Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #76
kikids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxYeaux View Post
Hi everyone - the Med cruise will be our third on DCL but this is the first time we are going to do the FE - it's ordered from ebay and should get here soon! So I'm wondering what types of little gifts should I plan to give? Since space/weight is an issue I know they will need to be something lightweight and easy to pack. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I know we have plenty of time but I'm in a "magical" state of mind right now...and counting the days till Barcelona!
I usually make things for the FE exchange and give out candy, but I won't want to haul candy overseas. Depending how many people we have, something like Disney key chains, custom pens, notepads, door magnets, etc wouldn't take up too much room.

But I like the idea of not bringing anything and buying things there like buying postcards for everyone at one of the Italian ports, or some trinket while in port, and then giving it out. I'm sure it would make a street vendor's day if you walked up and asked them for 25 Tower of Pisa snowglobes.

All you have to pack is a box of sandwich size ziploc bags and a sheet of labels that say your name and cabin number so you can stuff and deliver them. I might just do that. But no worries, I'm not really into snowglobes!
Disney Fantasy 2014, Disney Magic 2013 (Mediterranean) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3124303, Disney Magic 2012, Disney Dream 2011, Disney Wonder 2010, POP 2012, CBR 2010, POR 2009, Off property 2002-2008, SeaWorld 2010, 2011.

kikids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #77
sumeto
Mouseketeer

My FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney mam View Post
I plan on trying to bring items that are quite local to me and my heritage.

Happy counting, I am like a child in a candy shop at the moment, just so excited!!!

Also, I am going to try and make my own FE.
This is the FE I made, it was not to bad.
sumeto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #78
Disney mam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerchad View Post
We can't wait to see DLP. DWs mission is to see all the Disneylands. We grew up going to WDW and we only live an hour from DL, so I guess Asia will have to be next!

I can understand the flying thing. We are not looking forward to the flights from California to Europe. But we will probably do the train thing as well once we get there.

Any recommendation on DLP hotels? Newport Bay looks pretty nice.
Everyone who has stayed there likes the Newport Bay and it is close to the Disney Village. It has a nice pool and is right on the lake.

I have only stayed in Santa Fe, Cheyenne and Sequoia Lodge so I am not had personal experience of the NPB hotel. My family just preferred the Santa Fe as it was very vegetarian friendly (which my hubby and boys are). We kept saying we would stay at all the hotels for a different experience, but my kids wanted to go back to the SF because they like the food in offer.
We didn't spend much time in our rooms (only to sleep). So, it made sense and saved money which was put to an extra night.

Very pricey DLP and especially if you have cocktails. It cost us over 40euros for 2 kids drinks, 1 lager and a cocktail when we went to the bar in the Disneyland hotel.

Med 7 night navigators 2013:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki...d%20Navigators
Disney mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #79
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Just two little tidbits! First of all I've been reading Med trip reports like crazy and I'm getting a little nervous about how much pickpocketing I've seen! Is there anything that you do to make sure that you don't get pickpocketed or any precautions you take?

And second, I just bought Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports book and it is fabulous! I'm not extremely far into it yet but he's got some great tips and information. I highly recommend it! He is all for doing ports on your own but he's also realistic and lets you know when you really SHOULD do an excursion or tour. Can't wait to read more!

Thanks!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #80
Disney mam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
Just two little tidbits! First of all I've been reading Med trip reports like crazy and I'm getting a little nervous about how much pickpocketing I've seen! Is there anything that you do to make sure that you don't get pickpocketed or any precautions you take?

And second, I just bought Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports book and it is fabulous! I'm not extremely far into it yet but he's got some great tips and information. I highly recommend it! He is all for doing ports on your own but he's also realistic and lets you know when you really SHOULD do an excursion or tour. Can't wait to read more!

Thanks!
For my camera bag, which is a camera rucksack I have one of the carabiners you would use for absailing. I clasp it through both zips in order to make it a difficult task for anyone wanting a quick steal.
Whenever I go to Disneyland Paris I am very weary due to other people's experiences. I have never had any trouble and this may be down to the extra security or just luck.

You could always carry a rucksack on your front. And I read a trip report where a lady kept her money in her bra.

Not sure if we have Rick Steve's over here, but I will pop to my local library when I get the chance to see if there is anything there of use.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #81
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post

Thanks!
We bought pacsafe http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php? anti-theft bags the last time we went to Barcelona. They have locks and knife proof material. I bought a small purse, I would buy a bigger one next time.

We also wore a money belt and neck wallet, we put $, credit cards and passport copies in them. http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...&parent_id=124
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #82
Disney mam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
We bought pacsafe http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php? anti-theft bags the last time we went to Barcelona. They have locks and knife proof material. I bought a small purse, I would buy a bigger one next time.

We also wore a money belt and neck wallet, we put $, credit cards and passport copies in them. http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...&parent_id=124
The link you posted for the rick steves website is great. I will be reading this from page to page.

Unfortunately I've just looked at the pictures from the disaster of last October, shocking!!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #83
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=valbob89;44093454]We bought pacsafe http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php? anti-theft bags the last time we went to Barcelona. They have locks and knife proof material. I bought a small purse, I would buy a bigger one next time.

We also wore a money belt and neck wallet, we put $, credit cards and passport copies in them. http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...&parent_id=124[/QUOTE

Valbob, thank you so much for the links! I hadn't heard of the Pacsafe items before and I am going to order one of the bags. Rick Steves mentions pickpocketing so much that this will really put my mind at ease. And I hope to make my sister wear the money belt because my midsection doesn't need any more bulk! LOL!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #84
valbob89
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Tracerr00;44108745]
Quote:

We also wore a money belt and neck wallet, we put $, credit cards and passport copies in them. http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...&parent_id=124[/QUOTE

Valbob, thank you so much for the links! I hadn't heard of the Pacsafe items before and I am going to order one of the bags. Rick Steves mentions pickpocketing so much that this will really put my mind at ease. And I hope to make my sister wear the money belt because my midsection doesn't need any more bulk! LOL!
We got ours on-line at http://www.luggagepros.com/mfgr_Pacs...html?showall=1
They are on e-bates and now there is a 5% rebate.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #85
tinkertaylor05
DIS Veteran

Hello another June 1st cruiser on board

It's our first ever cruise, we've been wanting this for such a long time and just had to wait for DCL to return to the med.

It will be myself, my mum and my dd who'll be 8 at time of sailing.

We're on deck 5, stateroom 5142, 2nd dining. Will probably look at doing a cheeky visit to DLP before or after.

Look forward to getting to know you all in the run up, I may not be that active for a while, have a couple of other trips coming up but just wanted to say we're in

DCL Magic Med June 2013, Hotel New York September 2012, Disneyland Hotel December 2011, Hotel New York February 2011, Hotel New York June 2010
tinkertaylor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #86
Disney mam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertaylor05 View Post
Hello another June 1st cruiser on board

It's our first ever cruise, we've been wanting this for such a long time and just had to wait for DCL to return to the med.

It will be myself, my mum and my dd who'll be 8 at time of sailing.

We're on deck 5, stateroom 5142, 2nd dining. Will probably look at doing a cheeky visit to DLP before or after.

Look forward to getting to know you all in the run up, I may not be that active for a while, have a couple of other trips coming up but just wanted to say we're in
Welcome, Nice to have you here.

This will be my first cruise so I will be super excited.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #87
vmedisneymom
Mouseketeer

Hello!

Quote:
I'll start a roll call if you want to give me your info:

Disboard name
Number of DCL cruises

We can add other info later
We will book on our upcoming Western, but will still be joining y'all for sure - knock on wood!

I am vmedisneymom aka Michelle - My hubby Stephen, son Hayden (9) tomorrow and 10 at cruise time. We are from Oklahoma City and this cruise will be our 4th. As of today we have done 2, 3rd one coming up in early November for my bday! Looking forward to visiting with all of you!

vmedisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #88
rustysgirl
Earning My Ears

We will be there (assuming we can afford the airfare).
Me (43)
DH (47)
DD(age 11 at time of sailing)
rustysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #89
vmedisneymom
Mouseketeer

I hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysgirl View Post
We will be there (assuming we can afford the airfare).
Me (43)
DH (47)
DD(age 11 at time of sailing)
Our budget for the three of us is hi gher than the cruise fare

vmedisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #90
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmedisneymom View Post
Our budget for the three of us is hi gher than the cruise fare

Oh yes, same here! I think our airfare will be quite a bit more than the cruise fare as well! Thank goodness I've got a while to save up for it!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: