Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #31
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

OMG those people on your flight next to you sound obnoxious! I can't believe that lady would put up the armrest between you, that's really rude, I think I'd put it back down if some stranger did that to me! I have issues with personal space, that's why when we're on a flight, if someone sits in the row with my DH and I, he has to have the middle seat and I either need the window or the aisle. I can't be smushed next to someone I don't know like that, I'd freak out!

Yay for landing early and getting a great room at Pop! We got the same type of room there, 4th floor, 50's, corner room, and we loved it! It's a great location!

I love your DTD pictures, I never take enough pictures when I'm there! I had no idea they were doing construction on Rainforest Cafe!

Your cupcake with the Mickey ears is so cute!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #32
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

I'm loving your photos! Where was that metallic-looking statue-lady? I hope you ended up getting to do Characters in Flight. I noticed that it does shut down quite a bit.
That cupcake looks AWESOME!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #33
PhoenixStrength
Waiting for my fairytale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
OMG those people on your flight next to you sound obnoxious! I can't believe that lady would put up the armrest between you, that's really rude, I think I'd put it back down if some stranger did that to me! I have issues with personal space, that's why when we're on a flight, if someone sits in the row with my DH and I, he has to have the middle seat and I either need the window or the aisle. I can't be smushed next to someone I don't know like that, I'd freak out!

Yay for landing early and getting a great room at Pop! We got the same type of room there, 4th floor, 50's, corner room, and we loved it! It's a great location!

I love your DTD pictures, I never take enough pictures when I'm there! I had no idea they were doing construction on Rainforest Cafe!

Your cupcake with the Mickey ears is so cute!
I would have put the arm rest back down, if I could! There was too much of her in the way for it to go down.

It was a great location, and probably where I will request again for any future POP stays!

I didn't know they were doing construction there either until I came around the corner and saw the walls up! I have a better picture later I think of what it will look like once the Lava Lounge is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilisis View Post
I'm loving your photos! Where was that metallic-looking statue-lady? I hope you ended up getting to do Characters in Flight. I noticed that it does shut down quite a bit.
That cupcake looks AWESOME!
She was right in front of what used to be the Adventurers Club, by the bridge over to WestSide. She was pretty funny and kept making bunny ears for pictures and such. I was amazed at how many people didn't know she was a real person. There was a different person there later in the trip that I have a picture of too.

They have a sign at Characters in Flight showing what the weather conditions have to be to ground it. Basically over 20 mph winds and it's grounded.

The cupcake was awesome! Super tasty. I wound up getting another one a few days later since it was so good.

Heat, humidity and a great Mother/Daughter trip! A May TR
Alien Encounter gave me PTSD!! A Dec '14 PTR

Old 02-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #34
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Looks like a fun start! I would love to do a solo trip one day. We ate at Pollo Campero/Fresh-A-Peel too (in our case, because Wolfgang Puck Express was closed). I had a wrap from Fresh-A-Peel that was good, and my SO had chicken and rice from Pollo Campero that was actually pretty decent. I'm not sure we'd go back, though.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #35
disneycrazzy
Earning My Ears

Smile Getting Inspired!

Hi,

I'm enjoying following your report. I'm buying an annual pass for the first time this year - so a solo trip is a definite possibility! I'm getting motivated to give it a try!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #36
jenbear123
Disney Fanatic

Have to say that Pollo Campero meal does not look appetizing at all. Too bad it was such a let down. You should've headed next door to babycakes bakery. That place makes killer desserts. Nice pictures of DTD. Looks like you took lots of time there. How could you resist World of Disney?! That takes self control. I agree with the lights being left on. But in a way, I'm glad they do for safety reasons.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #37
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

What a bummer that your meal wasn't good and that the Characters in Flight was down. I've heard some good reviews on Pollo Campero and some bad but it does seem to get more negative reviews.

Very cool pictures of Downtown Disney. It seems like a good it of construction was going on but I guess that's to be expected during non-peak travel times.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 02-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #38
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
Looks like a fun start! I would love to do a solo trip one day. We ate at Pollo Campero/Fresh-A-Peel too (in our case, because Wolfgang Puck Express was closed). I had a wrap from Fresh-A-Peel that was good, and my SO had chicken and rice from Pollo Campero that was actually pretty decent. I'm not sure we'd go back, though.
I may give them another shot on another trip. They were swamped since it was a Saturday night and maybe they just didn't cook the rice long enough, or too long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycrazzy View Post
Hi,

I'm enjoying following your report. I'm buying an annual pass for the first time this year - so a solo trip is a definite possibility! I'm getting motivated to give it a try!
Solo trips are fun, so I hope you get to take one! I enjoy going with friends/family, but it is nice to be able to eat when and where you want, ride what yu want, skip any ride you don't want to do, come and go from the parks as you please, without anyone else there to complain about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbear123 View Post
Have to say that Pollo Campero meal does not look appetizing at all. Too bad it was such a let down. You should've headed next door to babycakes bakery. That place makes killer desserts. Nice pictures of DTD. Looks like you took lots of time there. How could you resist World of Disney?! That takes self control. I agree with the lights being left on. But in a way, I'm glad they do for safety reasons.
I only resisted the first time I was in DTD, the other 2 times I went in!

I'm sure they leave them on for safety and security reasons, but it was a little weird to see them on all night long after the construction crews left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
What a bummer that your meal wasn't good and that the Characters in Flight was down. I've heard some good reviews on Pollo Campero and some bad but it does seem to get more negative reviews.

Very cool pictures of Downtown Disney. It seems like a good it of construction was going on but I guess that's to be expected during non-peak travel times.
Like I said before, the chicken was cooked well, I just think I didn't like the seasoning combo they used. The rice, tortillas and desert were not very good though. It was really the only not-so-great meal I had though, so I wasn't too upset.

I knew that there would be a lot of construction everywhere when I picked February. None of it was really intrusive though, so I didn't care. Especially since I had almost no waits in any of the parks!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #39
PhoenixStrength

Hello all! Sorry I have been MIA lately, I've had a lot going on! I'm hoping to get another update up later tonight or tomorrow at the latest. Some real-life updates though:

1. My friend Cathy is home. She was released yesterday. She is doing well and very excited as they got a contract on their house and are now finding a house in Texas to move to close to the clinic where she will have the cancer trial that will hopefully put her back in remission, permanently this time!

2. Miles was moved to a rehab hospital close to their home in California last night and is doing well. He will probably be there a couple of weeks, but is already making progress.

3. Jynx is doing well. The sore is healing slowly but surely and she definitely feels much better.

4. Some of you may remember a friend I talked about in my PTR that I was hoping to see when I was in FL. He wasn't sure we could get together due to his 2 jobs (full time job plus a company he runs cleaning boats the other 2 days a week) and because his jealous wife hated me. I can spoil my TR that I didn't get to see him, but I heard from him a few days ago and spent most of last night talking to him and trying to help him. His wife decided a few weeks ago that he wasn't making enough to support the lifestyle she wanted and filed for divorce. Then, a week later he lost his full time job, and had a tooth removed that kept him out of the water for his company so he is making zero money until he can do some work again this weekend. And he has to pay her alimony as well as paying all his other bills. He is staying with a friend in FL for now, and is trying to find another job. He is doing alright all things considered. He is not upset about the marriage ending as it has been bad since they got married 12 years ago, but he couldn't be the one to end it (long story). But he is very stressed about the money and lack of a full time job, as well as not really having a place to live. His buddy will let him stay with him for a while, but he needs to get his own place eventually. I'm worried about him and hate that there isn't anything I can do to help, so I'm a little stressed out too. Did I mention that Florida has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and the fewest jobs available for the most out-of-work people?

Didn't mean to vent there, I just care so much about him and hate that I can't do anything more than talk to him and reassure him that things will work out. He said that really helps but I wish I could do more. This is a man who literally saved my life 6 years ago and I wish I could do the same for him now. I know that good things will come out of this, as I believe things happen for a reason. I just hope it is soon so he doesn't have to keep worrying.

Anyway, I hope to be back later with an update. If not, I promise one tomorrow!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #40
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Life seems to get in the way of our Dis time every once in a while. I liked the first three things but hated to hear about your friend in Florida. Unfortunately, I hear those type of stories each and every day (remember I work for a divorce/custody/family law attorney) and it hurts my heart what all the people go through. It sure does make me appreciate the relationship I have with John. All you can do is be there for your friend and listen to him when he needs an ear.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #41
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Life seems to get in the way of our Dis time every once in a while. I liked the first three things but hated to hear about your friend in Florida. Unfortunately, I hear those type of stories each and every day (remember I work for a divorce/custody/family law attorney) and it hurts my heart what all the people go through. It sure does make me appreciate the relationship I have with John. All you can do is be there for your friend and listen to him when he needs an ear.
Thanks Lisa! I'm sure you hear those kind of stories all the time. He is actually happy about the divorce, it just was bad timing for everything to happen at once. Thankfully they don't have kids, which makes things much easier. He did say they are getting along amicably and everything is going smoothly with settling everything they need to for the divorce, which is great. I know being there for him is helping, I just wish I could do more. But that's life!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #42
PhoenixStrength

DAY 2, SUNDAY FEBRUARY 12TH, PART 1
THE MONORAIL AND FERRY AREN'T WORKING?!?

Forgive me because I forgot to bring my notes to work with me, so I'm going off memory only. While I remember it well, I may forget things. If I find something important I forgot tonight when I double-check my notes I will post it later.

So, I woke up around 7am and took a quick shower and got my backpack set with everything I needed. I walked out of my room around 7:45am and headed to Everything POP to fill my mug with some water. I took a picture of my view of AoA on the way out my door.

I went to the Magic Kingdom bus stop and dropped my mug, spilling all my water everywhere and breaking the lid. While I waited for the bus I took some pictures around the bus stop.

I don't understand why they have coverings over the benches behind the bus stops, but not over the lines themselves, but oh well. The weather was not good that morning, it was very windy and pretty cool for Florida. I think is was only in the low 30s then. I had on a long sleeve shirt with a short-sleeve over it, and my Mickey hoodie, and was still chilly.

After only about a 5 minute wait the bus came. For the only morning this trip the bus wasn't full in the morning. In fact, there were still empty seats when we left for MK. I don't have the exact time, but I think it took about 16 minutes total from when we left POP to arrival at the MK bus stop.

I took some pictures as we drove up to the bus stop of the Monorail, Polynesian resort and the Grand Floridian.

My friend Jennifer, who lives in West Orlando, was joining me at MK for the first part of the day. I text her after I made it thru the short bag check and turn stile lines. She said she was parking her car and would meet me by the tree I told her I was waiting by. This was about 8:30am. I took some pictures as I waited for her and the Opening Ceremony.

Just before the Opening Ceremony started Jenn text me saying that the Monorail wasn't working for some reason, so she was waiting on the ferry and would be over soon. I was able to get some pictures of the Opening Ceremony as it happened. It was busier by then, but not super crowded.

The family of the day officially opened the park...

and then everyone started heading in. Well, almost everyone!

Jenn still wasn't there, so I waited around as Mickey gave one last wave to the crowd as it walked in.

UP NEXT: BEING A BAD DIS-ER, AND RIDING LOTS OF RIDES

Last edited by PhoenixStrength; 03-02-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #43
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I am back and FINALLY caught up (sorry about that...too much going on).

First, I am sorry about your friend who is getting the divorce and losing his job. Life is so unfair sometimes. I hope something good comes for him soon.

I would have been saying SOMETHING to that woman on the plane. I hate flying to begin, and then to have some rude person sitting next to me. Oh no....I think not.

Sorry you didn't get a DME bus; I was so happy I did in January for my first DME experience.

Love all your photos around the resort and at DTD. We looked at the place you ate dinner at when we were at DTD and it didn't look too good...I'm glad we bypassed it.

Hooray for going to the MK on your first full day (those temperatures were a might "chilly" first thing in the morning). Great photos of the opening show.

Sorry your friend was stuck meeting up with you. I truly do NOT like the monorail.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #44
PhoenixStrength

DAY 2, SATURDAY FEBRUARY 12TH, PART 2
BEING A BAD DIS-ER, AND RIDIN' LOTS OF RIDES

As the Opening Ceremony was ending Jenn text me saying her ferry had just left the TTC, and she would explain when she got over to me. While waiting for her ferry to arrive I took a few more pics.

The Epcot monorail came, but that was the only monorail I saw all morning.

About 9:15ish I saw the ferry pull in and then Jenn joined me and we walked into MK. She told me that while waiting on the Monorail platform they announced that the Monorail wasn't working and everyone needed to go to the ferry. Problem was, the ferry wasn't running either since it was so cold and windy. So it took a while to get one going and that's why it took her 45 minutes to get from her car to the gates of MK.

And this is where I was a bad Dis-er. Jenn and I were talking so much that I only took 3 pictures until she left, which was mid-afternoon. Of course, one of the ones I DID take was this!

We went over to Tomorrowland and rode Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger spin. I think we waited maybe 5 minutes tops before we were on. In line Jenn told me that she hadn't been to MK since high, over a dozen years before. She hadn't ridden many of the rides that are there, and had forgotten much about the ones she had ridden before. Buzz Lightyear was one of the ones that was new to her. She did well, but I did better.

And the last pic I took for hours, Buzz himself

From there we rode Space Mountain, which was another 5 minute wait. She had ridden that before, and enjoyed it again. Since it was so cold and windy we decided we didn't want to be up in the air spinning, so we skipped Astro Orbiter and headed over to Fantasyland. We rode Winnie the Pooh, her first time and my first since they re-did the line. I liked the new interactive stuff for kids this time, though later in my trip I wouldn't like it so much. (foreshadowing! ). From there we rode Snow White's Scary Adventures and then watched Philharmagic (her first time for that too!). We skipped Peter Pan as the wait was I believe 40 minutes and she wasn't in the mood for waiting. We did ride It's a Small World, since that line was only 5 minutes (notice a trend?).

After a bathroom break we headed over to Liberty Square and rode The Haunted Mansion. I enjoyed seeing the new line going through the cemetary, since that was added right after my last trip. I wish I had gotten pictures, as the rest of the trip I headed through the shorter side to skip the cemetary.

After Haunted Mansion we decided to stop at Pecos Bill's Tall Tale Inn and Cafe for lunch. It was about 11am by that time and we were both getting hungry. We each got the Taco Salad and loved it! I really love their toppings bar and being able to basically create my own meal with lots of what I wanted in it and none of what I didn't! Since I was on the DP I got the chocolate cake for dessert. I only took a bite of it since I'm not a big chocolate person. It was good, but since I'm not crazy about chocolate it wasn't my thing.

After lunch we tried to decided where to head next. Jenn didn't want to ride Splash Mountain, and I couldn't blame her. It was still only about 40 degrees and windy, and who wants to walk around wet it that weather? So, we headed to Pirates of the Caribbean instead. The line was so short that they only had the right side open, so we almost walked right on, maybe a 2-3 minute wait. We both remarked afterward that we remembered it having 2 drops, but it only has one drop now, the one near the beginning. Am I wrong about this?

We looked around the shop after the ride, and then Jenn asked if I wanted to head to Port Orleans resort and get some beinets. Umm, do you really need to ask?!? Problem was, she couldn't remember if it was only one of the resorts that had them, or both. And she couldn't remember which resort she had that at before. After she described what she remembered I figured out it was French Quarter she had gone to, so we headed to the bus stop and got on the bus headed there. We talked about our dogs (she has 5) and jobs on the way (she works in finance). When we got to POFQ she said we were definitely at the right place. We headed to the food court and got a 6 pack of beinets to split. They were divine! We noticed as we ate that a table that had 4 older women near ours kept staring at us while we ate. At first we thought it was because we were making a mess with all of the powdered sugar but they eventually asked us if they were as good as they looked. We convinced them to get some and they loved them too.

After the beinets we hoped on the bus back to MK, which came right away. Jenn needed to head back home to take care of her 5 dogs, so we said bye there and she headed back to the ferry. We didn't know if the Monorail was working again yet, and she didn't want to head all the way there to have to come back. It was about 2:45pm by then I think, and still only maybe in the upper 40s. The wind was finally starting to die down though, so it felt nicer out at least.

NEXT TIME: BEING A GOOD DIS-ER, BUT BREAKING SOME RULES!

Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #45
PhoenixStrength

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I am back and FINALLY caught up (sorry about that...too much going on).

First, I am sorry about your friend who is getting the divorce and losing his job. Life is so unfair sometimes. I hope something good comes for him soon.

I would have been saying SOMETHING to that woman on the plane. I hate flying to begin, and then to have some rude person sitting next to me. Oh no....I think not.

Sorry you didn't get a DME bus; I was so happy I did in January for my first DME experience.

Love all your photos around the resort and at DTD. We looked at the place you ate dinner at when we were at DTD and it didn't look too good...I'm glad we bypassed it.

Hooray for going to the MK on your first full day (those temperatures were a might "chilly" first thing in the morning). Great photos of the opening show.

Sorry your friend was stuck meeting up with you. I truly do NOT like the monorail.
I completely understand life getting in the way!

I wanted to say something to her, but I knew I then had to stay there next to her for 2 hours and she seemed like the type that would just act worse to get back at me.

I wish I had gotten an actual DME bus too, but there's always next time I guess. And Pollo Campero may be a great place, but it wasn't that night for sure.

It was a chilly morning, but still warmer than it was in MD that morning (it was snowing there!) so I didn't mind too much. The weather the rest of the trip was warm so one cool day wasn't bad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: