Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #76
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,358
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
Also.. since my DD10 is not yet 90lb and that is one of the requirements of ziplining what will they have her do in place of ziplining?
Is that DCL's requirement or ABD's requirement? Frequently, DCL's requirements are much stricter than the actual excursion operators', and ABD would have their own relationship with the tour operator. I'd call ABD and ask them that question. If your daughter is old enough to be on the ABD, but not big enough to go on the zipline, they *will* have an alternate activity for her and any other kids in that situation.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 02-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #77
KingK12
No boo boo, but Yes, I wanna get sauced
 
KingK12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 207

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here because I been to Alaska before. This trip will probably be a little pricey but it will definitely be worth every penny! The landscape and wildlife you will encounter is breath taking and will sure to be one of the favorite memories of the whole trip. Have a great time and take a lot of pictures for us to see!
__________________
KingK12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #78
lucky1
Face Character
 
lucky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Southwest Desert
Posts: 2,669

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingK12 View Post
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here because I been to Alaska before. This trip will probably be a little pricey but it will definitely be worth every penny! The landscape and wildlife you will encounter is breath taking and will sure to be one of the favorite memories of the whole trip. Have a great time and take a lot of pictures for us to see!
I don't disagree with you. And since you will see the Landscape and Wildlife with general excursions offered by DCL. But trying to figure out if we can justify the extra's that ABD provides and the extra cost we would add.

We already know we will be spending a lot on this trip for the experience, but trying to justify the additional costs.
__________________
Lucky1
Ready to go to DL or WDW at anytime
Part of a Disney Family
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #79
lucky1
Face Character
 
lucky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Southwest Desert
Posts: 2,669

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Is that DCL's requirement or ABD's requirement? Frequently, DCL's requirements are much stricter than the actual excursion operators', and ABD would have their own relationship with the tour operator. I'd call ABD and ask them that question. If your daughter is old enough to be on the ABD, but not big enough to go on the zipline, they *will* have an alternate activity for her and any other kids in that situation.

Sayhello
I contacted ABD and their restriction matches the Vendor and not DCL. She does not meet the weight requirements and they may or may not do tandem ziplines, but the alternative they mentioned is a skybridge.
__________________
Lucky1
Ready to go to DL or WDW at anytime
Part of a Disney Family
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #80
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,358
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
I contacted ABD and their restriction matches the Vendor and not DCL. She does not meet the weight requirements and they may or may not do tandem ziplines, but the alternative they mentioned is a skybridge.
I knew they'd have something worked out. ABD is very on top of that sort of thing!

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #81
CliveO
Earning My Ears
 
CliveO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 25

Alaska is so beautiful! I went there on this cruise about 5 years ago and I recently started putting a few dollars aside to try and get back sometime this fall.
CliveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #82
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 848

Lucky1, from my posts above you can see that I really went back and forth on this. I was thrilled when Disney reduced the price of the ABD Add-on after our letters, but after doing a spreadsheet(!) and carefully looking at the cost, I decided that even with the reduction it was hard to justify.

In addition to removing the highest cost and best reviewed excursion from the itinerary (helicopter/dog mushing), they've also taken away small things like Palo and the animation lesson. From my spreadsheet, I came up with a "value" of $1327. For an adult that leaves $573/person not easily qualified (things like unknown extras, the value of smaller groups and private activities, the value of the two adventure guides, etc.).

I might have been able to persuade myself it was "worth it" if they were still doing the dog sledding. The way I looked at it was I would be paying a huge premium and NOT getting a chance to do the excursion I most wanted to do. I'm also still annoyed that they don't have an activity for one of the ports (Victoria). You'd think with activities on only three of the "eight" days anyway, they'd be looking to do something!
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #83
lucky1
Face Character
 
lucky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Southwest Desert
Posts: 2,669

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl09 View Post

I might have been able to persuade myself it was "worth it" if they were still doing the dog sledding. The way I looked at it was I would be paying a huge premium and NOT getting a chance to do the excursion I most wanted to do. I'm also still annoyed that they don't have an activity for one of the ports (Victoria). You'd think with activities on only three of the "eight" days anyway, they'd be looking to do something!
Hi CaliforniaGirl09 I hear you. I did a similar spreadsheet, but what I could not calculate was the fact that there are some surprises that they will not tell you about..

I did ask if they would add something at Victoria since they only have 3 days worth of activities. I also asked if they would discount for those that did not meet the requirements of the excursion since everyone can do the skybridge as well as zipline, She said she understood, but she said Disney is concerned about safety first.

Honestly since 2 of the 3 ports is exactly what we wanted to do and the rest of the group wants to do the ziplining, still really thinking about it.
__________________
Lucky1
Ready to go to DL or WDW at anytime
Part of a Disney Family
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #84
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 848

Yes, the little surprises went into my catch all of $573. I've done Adventures by Disney before and LOVED it, but none of the surprises were high value type of things.

Did she give you a response as to why they haven't scheduled something in Victoria? I never did get an explanation.
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.