Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
sob29
Earning My Ears

Visit Memorial Day Week or One Week Later?

We were looking at going to Disney May 26-Jun2 or Jun 2-9. The Unofficial Guide says to avoid Memorial Day weekend and show crowd levels Saturday and Sunday at a 10 and Monday and Tuesday at 9. Then it seems to be smooth sailing all the way to the 9th. Mousesavers says it's not as bad as you would think for crowds Memorial Day Weekend. While checking hotel rooms (we would like to stay at the Dolphin) the Dolphin is sold out for 4 days of the June 2-9 week and I notice the Disney Hotels also seem to be more expensive at the time. I am also showing a bunch of specials through RCI for Memorial Day week, but limited the following. So will the parks be crazy or will this be a good time to go? We are a bit spoiled as our two previous visits were always off peak so we have not experienced big crowds. We just don't want to spend the whole vacation waiting on line. Your help is appreciated!
sob29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
kadesha
DIS Veteran

I'm going to be there over Memorial Day and people have told me that the crowds are not near 10's. I've also been checking for availability at Disney resorts and there seems to still be plenty of availability. So I'm hoping the crowds won't be terrible!

Last trips: August 2006, May 2007, November 2008, June 2009, and May 2012

Kadesha
Al
Alyssa
Destiny
kadesha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
cmhguy
Mouseketeer

From our experience, Memorial Day weekend itself is busy - but I understand it's nothing like the 4th of July or spring break busy. It's manageable - especially if you a do a recommended park and hop for EMH eve or morning. Tues - Thurs of that week, the crowds are much lower!

Also - I felt last year was busier than previous years at that time - including eve EMHs! I attributed it to a rare free dinning offer for that time of year - no real proof of this just my observation. In years past, the week days were much lower too than last year. Eve EMHs in prior years were empty!

With that said - on the following Sunday, the first full week of June, it's VERY noticeable to us more schools are getting out.... the resortd start to feel more crowded.....parking lots are busier and breakfasts more crowded.... We have noticed this every time... We used to avoid Memorial Day for fear it would be busy and arrive a few days after - but now we go sooner over Memorial Day and like to leave the first part of June.
cmhguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Suellen
DIS Veteran

There is also a huge Girl Scout event Memorial Day weekend at Epcot. Just FYI ~ it may be a little busier than normal!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
sob29
Earning My Ears

5/26 and 5/27 which parks should we visit?

We are going for a week and all parks look to be jam packed that weekend however there are ton of discount hotels and dining reservations. If we want to go to Universal are we better off going there on Sunday or Monday? We arrive early Saturday and will have 5 or 6 day park hopper passes plus one day at Universal. The kids (8 and 10) will want to do something. We were also thinking of doing Cape Kennedy. Just wondering if we should avoid the parks all together our first two days. We are basing our information on the Touring Plans website. Thanks for your help.

May 2003 Wilderness Lodge
September 2006 Polynesian
February 2009 Caribbean Beach Resort
May 26-June 2 Dolphin (We think....unless this is a bad week)
Old 03-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

There will also be a very large influx of visitors from May 29 thru June 4 for an annual celebration held in the Orlando area theme parks.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

We thought we'd run down there for a few days BEFORE Memorial Day weekend so hopefully it won't be too crowded...we are arrived on 5/20. I think most schools are still in session so that should help. So excited!!!...even though we've only been home for 3 days since our Leap Day trip, LOL!!

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...
March 2001 – ASMo June 2001 - ASMu July 2002 - Coronado Springs May 2003 - AKL Sept 2004 - POP - MNSSHP Oct 2005 - ASSp - MNSSHP Feb 2007 - POP - Pirate & Princess Party Nov 2009 – POP - DDs Sweet 16, MNSSHP
Sept 2010 - POP - MNSSHP Dec 2010 - POP - MVMCP Oct 2011 – POP - MNSSHP Feb 2012 - POP - One More Disney Day Whole 24 Hrs! May 2012 - POP Oct 2012 – POP - MNSSHP Dec 2012 – POP - MVMCP March 2013 - POP - My 40th B'day!
May 2013 - POP - Monstrous Summer - Whole 24 Hours! October 2013 - POP - MNSSHP
May 2014 – POP – Rock Your Disney Side – Whole 24 Hours!

Upcoming Trips
Aug 2014 - POP - Villains Unleashed! Sept 2014 – POP – MNSSHP Nov 2014 – Port Orleans Royal Room – Dds 21st B'Day! Dec 2014 – POP – MVMCP
Just_Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
MolonLabe
DTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
There will also be a very large influx of visitors from May 29 thru June 4 for an annual celebration held in the Orlando area theme parks.
It's usually held the same time frame every year...
https://www.gaydays.com/

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
sob29
Earning My Ears

We will be avoiding the Gay Day parks and pursuing the Girl Scout option. They have great ticket prices and my daughter is so excited we will be able to participate. My son is an honorary Girl Scout as has participated in most of his sisters girl scout activities ....including bridging from brownies to juniors. He proudly exclaims he is a girl scout and a boy scout! The Girl Scout packaged sealed our fate for Memorial day weekend/week.

Tags
crowds, memorial day

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: