Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #181
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Ahh so smart to buy at SSR for the 11 month advantage for a THV.
They aren't for everyone, but they are VERY "us". However I'm not so sure about them in the heat of the summer given their "remoteness". Still, I wanted that advantage.

Quote:
Since SSR is sold out, does that mean they're going to start selling Grand Floridian points soon?
I don't think so. I'm hoping they are by our cruise but have a feeling it may not be until next Dec or Jan. Sounds like the focus for now is AKV, BLT and Aulani. Since they just dedicated more at AKV and Aulani is still in phases they don't need to rush to sell GF any earlier since it would just cost them developer points to market it. Guessing anyway. It is likely to be very cost prohibitive to be sure but a small add on there would be awfully nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I got the seaplane right... but that was it I think!

Yay for treehouses!! I didn't even think of that.
We will sleep in one, one of these days!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #182
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

And the winners are....

Manntra
Mndisneygirl
that's nice
Poolrat

BeachClubDee

Chilly

DisMomAmy

Glennbo

Moira222

Magicfor2

Scrappie

NativeNYer

MEK

However, Mary Ellen (MEK) had too much insider knowledge so has to forfeit her credits which means a 3 way tie between Julie, Tammie and Jennifer (NY)!

A few of you got partial credit for playing but didn't get any right, so no points for the moment but all answers are considered playing! The PTR is still young...
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #183
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Very interesting results!

Now I just read 2 PTRs with pie charts... IN A ROW! Maybe you guys are starting a trend....

And I am a winner cuz my name is in your last post!!!
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #184
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

While the treehouse was a thought I thought the room for 5 would win out. The THV is also why a SSR add on happened.

Glad to see I am on the board.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #185
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
However, Mary Ellen (MEK) had too much insider knowledge so has to forfeit her credits which means a 3 way tie between Julie, Tammie and Jennifer (NY)!

What? You coaxed me into playing and now I have to forfeit all my slushie credits. WAAAAAAAAAAAH! I knew about the SSR purchase but I think I had legit guesses on my other answers. I'm not even sure what the third question was I got right. Boy - I am getting old!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #186
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Very interesting results!

Now I just read 2 PTRs with pie charts... IN A ROW! Maybe you guys are starting a trend....
Oh man, I hope not, we'll both lose readers fast I think if that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
And I am a winner cuz my name is in your last post!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
While the treehouse was a thought I thought the room for 5 would win out. The THV is also why a SSR add on happened.
The room for 5 will likely be the deciding factor for the next contract so it was very good logic! I figured for what I needed this summer, the 11 month advantage was irrelevant and so SSR/THV for direct made more sense $$ wise versus buying AKV. OKW is actually up there for a direct purchase for me, for the 5 person option, major point value and the extended contract (extended contract next to impossible to find via resale, I've been looking for a long time) but AKV has some killer perks/options at the 11 month mark between value and club level so I get rather paralyzed between those trying to decide. Add in Aulani as a place we might like an advantage at and then the future GFV and it became rather difficult to decide so we went with what we knew we wanted as a baseline with a minimum of points. Now I have a bit of time to figure out the rest of our portfolio.

Much as I adore BCV and BWV (though the pink wall concerns me as a home resort trip with the family lol) the fact that they don't sleep 5 and are shorter contracts are for me, kind of deal killers at the moment even via resale. VWL is kind of in the same boat, though I like it quite a bit as well. I don't want to be in a perma 2 bedroom situation at 11 months because my home resort doesn't sleep 5 in a one bedroom. Ultimately, that will cost me more. For that reason, honestly, I will be very interested in GF as I'm fairly sure they will sleep 5 and am hopeful the studios are a reasonable size (which is what kills BLT for me).

Quote:
Glad to see I am on the board.
You are! You got a point for having the "why" on the use year correct. You had the wrong month but you had it based on banking date, not use date, so got a point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
What? You coaxed me into playing and now I have to forfeit all my slushie credits. WAAAAAAAAAAAH! I knew about the SSR purchase but I think I had legit guesses on my other answers. I'm not even sure what the third question was I got right. Boy - I am getting old!

I think you got use year right...which was insider info

You are still on the board silly, just preempting complaints of unfair advantage. Although I think you already got (or will in the next bit or so) a rather large slushie credit! Maybe when it comes, Denny will remember my name!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #187
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
The room for 5 will likely be the deciding factor for the next contract so it was very good logic! I figured for what I needed this summer, the 11 month advantage was irrelevant and so SSR/THV for direct made more sense $$ wise versus buying AKV. OKW is actually up there for a direct purchase for me, for the 5 person option, major point value and the extended contract (extended contract next to impossible to find via resale, I've been looking for a long time) but AKV has some killer perks/options at the 11 month mark between value and club level so I get rather paralyzed between those trying to decide. Add in Aulani as a place we might like an advantage at and then the future GFV and it became rather difficult to decide so we went with what we knew we wanted as a baseline with a minimum of points. Now I have a bit of time to figure out the rest of our portfolio.
I get it!!! I can follow your logic - hear that MEK? Congrats on the purchase. I thought AKV with club and value would win this time. Even thought I thought about treehouse I wasn't sure SSR points were still available direct.

Quote:
Much as I adore BCV and BWV (though the pink wall concerns me as a home resort trip with the family lol) the fact that they don't sleep 5 and are shorter contracts are for me, kind of deal killers at the moment even via resale. VWL is kind of in the same boat, though I like it quite a bit as well. I don't want to be in a perma 2 bedroom situation at 11 months because my home resort doesn't sleep 5 in a one bedroom. Ultimately, that will cost me more. For that reason, honestly, I will be very interested in GF as I'm fairly sure they will sleep 5 and am hopeful the studios are a reasonable size (which is what kills BLT for me).
For me, BCV was all about F & W.

Quote:
You are! You got a point for having the "why" on the use year correct. You had the wrong month but you had it based on banking date, not use date, so got a point!
After I submitted I thought about Dec. since you do all your planning in Jan.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #188
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I'm biased but love AKV...I normally just stay in studios but last October I stayed in a 2 bedroom at Kidani. The 3 bathrooms (2 in a 1 bedroom) was fantastic with various family members. I love OKW too...the rooms are bigger and love having parking right in front of the villas.

Jill in CO
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #189
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I get it!!! I can follow your logic - hear that MEK? Congrats on the purchase. I thought AKV with club and value would win this time. Even thought I thought about treehouse I wasn't sure SSR points were still available direct.
Well they aren't available now apparently! So I guess it was good I did it, not to mention the price did increase. If price had been equal, AKV might have won but SSR was less $$. AKV is the most probable next contract if I do resale, good inventory at my use year.

Quote:
For me, BCV was all about F & W.
Unfortunately I don't think that's a priority for the kids as much as it is for me I love both of them and can see the merit of owning at either, but given that I've seen in most cases, the ability to stay there at the 7 month mark, I figured it was worth the risk. We will see how well that theory works out for Mary Ellen and I in less than a month!

Quote:
After I submitted I thought about Dec. since you do all your planning in Jan.
Yep, combo of planning in Jan and banking in July made it a clear top choice. It's funny though, before I looked at it from the banking aspect I really couldn't decide what was best as a lot of them had merits. Once I looked at banking dates it made it super easy. Eventually it won't matter as the kids get older but it will for at least the next 8 years so, very possibly longer. It could bite me at some point for F&W, Halloween or Thanksgiving but everything else is pretty well protected. I think no matter when you pick there is some risk of some theoretical date...at some point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I'm biased but love AKV...I normally just stay in studios but last October I stayed in a 2 bedroom at Kidani. The 3 bathrooms (2 in a 1 bedroom) was fantastic with various family members.
I am super excited to stay there one of these days! The bathroom layout at Kidani makes it a pretty clear winner over Jambo to me. Unless of course I was at Club Level!

Quote:
I love OKW too...the rooms are bigger and love having parking right in front of the villas.

Jill in CO
For the longest time I was very focused on OKW. The amount of points and use year I wanted never came up direct, though I was waitlisted (supposedly) at one point and I could never seem to find an extended contract via resale. It is still an option as another contract though as those grand villas are a steal!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #190
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:

I am super excited to stay there one of these days! The bathroom layout at Kidani makes it a pretty clear winner over Jambo to me. Unless of course I was at Club Level!

You have to call right at 11 months to score a Club level and no Savanna guarentee. I'm waitlisted for the night after my cruise...I just want to go on the special Safari!

Jill in CO
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #191
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think you got use year right...which was insider info
Can I just say that I totally guessed on that. Did you tell me what it was, because if you did I completely forgot. Are you sure you want me as a roommate since I clearly have early Alzheimer's?

Quote:
You are still on the board silly, just preempting complaints of unfair advantage. Although I think you already got (or will in the next bit or so) a rather large slushie credit! Maybe when it comes, Denny will remember my name!

I think maybe I need to give him a test question like, "Who's my roommate for October?" I'll tell you how he does!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #192
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
You have to call right at 11 months to score a Club level and no Savanna guarentee. I'm waitlisted for the night after my cruise...I just want to go on the special Safari!

Jill in CO
I totally want to go on the special safari! I am not crazy about the fact that club doesn't necessarily equal savanna. I'd be bummed to have spent the points and not have a savanna view.

Quote:
Can I just say that I totally guessed on that. Did you tell me what it was, because if you did I completely forgot. Are you sure you want me as a roommate since I clearly have early Alzheimer's?
Nah, just brain overload. I figure it's a colander and things just slip though when it's too full. At least that's MY excuse.

Yeah, we had a use year conversation, I can't recall why. You have Feb I believe

Good guess then! Ok, you can have all your points restored.

Quote:
I think maybe I need to give him a test question like, "Who's my roommate for October?" I'll tell you how he does!
It is equally possible that Jeff would flunk that test too!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #193
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

I love your slushie credit icons. Very cute!
And I am also hoping points go on sale this summer. But I suspect DVC will have to get model rooms, etc. together first.

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #194
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:

I love your slushie credit icons. Very cute!
And I am also hoping points go on sale this summer. But I suspect DVC will have to get model rooms, etc. together first.
I had fun making the slushie icons

Definitely on the model rooms I'd think. Is there a SSR or THV one that would be converted I wonder? I've actually never toured a model room so have no idea what they have to work with already. That said, model rooms wouldn't take all that long to make, like a month tops. Knowing Disney, it's already planned. If memory serves, sales on Aulani started well before there were model rooms at WDW. I know I looked hard at buying it last Jan.

My completely unscientific prediction is that sales will start in Dec so DVC can show a very strong year end, model rooms available to see next spring/summer at the latest and then opening by Christmas 2013.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #195
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had fun making the slushie icons

Definitely on the model rooms I'd think. Is there a SSR or THV one that would be converted I wonder? I've actually never toured a model room so have no idea what they have to work with already. That said, model rooms wouldn't take all that long to make, like a month tops. Knowing Disney, it's already planned. If memory serves, sales on Aulani started well before there were model rooms at WDW. I know I looked hard at buying it last Jan.

My completely unscientific prediction is that sales will start in Dec so DVC can show a very strong year end, model rooms available to see next spring/summer at the latest and then opening by Christmas 2013.
When I bought points at AKV last summer, I toured the models at SSR. There were only models of AKV and Aulani. They took out the BLT models. They only have BLT model rooms at the Doorway to Dreams store on Long Island. My guess is they'll take out AKV models and put in GFV models when they're ready.

I wonder how much longer until AKV sells out. I think DVC may offer some decent incentives to push AKV sales before Grand Floridian points are sold. But, with Disney, you never know.

Native NYer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: