Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Ed J
Removing my ears

Location: Near the beach in NJ, not the shore, tourists call it the shore.

A few groups staying at imperial palms and royal palms at the same time questions

I booked our family at the imperial palms and my SIL booked her family at royal palms and if things work as planed her son will book his fam at royal palms also.

I looked that the maps and imperial and royal look to share the same parking lots. Can anyone tell me if they share the same checkin desk? Share the same express market and main pool? It looks like we will be staying across the parking lot from each other, am I correct in that assumption?

Also any feed back on the place, is the shuttle really that much of a pain to get to the world center? I don't mind shelling out a few bucks for a cab, can I get liqured up and take a cab from the hotel to my villa? Are there cabs waiting? I'd assume so as I'd expect it to be like any other Marriott hotel.

I know there are a few of yeahs that have been here, Dick Taylor, I'd really like your feed back on this if you'd be so kind.

How is the golf course there? I have not played hawks yet and plan to. What about fishing the ponds on the course? Anyone done that? How did you do?

Thanks in advance for any info .
11/11 (Jersey week) Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve & POR
8/09 Grand Californian Hotel 11/10 (Jersey week) Marriott's Cypress Harbour & Holiday Inn @ DTD
11/08 (Jersey week) Marriott's Cypress Harbour & The Crown Plaza Universal
11/04 (Jersey week) Cypress Pointe 11/06 (Jersey week) Marriott's Horizons & The Nick
11/00 (Jersey week) Holiday inn ~ Now the Nick 11/02 (Jersey week) Marriott's Grande Vista
3/1989 Pineapple Peteís Hawaiian Retreat 11/1997 Embassy Suites

Iím not good at many things, but 1 thing Iím very good at is going on vacation
Ed J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Detailor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed J View Post
I booked our family at the imperial palms and my SIL booked her family at royal palms and if things work as planed her son will book his fam at royal palms also. I looked that the maps and imperial and royal look to share the same parking lots. Can anyone tell me if they share the same checkin desk? Share the same express market and main pool? It looks like we will be staying across the parking lot from each other, am I correct in that assumption?
The check-in is at the clubhouse building next to the Royal Palms pool area. As you saw on the maps, the two resorts are adjacent and share many of the facilities. I'd note, though, that there's a smallish pool at the south end of the Imperial Palms buildings. The larger pool area that serves Royal Palms is a short walk across the street from Imperial Palms. The Imperial Palms parking lot, though, is right in front of the buildings. Parking for Royal Palms is spread out through that section with parking spaces in front of each building, with over-flow parking across the street from the buildings.

The marketplace store is a very small "marketplace express" and is located in the same building where you check in. I like the regular Marriott Marketplace stores but this one wasn't very impressive. Fortunately, the hotel has a bunch of shops - it's about a half to three-quarters of a mile from the furthest Royal Palms building to the front entrance to the hotel (about a 0.3 to 0.4 of a mile from Imperial Palms).

Though IP and RP are in the same neighborhood and separated by the access road, RP is the much larger of the two. That means that a couple of the buildings are direct across from IP and the other buildings are a bit further away but it's only a quarter to a third of a mile from IP to the furthest RP building.

Quote:
Also any feed back on the place, is the shuttle really that much of a pain to get to the world center? I don't mind shelling out a few bucks for a cab, can I get liqured up and take a cab from the hotel to my villa? Are there cabs waiting? I'd assume so as I'd expect it to be like any other Marriott hotel.
I didn't use the shuttle when I stayed at Sabal Palms (a much closer walk to hotel services). But I did walk between the three timeshare resorts and the hotel and thought that the walk from IP/RP to the hotel was pretty easy. There were cabs lined up near the hotel's entrance during the day (I'm not sure whether they're there during the evening but I'd suspect so). There are several nice restaurants at the hotel, a bar in the lobby and a bar outside by the big pool complex.

Quote:
I know there are a few of yeahs that have been here, Dick Taylor, I'd really like your feed back on this if you'd be so kind.

How is the golf course there? I have not played hawks yet and plan to. What about fishing the ponds on the course? Anyone done that? How did you do?

Thanks in advance for any info .
I'd think that even if you SIL's son had to book into Sabal Palms it would work out well for your group but Royal Palms would obviously keep everybody in the same general area. It should be a good time.

The golf clubhouse is near the hotel's front entrance. I haven't played there but thought that the course looked okay (I'm used to a mix of flat and hills holes so this mostly flat course looked sort of easy). I'd be surprised if they let you on the course to try fishing the water hazards - I'd be surprised if they stock fish in them, too. But it might be worth asking.

Dick Taylor
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
amym2
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Royal Palms the week between Christmas and New Years in 2010 and took the shuttle over to the World Center. So easy- just stopped into the RP lobby and asked to take the shuttle. We didn't have to wait long and it worked the same way on the way back.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote