Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Eating Healthy
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #91
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Okay friends..... lots of yummy recipes here that I want to try. I need to write a grocery list for some of them today on my lunch hour so I can buy ingredients tonight! I'll let you all know what I try and how it turns out!....P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #92
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

pork stew

2 small white onions
2 large carrots
500g cubed pork pieces
600g potatoes (use a floury variety thats good for mashing)
300ml stock (from a cube is fine)

optional extras can include parsnips or cooking apples for a change in flavour

Saute finely sliced onions in a little melted butter or olive oil until transluscent. Add pork pieces and cook for 5 mins until meat sealed on all sides. Add pealed and chopped carrots and potatoes to the pot along with stock and lower heat. Cook slowly over a low heat until potatoes and pork cooked through. Potatoes should be blending with stock in places. If mixture seems too solid you can add more stock as needed. Season to taste.
This really is a recipe for long slow cooking so that pork has that melt in the mouth texture, easy to cook in slow cooker (think you guys may call it crockpot?) or on top of stove at low heat.
I make a double quantity of this and freeze half as it reheats well
luvpoohandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #93
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebookworm9 View Post
Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients
4 cups vegetable broth
12oz (about half a squash) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 - 1 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 large vidalia onion, cut into 2 inch cubes
1/2 small apple, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
1/8 tsp nutmeg, or to taste

Instructions
1. In a large stock pot, combine broth, squash, onion, and apple; cover pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover pot and reduce heat to low; gently simmer until squash is very tender, about 10 minutes.

2. Puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in a regular blender in batches, careful not to splatter hot liquid). Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg; serve.

Serves 12; 1/2 cup serving
Making this Saturday! I can't wait cause I love BN squash!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ougrad86 View Post
Made this the other day, it was really good and only 5 points per serving! Very spicy though, so if any in your family is sensitive or does not like spices, might want to reduce them accordingly.
It is not pretty, but tastes better than it looks! It is a receipe from Weight Watchers.

A fabulous South African version of meatloaf. Serve with rice and tangy cucumber relish.

Prep time: 20 min Cook time: 47 min
Serves: 8

1 spray(s) cooking spray
1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef
1 medium uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
1 medium fresh apple(s), Granny Smith, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s), finely chopped
1/2 cup(s) raisins
2 leaf/leaves bay leaf
1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced

Spice Mix
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground

Remaining Ingredients
1/4 cup(s) red wine, dry-variety
3 Tbsp mango chutney
2 large egg(s)
1/2 cup(s) low-fat milk

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, cook meat until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain meat; set aside.

In same skillet (do not wipe out pan), over medium-low heat, combine onion, apple, carrot, raisins and bay leaves; cook, stirring frequently until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and spice mix; cook for 2 minutes.

Stir meat into vegetable mixture; pour in wine and scrape bottom and sides of pan with a spoon to loosen any stuck pieces of food. Simmer mixture for 5 minutes; remove from heat. Remove bay leaves; stir in chutney. Spoon meat mixture into prepared pan.

In a small bowl, thoroughly whisk together eggs and milk; pour over meat mixture, tilting pan to evenly cover top. Bake until egg layer is set, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.

Carol
This is on the schedule for Friday night, but I haven't been able to find the mango chutney. Any suggestions? I have a fresh mango here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
curried carrot soup

teaspoon butter/olive oil
400g sliced carrots
200g sliced onions
1 medium potato
1 tablespoon curry powder (less if you prefer)
750ml stock (from cube is fine-I use chicken stock cube)
250ml skim milk
chopped parsley to garnish (optional)

Melt butter and then add carrots, onion, potato and curry powder. Stir to coat and cook on low heat for 5mins. Add stock and bring to boil. Simmer for 25-30 mins. Liquidise until smooth. Add milk and season if needed. Bring back up to eating temperature and serve. Sprinkle with parsley garnish (spoonful of cream is also a nice garnish if not watching calorie count).

This is a really filling soup and quantity made serves 4 approx.
Made this Monday night and it got two thumbs up from my SUPER PICKY, vegetable-hating DS!! It was yummy and will definitely be put in the regular line-up!

I'm ready for more new recipes!!!.................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #94
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Index updated.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #95
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Index updated.
Thanks Rose!!

Anyhow...... had the African Meatloaf last night. Got thumbs up from DD and myself, but not the guys. I'll leave it in the rotation, but it will have to be a once-in-a-great-while sort of thing. But at least no one will be fighting me for the leftovers!

Finished the last of the curried carrot soup yesterday.... tried it cold but it was not great. Much better warm.

Off to start the squash soup for lunch!.................P

Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #96
pjlla
<><

Black is the original recipe..... red is my changes.

Tightwad Gazette's Tuna Cheddar Chowder

2 carrots, shredded

1 onion, chopped

1/4 C butter (eliminate this all together or substitute just 1 tsp. EVOO)

1/4 C all-purpose flour

2 C chicken broth (fat free... or fat free vegetable stock)

2 C milk (1% or skim milk)

1 6-7 oz can of tuna, drained and flaked (water packed)

1/2 tsp. celery seed

1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce

1/4 tsp. salt

1 C cheddar cheese (2% shredded cheddar)

In a large saucepan, saute the carrots and onions in the butter (in PAM or just 1 tsp. of EVOO) until the onion is transparent. Mix in the flour. Add the chicken broth and milk. Heat and stir constantly until thick and bubbling. Add the tuna, celery seed, worcestershire, and salt and heat through. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Serves four.

This is waaaay yummier than it sounds! Think of it as a tuna melt in a bowl! I use a stick blender on it BEFORE adding the tuna, just to smooth out the carrot.

...........................P

Last edited by pjlla; 09-11-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Noticed it was missing an ingredient!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #97
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I found this origninally online. It was a Real Simple recipe from 2001. I changed it a lot so I am re-posting it. If you want to see the original recipe here is the link:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=524367

I don't know how many points or calories, but we froze half and have had it at 3 meals.

And just to add, I am a vegetarian and dh is a flexetarian (sp?) but neither one of us is a big fan of tofu. So I was hesitant about this, but it is yummy! Start to finish, I got this in the oven in about 25 min.

6-8 ounces mozz cheese shredded--I used closer to 6
3-4 cups prewashed spinach--I used regular, but you can use baby, if using regular pull the stems off
3/4 of a package of no boil lasagna noodles (12 total)
fresh gr. pepper
sea salt
3 T fresh chopped basil
oregano to taste
3 cloves garlic (pressed)
1 diced red pepper
1 md. diced vidalia onion
1 T olive oil
2 eggs
1/2 c grated Parm
1 pound soft tofu, drained.
40 ounces of no sodium tomato sauce

Heat olive oil over med heat. Add onions and peppers and saute until just
soft. Stir in tomato sauce and continue to heat over low.

Lightly beat the eggs. Add the drained tofu, parm cheese, salt (to taste, we are not big salt eaters so I added a tiny bit), pepper to taste, garlic, basil, and oregano. Mix well.

Spray the bottom of 13x9 pan. Put about a a cup of sauce on bottom of pan. Place 4 noodles on top. Put half of tofu mixture on top. Put about half the spinach on top.

Next add 1/3 of remaining sauce. Top with 4 noodles, Tofu, spinach and small amount of mozz. cheese. Add 1/3 of sauce. Place remaining noodles and lightly push down on noodles. (You want it to all be in the pan). Top with remaining sauce and cheese.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35-45 min until noodles appear done. Take top off and continue to bake for 5 more minutes.
I made this tonight, but split the recipe in half and used regular boiled noodles. Put the lasagna in an 8x8 pan and then split that into 4ths for servings. Adding everything up it ended up around 368 calories for 1/4 of the pan. It was extremely filling. I have to say, I was really skeptical before putting it in the oven because I haven't tried spinach in many things but when I ate it, I was so impressed. It was delicious! A lot of spinach, but it tasted great!

First Disneyland Trip: November 2014!
'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #98
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

bump
Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #99
pjlla
<><

Warm Asian Lettuce Wraps (serves approximately 3-4 folks)

One pound (more or less) of lean pork loin, visible fat removed and diced up for stir-frying (or chicken breast or white fish or firm tofu)

2-3 large red bell peppers, julienned (or any other colored bell pepper)

1-2 large sweet onion, thinly sliced

2 large heads of soft lettuce (I use Butter or Bibb)

Paul Newman's Lowfat Sesame Ginger salad dressing

EVOO or PAM-type spray for sauteeing.

Stir-fry meat in EVOO or spray until cooked through. Remove and keep warm. Sautee onions and peppers until caramelized and slightly browned.

Core, separate, rinse, and dry lettuce leaves, taking care to leave them uncracked and in their "cup" shape.

Serve meat, veggies, and dressing separately and allow people to "build" their own wraps in the lettuce leaf "cups" (like making a fajita or taco). This will allow people to customize with their own quantities of veggies, meat, and dressing.

Or toss meat, onions, and peppers together with a few tablespoons of the dressing and serve in one bowl if that would be faster or easier for your family!

This can be served cold, warm, or room temp.

We prefer warm meat and veggies with cold lettuce leaves. I find that we each tend to eat about 4 wraps (depending on how much we fill them and how large the lettuce leaves are). Iceberg does NOT work well for this, as it tends to crack and break as you try to wrap it around the meat and veggies.

You can prep everything and then just cook when ready for dinner. Or cook ahead and reheat the meat and veggies. I use pork because of DS's chicken allergy and DD's fish aversion. I haven't tried it with beef, but I think it might also be good.

I usually add more of the veggies, as I like that and tend to eat more of it than the meat. I've also used a bit of raw shredded carrot in it in the past for myself, but the kids didn't care for the carrot addition.

The Points/calories on this are VERY dependent upon what kind of meat you use, how much you eat and how much dressing you use.... but it should be easy to figure out on a case-by-case basis.........................P

Last edited by pjlla; 06-12-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #100
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
curried carrot soup

teaspoon butter/olive oil
400g sliced carrots
200g sliced onions
1 medium potato
1 tablespoon curry powder (less if you prefer)
750ml stock (from cube is fine-I use chicken stock cube)
250ml skim milk
chopped parsley to garnish (optional)

Melt butter and then add carrots, onion, potato and curry powder. Stir to coat and cook on low heat for 5mins. Add stock and bring to boil. Simmer for 25-30 mins. Liquidise until smooth. Add milk and season if needed. Bring back up to eating temperature and serve. Sprinkle with parsley garnish (spoonful of cream is also a nice garnish if not watching calorie count).

This is a really filling soup and quantity made serves 4 approx.
Just gotta say....made this soup again this week and got a triple thumbs up! This from the DS who doesn't like veggies, a DD who doesn't like cooked carrots, and DH who lives for his "meaty"low carb meals!........P

Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #101
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

So glad I found this thread! I'm training for my first full marathon this November (with my fiance who roller blades along beside me as my coach ), but our dinners are disasters. We work so much, get home about 7 p.m. with our commutes. We go run/roller blade and it's 8:30 before we're even thinking about dinner. Thanks everyone for the inspirational recipes! Can't wait to try some of them!

This is one I'm taking to a family reunion cook-out this weekend (you could make it low-carb by omitting the orzo or substituting with something like Dreamfield's pasta, but I'm more of a calorie counter). It's Ina Garten's recipe, but I make it a little different:

Shrimp Orzo Pasta Salad

Ingredients

Kosher salt
Good olive oil
3/4 pound orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
Freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds (16 to 18 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
1 cup chopped fresh dill (I use about half this much)
1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (I use about half this much)
1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and medium-diced
1/2 cup small-diced red onion
3/4 pound good feta cheese, large diced

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Fill a large pot with water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring the water to a boil. Add the orzo and simmer for 9 to 11 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked al dente. Drain and pour into a large bowl. Whisk together the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Pour over the hot pasta and stir well.

Meanwhile, place the shrimp on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine and spread out in a single layer. Roast for 5 to 6 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Don't overcook!

Add the shrimp to the orzo and then add the scallions, dill, parsley, cucumber, onion, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Toss well. Add the feta and stir carefully. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend, or refrigerate overnight. If refrigerated, taste again for seasonings and bring back to room temperature before serving.

I almost always grill the shrimp (I just like the charred bits on the outside) and add roasted/grilled corn on the cob that I take a knife down and take the little kernels off.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #102
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Updated. Though, I had some issues, so all the capitalization is gone. I don't know what was up with that.

Pamela--those lettuce wraps look great!

Hi Kimberly! I am going to run my first full in January. Mike and I run late in the evenings in the summer a lot and dinner is challenging. Sometimes we have what I think of as a "continental" dinner. Hummus, grapes, cheese and or nuts, crackers or pretzels, and whatever other fresh fruit or veggies we have around. Veggie burgers on the George Foreman make a really quick and easy dinner. And we like pizza on thin crust pizza. Last night we had olive oil, beets, goat cheese, red onion and rosemary. I keep the thin crusts frozen. I take one out before we run. And when we get home I throw it together quick and pop it in the oven while we shower.

I have found you can put just about anything on a pizza crust, heat it up and it tastes great. But I always used thin before going g-f. Now I use the udi's thin crust--which are very thin and get nice and crispy!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #103
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

bumpity bump bump
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #104
pjlla
<><

(Duplicates of postings on the BL Fall Challenge.)

Two new crockpot breakfast recipes, just perfect for fall!

Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats in the Crockpot

Serves 6-8

2C steel cut oats
1 15oz can of pumpkin(or about 1 3/4C)
1 400 mL or 14 oz can full fat coconut milk plus enough water to make 7C(about 5 1/4C water)
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp + 1 tsp*pumpkin pie spice
1/2C honey or maple syrup(or leave unsweetened and add after it’s been cooked)
Put all ingredients in your crockpot.* Mix well and set to cook for 5-6 hours on low.* Serve hot with milk or a dollop of greek yogurt, extra honey or maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Okay.... as usual, here is the recipe as I found it. And here are the things I did different.....

First of all.... this is a HUGE batch of oatmeal, so I quartered it for my purposes. Second of all... I don't have coconut milk in the house (plus full fat?? not sure if I want that), so I used half unsweetened vanilla almond milk and half water (1 C of each). Third.... I didn't have legit "pumpkin pie spice" so I used cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and a bit of ginger. And finally, I DID leave it unsweetened.

I put the oatmeal in the crockpot and then blended the pumpkin, milk, water, and spices and dumped them on top and gave it all a stir. Covered, set my timer to cook it for about 6 hours and off to bed I went!

In the morning the pumpkin had risen and settled on the top, so I had to give it a thorough stir before serving. DD had hers with brown sugar and said it was great. I didn't eat my portion until a bit later. There was just a little something about it I would change, but I can't quite figure out what it is. I've made pumpkin oatmeal before by just adding warmed canned pumpkin puree to a hot bowl of steel cut oats and giving it a stir. I think I liked that better. As with the apple pie recipe, it didn't call for salt and I think a bit would definitely improve this. I will add it next time.

Anyhow, if you are a fan of pumpkin and a fan of steel cut oats, I recommend trying this!

Apple Pie Oatmeal

Ingredients:
1 cup of steel cut oats*
3 diced apples (I use Gala)
1 cup apple juice (I use Oasis)
3 cups water
Directions:
For Best Results: Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low until it reaches the consistency that you like. Be sure to stir every hour or so.
* You can also cook longer without stirring as often, but you have to add more water liquid and it does come out a bit mushier. Add an extra cup of liquid for 7-8 hours in the slow cooker.
* It must be steel cut oats, regular oats get very soggy when cooked this way. You can find steel cut oats in your local grocery store (sometimes they are called “irish oats” or “pinhead oats”).
Delicious when topped with a drizzle of organic maple syrup, honey, or a sprinkle of brown sugar.
This recipe makes 6 – 1 cup servings.
Enjoy!
Nutritional Info per serving (1 cup) (before additional toppings):
115 Calories 1 Fat 26 Carbs 2 Fiber

First of all.... I only made a half batch. DD and I are the primary oatmeal eaters here. Second, I was not at all picky about the type of apple I used. In fact, my thought was to use up the slightly older apples sitting in my fruit basket (may have been one Paula Red and one Crisp??).

I wanted my oatmeal ready at about 7am and I did NOT want to get up during the night to turn it on or stir it. So I put my old "one temp" Crockette on a plug-in timer to start at about 2:30 am. I figured that I would cook the oatmeal in about the middle timeframe given in the original recipe (since I don't know if my Crockette temp is considered high or low). I also boosted the water by half a cup (since it was a half batch) to eliminate the need to stir.

I also added a healthy dash of cinnamon and a smaller dash of nutmeg and cloves. After all, isn't that what apple pie is about? I did NOT add salt, as I normally do to my crockpot oatmeal, because the recipe didn't call for it, and it definitely needed it.

Next time I will use even LESS apple juice.... just didn't particularly enjoy the taste of it in the oatmeal. The apples and spices were enough. And of course, I will add about 1/2 tsp. of salt. I also thought it could have used about 30-60 more minutes of cooking, so next time I will cook this same size batch for more like 4.5 to 5 hours. But I will make it again. The apples were a nice touch!

Here is your link!

http://goodrecipesonline.com/apple-p...kfast-healthy/

Old 09-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #105
pjlla
<><

This week's recipe!!

Layered Ratatouille

1 medium summer squash – cubed

1 medium zucchini – cubed

1 ½ tsp. salt – divided

3 large cloves of garlic, mashed or minced – divided

1/3 C olive oil (I use less)

1 medium eggplant- cut into ½ inch cubes

½ tsp. dried oregano

3 medium onions – thinly sliced

2 medium green peppers – thinly sliced

½ tsp. dried marjoram

4 medium ripe tomatoes – peeled and thinly sliced

¼ tsp. dill seeds

Lightly oil 2 ½ qt. casserole and distribute summer squash and zucchini over the bottom. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the salt, garlic, and olive oil.

Make another layer with eggplant and then repeat sprinkling of 1/3 of the salt, garlic, and olive oil, this time adding oregano.

Make a third layer of onion and a fourth layer of green pepper. Sprinkle with remaining salt, garlic, and oil, this time adding marjoram.

Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Add final layer of tomatoes and sprinkle with dill, continue baking uncovered for 10 minutes. Serve hot, cold, or room temperature.

** My changes....

I use Pam spray to grease the bottom of the casserole and then just the tiniest sprinkling or spray of EVOO on each layer. I probably use just a few tablespoons of oil for the entire dish, rather than a 1/3 of a cup. If you aren't concerned about fat or are okay using this healthy fat, then feel free to make as originally stated! I also use just a bit of dill instead of dill seed on the top layer, as I rarely have dill seed in the house and don't want to buy it for just one recipe. Plus I am not overly fond of a strong dill taste. I also do NOT peel my tomatoes.... too much work! But I do lightly peel my eggplant to lose some of the texture and bitterness of the peeling and to remove any wax if the eggplant has been bought at a regular grocery store rather than the farmer's market or homegrown.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: