Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #271
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Hi there!!! I have been away the past week from the DIS, after our cruise I got back and have been running ever since!!! School play opened last night, so I was uber busy all last week with preparations, projects at school, and such, so I am finally trying to get organized! BUT so fun to slip over here and finally, FINALLY see what you got going!!! WOOT WOOT! So much fun! I think this is just too funny that my summer last year looked a lot like this summer you are planning THIS year
It is! I feel very unoriginal but that's ok.

Quote:
OH I can give you lots of tips, and I am sure Anita can too, they were far more adventurous than we! Honestly, we never left Vero resort Five nights on the cruise followed by five nights at Vero were perfect for us, and I am sure your stay will be just as enjoyable. I really loved the vibe there, and the kids had a great time, too!!!! I have lots of photos on my TR from last summer as well!
It will be interesting to see if it holds enough for us, without leaving at all. I suspect not but you never know and weather will certainly play a part. I don't think we are planning any official outings from there except maybe to dine. Jeff was wondering if we even needed a car for the entire time but I think it's safer to have one.

Quote:
Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your plans, and hope all the family coordination works out in her favor. She will love the cruise and Vero, I hope Kendall is able to come for the whole time!
Yeah, even though she is old enough to fly solo and could handle it, none of us want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Okay, that makes sense, I think. Nice to know about the member cash vs. points. I am about 27 short for BCV if we decide we want to stay there, so it's nice to know it would be better to do the cash than buy the points.
You can only buy up to 24 so the purchase option might not even help in that case. If you are only short a couple of points though it makes a ton of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Have a great week and don't get too far ahead of me!
You too! Hawaii, house hunting, you've got fun stuff coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Vero looks amazing. I agree about the rooms, but maybe they'll look better in person. Curious to see if you booked a WDW night after the cruise.
I do think a number of DVC resort rooms look dated, it's not just Vero. If they could get away from bedspreads across the board, that would help! But in this case the furniture does appear a bit tired as well. We will see though! We are there for the beach and pool, not the living room anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
I hadn't seen that new artwork - LOVE it!! And hoping they have all the merch by the time you arrive (and that you will take pictures of it all. ) We have yet to try Vero, but it's high on the list. Vero + a cruise is PERFECTION!

Were you able to get your day at WDW too?
Isn't it adorable! I want a coffee cup, a beach towel and a cute tee with it, if they have all those with the new art. SO cute! Supposedly it is hitting something this spring.

Last edited by eandesmom; 03-04-2012 at 03:09 PM.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #272
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Well, you had a lot going on! Honestly, even last summer at SAB with my husband and only one kid, I don't think I spent any time on a lounge chair. But the lazy river was nice.
I only went in it once, didn't have a tube and it was deep so that was the end of that. LOL.

Quote:
Fun fact about my Disney experiences thus far: we've yet to experience a thunderstorm. Talk about luck and I probably just jinxked us now, so I should go knock on some wood.
You may get one in July. Maybe your timing has been good to not have one, that's very very cool! We hadn't had any until that August trip but there was one on most days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I think Vero Beach is the perfect place for your first stay! That will be so much fun, and I love the new artwork. Hopefully there will be lots of neat souvenirs with it!
I hope so, it's adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Catching up !!! Cynthia the girls keep having all these weird theme days , when they appeared with a Lei I figured Hawaiin day, but when it was twins day I never noticed , Oh hey wait a minute they are TWINS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #273
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Now that we've bought it, can we sell it?

The weekend of January 14th promised to be a busy one. Soccer tournament with icky early am start times and long drives plus a whole host of other events between scouts, swimming, math tutors and more. Basically a normal weekend! We decided that Sunday would be a great time to tell Kendall about the cruise, and the beach.

As we headed south in the early hours of the morning, snow started to fall. Great. It was already cold, soccer in the snow isn’t ideal for anyone. Thankfully for once Kendall had a agreed to wear a base layer, at least on top but we didn’t have any workable gloves for playing which was a bummer. We got K dropped off and then headed for coffee and decided that after the game, we’d go out for coffee and cocoa (as we normally would anyway) and tell her then.

While we had our coffee, watching the snow fall outside and enjoying a warm pastry, we each checked the news on our phones. Something had happened on January 13th. Something that we hadn’t caught yet on the news until that morning of the 15th. The Costa Concordia. Images of the stricken ship were unreal, that something like that could actually happen.

Having watched more than our share of shows recently that showed some of the biggest ships in the world, having some understanding of the navigational tools available it was unthinkable to us that this could have happened, on a standard route. It wasn’t unknown, untraveled waters by any stretch of the imagination. There had to be more to the story. We discussed it during the entire time K was warming up, it was just so unbelievable. The story there just seems to get crazier and crazier...that line has to be in major trouble at this point now that there was the power outage event on another ship. At the time though, while it didn't remotely give us cause for concern all I could think of was what K’s mom would do, that she might use this incident to try and oppose our trip.

It was a very snowy and slick game, you could see the ball skate across the field and our girls just couldn’t track it and respond accordingly. Kendall played well but it was a tough team and tough conditions and with that loss, the tournament came to an end. Frozen and bummed, after the loss we headed back to Panera for treats. My husband, in his infinite wisdom thought that sharing the Costa Concordia incident AND PICTURES with Kendall would be a good conversation starter.

I about had a heart attack

And almost jumped across the table to kill him

In that moment, I swear by all things holy, he was channeling his father.

Who has some of the weirdest unimaginable timing on things, and thinking what is appropriate or not at any given time.

As I’m sitting there silently dying in side he launches in.

“On that note…how would you like to go on a cruise to the Bahamas?”

Oh.My.Word.

Really? You show a sinking ship and then ask her?

Really?

As mind boggling as it might seem…

We had her.

At

Bahamas.

Seriously. The Concordia event didn’t even remotely seem to register with her as a concern, not for a millisecond.

Before Jeff could even tell her what ship and any details her entire face lit up at the word Bahamas and she said "Yes!" while he was mid sentence! I haven’t seen a reaction out of her like that in…I don’t know when. About anything. It was one of the coolest things ever.

As we chatted, getting more specific Dream and Vero and talked about dates she got more and more excited. We told her we hadn’t booked flights yet but were going to soon. It was at that point she realized that both the cruise and the beach were actually booked and if it was possible, she got even more excited about the whole thing. Jeff had to throw in there “no Disney World” even though she hadn’t made the connection that we would be right there and didn’t seem concerned about whether there was or wasn’t. I think, in his mind, he was pre-empting an argument his ex might pose, that we’d already been there done that but I didn’t think it was necessary to bring up. As we drove home, she looked at the ship and restaurants images on Jeff’s phone and asked some questions. We gave her some of the literature about the ship once we got home and she took that with her when she headed back to her mom’s. It’s been fun to see since then; she’s actually gotten some additional info from one of her team mates who went on the Dream last year. Nothing beats insider tips from a friend!

Now the question was, how would his ex react? Right before, or after he dropped Kendall off at her mom's Jeff emailed his ex the date range (since we didn’t have our flights yet) letting her know what we’d planned it around soccer wise, to negate those concerns up front. I have no idea what came first, his email or Kendall telling her but in either case, Kendall’s excitement negated any opposition and grudging agreement was had. That night. Which is almost unheard of. Typically she will ignore requests like this for weeks if she can and it can take multiple attempts to get a response. Kendall must have been REALLY excited for us to get agreement that same night. She isn’t thrilled about it, that came over loud and clear, but since she took our time last year, didn’t have much of a leg to stand on, especially with Kendall that excited. This doesn’t mean that the path was clear for no future issues but at least we had enough of a green light to move on flights. Unlike the cruise and Vero, those could not be rescheduled without major penalties and with airfares going nuts we were feeling the pressure to move sooner rather than later .

It was nice to go into the week, which turned into snowmageddon here and kids stuck home all week with no school, dreaming of beaches and boat drinks and knowing we were that much closer to it becoming a reality.

Up next, when to tell the E’s and how high would the flights get?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #274
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Thank you and Aloha!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #276
MEK
DIS Veteran

I watched a documentary on the Concordia. What a major screw up!

So great that Kendall was totally psyched about the cruise. Now the question is - How will her mother take it?

And the E's? ARe they totally excited? I hope so.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #277
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I remember you saying that Jeff mentioned the Costa Concordia and then brought up the idea of a cruise. What an icebreaker!

I'm glad that Kendall was so excited. You are going to have a great time!

Love that snowmageddon picture.
glennbo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #278
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

I love the plan of attack.
How can men put a disaster of a cruise ship and a trip on a criuse ship together?

Good thing Kendall wasn't listening.

I hope you have no more surprises with Kendall's mom.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #279
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Wow...those Concordia pictures are scary. But I can see how a trip to the Bahamas could overrule all that. Glad that it went so smoothly.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #280
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

The photo of the Concordia is scary. Amazing that something like that could happen.

So glad you didn't have too much drama with Kendall's mother.

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #282
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Cynthia, so glad that Kendall was excited about the Bahamas/cruise. I'm glad to see Jeff's ex gave in so quickly; I hope she doesn't throw any obstacles in the way once the flights are made, etc.

What Jeff did sounds like something almost any man would do.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #283
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

I had to smile about how excited Kendall was! And what a bonus that her excitement did make things smoother on the planning side...

I guess the Es will be equally happy with the summer trip plans since they loved the Alaska cruise so much!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #284
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Glad to hear Kendall was so excited.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #285
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I watched a documentary on the Concordia. What a major screw up!
It's an ongoing saga for sure, the stories just seem to get uglier and uglier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
So great that Kendall was totally psyched about the cruise. Now the question is - How will her mother take it?

And the E's? ARe they totally excited? I hope so.
So far so good with her mom but you know that it's so far away, any real issues will come up much closer. Right now she's too busy immersing herself in soccer drama to think about our vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I remember you saying that Jeff mentioned the Costa Concordia and then brought up the idea of a cruise. What an icebreaker!
How anyone could think that was a great way to start talking about cruising is still beyond me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm glad that Kendall was so excited. You are going to have a great time!

Love that snowmageddon picture.
I'm grateful it didn't floor her at all, she is excited which is very nice! that picture cracks me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I love the plan of attack.
How can men put a disaster of a cruise ship and a trip on a criuse ship together?

Good thing Kendall wasn't listening.
It is absolutely beyond me! She was listening and looking at the pictures but it didn't seem to faze her an iota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I hope you have no more surprises with Kendall's mom.
Me too, I try not to think too hard. If it happens, we will deal with it. It is safe to say the chance it will happen at some point, probably June if I had to put money on it, is relatively high.

Quote:
Wow...those Concordia pictures are scary. But I can see how a trip to the Bahamas could overrule all that. Glad that it went so smoothly.
The word bahamas wiped out all else apparently. Gotta love it!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: