Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #436
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

What a fun excursion. I don't know if we will ever make it to that port, but that is one excursion I would love to do.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #437
newbie2011
Earning My Ears

What a fun and incredible adventure you are sharing! My family and I are waiting for the next chapter... Thank you again for sharing and helping to build the excitement for our Allure adventure in December.

Did you find that making reservations for all the shows and dining options to be a bit overwhelming? I am feeling the need to create a spreadsheet that covers a week of time in order to see the whole picture

Every now and then I feel a twinge of sadness for not choosing "The Mickey Boat" as my toddler calls it. However, with the restructuring of kids clubs rules and schedules, I have less sad twinges and more feelings of excitement as cruise time gets closer. Shrek is looking like he will take very good care of us.

Keep on writing! My mom will be here in May and I can't wait to share your trip report with her.
newbie2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #438
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Sorry for the drive by

last week! I had actually replied to all of the comments the other day but lost the post on submit due to the site going down, and then when I checked in yesterday it still must have been down because it timed out. BUT all seems well so far today so I'll start with an update if luck holds out and then try to get the replies up. We'll see what happens! Ha ha! Hang on.....

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #439
nenner1

Hang Ten, Gain Ten!

Back onboard, up at the pools. The main pool bleacher seating was pretty empty but the Beach Pool had plenty of folks out and about:

H20 zone, pretty empty:

The kids were hungry. So we decided to feed them. We were close to it, and since it was a port day we thought it might not be too bad…..so we went to…..

Windjammer.

There wasn’t too much interesting to eat this day. It was nice to see Savannah was feeling better, apparently:

No you aren't seeing things, she decided to put on the same clothes she had just worn the other day. WE made her go change. Ha ha! And told her to stick on a few extra layers because it's time to hang ten! And well....HANG!

And it was a good thing she ate all of that spaghetti- she finally weighed enough to go on the zip line! (75 pounds exactly!)

Here she goes!!! Video - click to play!

It’s a long way down!

While the big kids played, Sarah enjoyed a round of golf her way.

She makes her own rules. Luckily there were no other kids there to interfere. LOL. Although she did try to escape out and snag balls from the real course!

Now she’s an old pro. She went several times in a row before it was time for more flowrider:

Wait...what...who was that?

And finally time for Sarah to play in “her place” again…

What a wonderful day, and we have a busy, busy evening ahead still!

Up Next: Date Night!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #440
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Jen, so sorry, I have been something of a stranger to this report - I lost track of it while we were away in October and (I'm ashamed to admit) haven't managed to catch up since.
That’s OK Joh, I totally know what you mean, I haven’t caught up on my reading yet either! One of these days…..LOL!

Quote:
Anyhoo, I went back to the beginning and started again and now I am all caught up. All I can say is 'Wow!' Either you are a really good trippie writer (which we know you are) or this ship is just amazing! Every time I finished reading a segment, I would turn to DH and say 'I wanna go on this ship!!!' Of course he already knows that since I have been going on and on about it for ever. I found a cracking itinerary, sailing through the Panama Canal which just happens to coincide with my 40th Birthday so, of course, I am hoping against all hope that he will go ahead and book it. He has pretty much said that, if he can get another permanent job by the middle of the year (he is due to be made redundant between June and December) then we can go

It is the Vision of the Seas, rather than the Oasis or Allure, and I am assuming there are many differences. I would still love to sail the Oasis or Allure but I think DH would prefer a different itinerary.
That sounds wonderful!!! I’d love to do the PC one day! I’ve heard good things about Vision OTS- that class has some diehard fans over on Cruise Critic! Hope everything works out with his job so that you can go!!!

Quote:
Anyway, keep up the good work - I'm back on board now (pardon the pun) and anxiously waiting for more. Looking forward to seeing what you did at St Thomas since we only did Paradise Point there in October on our DCL cruise.
Well, we didn’t do too much- this one was all about the ship. Hee Hee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl726 View Post
WOW that show looks amazing!! Does that only perform once for the week? Are the dining times on RCCL different than how DCL works?
Ocean Aria performs three or possibly four times per cruise. The schedule doesn’t change up too much, but reservations for this one in advance are almost totally necessary. Of course it can be watched from the public decks above as well!

RCCL has two regular dining times, I think 6 and 8:30. There is no rotation like DCL, every night is in the MDR. But they also have My Time Dining – which is what we do- that allows you to either schedule a reservation for dinner nightly at a time that is convenient for you – or just show up to the dining room when you want to eat! We love the flexibility of MTD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Oh, those savory rolls were a hit with my sister and niece! And strawberry soup...Yumola! You know, my warm chocolate cake with pear sauce did not look nearly as good as yours. Me thinks the Monarch needs to get working on perfecting their recipe.
Oh yeah, ours was delicious- sorry yours wasn’t! I think it just might have been the MDR dessert highlight of the week!

Quote:
OceanAria is not an extra fee, correct? It looks incredible!
Nope, all shows are free and included!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor DonDuck View Post
OceanAria looks like a really nice show. Thanks for posting pics and video. My daughters thought they were cool.
Staring at the strawberry soup pic and brought back fond memories of Disney's soup. Yummmmm.
Oh my gosh, I love the DCL strawberry soup- the highlight of embarkation day buffet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfamily4 View Post
Miss you!
Aww, thanks! I’d been back a couple of times over the weekend to post more but the site wasn't cooperating. Hopefully it holds out- I’ve copied this post to word so I don’t lose it again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEeyore View Post
Either the mail or the kids and life in general are keeping you busy. Missing you and your reports.
Yep, craziness as usual around here. LOL. Never a dull moment. But I’ll keep chugging along….

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Looks amazing!! How long did the excursion last all together?
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingis2me View Post
It was a fun excursion! It was about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. It was exactly what we were looking for because this vacation was much more about the ship than the ports.
Off the top of my head I was thinking 4 hours but the first pic was taken at 9:20 AM and the last at 12:49 PM, so about three and a half hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Ooooh! Hanging and Gaining...does this mean Savannah's zip line is coming up?
Hmmm…..we’ll see…well….now you can see! Haha!

Quote:
Wowsa, the water is so beautiful. We are so wanting to do an Eastern Caribbean for the sites...I hesitate since they typically have an extra at-sea day (I prefer port calls myself).
Oh we LOVE the Easten, the islands are so gorgeous! I would so love to do a Southern Caribbean one day..Tortola, St. Kitts, Antigua are all right there! Ah, I can dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Okay, the aerial show looks fun! Did the kids get wet?
Only a little bit, mostly spray from the fountains. It wasn’t like Shamu splash zone or anything. Hehe.

Quote:
We loved St. Thomas! I don't remember seeing so many iguanas there Your pirate snorkel sounds like the perfect excursion - Plenty of rum punch, plenty to see, and time to shop and eat after
Were you docked at Havensight? I think that might be it- we didn’t see any critters there either but they were everywhere at Crowne Bay! We love St. Thomas too! Happy to be going back in Sept- I am really hoping to score Thomas for a charter!!! So we can do it up Ellen style! Woo hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DundasDad View Post
I can't be the only one that gets excited when I go to the last page on this thread and watch my scroll bar indicator get REALLY tiny as Jenn's pictures load?
Also ... I keep seeing pics of it, but I still can't believe how HUGE that ship is!!!
Ha ha! Ok I admit it gets a little annoying when I check in on my phone! LOL! Yes that ship was totally a monster. You really need a wide angle lens to take a picture of it! Criminy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Great update Jen, we were going to do that excursion on our last DCL cruise.
Wish we had now.
Aw, yes it was so much fun! I’d do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
loving this review!
Thanks so much for reading! Glad you are loving it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchsMommy View Post
Really enjoying your TR - we are thinking of broadening our Cruise horizons and your wonderfully detailed and (truly ) entertaining report is giving me alot to think about! Thank you.
You’re so welcome, glad you are enjoying it! Hope it helps you with your future plans!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
What a fun excursion. I don't know if we will ever make it to that port, but that is one excursion I would love to do.
It was really great- the crew did make a difference they were a LOT of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2011 View Post
What a fun and incredible adventure you are sharing! My family and I are waiting for the next chapter... Thank you again for sharing and helping to build the excitement for our Allure adventure in December.
Awesome! So glad you are finding it helpful!! You will LOVE Allure!!!

Quote:
Did you find that making reservations for all the shows and dining options to be a bit overwhelming? I am feeling the need to create a spreadsheet that covers a week of time in order to see the whole picture
Well, I absolutely do advise a spreadsheet. We made one too. I admit I am used to planning out every little detail like that so it didn’t bother me a bit, but yes you really do have to have it all planned out in advance. It’s hard to be spontaneous on the Mega Ships, but honestly I didn’t find it all that different from planning a Disney Cruise! Again, though, I am an overplanner!

Quote:
Every now and then I feel a twinge of sadness for not choosing "The Mickey Boat" as my toddler calls it. However, with the restructuring of kids clubs rules and schedules, I have less sad twinges and more feelings of excitement as cruise time gets closer. Shrek is looking like he will take very good care of us.
I absolutely agree! I think you will find Shrek quite hospitable! Its truly a wonderful experience. Not Disney but in a lot of ways not really comparable even. You’ll have a fantastic time!

Quote:
Keep on writing! My mom will be here in May and I can't wait to share your trip report with her.
Awesome, I hope she enjoys it too!!! There much more to come!

Oh and we just booked Allure again for 2013! 9/22/13 if anyone wants to join us! LOL!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #441
livingis2me
DIS Veteran

Well, it's official... We put our deposit down for 9-22-13 on the Allure. Just can't wait to get back.... That will end up being two years in a row that we cruise the same date. ....assuming those Mayans are wrong.

Ron
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #442
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post

Oh we LOVE the Easten, the islands are so gorgeous! I would so love to do a Southern Caribbean one day..Tortola, St. Kitts, Antigua are all right there! Ah, I can dream!

Me too! I keep waiting for DCL to do a Southern! I wonder why they don't

Only a little bit, mostly spray from the fountains. It wasn’t like Shamu splash zone or anything. Hehe.
Oh, no jet skis like Water World?

Were you docked at Havensight? I think that might be it- we didn’t see any critters there either but they were everywhere at Crowne Bay! We love St. Thomas too! Happy to be going back in Sept- I am really hoping to score Thomas for a charter!!! So we can do it up Ellen style! Woo hoo!

I don't know - there were lots of little shipping containers and shops and Taxis right there

Oh and we just booked Allure again for 2013! 9/22/13 if anyone wants to join us! LOL!
Yay for booking!!!! Now you can start your spreadsheet!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #443
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Yea! Savannah enjoyed the zip line...very cool! And the lunch she ate to "pack" on those pounds (um, looking at pictures it does not appear she packs on much though!) looks yummy. Who can go wrong with chocolate cake, right?

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #444
livingis2me
DIS Veteran

I think it's time for an update Jen.

Ron
Old 02-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #445
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

Miss you! Please come back
Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #446
nenner1

Mea Culpa. Sorry for the delay- the sick has been rolling through this house again- knocked me out for a good week. Then it seems like every time I come to the Dis lately it has been so slow, I can never manage to get much done.

And now I am trying to learn my new camera-whoa. Why did I need a new camera you may ask? Well. you'll soon find out. But first- dinner at Chops Steakhouse!

We now return you to your scheduled trip report.....lol...

Old 02-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #447
LoriABil
DIS Veteran

The H2O Zone looks amazing! Can't wait to read more!
LoriABil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #448
nenner1

Chop Chop at Chops!

This evening our dinner was one I was really looking forward to- Chops Grille! It was absolutely by far the best meal we had onboard Independence and we expected no less for this cruise.

We got the kids fed early (Sorrento’s again) and up to the kids’ clubs ASAP. We had an 8PM reservation and actually wanted to get there-and hopefully seated early because we had the Comedy Show scheduled at 10 and wanted to arrive there with enough time to (hopefully) get a decent seat. Our last meal at Chops-as wonderful as it was- was quite lengthy so we were concerned about the time constraints.

I really love the location of the specialty restaurants on Central Park. It is so beautiful lit up at night, the perfect atmosphere for an elegant, intimate dinner.

The little light show is fun and relaxing to watch:

This evening ominous clouds were overhead and it was actually beginning to sprinkle a bit outside. As we approached the restaurant, we considered the outdoor seating options, I was concerned with the heat, since we had been quite warm at both Rita’s and Samba. At least some of the outdoor seating area did have a semi-glass enclosure and appeared to be somewhat air-conditioned but we decided with the chance of rain that it was better to stay inside.

We arrived at chops at about 7:45 PM, not very early for our 8:00 reservation after all. As we checked in, we inquired about being able to be seated early. The restaurant was obviously very busy but the hostess said they would be able to accommodate us, and asked us to take a seat in the waiting area.

We ended up having to wait a while for a table. We watched quite a few couples arrive and be immediately seated and as it grew closer and closer to our 8 PM and our actual reservation time, we really began to get concerned about the time and that we had been overlooked (even though we were the only ones seated waiting for a table). As we saw a few more couples enter the restaurant at 8PM, we decided to get up and return to the hostess stand to express our concern, and as we did so, we were told our table was ready. Hmmm.

Chops was very lovely inside. The décor is rich, with dark woods, heavy fabrics and patterns and intimate low lighting.

We were brought to a very small two-top table in a long line of tables that were booth seating on one side and a chair on the other side. The tables were impossibly close together, less than 2 feet apart- probably more like 18 inches. Even the skinniest of patrons had to turn sideways to squeeze between the tables. I did not care for such tight quarters at ALL. It is impossible to not hear the conversations at the tables adjacent- no matter how hard you try to speak in low tones or whispers, and regular conversations could be hard to hold if tables on both sides of you were talking. I didn’t really want to listen in on our neighbors but you really didn’t have a choice. And I didn’t feel as comfortable about relaxing and enjoying our conversation as well, knowing that we were being heard too (not that we had anything negative or salacious to say, just that I felt rude actually talking, like we were imposing on the tables besides us or something. Call me neurotic but I just would have felt much, much more relaxed with some room to breathe.

Chops Menu:

I was also not as comfortable taking pictures inside Chops. It has a very dark atmosphere and my camera- even my good one- was not a DSLR so I had no choice but to use flash. Flash in a dark restaurant can be quite imposing but especially in such close proximity to others. I did not want to be disturbing everyone so I took only the minimal food porn shots, and I didn’t really get any good pictures of the inside of the restaurant.
Here is one picture of the interior, graciously borrowed from Cruise Critic Member QTMichele’s awesome review..

And this picture from Beyondships.com shows our table exactly (the 2nd one from the end). You can see the close proximity of the seating arrangements.

We explained to our server that we had the comedy show at 10 and she assured us that would not be a problem. We are pretty fast eaters anyway so I felt comfortable we would make our reservation. I started with her suggestion of the Chops signature cocktail. I wish I could remember better but it was some sort of blackberry and blueberry martini. It was fabulous!

The bread came out shortly afterward. It was a whole grain bread with sun-dried tomato butter. I didn’t recall the bread in Chops on Indy being this variety- I recall it being a white bread that we ate way too much of. I didn’t care for this bread as much, which is probably a good thing- to avoid filling up on it!

We placed our orders and quickly our appetizers arrived. I chose the Warm Goat Cheese and Basil Soufflé- double baked soufflé served with portabella mushroom confit and creamy sage reduction.

DELICIOUS!!! Rich, cheesy, smooth, everything you would sant in a cheese souffle. The Portabella caps were grilled to perfection. Tender but crisp, and not chewy. YUM!

Ron chose the Dungeness Crab and Shrimp Cake with Remoulade sauce. He also said it was amazing, crispy and flaked with thick chunks of crab shrimp meat.

He also selected the Forest Mushroom Soup-scented with white truffle oil. Earthy, creamy, and just fabulous.

Our meal- despite the unintended intimacy with our neighbors- was off to a pretty good start.

After a short wait came the moment we had been waiting for. Drum roll please…our steaks!

We both selected the Filet Mignon- 10 ounces of a thick and flavorful cut from the tenderloin. Since I like my steak Medium-well, mine was butterflied, which I do not prefer, but it is the standard practice at Chops for medium-well and well-done filets.

And of course…the ever present halved grilled tomato.

Ron likes his steak medium, so his was not butterflied:

We also requested onion rings as a side order, and we shared one of the gigantic football sized Rock-Salt Baked Idaho Potatoes. Since we had mentioned our intention to share the potato, it was served to us already split:

Now, about the steaks…..maybe we had unrealistic built up expectations based on a memory 18 months in the past and our recollection was not as we thought. But- and I hate to say it- the steaks were not GREAT. They were good, but not cut with a spoon, melt in your mouth great like they were on independence. My steak- although a perfect light pink-grey medium well, seemed not quite as tender as it could have been. I could (and should) have stated my preference to not have it butterflied, I’m sure, and I would advise those of you out there to do choose to not butterfly if you prefer your meat more on the cooked side. I know they can do it-any good steak house of that caliber should be able to prepare a filet medium -well without having to butterfly. It was still tender enough- and great with the sauce but the meat itself did not have a huge amount of flavor or spice. And I just did not prefer having so much crispiness due to the searing of so much surface area of the steak.

Ron’s opinion did not differ too much from mine. Very good but not GREAT. We almost felt like the steaks were a little bland. The potato was good (but it just a baked potato after all), and the onion rings were just OK too- nothing special. They tasted a lot like Johnny Rocket’s onion rings (Ron liked JR’s better though).

So, I would not say we were disappointed in the food, just not blown away like we thought we would be. Maybe our expectations were unrealistic. I’d like to say they were but in hindsight we had a much better overall experience the next night at Giovanni’s Table. More on that to come!

Of course we were not leaving without the amazing Mud pie for dessert. I was way too full to even attempt to eat it now, so I chose to take mine to go. Ron could still manage to eat his now though:

Now this did not disappoint a bit. By far the best dessert onboard. Amazingly dense, rich and so chocolately. Sinful!!!

True to her word, our server did have us finished and leaving the restaurant in less than an hour and a half. We did not feel rushed too much however, and like I mentioned we like to eat more fast paced so it worked out well. She hasn’t the most personable though, and she had a thick accent that was difficult to understand. Not bad service by any means, just not outstanding either.

Overall we left Chops satisfied but not feeling like we’d just had the best meal ‘evah’-like we were hoping we would. I really do think our dining experience would have been much improved by a more isolated seating situation. When you are having an intimate romantic dinner- and having three children, we just simply do not get enough of those to just the two of us- you don’t want to feel as if you are being eavesdropped on or listening to others (albeit unintentionally). If you go to Chops and want a quiet-more private experience – do ask before being seated if you can avoid those tables. If you are the kind that likes meeting tablemates and eating with others those little booth seats may be more for you!

We did have just enough time after dinner to run up to the room, drop off my mud pie and change into more comfortable clothing and shoes. I had worn a pair of heels to chops that was quite uncomfortable. I was retaining a bit of water, and I don’t know if it was due to all the walking onboard but my feet had swollen considerably. I hadn’t seen such sausages since I was 9 months preggo! Bring comfy shoes, folks!!! I was much, much more comfortable back in my flip-flops!

Up Next; (More) Close Encounters of the Weird Kind

Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #449
nenner1

(More) Close Encounters of the Weird Kind

We went down to the Entertainment Place on Deck 4 to the Comedy Live venue.

Love the theming down here in the “basement” LOL!

Ron and I both love stand-up comedy so we were really looking forward to this show. As we arrived at about 9:40 PM, we found that while there was still some seating left, all of the good center seats were gone. We ended up toward the back on the side. There was an awful lot of awkward seating going on where couples would sit and leave one chair, then another couple would sit and leave another open chair and so there were lots of scattered individual seats. We witnessed an interaction where a couple arriving asked another couple seated to move one chair down so that they could sit together and were met with resistance. It was pretty funny when that same couple then spotted another pair of seats near the front- obviously occupied as there were personal items in the chairs..The woman headed for them while muttering “THERE IS NO SEAT SAVING” and I knew she was going to get turned away by the rest of the people in that party-and of course she was. That couple did eventually find seats together near the back. When the standby folks were let in about 5 minutes to show time, there was a lot more of the groups or couples asking people to move a seat down and we were a bit surprised to see that nobody really would. (Not us, we were already on the end of a row, and would have happily scooted but there was nowhere for us to scoot to!) Standby folks have to expect to be separated though-keep that in mind if you decide to do standby at a show.

We loved this little venue though. The seats were deep and comfortable-although the view from the back was not the greatest, the intimacy of the club leads to a camaraderie with those around you that when you are all laughing together it doesn’t matter so much that you can’t see the stage.

Here are several views of the interior of the intimate comedy club:

The view from our seats (sorry for the blurry pic)

Ron liked the ‘Cocktail Comics” bar menu: Creative!!!

So with all of the pre-show seating comedy (and drama!) over, the show began with a short 5 minute stand-up routine by Matt (I think that was his name), the activities director. Even he was very funny. The show was off to a good start!!!

The opening act was a 30-minute set by comedian Rick Corso. We had never heard of him before (off-hand) but he has is no stranger to the club circuit back on land and of course had been on TV featured on Showtime, Comedy Central, MTV and VH1, among others). He had a lot of cruise-ship based material and also a lot of his act based around New York and New Jersey and being Italian. It was really funny stuff. I was laughing so hard. Totally loved his act. He ended up with song about life on a cruise ship, watch this short video clip on you tube to see a little taste of his material:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB7Pc19o0HY

We thought Rick Corso was so great, we didn’t think it could get much better with headliner Phil Tag, but boy were we wrong! Phil was just terrific. I was laughing so much I was crying! Phil, like Rick had been on Showtime, Comedy Central, A&E, and also the Tonight Show. He was very polished and professional and his timing was impeccable. Not as much of his material revolved around cruise themes, but some did. The joke I found the funniest was in regards to the size of Allure and how she looked like she just *pooped* out the little carnival ship behind to us in port. (Of course the other word for poop was used). I was rolling at that one because we thought the same thing back when we took this picture in Port Everglades:

It has been a long running joke of our family about Allure and Oasis having “butts” (well, the design of the Aquatheater lends that impression, does it not? Yeah we aren’t above crude potty humor in our household. We have two tweens after all!) So hearing that little tidbit which took it to the next level was a special echelon of hilarity to us.

This was just one example, though, of his act. Our mouths and face muscles ached from laughing after the show, and everybody in the club seemed to enjoy it as thoroughly as we did.

To get a little taste of Phil’s comedy, check out this short you-tube video. Some of the material is the same as what we heard onboard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjaSKZ6Y-tc

Phil Tag did do a meet & greet outside the venue after the show and he also had a video for sale, but we were in a hurry to get the kids out of the club before 11:15 when we would be charged for another half-hour. (After 10 PM is $6/hour). So if you do enjoy the comedy show on your cruise, and you are interested, you may get an opportunity to meet the comedian, get an autograph on your Compass, or buy some of their material.

So our opinion is absolutely do not miss the comedy show on your cruise! Though you will likely have different comedians (they change all the time), this is an example of the caliber of performer to expect. And just a note- the comedy shows on Allure are for adults only (18 and up). We found that the content was only mildly sexually tinged and while there was a lot of profanity it wasn’t really over the top. While obviously not appropriate for children, I do not believe most adults would be offended by the material contained in this show. Of course it is a comedy show. Come with thick skin, you may get heckled!

Wish we had time to hang out in Blaze; I just love the name and design!!

Quest was also this evening, at 11:45. We were just way too exhausted to even consider it though. I don’t know how everybody does it, we were literally about to drop once we got back to the room. While I am bummed that we missed Quest –AGAIN- at least on our next RCCL cruise we still have something “new” to look forward to. C’mon Royal throw us a bone and move Quest to a Sea Day, would ya???? Please?

Down in the Aquatheater, the beautiful Fountain Show was in full swing:

I wish we had time to gab a drink at the bar and sit and relax and watch it but in all honesty we both probably would have fallen asleep right there in the beach chairs!

Back in our staterooms, we had a cute little frog and the kids had a stingray!

Up Next: Capt. Alan’s Wild Ride!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #450
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Another great update! Sorry you haven't been feeling well...hope you are well on your way to feeling great now. Interested in hearing about the new camera!

What a major disappointment as far as your dinner is concerned. I agree on those tables...too close for comfort (and how I felt eating in Le Cellier). At least dessert was good though, right? (A person can pretty much always count on chocolate!)

Love those comic menus in the Comedy Club! Seems like you ended the evening on a good note!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allure, cruise, rccl, rci, shrek

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: