Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #16
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

3.8.11: From home to home from home...

We eventually left the VRoom and headed to flight VS015 which we boarded quickly and got ourselves settled. Lovehearts were handed round...presumably because they were to aid in anti-earpopping during take off - not just because the cabin crew were feeling amorous... Well, they just about lasted long enough - I think DD was on her last one by the time the plane actually took off!

DD settled down happily to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse - we soon realised she had no concept of the etiquette associated with wearing headphones as she yelled 'Oh Toodles!' at the top of her voice. I think DH and I simultaneously clapped our hands over her mouth much to her surprise

I tried to watch Lincoln Lawyer but couldn't hear it so gave up relatively quickly. Drinks came round at which point DD had apple juice and water, DH had Pepsi and I had a G&T (yum - I love these on a plane...well I love them anywhere strictly speaking, but on a plane they are particularly pokey!!) - we also had some sour cream and chive pretzels. So, what with DD watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and DH watching a combination of Top Gear and football goals (woo!) I was at a loose end so I decided to put some work in learning a script (I'm a bit of an am dram fiend and was beginning rehearsals for a play as soon as we got back from hols.)

Eventually dinner came round for DD:
Pasta and cheese with bolognese; mini loaf of bread; orange juice; apple slices and grapes; Peter Rabbit organics peach and apricot puree and a bag of Haribo sweets...not bad!!!

Then DH and I were given 3 options for our meal: sausage and mash; fish pie or mac and cheese. DH had the fish pie and I had mac and cheese (my last decent mac and cheese for three weeks - I really can't abide the mac and cheese in WDW - it's all wrong - gloopy incandescent stuff that looks like it should be served in a cafeteria in Sellafield - bleargh!) Anyway, the mains were served with a Greek salad; mini loaf with butter; Uglies chocolate mousse; cup of water, coffee, Pepsi (DH) and a white wine (me.)

Now, I know that aeroplane food is not of the highest standard: it hasn't exactly been prepared with heart and soul. However, there is something I just kind of like about it - it has the symbolism of a fantastic time about to start. It marks the start of a holiday when you don't have to cook or clean and can just relax and have a whale of a time - now that's going to make anything taste good!!! My only gripe about the dinner on the way out was that the guy in front of me had his chair reclined all the way through the flight. This gave the impression of a) my food being on my lap and b) the bloke being on top of my food on my lap - NOT GOOD!

DD had hilarious hair during the flight - shame I didn't get a photo - she was severely affected by the static electricity. She's always had this problem - when she was a baby I'd take her in a trolley through Marks and Spencers (a veritable palace of static) and her hair would literally stand on end - literally. So much so people would stop in their tracks just to laugh...maybe I should have charged some sort of ticket price...hmmm...a missed opportunity....

The flight was generally fine (other than leany back man...grrrr) - DD slept for a short while, did a million stickers and then watched 'Tangled' (possibly my favourite Disney film) on our portable DVD player (an amazing purchase - worth every single penny.) Drinks were served sporadically and there was a random ice cream bar moment which DD missed as she was sleeping - ah well, you know what they say...you snooze, you lose...!
Afternoon tea was delightful..well it was ok...I feel that afternoon tea ought to be 'delightful': DD had cream cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches (one of each...not both flavours in each sandwich - tasty!!!), a bag of mini Cheddars and a box of raisins.
DH and I had: tuna mayo & egg and cress sarnies and a cookie. I hd water and DH had coffee.

Once we had exited the plane we shot through customs - so much better organised than in the UK (despite the family in front of us trying their utmost to take as long as they could.) Bag collection was ok but we nearly forgot the buggy - in the UK we don't use one but knew we'd need one with all the walking during a 3 week trip. We then encountered the totally mad situation of having to transfer the bags across to the main terminal - weird - collect bags from luggage carousel, carry 10 metres, give to another person, collect from a different carousel...odd. While our bags were on their new adventure we caught the shuttle across to the main terminal. Once there, 2 of our bags appeared really quickly but then we had to wait an absolute age for the third...typical!

While we were waiting we had our first reminder of why service in the USA surpasses the vast majority of service in the UK. A porter appeared and helped us move all our luggage; he pushed the bag trolley over to the car rental garage (while we were all experiencing the wall of heat that you encounter once you leave the deceptive air conditioned airport!); he picked up a child's car seat (while DH went over to the car desk); he scouted out the cars to find the one with the lowest mileage; he helped us get all our bags into the car (the ULTIMATE game of Tetris ); he then gave us a map and spent a few minutes recommending particular tourist spots. FAB! I know we tipped him, but when you've been travelling for way too long and you're tired, a cheerful, helpful face who goes over and above their duty can be just perfect!

Then we made the drive from the airport to Wilderness Lodge following a very weavy car (tourists methinks!) - just so exciting, especially when you start seeing signs and the arch!

We finally parked before hoiking our luggage up to the main entrance. And there it was...home away from home!!

photo WildernessLodge.jpg

Offsite [1995] Offsite [1998] Wilderness Lodge, WDW [August 2009] Sequoia Lodge, DLRP [April 2010] Wilderness Lodge, WDW [August 2011] Newport Bay, DLRP [June 2012]

Last edited by Scoobymoons; 02-14-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Scoobymoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
stephensmum
DIS Veteran

Wilderness Lodge looks beautiful. Can't wait to read all about it.

International Drive Aug 1991
Kissimee Sept 1996
All Star Movies Aug 2005
POFQ May 2007
CBR Aug 2008
SSR Aug 2009
SSR Aug 2010
SSR Aug 2012
stephensmum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

Joining in!

It's been a good read so far, you and your family are so cute

Wilderness Lodge looks fab!

x
Old 02-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #19
strawberry blonde
DIS Veteran

More please Can't wait for the next part
strawberry blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #20
Tinkerbell1989
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to reading more
xx

2013's Big Celebration Christmas Trip 'Finally got my own way!'...October 2012 TR Playing 'I Spy' in Disney... December 2010 TR Our Youtube Channel

DLRP August 2004 DLRP June 2008

WDW October 2000 WDW April 2003 WDW December 2006 WDW December 2010 WDW CSR October 2012 WDW December 2013
Tinkerbell1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Ooh I can tell this is going to a great TR
I am totally with you about the build up to a trip being soooo exciting
Sitting in the V Room knowing you have your whole trip ahead of you is a wonderful feeling
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #22
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensmum View Post
Wilderness Lodge looks beautiful. Can't wait to read all about it.
It is soooo beautiful - we love it! Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_ariel_85 View Post
Joining in!

It's been a good read so far, you and your family are so cute

Wilderness Lodge looks fab!

x
Glad you're enjoying it. I wholeheartedly agree about my DD being cute...not so sure about me and DH though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry blonde View Post
More please Can't wait for the next part
Thankyou Hoping to write more tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1989 View Post
Looking forward to reading more
xx
Looking forward to writing more! I'd thought originally that I'd be able to write it a day at a time....this is not happening - clearly I waffle way too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Ooh I can tell this is going to a great TR
I am totally with you about the build up to a trip being soooo exciting
Sitting in the V Room knowing you have your whole trip ahead of you is a wonderful feeling
Agreed! I'm sitting here typing getting excited about even the idea of that feeling - how sad is that?!!

Thanks for reading everyone - more later hopefully.

Offsite [1995] Offsite [1998] Wilderness Lodge, WDW [August 2009] Sequoia Lodge, DLRP [April 2010] Wilderness Lodge, WDW [August 2011] Newport Bay, DLRP [June 2012]

Old 02-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #23
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

'Welcome Home!'

'Welcome Home!'
We were hot, we were tired, we were ready to relax and that greeting was just the perfect thing to hear. It was so exciting to be back at Wilderness Lodge...sooo exciting....did I mention it was exciting....??? That first moment as you walk through the front doors and into the immense lobby is just awe inspiring.

photo WLLobby.jpg

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to realise that this isn't a photo from that particular moment (it was taken in 2009 after having the opportunity to be Flag family - you go very very high up in the lobby - I did much clinging on to the bannister) but I couldn't find a decent one from this trip...what's that about?!!
We went to check in which all happened very quickly and smoothly. Much to our delight our room was upgraded from car park view (or whatever it's called) to courtyard - really pleased We went straight up to our room:

3.8.11 photo DSCF0554.jpg

3.8.11 photo DSCF0561.jpg

I just think towel animals are fabulous!

DD was absolutely shattered (it was about midnight UK time) so we got her ready for bed - she then proceeded to take yonks to get to sleep - can't think why... Eventually, however, knackerdness overtook excitement and she zonked.

3.8.11 photo DSCF0560.jpg

DH and I unpacked - we were determined not to live out of suitcases for 3 weeks - and then refamiliarised ourselves with WL. I went for a wander and headed down to Roaring Forks to buy refillable mugs and top them up with coke - ironically the server was from Glasgow and it felt very odd to have travelled for hours and hours just to hear a non-American accent...she was very lovely though. I then returned to our room and DH and I sat out on the balcony listening to the hubbub (how on earth do you spell that???) from the pool - gorgeous.

Sitting on the balcony is one of my favourite evening pasttimes (oh God, double consonant issues...hubbub, pasttimes....aaargh!!) Sorry, back to the plot...I just love being able to sit out in the warmth (even if it's raining) relaxing with a cocktail (more often than not ) and discussing the day (or writing trip notes as it happened this time!)

3.8.11 photo DSCF0555.jpg

When DH and I were having the pretty much pointless, token conversation about where we were going to stay for this trip one of the biggest considerations and reasons for going back to WL was for the balcony - sounds ridiculous but when you've got a 4 year old who needs to go to bed relatively early, you need somewhere to go rather than sitting silently waiting for her to go to sleep. It took us a long time to decide to return to WL...at least 5 minutes....

So, once we'd finished our cokes on the balcony I decided to go for another wander - DH had been for a wander as well previously - I popped into the Mercantile first and perused everything. I was looking at the ladies clothes when I suddenly heard this voice say:
"I'd like the red and white shirt if it didn't have Mickey Mouse on it."
I beg your pardon? "...if it didn't have Mickey..." WHAT??? Has this person made a terrible error? Do they actually know where they are? I think perhaps next year they ought to go for a hiking holiday in the Cotswolds rather than come to the home of MICKEY MOUSE..... I consider this sort of comment in the same sort of league as people who go to WDW and complain that there are a lot of children.....doh
Anyway, moving on...I didn't buy anything on that visit - plenty of time yet ! - and instead popped back to Roaring Forks where I refilled a cup with lemonade (USA lemonade, not UK lemonade) and got some chips (UK chips, not USA chips) and a Coors light and took all these back to the room.
It's probably worth mentioning now that we had got the free Dining with our trip so we had made oodles of ADRs and had loads of snack credits to use...shame!!!!

We sat out for a little while before heading to bed.

Last edited by Scoobymoons; 02-14-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
mickeyforpresident
DIS Veteran

I'm just loving this trip report; thank you so much! Your writing style is very refreshing! It's Miranda-ish (that's a compliment BTW!)

Looking forward to more; forget the marking, write for us!!

August 2012 - Back to the Contemporary - love that monorail !!!
August 2010 - 2 weeks at the Grand Floridian
August 2008 - 3 weeks at the Grand Floridian
August 2006 - Disneyland Hotel DLRP
August 2004 - 2 weeks at the Contemporary
August 2002 - Disneyland Hotel DLR Paris
August 1999 - Millenium Celebration - offsite
mickeyforpresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyforpresident View Post
I'm just loving this trip report; thank you so much! Your writing style is very refreshing! It's Miranda-ish (that's a compliment BTW!)

Looking forward to more; forget the marking, write for us!!
Thank you for your very kind comments! So glad you're enjoying it.
Marking officially forgotten

More very soon

Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #26
Scoobymoons
Mouseketeer

Day 3, Part 1: Thank goodness for Blue-footed Boooby birds....

SPELLING DISCLAIMER
I'm sorry for starting like this but I've had to make a deliberate spelling error. When typing the title of the Little Einsteins programme 'The Blue-footed Boooby birds', I was clearly being terribly terribly naughty and the computer corrected it to 'The Blue-footed ****y birds' ...oh dear...the spelling is deliberate...thank you

Anyway, back to the real world....

DH, DD and I woke every hour during that first night....grrrr.... We eventually let a very excited little girl into our bed at...5.50!

I said in a previous post that DD would not be watching TV while we were away... I lied! Thank God for Disney Junior. At 5.50 in the morning we love Little Einsteins. DD spent a happy 20 minutes dancing away to the Ballet of the Blue-footed Boooby birds - brilliant!!!!!

4.8.11 photo DSCF0567.jpg

The view was rather nice, if a little bit 'early' - in all honesty we didn't care two hoots what time it was - we were here! It was the first day of three weeks! Three heavenly weeks!!! Whilst the Blue-footed Boooby birds worked their magic, DH and I had coffee. Eventually we trekked down to Roaring Forks when we thought it was a more civilised hour... Roaring Forks gets quite a lot of bad press however we really like it - the food is good and we have never had problems getting seated - you do get queues of course but they really aren't that bad. So we got breakfast: DH and I got Bounty Platters and DD got Rice Krispies and a croissant.

4.8.11 photo DSCF0571.jpg

Just checking....I did warn everyone that there would be vast numbers of food photos....didn't I...?? Don't drool too much though - it's not good for computers...
Anyway...
...once we had partaken of Roaring Forks' breakfast fare we had a bit of wander to remind ourselves of how blooming marvellous WL is.

The lobby (from a slightly lower, less frightening vantage point)

4.8.11 photo DSCF0569.jpg

The geyser

4.8.11 photo DSCF0573.jpg

The back of the hotel (you can just see the bear face - I love it!)

Our balcony....did I mention that I love the bal....ok I'll shut up...

Once we'd reacquainted ourselves with our home (happy sigh) we got our bags ready for a trip over to Magic Kingdom.

I love getting the boat over to the MK - it's so exciting but peaceful.

Again, I've seen it getting bad press but we have had no issues with the boat as transport...DD loves it too.
We arrived early and headed straight to Exposition Hall to the Mickey meet and greet. We thought the pictures in the queuing area were fab - really ingenious. And then we met THE MOUSE:

Only just noticed what DH is wearing...a Thundercats TShirt...hmmm....not certain how appropriate that is. That's the second TShirt faux pas we've made in WDW. The first was in 2009 when it was commented on by a Cast Member that DD was wearing a traitorous Dangermouse TShirt....ooops! (Notice 3 'o's ...just incase...!) It was all done in good humour though.
Ok, back to the plot.
Once we'd had our initial Mickey fix, we headed onto Mainstreet where we noticed that Pinocchio had appeared and had no queue and as DD was on a mission for autographs and pictures, we took the chance while we could.

Photobucket

Once we had visited Pinnochio, we headed onto Main Street proper when the trolley dancers just happened to start their show. We've never seen this before so we stopped to watch.

Photobucket

I loved this routine - we watched it many times during our trip - the blonde haired dancer always waved at DD - very cute. At the end of our stay we bought a Disney CD of music from the parks and the songs from this were on it....love it. Have to admit though, when we were watching it on this first occasion I was singing along 'Clang, clang, clang went the trolley....' when I suddenly found myself mute...DD had clapped her hand over my mouth...charming!!
Ok...so I'll stop singing...point taken!!!

Last edited by Scoobymoons; 02-14-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:24 AM   #27
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Just loving the photos of WL, they bring back very happy memories, it's such a wonderful resort
Taking the boat over to MK is so cool, especially first thing in the morning
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #28
cherjp
I am a disney nutter! Every time I reply I kill the thread..... stone dead!!

love your writing style, thanks for sharing your trippie, its very funny and good. looking forward to more.

thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #29
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

Really enjoying your report and have to agree you have a lovely, witty writing style which makes it very enjoyable.

Looking forward to reading more.

Lovely picture of your little girl asleep in WL.

Tmamy
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #30
catherinen
Earning My Ears

I'm loving your gorgeous photos and engaging style! I love your attention to detail! It's our first trip to WDW in August and I'm so excited already. Reading your report is one of the highlights of my day! Catherine xx
catherinen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: