Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #796
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Possibility of temporary monorail restrictions to come into effect during Grand Flori

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Transportati...ction-work.htm

There is increasing speculation that the Walt Disney World monorail system will be operating on a reduced operating schedule in the near future due to the construction of the new Grand Floridian Resort DVC wing. The close proximity of the monorail beam to the construction site is assumed to be the primary factor in the need to halt monorail operations during certain times of the day. No details are yet available on when this will take place, or for how long. Alternative transportation would include additional watercraft and bus service. Should this come into effect, it will be the second major change to monorail operating hours in the last 12 months, following the suspension of monorail service during Extra Magic Hours since July 2011.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #797
padawans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post

There is increasing speculation that the Walt Disney World monorail system will be operating on a reduced operating schedule in the near future due to the construction of the new Grand Floridian Resort DVC wing. The close proximity of the monorail beam to the construction site is assumed to be the primary factor in the need to halt monorail operations during certain times of the day. No details are yet available on when this will take place, or for how long. Alternative transportation would include additional watercraft and bus service. Should this come into effect, it will be the second major change to monorail operating hours in the last 12 months, following the suspension of monorail service during Extra Magic Hours since July 2011.
Thanks for posting this. I am glad I am doing a split stay this time. The boats will be fine for us. I just added a few days at BW so I don't think the monorail is going to affect our vacation at all.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #798
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Thanks CR Resort Fan 4 Life for the heads up. We will be doing a split stay between the Poly and BLT, of course both of which are on the monorail line .

Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #799
MSLRAC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post

UGH! Wonder when more info on this will come out? We just booked Poly with a PIN because of the monorail.
DCL Fantasy ~ Oct 2013 Oct 2014
Poly ~ Oct 2015
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #800
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

What are all of the places you can go via boat??? I saw that the expected times of monorail closure during the day would be 11-7:30 pm...so, is there a boat to GF (as our ressies there are for 5), when we would apparently not be able to get there via monorail...does the boat go to CR? and I'm assuming that this would only affect the MK monorail right? The Epcot one doesn't go through the resort area...

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #801
padawans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
What are all of the places you can go via boat??? I saw that the expected times of monorail closure during the day would be 11-7:30 pm...so, is there a boat to GF (as our ressies there are for 5), when we would apparently not be able to get there via monorail...does the boat go to CR? and I'm assuming that this would only affect the MK monorail right? The Epcot one doesn't go through the resort area...
We always walk to the GF it's about a 10 minute walk.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #802
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by padawans View Post
We always walk to the GF it's about a 10 minute walk.
I know walking is possible, but does the boat go there too?

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #803
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know walking is possible, but does the boat go there too?
The boats go from the Polynesian to the Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian and then repeat the route. The walk is a short pleasant one from the Polynesian to the GF, and the advantage of the Polynesian is you can walk to the TTC. Again, it takes about 10 minutes but it is an option.

I don't think that Disney is going to "strand" guests on the monorail line. Those hotels are by in large the most expensive on property and I can't believe they are going to leave the guests staying there in a transportation bind. There are also a lot of expensive restaurants at those hotels people need to get to, they don't want those restaurants to sit empty because people can't get there.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #804
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post
The boats go from the Polynesian to the Magic Kingdom to the Grand Floridian and then repeat the route. The walk is a short pleasant one from the Polynesian to the GF, and the advantage of the Polynesian is you can walk to the TTC. Again, it takes about 10 minutes but it is an option.

I don't think that Disney is going to "strand" guests on the monorail line. Those hotels are by in large the most expensive on property and I can't believe they are going to leave the guests staying there in a transportation bind. There are also a lot of expensive restaurants at those hotels people need to get to, they don't want those restaurants to sit empty because people can't get there.
Well, it's good the boat is a possibility...I don't mind walking, it's Disney after all, but it's July and I don't want to be a hot sweaty mess before dinner if we have to walk over...

PAST TRIPS:
Old 02-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #805
MSLRAC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post

I hope you are right but at the same time, I am a bit worried now. We are driving down so we can drive to the resorts/parks if need be, but at the same time, we booked Poly planning to park our van on Saturday evening and not move it again until the next Sunday. I guess all we can do now is wait for an official announcement and then firsthand reports about how bad it really is.
DCL Fantasy ~ Oct 2013 Oct 2014
Poly ~ Oct 2015
Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #806
rao363
Mouseketeer

Why We LOVE The Polynesian!

Hey Poly Fans! So as I sit here and day dream of my return to the Polynesian the end of this year, it got me thinking....what is it about this resort that has me absolutely obsessed and wishing the year 2012 away just to return..? I can think of several, such as:

1.) The obvious... Monorail transportation
2.) Location
3.) The Pool
4.) The View From The Beach
5.) The Tambu Lounge
6.) 2 words---Lapu Lapu!!
7.) The Amazing Sushi
8.) The "Paradise" Feel
9.) The Cast Members (in my opinion, by far the nicest!)

I am sure if I pondered even the slightest bit longer I could come up with a thousand more, but I am curious as to your opinions.... What makes you LOVE the Polynesian!?!?!?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #807
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao363 View Post
Hey Poly Fans! So as I sit here and day dream of my return to the Polynesian the end of this year, it got me thinking....what is it about this resort that has me absolutely obsessed and wishing the year 2012 away just to return..? I can think of several, such as:

2.) Location
3.) The Pool
5.) The Tambu Lounge
7.) The Amazing Sushi
8.) The "Paradise" Feel

I am sure if I pondered even the slightest bit longer I could come up with a thousand more, but I am curious as to your opinions.... What makes you LOVE the Polynesian!?!?!?
I don't know yet, as I have not stayed there!!! Our first stay will be in July!! But, keep talking, I love hearing all of the wonderful things about the Poly!

PAST TRIPS:
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #808
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't know yet, as I have not stayed there!!! Our first stay will be in July!! But, keep talking, I love hearing all of the wonderful things about the Poly!
You will absolutely love it

And rao363, I would add if anyone is a coffee drinker/lover they have great coffee (and pastries) in the mornings at the Sushi Bar (don't remember it's name) outside the entrance to the monorail. The coffee at WDW is notoriously bad, but the Poly is a coffee lovers dream with this option.

And the views, like you said are wonderful. Here's a picture I took in December from a hammock at the Polynesian. If you walk up to the top of the hill the view of the lagoon and the castle is amazing!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #809
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

2.) Location
3.) The Pool
5.) The Tambu Lounge
7.) The Amazing Sushi
8.) The "Paradise" Feel

Relaxing in a hammock on the beach listening to the boat whistles as the boats go back and forth to MK .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 02-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #810
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

2.) Location
3.) The Pool
5.) The Tambu Lounge
7.) The Amazing Sushi
8.) The "Paradise" Feel

For me it is the fact that I haven't stayed there since I was a kid of the 80's (yes I just dated myself ). We always visit the resort but I have been dreaming about going back and staying there. This will be the first stay for my DH and both of my DDs and they can't be anymore excited. We have a MK view and I have already requested Tihiti so we can be close to the TTC and the views from that location with the beach are awesome.

Another reason why I obsess over the Poly is because I love the feel and the atmosphere there, it feels very remote and the grounds are gorgeous.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: