Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
pls5286
DIS Veteran

Need input on autistic child/school issue please

My DSS is 12 and goes to a special school for behavior challenged kids. He is autistic, ADHD, ODD, Bi-polar, and Rage-anger syndrome. It is a lot for a kid his age to deal with. We had a problem at school a few weeks ago where he used a couple of very racial derogatory terms and it landed him into a fight. We know where the terms came from. His mom's house. His cousin that lives with her uses these terms regularly.

Anyway, Earlier this week, the school showed his class, which is a room full of behavior challenged 6th graders the movie Pride for Black History Month. I have no problem with them teaching Black History Month. My two other kids are learning it too this month. The problem is the movie. Robert came home and vividly told us what language they were using, every word you can imagine, which is one problem we are having with him at school, and then told us all of the behavior that was used in this movie. The kids bulling one another, beating up cops, etc. DH and I watch part of this movie and it is one we would not approve our 15 y/o watching, much less our Autistic child.

We were never made aware this movie was being shown in class until he had watched it and one of the problems we have with him is acting out movies and video games he sees which is why we have restricted him to rated E games and gentle PG movies.

How would you feel about this. I also want to say his behavior at school has deteriorated since this movie has been shown. He has been hitting and kicking more and cussing at the teachers!

What would you do about this movie?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

It sound like you have a reasonable perspective and a discussion about what is in the best interest of your child with school administrators would be completely appropriate.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
eternaldisneyfan
Have an Attitude of Gratitude!
*sadly, no emoticons because my pix max out the limit-my words will have to stand alone*

what is the show called & rated?? I think you are being completely reasonable. I would request an alternate assignment. How about a documentary on mlk? or the disney movie perfect harmony? talk to the school.

Boo'd!! Frosted , Snowed , Ho ho'd Tree'd!
"Everything in life is a choice. Even if the only choice we have is the attitude with which we embrace each moment." Mattie Stepanek
eternaldisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: