Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #691
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA53 View Post
Hello Poly experts,

I am thinking of changing my POR Royal Room to the Poly for our July trip. Both of my parents, in their 80s, are coming with us and I am thinking having a monorail resort will help if they need a break from the parks. My question is, my mom has some mobility issues, not major, but she will probably have a walker. How far is the walk between the lobby and the longhouses, longhouses to beach? I have looked at a map but am having a hard time guessing the distances. The reason I am thinking of changing out of POR is the length of the walking to the rooms so if it is just as far at the Poly that would be crazy for me to change. I am also thinking maybe I should go to WL where the walk will be inside and ac-ed but the Poly is my dream resort.

It is my parents first and most likely last trip to WDW so I want it to be perfect!!!

TIA,

K in SA
Tha Poly isn't really that spread out. It is virtually steps from the GCH to the longhouses that you see on the map around it (Nuie, Samoa, Figi ...) Nuie doesn't have an elevator though. I would recommend Samoa. It is very centrally located to the GCH, pools & beach. It also has some lovely views if you request the volcano pool side. Maybe you could have noted on your reservation that you have a member of your party who has mobility issues so they make an effort to locate you as close as possible to the GCH?

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #692
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
So nice of those who include the grandparents. I agree wholeheartedly about treasuring every moment. We had planned on bringing my mother with us on our first trip to Disney with the kids, we always told her this ("When we go to Disney, you're coming too!") Unfortunately my mother passed away before our adoption of our youngest daughter was completed and she was never able to make that trip. Our first Disney vacation was bitter-sweet without Mom. Unfortunately my in-laws don't seem that interested in going to Disney. I feel kind of bad for our kids (and my in-laws!). I look forward to sharing Disney with future grandchildren.

So jealous! I wish my DH would let us get annual passes! Unfortunately we're in Canada and live over two hours from the nearest airport, three from the most-resonably priced flights which for us are in Detroit (airfare here is ridiculous!) Kind of makes makes spontaneous trips a little less appealing.
I'm so sorry that you didn't get to a do a trip with your mom. I KNOW she is there in spirit cheering you on and enjoying the magic with you It is just so hard to lose a parent. I lost my dad last summer and my mom right after we got back in September and it still hurts every single day

About the AP's, don't be too jealous. 12 months of magic may mean no Disney at all in 2013 for us . Having AP's and living a 1000 miles away is a dangerous thing! My original plan was just a smart way to save money over two annual trips. Trust me when I say that while there was more magic, there will be no money saved.
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #693
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTeacher View Post
Disney know what they're doing for sure! We upgraded our tickets to APs back in May 2010, because we were planning to return that December for my DD's 16th birthday. Then we managed to find a way to sneak two more trips in before they expired in May!
Yep, those AP's are a real money saver, huh!

The mouse also got me with an comp upgrade from GV to LV in Hawaii in January. It will be TPV in Hawaii for us now. I tell myself the AP discount makes it worth it, but....

Oh, well. You only live once!
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #694
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello Poly experts,

I am thinking of changing my POR Royal Room to the Poly for our July trip. Both of my parents, in their 80s, are coming with us and I am thinking having a monorail resort will help if they need a break from the parks. My question is, my mom has some mobility issues, not major, but she will probably have a walker. How far is the walk between the lobby and the longhouses, longhouses to beach? I have looked at a map but am having a hard time guessing the distances. The reason I am thinking of changing out of POR is the length of the walking to the rooms so if it is just as far at the Poly that would be crazy for me to change. I am also thinking maybe I should go to WL where the walk will be inside and ac-ed but the Poly is my dream resort.

It is my parents first and most likely last trip to WDW so I want it to be perfect!!!

TIA,

K in SA
I can honestly say without a doubt you will be better off at the poly rather than POR or the WL.
My oldest son stayed in the POR" it was perfect for him but he is physically fit. It is a huge resort with lots of walking. Wilderness lodge is gorgeous, my wife and I stayed there for our first ever trip to Disney. But you must take a bus or boat ANYWHERE on Disney property. Not good for the ones with a walker.

My wife has knee and ankle problems almost every trip we have taken she has been in a brace or in a scooter. The poly, contemporary or GF would be a better fit for you and yours.
Be sure no matter where you go you request a "handicap accessible" room they will love you for it and you most definately qualify!
Might I suggest calling apple scooter in Orlando. They are reasonably priced. The scooter would be at any resort you decide when you arrive. And they come and get it when you are done. It also will be accommodated on any Disney transportation. Has made trips to Disney (when needed by my wife) so much more enjoyable and she doesn't feel like she is holding our group back.

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #695
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

So everyday I go to the Disney Memories/one more day website to enter to win. And everyday, Kelly Ripa says if she has one more day, she would go to the luau at the Polynesian Village Do you think she knows the name changed or she's just old school? Either way, EVERY day, I hear her talk about the Polynesian - makes me wistful!

Quote:
Hello Poly experts,

TIA,

K in SA
If it will be their only trip, I would absolutely book the Poly. Obviously you are on a Poly thread where we all the resort. But many of us go to other resorts as well. Here is why I say choose the Poly (and I've been to both WL and POR):

- Ambience and view - even just sitting at the pool, you will see Cindy's castle. You just can't beat that.

- Distance to the parks. You can take the monorail to MK as well as the Grand Floridian and Contemporary - both fun resorts to visit. I suspect you might want to arrange some time to see the old time band that plays in the evenings outside Mizner's Lounge at the GF. I bet your folks would LOVE it! Also, you can take a monorail to Epcot. You will need to walk a bit to get to the TTC to get the monorail though but it is a pleasant, nice walk and there is no hurry to get to the TTC. For my family, it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to get to the TTC. Now if you stay at POR, you will walk more than that to get to many places and then take a bus (or a boat to DTD). And if you stay at WL, your internal walk MIGHT be shorter if you take a bus but it will still be a little bit of a walk to the boat. And while the boat is nice, you can always take a boat from the Poly to the MK too.

There are so many other reasons I would choose to stay at the Poly over the other two resorts (dining options are better, shopping is better, theming is so relaxing and beautiful, the pools are better, and of course the location). If you do want to be near the Great Ceremonial House and main pool, all the buildings located next to it are very close (Niue and Rarotonga are just steps away). If you really want to make it special, stay CL in Hawaii so your folks always have a close lounge to relax in and get some snacks and drinks without the chaos of Captain Cooks during the busy hours.

Oh, long post! Good luck deciding!

-

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 02-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #696
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_the_mouse View Post
I'm so sorry that you didn't get to a do a trip with your mom. I KNOW she is there in spirit cheering you on and enjoying the magic with you It is just so hard to lose a parent. I lost my dad last summer and my mom right after we got back in September and it still hurts every single day

About the AP's, don't be too jealous. 12 months of magic may mean no Disney at all in 2013 for us . Having AP's and living a 1000 miles away is a dangerous thing! My original plan was just a smart way to save money over two annual trips. Trust me when I say that while there was more magic, there will be no money saved.
I'm sorry that you have also lost both of your parents. My father has also passed away now too, so I know what a hole having neither of your parents there leaves.

Thanks for helping me deal with my AP envy! I think I would rather know we can go every year rather than a couple of times close together and then have to suffer through a long dry spell!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #697
dairyqueenmom
If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse.

Checking in on Thursday!!! We were upgraded from POFQ due to the Royal Suites not being readay. I have always wanted to stay here - very excited to get a chance. I am also running the Princess 1/2 Marathon while we are there, so glad I will be able to get good coffee while on property!
1995 Disneymoon Dixie Landings, 1998 Off Site, 2000 Off Site, 2001 Disney Magic, 2004 CB, 2005 Disney Magic, 2006 ASMOV, 2007 ASMU, May 2008 AKV Our 1st trip Home, Sept. 2008 BWV Mommy and Daddy Get Away, Jan. 2009 AKV 40th Birthday Trip, Aug. 2009 Vero/AKV, Oct. 2009 Mom & Dad Annual Get Away BWV, August 2010 Summer Family Vacation AKV, August 2011 BCV/AKV Summer Family Vacation, December 2011 Solo Trip MVMCP, February 2012 Princess 1/2 Marathon Poly w/sister, July 2012 Summer Family Vacation Marriot Royal Palms & AKV, Feb. 2013 Princess 1/2 Marathon POR w/sister, July 2013 Summer Vacation AKV & Ft. Pierce Beach
DH Me DD16 DD14 DS10 DS10: Oberon
Old 02-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #698
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyqueenmom View Post
Checking in on Thursday!!! We were upgraded from POFQ due to the Royal Suites not being readay. I have always wanted to stay here - very excited to get a chance. I am also running the Princess 1/2 Marathon while we are there, so glad I will be able to get good coffee while on property!
Checking in on Friday after you lol. So maybe see ya around. Look for lime green DIS mickey tags.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #699
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyqueenmom View Post
Same situation for me, been here this weekend. Methinks you're gonna love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Checking in on Friday after you lol. So maybe see ya around. Look for lime green DIS mickey tags.
Do you still need pics of Tuvalu TPV from the outside? I took some this morning for you, but won't be able to get them on the web until sometime Tuesday. Those rooms look fantastic in terms of view to me.

Signed,
A fellow POR RGR transplant

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #700
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Same situation for me, been here this weekend. Methinks you're gonna love it!

Do you still need pics of Tuvalu TPV from the outside? I took some this morning for you, but won't be able to get them on the web until sometime Tuesday. Those rooms look fantastic in terms of view to me.

Signed,
A fellow POR RGR transplant
Hey yes of course Ill pm you my email address for the pics.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #701
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Just checking in and all of the stories of parents/grandparents are making me teary-eyed. This is Grandma and Grandpa's surprise trip that was revealed at Christmas so I am looking forward to this special memory. Still worried about my Dad in the June heat, but he is recovering nicely per his cardiologist. When I run into the cardiologist at the hospital I always ask if he (my Dad) is ready for Space Mountain. My only trip as a child - we stayed at the Poly and I was the only child brave enough for SM with my Dad. I would love to do it one more time....

Anyway, rough week with a regualtory agency at the hospital but my segments passed with flying colors!!!! So....now what am I going to do??? I'm going to Disney World!!!! (Sorry...had too....)
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

Old 02-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #702
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Trip paid for early!!!!!
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #703
padawans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971DBday View Post
Trip paid for early!!!!!
Congrats. It always a great feeling to pay it off. Its also only way I can stop stressing about the cost. I usually pay off my trips way before the due date. Have a great time with your parents.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #704
cmp1203
Earning My Ears

I just booked our first stay at the Poly today! I am SUPER excited. Last year was our first ever visit! We took our two boys (ages 3 and 5 now). It was a last minute thing - really we decided the week before we went to go. We had an offer to stay at FIL's friends 2 million dollar condo offside - for $125 (the cleaning fee). So we canceled our beach trip - and surprised the boys when we showed up at Disney World! Plus it was during July 4th week so it was hot and crowded! It was still amazing and I have been dying to go back since.

I don't feel like we got the whole experience since we had so little planning time. - so I finally convinced DH to go back and we are staying onsite. It took a little while but I convinced him to stay at Poly - so I wasted no time and called and booked it today for Sep. 29th-Oct 5th. I apparently had a PIN code for 20% attached to my name which made it even better. I booked a Theme Park View room - but now I am wondering if it would be worth the extra $1k. DH says no - but this is my trip so he is leaving the choice up to me. I am thinking of so many other things I could do with that money (while at Disney). Since I have never stayed onsite before I'm wondering what opinions are? Any advice is welcomed!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #705
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1203 View Post
I just booked our first stay at the Poly today! I am SUPER excited. Last year was our first ever visit! We took our two boys (ages 3 and 5 now). It was a last minute thing - really we decided the week before we went to go. We had an offer to stay at FIL's friends 2 million dollar condo offside - for $125 (the cleaning fee). So we canceled our beach trip - and surprised the boys when we showed up at Disney World! Plus it was during July 4th week so it was hot and crowded! It was still amazing and I have been dying to go back since.

I don't feel like we got the whole experience since we had so little planning time. - so I finally convinced DH to go back and we are staying onsite. It took a little while but I convinced him to stay at Poly - so I wasted no time and called and booked it today for Sep. 29th-Oct 5th. I apparently had a PIN code for 20% attached to my name which made it even better. I booked a Theme Park View room - but now I am wondering if it would be worth the extra $1k. DH says no - but this is my trip so he is leaving the choice up to me. I am thinking of so many other things I could do with that money (while at Disney). Since I have never stayed onsite before I'm wondering what opinions are? Any advice is welcomed!
How exciting!!! IMO I'd prefer to stay club level which is about the same price. It would be garden view, but the extra level of service is outstanding. You get the beautiful view from the lounge as well.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: