Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #1381
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Love all the pictures of AK in the dark! Very cool! Our very first time at AK was on a EMH evening, and it was so neat.

I had to laugh about how you enjoy A Bug's Life -- I have a feeling I will never be doing that one again with the kids. It would take an act of Congress to get them back in there. LOL! I, too, can't wait to find out what your nephews' reaction is to it.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #1382
MEK
DIS Veteran

So my top secret plans this weekend included a quick getaway to Long Island with one of my neighbors and her friends. We stayed in Yaphank NY

Here we are:

We started on the east end of Long Island

Sparkling Point

We rented a limo

No - not that limo, but rather this pimp mobile

We had a wonderful drive named Gene, who was the best. But I called the limo the pimp mobile because it looked like it was straight out of a 70's Eddy Murphy movie. Here's the lights on the ceiling.

We stopped at Duck Walk?

Osprey

We got kicked out of Martha Clara for not having a reservation

But we had a reserved table at Peconic Bay

And guess who lives RIGHT around the corner from Peconic Bay

Melissa

And she stopped by to have a glass of wine with us. How great was that????

It was a very fun afternoon and I can't wait to go back.

But on the ride home we went through some tunnel? QMT maybe? and ended up in the city.

Yup - that's right. I was in Brooklyn today as a driver! OMG!

We got lost in the city! It's an hour of my life I will never get back and I couldn't find the Lincoln Tunnel to save my life. I've never be so happy to see New Jersey!

So I'll be back later with replies. I'm going to chill on the couch for awhile!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 03-04-2012 at 05:02 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #1383
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a blast. I am FB frinds with the brother of my childhood best friend and he lives out there. When I looked on Fb it alomost sounded like he had company and I was wondering if you ended up knowing him or his wife.

That would have been a real small world moment.

Gettting lost in the city- I could never take a tunnel always the bridges. I avoided Manhattan like the plague.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #1384
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

I hope the waitlist comes through for you Mary Ellen.

Woohoo on riding EE in the dark!!! Finally got to put your plan into action lol.

Great Christmas tree pics
Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #1385
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Well, despite the getting lost, it sounds like you all had a great time.

RIP Genie
Old 03-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #1386
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Sorry you got lost, that is so stressful. But glad you had a fun time otherwise

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #1387
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Fun weekend except for getting lost. Yikes!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #1388
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I think I subscribe to too many things, but once I start a story I have to finish it!
I pretty much finish every TR I sub too. However, sometimes I start to get lost with some of the most popular TRs because there is usually so much banter. I also prefer TR's that announce an update because I'm too lazy to look.

Quote:
And it's coming up soon, that'll be a really nice break. I meant to say my fingers are crossed for your waitlisted day, it would be a pain to have to move again. I've already used up all my 2013 points, trying to figure out how I'm going to buy some more when the Grand Floridian opens up

If I have to move on that last day I may just stay off site again because they really can't kick me off property until midnight. I would like to spend my last afternoon with some quality pool time!

I would love to have GF points, but I know they are way too expensive. I will just be happy to settle for a night or two there. Can't wait!

Quote:
I'm so glad Nick could go with you for this trip, I'm sure it's really nice to spend quality time with your boys individually.
I really enjoyed having Nick along in December. Unfortunately, he is not too thrilled to be going again in June. I think he has hit the full-on teenager stage. Fun!

Quote:
I'm sad I had to, but I have a potential new job in the works, and my pay in full day is this Saturday and I won't hear about the job until next week. They already had to delay my start date, they were very accomodating about the upcoming cruise so I didn't want to push the envelope. I rescheduled it for 12/13, I hear they gussy the ships up just as much as the resorts so it'll be nice.
I bet a Christmas cruise will be lovely and you will probably be so thrilled when the time actually comes.

Congrats on the new job!

Quote:
Have a fabulous weekend, can't wait to hear about it
Long Island was a lot of fun. first time there! The wineries were a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Loved the update, MaryEllen. So glad you finally got to do EE at night...even if it didn't "wow" you (in my eyes you are brave for going on it at all ).
Yes - that's me - the brave one! I loved my night time ride, but the change between day and night was just not as dramatic at on BTMMR. Still, that drop was pretty cool in the pitch black. Glad we did it.

Quote:
I loved the photos as you walked over to EE...so pretty. We've never seen AK at night.
AK is SO cool at night. I don't know why they don't keep it open later. I will definitely miss the late EMH this summer. Oh well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Yeah, you will have moved 3 times by then right, I'd want to stay put too! Maybe a nice discount will come out for the one night, they did just extend the spring discount though 6/14, not sure what that all covers though.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Well, 3 different hotels. But I am not counting arrival because we will definitely stay someplace off site. I am thinking of doing the same if we don't get that last night at BWV. The CM also told me I can continue to check while we are there, if it doesn't come through. So I may just do that and book a back-up somewhere near the airport. Our flight leaves at 11am so if we hang at Disney all day, have dinner on property, then we can swing over to some airport hotel in the evening.

Quote:
Ok that would totally be stressing me out. Are you worried at all that they won't go/don't see the value or get it?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I am getting very worried now that they don't seem 100% committed. I think they will go, but why don't they want to wrap up their travel arrangements? I don't even want to discuss it with them until they have their travel arrangements. And - no - they don't get it. To my brother it is just an inconvenient vacation. He keeps saying to me, "I don't do rides".
And I keep saying, "So?" He totally does not get it. He wants to drive all night and get there and go to sleep.

The only vacations they take are 3 nights to the beach because they can't handle being around their kids any longer than that. They should just let me take the two oldest and stay home! I knew it was going to be a weird trip, but I am doing this for the kids, not the crazy parents.

Quote:
I think my favorite part, in the dark, is actually the ride up and seeing the TOL all lit up and realizing just how high up you are. SO beautiful but added to the scariness (for me) from a height perspective...it seemed so much MORE for some reason![/COLOR][/SIZE]

OMG - I didn't event hink to look for that. I never turned and looked backwards and on the drop I was too busy screaming.

Quote:
That is a seriously cool wine glass, Denny did good!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I that glass. I have to show you the cute wine thing I bought in LI. Actually, I'm so dumb because I should have bought one for each of us for October. DOH!

Quote:
I LOVE the picture of the 3 of you before Dinosaur, one of my favorites.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Mine too. Definitely my fav picture of the trip!

Quote:
I love it that LOS counts as a ride/attraction!

Have a great weekend, wherever you are going!
Well, it is, isn't it?

Weekend was fun!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 03-05-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #1389
thecapells
Disney Dad

Glad you got your EE night mission accomplished.
You'll never get me on that thing.

I hear Big Thunder Mountain is supposed to better at night as well.
I tried that on the last trip but we hit it too early and it wasn't actually
dark yet.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #1390
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Great Update, That's awesome you met your goal of EE in the Dark, too bad it was not as much of a thrill as you thought.

I love ITTBAB too!
Thanks! I'm so glad we finally got to do EE at night and it really was fun! If I ever get to do it again I am trying the "lift your feet" trick that someone wrote about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Have a great trip!
Thanks! The wineries on Long Island were definitely fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
I love that picture of the 3 of you...it's so nice! We have never been in AK after dark but your pictures have me wanted to see it now! I have always been a bit leary of it....snakes and bugs in the dark....always scares me
Thanks! I love that picture, too. It's my favorite of the whole trip and I should probably bet it framed!

I never really thought about the snakes and bugs things. Thanks for that visual.

But actually, I wonder how Disney does control outside varments in a park like that? It makes you think, doesn't it? They must have to have all kinds of procedures in place for pest control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Love all the pictures of AK in the dark! Very cool! Our very first time at AK was on a EMH evening, and it was so neat.
That is so cool that your first trip to AK was in the dark. I LOVE AK in the dark. It's definitely the coolest dark park. I have a picture of EE that I took in 09 and the entire mountain was lit up. So cool. I guess they don't do that anymore!

Quote:
I had to laugh about how you enjoy A Bug's Life -- I have a feeling I will never be doing that one again with the kids. It would take an act of Congress to get them back in there. LOL! I, too, can't wait to find out what your nephews' reaction is to it.
Really? Your kids don't like it? Brian hates it. Once he was old enough to be on his own he totally refused to go in there.

I know LJ liked it, but I'll be curious to see what the rest of my nephews think. Should be interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Sounds like a blast. I am FB frinds with the brother of my childhood best friend and he lives out there. When I looked on Fb it alomost sounded like he had company and I was wondering if you ended up knowing him or his wife.
We stayed at my neighbor's brother's house. He was in the Bahamas for the weekend, so his wife planned the girls trip. It was 3 Delaware girls and 4 long island girls. It was pretty rowdy, to say the least. Finding out I was right near Melissa's house was so cool and I'm so happy see came out to meet me.

Quote:
That would have been a real small world moment.
It sure would have!

Quote:
Gettting lost in the city- I could never take a tunnel always the bridges. I avoided Manhattan like the plague.
Ugh! We followed the gps on the way there and did not end up lost. But going back the GPS took me through the QMT (Queens Manhatten tunnel?) and the road signs completely disappeared. Of course I picked the wrong road. I should just know to always stay left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
I hope the waitlist comes through for you Mary Ellen.
Thanks! I really hope so too. I would love to stay there a fourth night. I have a feeling we are going to love the location!

W
Quote:
oohoo on riding EE in the dark!!! Finally got to put your plan into action lol.
So glad I finally crossed it off my bucket list. It was fun and definitely worth the wait!

Quote:
Great Christmas tree pics
thanks! I love the AK tree because I love that whole theme. Probably my fav tree!

Quote:
Well, despite the getting lost, it sounds like you all had a great time.
I can't believe that was my first trip ever to Long Island. I bet it is gorgeous there in the summer and fall! I would love to go back, but NOT if I'm the drive again!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #1391
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Looks like a great time in Long Island! Sorry about the surprise Brooklyn visit.

I like your nighttime AK pics! Glad you finally got to experience EE in the dark (or near-dark). And what's up with Denny taking work calls? There's no work at Disney World!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #1392
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Other than the little, shall we say, excursion, it looks like you girls had a great time in Long Island! I'm in love with the painting above the fireplace in the third picture down. Might have to play with that technique a little!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #1393
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I would love to have GF points, but I know they are way too expensive. I will just be happy to settle for a night or two there. Can't wait!
Have they made an announcement how much they'll be? I let my CM know I wanted to add on there but he hasn't let me know yet.

Quote:

I really enjoyed having Nick along in December. Unfortunately, he is not too thrilled to be going again in June. I think he has hit the full-on teenager stage. Fun!
I do not like that stage

Quote:

I bet a Christmas cruise will be lovely and you will probably be so thrilled when the time actually comes.

Congrats on the new job!
I agree, I'm already excited about seeing the decorations.

Haven't heard the final word about the job yet, still crossing my fingers.

Quote:

AK is SO cool at night. I don't know why they don't keep it open later. I will definitely miss the late EMH this summer. Oh well!
I still do not understand why they don't have them year round. It really cuts into the day when they close at 5.

Quote:

I am getting very worried now that they don't seem 100% committed. I think they will go, but why don't they want to wrap up their travel arrangements? I don't even want to discuss it with them until they have their travel arrangements. And - no - they don't get it. To my brother it is just an inconvenient vacation. He keeps saying to me, "I don't do rides".
And I keep saying, "So?" He totally does not get it. He wants to drive all night and get there and go to sleep.

The only vacations they take are 3 nights to the beach because they can't handle being around their kids any longer than that. They should just let me take the two oldest and stay home! I knew it was going to be a weird trip, but I am doing this for the kids, not the crazy parents.

This would drive me crazy.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #1394
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sorry you got lost, that is so stressful. But glad you had a fun time otherwise
After driving around for the first 45 minutes it definitely started to get very frustrating. I was very calm at first, but that obviously did not last.

Quote:
Fun weekend except for getting lost. Yikes!
It was a very fun weekend and such a bonus to see Melissa! I could have lived without the detour though. I remember thinking, "I wonder where Brook lives?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapells View Post
Glad you got your EE night mission accomplished.
You'll never get me on that thing.
Yes- mission accomplished!

Really? Never? Do you think your kids will want to ride it at some point. That's how I got shamed into riding coasters again. I'm glad I did. They are so fun. Well, some of them are down right terrifying looking, but I avoid those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapells View Post
I hear Big Thunder Mountain is supposed to better at night as well.
I tried that on the last trip but we hit it too early and it wasn't actually
dark yet.
BTMMR is AWESOME at night. Best night time ride on property. You MUST try it. You and the family will love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Looks like a great time in Long Island! Sorry about the surprise Brooklyn visit.
Long Island was a blast. The surprise Brooklyn (or whereever I was) visit - Not so much. That drive made Friday afternoon on 95 and Rt 1 look like a walk in the park. Plus I can't wait to see my EZpass bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I like your nighttime AK pics! Glad you finally got to experience EE in the dark (or near-dark). And what's up with Denny taking work calls? There's no work at Disney World!
Oh - it was dark alright. Since I waited all day I was not about to let one moment of light get in the way.

Maybe that phone call really wasn't work? Uh Oh! seriously - Denny has been so busy at work over the past year that he constantly gets work calls. It's annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Other than the little, shall we say, excursion, it looks like you girls had a great time in Long Island! I'm in love with the painting above the fireplace in the third picture down. Might have to play with that technique a little!
Excursion! Yes it certainly was!

We did have a ton of fun and those pictures at that winery were lovely. It was a gorgeous (although very expensive) place that served all sparkling wines. I could have hung out there all day it was so pretty!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #1395
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Have they made an announcement how much they'll be? I let my CM know I wanted to add on there but he hasn't let me know yet.
I haven't heard an annoucement yet. I am just guessing that they are going to be expensive. The question is HOW expensive?

I
Quote:
do not like that stage
It really is not a fun stage and its tough because Nick is usually so good natured.

Quote:
I agree, I'm already excited about seeing the decorations.
They are going to be lovely!

Quote:
Haven't heard the final word about the job yet, still crossing my fingers.
Well I will keep my fingers crossed too! I hope the news is nothing but good news! I'm sure it must look favorable for you to have changed your job.

Quote:
I still do not understand why they don't have them year round. It really cuts into the day when they close at 5.

They should have them year roun. I agree. If they ever open that Avatar land I think they will have to keep the park open later.

Quote:
This would drive me crazy.
It is really starting to drive me crazy. I could be inviting someone else to go and I haven't even put their name on the reservation yet.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: