Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

Adventure Guide podcast segment

After listening to the podcast, my desire to do another ABD is now an obsession. I don't even care where I go. After listening to Courtney talk, I am ready to sign up for Quest for the West and Ireland and neither of these are places I planned to visit. I'd better start saving for 2013!

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13, DIS Exclusive Viva Italia ABD 9/14
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

I am in the same boat, Laurie.
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
MinnieGarden
Sweetie, let's focus on vacation..... step away from the techie stuff
Life would never been the same after the Podcast Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
Really?????

MinnieGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGarden View Post
Really?????
ABD Austin or ABD Orlando.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I haven't listened to that segment yet. I didn't realize that's what it was. I guess I'll bump it up on the iPod queue!

Quest for the West has always been in the back of my head as one I'd like to do, but I keep getting drawn to the exotic foreign ones. Seeing how much I loved Southwest Splendors, maybe I should rethink that!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Mike,

Would that be the boat you're going on in June 2013, because I'd like to be on that boat!!

Tobi,

I've always wanted to Southwest Splendors. For one thing, we'd like to take the kids, and airfare to Phoenix for 5 is probably alot better than airfare for 5 to Europe!

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13, DIS Exclusive Viva Italia ABD 9/14
Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabi's Cubs View Post
Tobi,

I've always wanted to Southwest Splendors. For one thing, we'd like to take the kids, and airfare to Phoenix for 5 is probably alot better than airfare for 5 to Europe!

Laurie
Laurie, Southwest Splendors was my first ABD, and I still think it's one of ABD's best itineraries. A great mix of activities, things to see & things to do. I *HIGHLY* recommend it! I think your kids would love it. And yes, WAY cheaper than Europe!

Everyone should see the Grand Canyon! And you get to river raft on the Colorado River and hike to Delicate Arch. Good times!

Sayhello
Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
tracyz
Mouseketeer

Just hanging out in our kitchen we listened to the podcast, and every time they started talking about how great the whole thing is, DH was nodding his head but then he noticed I was tearing up...he had to roll his eyes at me and leave the room.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyz View Post
Just hanging out in our kitchen we listened to the podcast, and every time they started talking about how great the whole thing is, DH was nodding his head but then he noticed I was tearing up...he had to roll his eyes at me and leave the room.
I think that means it's time for him to take you on another ABD!

Sayhello
Old 02-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

Hmmm... bear with me here ....

Just listened to the podcast...and I have to admit, I'm now more worried than I ever was.... because it's always nice to have low expectations and be surprised when everything is above your expectations. However, listening to the podcasts and this particular podcast (and I'll be honest, the way everybody talks about ABD is what convinced us or rather me to go with them), makes me wonder if my expectations are now higher than they ought to be. I appreciate the fact that when people write their reviews and blogs they don't tell everything and surprises are still kept as surprises.... but now, I wonder ... should I be expecting surprises and will I be upset if there aren't any?

It's like when you read about people who get that amazing server at Prime Time 50's Diner who gives that extra bit of pixie dust in the park and then people (not me) get upset when they don't get the same bit of pixie dust.

If I'm expecting a lot, will I still be pleasantly surprised by the ABD treatment?

I know ... I'm probably worrying over nothing. Just sometimes don't you think, that's gotta to be too good to be true...it'll never happen to me.
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGarden View Post
Really?????
How big is that boat Mike?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #12
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Val & I listened to this segment while we were out yesterday (on our way to a local DIS meet, but that's a separate story) and really enjoyed it. Especially as our first ABD trip will be this summer. to some of the other posters on this thread who will also be with us.

We loved the part where Courtney mentioned they compared notes about the guests (kind of like what is going on in this board where guests compare notes about guides). She mentioned one guest that wanted a glass of milk in their room every night. It got Val & I to wondering if we should mention having a glass of wine in our room every night.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
Hmmm... bear with me here ....

Just listened to the podcast...and I have to admit, I'm now more worried than I ever was.... because it's always nice to have low expectations and be surprised when everything is above your expectations. However, listening to the podcasts and this particular podcast (and I'll be honest, the way everybody talks about ABD is what convinced us or rather me to go with them), makes me wonder if my expectations are now higher than they ought to be. I appreciate the fact that when people write their reviews and blogs they don't tell everything and surprises are still kept as surprises.... but now, I wonder ... should I be expecting surprises and will I be upset if there aren't any?

It's like when you read about people who get that amazing server at Prime Time 50's Diner who gives that extra bit of pixie dust in the park and then people (not me) get upset when they don't get the same bit of pixie dust.

If I'm expecting a lot, will I still be pleasantly surprised by the ABD treatment?

I know ... I'm probably worrying over nothing. Just sometimes don't you think, that's gotta to be too good to be true...it'll never happen to me.

I admit I am a bit of a control freak and the idea of surprises makes me anxious rather than excited, so I just go into it anticipating the trip itself (and really with those itineraries, how could you not be?) and if surprises happen, well, that's icing on the cake. After all, there are surprises in every vacation - a place you eat that knocks your socks off or something the kids get into that you never thought they would (8hours in the National Gallery with 3 young kids when it was pouring in DC so we couldn't visit the monuments comes to mind). I wouldn't worry about it.

Laurie

Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

Thanks so much for bringing this podcast to my attention. I'm ashamed to say I have never listened to one!

I loved the part about the "power of the paddle." When my parents and kids were in Galapagos, they said how great it was that ABD got on the islands first every morning. They also loved their guides - Laura and Eduardo.

Getting excited for Quest to the West!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by K and K's Mommy View Post
Thanks so much for bringing this podcast to my attention. I'm ashamed to say I have never listened to one!

I loved the part about the "power of the paddle." When my parents and kids were in Galapagos, they said how great it was that ABD got on the islands first every morning. They also loved their guides - Laura and Eduardo.

Getting excited for Quest to the West!
I loved the "power of the paddle" comment, too. I love that paddle. Gets us a lot of longing looks! I have to admit, as others have said, people keep talking about dressing so that you won't look like a tourist in Europe. Someone mentioned that it's pretty useless on an ABD, because you're walking behind this Guide, with a paddle saying "Adventures by Disney". Pretty much kills any chance of not looking like a tourist!

There's a lot to be said about being first off the ship, or not standing in line. When we went to the Eiffel Tower on our Knights & Lights trip, the line to get in circled 2/3 of the base of the tower. It went on forever. But we just walked up to the short line to get up to the restaurant, and were inside in minutes. Same thing when we went to see the David in Florence. Or the Vatican in Rome. The power of the Paddle is HUGE!

Sayhello

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: