Disney LOVE

I think you should go for it...if I could ever make up my mind on wheather or not we will take our baby on our Augsut cruise then we would be in the same predicament...baby stays in the Kids Club
Old 03-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
disneydiva16
DIS Veteran

I left my daughter in the clubs when we went on our last Disney Cruise. She just would not have been able to do all the walking that was involved for our excursion. She actually had a great time and didnt miss us at all

RobinDh Matt ds22 dd14 dd7
https://sites.google.com/site/counti...olidays121314/Link to web page!!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Alexander
DIS Veteran

Are you talking about the all day excursion to Tulum? That is a 7-7.5 hour excursion. I don't think I would be comfortable leaving my 13 y/o on the ship alone for that length of time. At your daughter's age, she would not be required to stay in a club. She could come and go. When someone leaves a younger child, they are under CM supervision all day. Not saying you have to worry about your daughter, but what about other people? I don't know how DCL would feel about a minor being left alone for a long period of time onboard their ship.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Dahly
Mouseketeer

I did it

We left DS13 on the Dream when we did an excursion at Atlantis last summer..with the excursion and some walking around, we were gone about 6 hours. DS wanted to be left behind (he wanted to hang out in the club with the friends he had made), and I was perfectly content to leave him on board.

I think only you can decide whether you think your daughter would be OK. If you trust her to be at home for an extended period of time alone, I would think you would be OK to leave her on the boat.

Disney won't stop you at the door and ask where your kid is - so that should not be a concern.

Dahly
Dahly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excursions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: