Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
CMM MOM
Earning My Ears

DCL Wine Package

First time on Disney Cruise and I have some questions regarding the pre-paid wine packages that DCL offers.

Do you really save money buying ahead of time?

Does the cruise have different wines available to buy that are not listed in the package?

DH and I can drink a bottle over dinner...as well as our friends. We were both thinking of getting the wine package but leaning towards the premium wines...which we really don't consider to be premium. I would hate to buy the package and find out there were other wines available on the ship.

I am assuming that Palo and Remy have different wine lists. I am looking towards the wine package for the regular nightly dinners.

Thanks for your help.
CMM MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Evasmommy
Mouseketeer

I was wondering about this myself. I have heard about the wine packages but haven't seen any info on them on the DCL site. How much is a bottle of wine typically at dinner?
Evasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evasmommy View Post
I was wondering about this myself. I have heard about the wine packages but haven't seen any info on them on the DCL site. How much is a bottle of wine typically at dinner?
They're in an odd place on the site, IMO! Go here: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/pl...and-amenities/ choose your departing port, and then scroll down to Spa, Photo, and Beverage Pre-purchase Options to see the wine packages.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
FJS961
DIS Veteran

We have done the premium wine package in the MDR and usually wind up sticking to the Santa Margherita pino grigio and the King Estate pinor noir.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
MakesCakes
Earning My Ears

Thank you for pointing this out. We can drink a bottle during dinner and this looks like a good way to purchase wine for our meal. If we wanted to have some wine in our room, do we order that through room service?

ME, DH and DS (4)
MakesCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
ItAllStrtdWAMouse
Fan for Life

Do you have to order the wine package that matches your cruise length? i.e. on a 4 night cruise can you order a 3 night package? Interested in going to Remy and having the wine paring. Will not need a 4th evening of wine. from a package.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
usplus3
Earning My Ears

Also wondering

DH and I have also been considering the wine packages and did a little research. First off, you have to remember that you are paying restaurant prices not what you would pay at your local wine shop. That considered, the margin that Disney marks up the wine doesn't seem to be out of the norm. For instance, take the Premium Package (Port Canaveral) for 5 nights at $219. That's $43.80 per bottle. I can find the King Estate Pinot Noir (one of our favs, too) for about $28 in a store and have seen it on a wine list for $40-45. Some of the wines retail closer to $20, but with the wine package you're not paying a corkage fee or having to carry bottles on board. We agree with the poster who said that they are not really premium wines, but I don't know that I would want to pay what it would cost for them to stock what one might actually consider to be premium.

My advice would be to consider the level of wine you are comfortable with at a restaurant and see how the math works out.
usplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Evasmommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shburks View Post
They're in an odd place on the site, IMO! Go here: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/pl...and-amenities/ choose your departing port, and then scroll down to Spa, Photo, and Beverage Pre-purchase Options to see the wine packages.
Thank you so much!
Evasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #9
gichicdoc
inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItAllStrtdWAMouse View Post
Do you have to order the wine package that matches your cruise length? i.e. on a 4 night cruise can you order a 3 night package? Interested in going to Remy and having the wine paring. Will not need a 4th evening of wine. from a package.
We considered this as well but I was told when I called that you must purchase the package specific to your cruise length - i.e. a 4 bottle package for a 4 night cruise. They do not offer a 3 bottle package on a 4 nt cruise.

Consider this...Even if you do the wine pairing at Remy's, you can get the 4th bottle delivered to your room and enjoy a glass each evening on your verandah or while strolling the ship. I know ours wouldn't go to waste
Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #10
Annal606
Mouseketeer

Oh, thank God I can grow a beard and am uninterested in picking up other men on message forums!

Annal606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
CMM MOM
Earning My Ears

Interesting, because I was told you could pick a package that is less nights than your actual cruise. Of course, I agree with you about having the extra bottle for the stateroom, but I wonder what you really can do---

I guess that is part of the reason I started this thread. I want to hear from other people. Thanks so much!

CMM MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
sshaw10060
DIS Veteran

There is a second wine list you have the request which has a number of wines not on the usual wine list. Most of these from anywhere from $50 to several hundred dollars.

It has a very nice selection of wines. Some of which are hard to find.

sshaw10060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicdoc View Post
We considered this as well but I was told when I called that you must purchase the package specific to your cruise length - i.e. a 4 bottle package for a 4 night cruise. They do not offer a 3 bottle package on a 4 nt cruise.

Consider this...Even if you do the wine pairing at Remy's, you can get the 4th bottle delivered to your room and enjoy a glass each evening on your verandah or while strolling the ship. I know ours wouldn't go to waste
you can have a bottle off the list served to you in Palo (assume Remy too) ... we ordered a bottle in Palo once and were given "credit" for that nights wine allocation of the package
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
PredzMan
Mouseketeer

Wine on DCL notes

Some observations from past wine experiences on DCL.

First, they don't tell you the vintages of the wines on the website. For some people this can make a difference, for us, not a real big deal. The good part is that most of the wines are of vintages that you can't get in your local wine shop. A couple examples are the Kim Crawford (white) and the Greg Norman (red) wines offered on the premium package. Both of them I can't get locally, but only online.

Now for the math, on our 7 night cruise, it came down to about $41 a bottle. Price out what you can get locally and match it up to the selections you think you'd want. In our case both the Crawford and Norman wines run under $20 each, so we 'lost' money on them.

Now for those of you who don't know, there is a special wine on the premium package that is only made for Disney and only served on the cruise ships. We've heard rumors of it being served at the Grand Floridian for weddings, but never seen that in person. It's the Iron Horse Fairy Tale Celebration Cuvée. The Iron Horse website does have it for sale direct, but only 1000 cases are released for this offer. It goes for $50 retail. If you have not had this sparkling wine it's spectacular. Almost worth getting the wine package alone just to save the money on getting this one and having it more than once during the cruise.

For wines during dinner and later, it's pretty easy. Have your beverage server bring the wine for dinner and if you don't use it, they'll store it for you at the next restaurant's location in your rotation. Or you can have them move it to a club, or your room later in the night.
Say you use one bottle over 2 nights are are "ahead" one bottle. Just tell your server during dinner where you want a new bottle delivered and it'll be there. This works great for the dessert buffet night. We had a bottle of the Iron Horse waiting for us when we arrived.

If you do the math and figure out it's cheaper for you to bring bottles onto the ship, go for it. DCL does state it's $20 corking fee per bottle, but honestly, I've very rarely seen this enforced. If you have a good relationship with your head server (had ours on multiple cruises) they have the ability to spread some pixie dust and make the corking fee disappear.

Hope this helps, and I didn't ramble too much!

Jerry
All Star Movies - 12/2008
All Star Sports - 10/2007
All Star Sports - 9/2006
Port Orleans Riverside - Honeymoon - 8/2005
Port Orleans Riverside - 9/2004
WDW and Epcot Opening - 10/1984
PredzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
goofymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMM MOM View Post

Do you really save money buying ahead of time?

Thanks for your help.
the answer to this part of your question is yes. You do get a discount thru the package vs buying a bottle from Disney each night.

I'd love to learn the answer to your question about if you can buy a smaller bottle package on a 7 night cruise. We only have 2 adults and I don't think well drink a whole bottle each night ... Well we could but I'm sure we'd like to drink something other than wine too.

DL: 1965 WDW offsite:1975,1979,1981,1995 WDW Poly: May 2003 WDW POFQ: April 2005 WDW Dolphin: Oct 2007
Magic (W): May 2004 Magic (W): Jan 2006 RCCL (E): June 2009 Fantasy (W): May 2012

goofymama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: