Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #31
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
Sorry to hear it was such an inconvenience. I agree that informing you ahead of time isn't their obligation, but I also understand how disruptive this all must have been.

For anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation (or just needing to have an issue addressed in general), I would recommend asking to speak to the RESORT manager. Maybe that's what you meant in your description, OP, but the front desk manager is not the same thing.
You know, I was reading a thread on another Dis Board earlier today about how the resorts send out letters to scheduled guests a few weeks before their arrival to notify them if the pools are undergoing refurbishments and telling them what other pool they may use. The example was if the Poly pool is closed, the guests may use the pools at the GF. This case at CS seems as if it could use that kind of treatment although the resort might have to provide transportation to the alternate resort if guests had no vehicles. I think this situation is unacceptable. They have taken away resort amenities for which guests have paid and were expecting. Not OK!
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (3); 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; UPCOMING TRIPS:- 2014: GFV & OKW - Sept; OKW - December
SusieBea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #32
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBea View Post
You know, I was reading a thread on another Dis Board earlier today about how the resorts send out letters to scheduled guests a few weeks before their arrival to notify them if the pools are undergoing refurbishments and telling them what other pool they may use. The example was if the Poly pool is closed, the guests may use the pools at the GF. This case at CS seems as if it could use that kind of treatment although the resort might have to provide transportation to the alternate resort if guests had no vehicles. I think this situation is unacceptable. They have taken away resort amenities for which guests have paid and were expecting. Not OK!
Ironically, we received a letter about the pool at POP being closed for refurbishment, so we booked CSR for our first 3 days. Those were relax at the pool days before our package at the Poly began. So it was even more disappointing to spend more to still have no pool access.

Disney could let people know about this, they choose not too. It's not a privacy issue to say somewhere "At this time there will be a major convention taking over many areas of the resort". They choose not to, IMO, because they would lose the extra vacationer bookings. Not cool.
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #33
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw View Post
Tara - we called the front desk and asked for the resort manager or general manager and this lady (front desk manager) was who we were connected to. after we went no where with her my husband went to the front desk and asked to speak to the highest manager on duty (much later in the day) and guess who we found ourselves speaking to again...the same lady. she said she was the only manager on duty (hard to believe) but my husband thinks that they just sent her out because she was a petite, younger lady...and who's gonna yell/get mad at a lady...and he couldn't!
You are VERY lucky that you actually got someone on the phone who was at the resort. When you call the "front desk" at a resort, you're sent to a call center. You always want to go to the front desk in person, when you have a problem.

No need to get mad, though; you can get help and compensation-of-a-sort without every getting *mad*. Just let them tell you what they think they should give you; takes a bit of time to get them to do it, but it works well for DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsw View Post
The front desk manager .... did say we could move resorts, but by then it would have just been more of a pain with 3 small children so we stayed where we were and just dealt with it for the rest of our stay.
Well, that's NOT the decision I would have made! When someone is offering what is truly the ONLY thing that could have helped you, take it! Pack stuff up (doesn't have to be neat and tidy), have the Bell Services people take it to the new resort, go about whatever your business is that day, and meet up with your luggage after official checkin time! Apart from the packing up when not expected, and either tipping the Bell people b/c it's not *their* fault, or stiffing them because it's not *your* fault either, once you're at the new resort and can use the pool and have peace, I bet it would have been worth it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #34
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

If the pool will be closed, you should be notified, IMO. Last year, I changed resorts when I found out that the hot tubs at WL were closed (and I found that out on here after seeing a picture someone posted ). I would be very upset if our kids were excited about a pool day only to have the pool be closed. I don't know about other people, but we book our resort based a lot on the pool area - and we pay more money for it too.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #35
Kazzy1548
Listenning to my music, Dreaming about Disney

We will be there this friday until the 8 th. We are crossing our fingers hoping the other conventions will be low key....
DD 13 DD 18
Kazzy1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #36
klm7926
Mouseketeer

Oh heck! We're checking in on the 3rd. I'm glad everyone will be gone and hopefully all pools will be open. But it still stinks to have to see all the tear down. I'm sorry for your yucky experience OP! I would've been very upset too!
april 2013: all star sports
klm7926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #37
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

We have stayed at CSR three times. All three times had very quiet convention activities and personnel. I guess we were lucky!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #38
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

We are checking in on the 7th. I'm really hoping most of the tents and things will be gone, as my sister will not be happy. She is already a bit stressed that I didn't book preferred rooms for us, I don't need something else to upset her. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #39
MindyDean
Mouseketeer

That's awful. We went last July and hit one convention at the end of it and the beginnings of another. Just some business type people at lunch one day at Pepper Market and many at the outside bar at night. If I went and was told to move my car or be towed, I would be furious. Do you think they would really tow a guests' car? Bad publicity. Why in the world would they close the pool. That's ridiculous. All that being said, I'm going with hubby in May to a conference at CSR. I don't imagine they will have tents ect. set up. What is Grainger by the way????
96-Wilderness Lodge 2002-Ft. Wilderness 2004-Ft. Wilderness 2005- Pop Century 2006-Offsite 2007-Ft. Wilderness 2008-Allstar Music 2010-Wilderness Lodge 2011-Coronado Springs-Anniversary Trip 2012- Wilderness Lodge -2014 POFQ
MindyDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #40
dsw
Earning My Ears

Check in area

One of the many parking lots covered in heavy-duty tents, complete with generators and air conditioning...these had to take some major time to put up and I would assume some major time to take back down.

Anyone up for a game of parking lot basketball??

Closing down roads where ever they see fit

Forklifts whizzing through the parking lot where guests/kids walk from their room to their car

View from our room

AKL (personal fave...so far!) - 02/11
Contemporary - 9/11, 2/13
CSR - 2/12
FW
DH- multiple times a year from '84 - '10.
As a family - 9/09, 12/09, 9/10, 12/10, 4/11, 12/11, 4/12, 8/12, 12/12, 6/13 upcoming - 12/13
Port Orleans - '91
Shades of Green - '96, '06
WL - 5/11
Offsite stays/day trips - 100+
dsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #41
dsw
Earning My Ears

We never went back out to see what this looked like after "Grainger Land" and Baggo and Cornhole toss and the DJ, etc. were all set up...I would guess it was a cluster *!

The random electrical cords and cable that lined the entire lake...and they blended in so you couldn't see them, but they were not tied down so they were a tripping hazard.

The speakers loaded on floating platforms waiting to be placed around the lake (we saw them all around the lake later, but didn't take pics)....they also had 2 extra barge things with a man setting up fireworks, which I would assume were going to be floated into the middle of the lake.

I have a few more pics, but you all get the idea!

AKL (personal fave...so far!) - 02/11
Contemporary - 9/11, 2/13
CSR - 2/12
FW
DH- multiple times a year from '84 - '10.
As a family - 9/09, 12/09, 9/10, 12/10, 4/11, 12/11, 4/12, 8/12, 12/12, 6/13 upcoming - 12/13
Port Orleans - '91
Shades of Green - '96, '06
WL - 5/11
Offsite stays/day trips - 100+
dsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #42
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

WOW, that's terrible! I would have definitely wanted permission to use another resort's pool! Oh my goodness!

I stayed at CSR once and there was a zookeeper's convention going on. They were all so quiet and friendly and were in seminars most of the day so the grounds were pretty empty!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #43
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Yep, that's what it looked like for us too. Just add in all the food service trucks and tents in the parking lots, and at least 500 tables set for a dinner on every available inch of lawn space around the lake.
I opened my door to a lawn full of conventioneers eating their dinner, a loudspeaker blaring across the water and (I kid you not) 2 giant stilt walkers, a mime and jugglers.
Not the privacy and relaxing I was looking forward too.
It's so ridiculous it almost makes me laugh.

I have to reiterate for anyone reading, this was not "A few conventioneers at the bar or in the pepper market". This was an entire resort and all public spaces completely taken over by a convention. There is zero reason to not warn people coming for vacation.
I know we all love Disney and saying something bad around here can be met with extreme defensiveness, but it was a big deal.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #44
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Omg, those pictures speak a thousand words! I am a big CSR lover and have said many times on "worred about conventions" on CSR threads not to worry! I mean most conventions are not a big deal. But this thing is crazy. If I checked into that resort to that, I would be down at the front desk asking to be moved to another resort. What a mess.

We were there during a large convention and other than seeing a lot of people wearing name tags, we didn't notice a thing.

What a shame for other guests.

Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #45
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".

I'm a very patient and tolerant person, but I would have asked to be moved to another resort before I even unpacked. No way I would have wanted to deal with all that.

Tags
convention, coronado springs, csr

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: