Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
CindyIsMyFave
DIS Veteran

Royal Plaza - DTD

While it pains me to go to WDW and recommend not staying at a Disney property, this trip is a quick weekend bachelorette party. On a budget for most. So I've got the mousesavers rate at Royal Plaza for one of the tower rooms. It sounds really nice . . . recently renovated, granite sinks, higher floor. And can sleep 5 if needed.

We're not going into the parks at all, but instead will be doing counter service DTD for several meals and shopping there. Maybe mini golf. Then 1 meal at the Swan and 1 at the Contemporary. So I think it makes sense to be able to grab a DTD bus to any resort we want, instead of staying at a Value resort and not having resort to resort service.

Thoughts? Anyone who's stayed RP recently? TIA!

Most recent trips:
Dec/Jan 2011-2012 at POFQ (New Year's Eve) - Mar 2011 at WL - Dec/Jan 2009-2010 at CBR (New Year's Eve) - May 2009 at POR for 6th anniversary
60 visits and counting thanks to Mom & Dad taking me at least once a year since age 1. (32 year streak continues thanks to DH now)
CindyIsMyFave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
kapoof
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the dtd Hilton not the royal plaza, It pained us also not to stay at a Disney resort. The Hilton was ok, just ok. I think in your case it makes sense, because you will be at dtd a lot. Just give yourselves enough bus time for traveling can be a headache. Buses from the dtd resorts share and leave every .5 hour or so they claim. You can catch buses from dtd to resorts, again leave plenty of time. I will warn you, if you are a huge Disney person you might miss your disney resort, we did and ended up moving to the poly. Have fun whatever you decide!

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

This resort is considered part of the "Orlando Area Resorts & Hotels Board" -- you may get better results by posting the same over there.

In this instance, I'm just going to move this thread there since this board is exclusively about the Disney resorts.

Thanks!

kNOX

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
GOLFDISNEY72
Mouseketeer

I just asked about this resort the other night. I had one person post with less then positive comments. I have looked at a few different sites that have some positive feed back.
2000 Nov Off Grounds
2006 Nov Movies
2007 Nov POR
2008 June Off Grounds/Oct POR
2009 April Pop/May POR/ Oct Dolphin-POR
2010 Feb POR/April POR/Sept POR/Oct Dolphin-POR
2011 March POR/May Dolphin/Nov POR
2012 Feb POP/July Dolphin/Nov POR
2013 Feb POR/May YC/Oct Buena Vista/Nov Dolphin
2014 April POR/Oct Pop
GOLFDISNEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
sdzman
Kid @ Heart

The DTD resort buses are not that great, they are crowded and slow. The Royal Plaza is a nice hotel and the tower rooms are very nice (avoid the older wing rooms). It's not the same as staying at a Disney resort but overall it's pretty good place for a nice room.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
CindyIsMyFave
DIS Veteran

Ok, thanks. Yeah, Poly or a villa somewhere would be great. But the only Disney ones in the price range are really the values (like an ASMU family suite). And I just don't love the Values. Anyway, the bride and her friends are a bit young, so $$ is a concern.
(And sorry Mod. I thought I'd seen some other DTD hotel posts on here; didn't know about the other board.)

Most recent trips:
Dec/Jan 2011-2012 at POFQ (New Year's Eve) - Mar 2011 at WL - Dec/Jan 2009-2010 at CBR (New Year's Eve) - May 2009 at POR for 6th anniversary
60 visits and counting thanks to Mom & Dad taking me at least once a year since age 1. (32 year streak continues thanks to DH now)
CindyIsMyFave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

We stayed there a few years ago because my DH had meetings there and I really liked it. Our room was nice and roomy for a hotel room. We had two beds and a pull out sofa bed, a big bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. We were in the tower over looking DTD. The pool was just OK, but we didn't spend much time there anyway. They had a nice gift shop in the lobby. It may be great for you because you can walk to DTD from there easily.

Now like I said, this was about 4 years ago. I would check tripadvisor.com for better reviews. My DH swears by that website because they are pretty much spot on.

Have a fun trip!!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
aquagreenpbc
Earning My Ears

It's been several years since my one and only visit. I personally had a bad experience with cleanilness, which is a deal breaker for me. I know this can happen anywhere, but the manner in which it was handled was unacceptable to me. I also found the hotel to be dated even after a sloppy reno. If you have a really good rate, and go in with really low expectations, it could work. If you are used to the Disney experience and their dedication to guest service, you will likely be disappointed. There are great off property options, I just happen to think Royal Plaza isn't one of them.