Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibelle View Post
That's good advice. I have been to many beaches and have never found a shark's tooth.
I have found many shark's teeth on the beaches on Hilton Head Island.

Also, you can find them here in Maryland along the rivers that empty into the Chesapeake Bay such as the Potomac and Patuxent. I've found some on both along the river beaches such as down at Point Lookout State Park.

They are quite common and once you know what you are looking for, it gets easier to see them.
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
cantwait101
My profile name says it ALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
Okay, back from Shark Tooth hunting at the beach and I've posted a mini trip report complete with pics

HERE

just click the link above to read/view

Thanks for Sharing! Those were great pics
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGMom View Post
I guess on one hand I should be glad that we don't get enough sharks around my beaches to dump a lot of teeth on the beach. But on the other hand it would be neat to find some and my kids would love it.
The teeth that you find in the Venice area are mostly fossilized teeth; the sharks that lost them have been dead for a LONG time. However ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
I don't really think there are more sharks there, it's just that the beaches are being eroded there, and ancient rivers emptied into the waters in that area, causing a pile up of fossils and shark teeth. You can snorkel about a mile off the shores of Venice beach in the "bone yard" and possibly find all types of ancient fossils of all types of sea and land animals

The storms loosen them and wash them ashore
You are completely correct about the reasons why those beaches have a lot of fossil teeth, but not so much about there not being a lot of sharks there. The water off parts of Venice is a shark breeding ground, and almost any night of the year you can walk out on the Sharky's pier in Venice and watch experienced anglers reel them in. (I've gotten some odd looks when I'm out there because it's mostly a boy's club, but I love watching. I'm not so wild about angling for them myself, I almost lost a foot to one that my Dad caught when I was 8; it got loose in the boat when I was driving.)
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwait101 View Post
Thanks for Sharing! Those were great pics
Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
The teeth that you find in the Venice area are mostly fossilized teeth; the sharks that lost them have been dead for a LONG time. However ...

You are completely correct about the reasons why those beaches have a lot of fossil teeth, but not so much about there not being a lot of sharks there. The water off parts of Venice is a shark breeding ground, and almost any night of the year you can walk out on the Sharky's pier in Venice and watch experienced anglers reel them in. (I've gotten some odd looks when I'm out there because it's mostly a boy's club, but I love watching. I'm not so wild about angling for them myself, I almost lost a foot to one that my Dad caught when I was 8; it got loose in the boat when I was driving.)
Hey, I was trying to stay in denial, lol.

I don't think I'll tell my daughter that ... she'll never get back in wather

I'll have to check out that board walk, sounds interesting!

Living Our Dream

Disney World is our Backyard !!!
earthfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #20
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Those are great pics. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could wake up each day and go shelling......
Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #21
ltl engine
Mouseketeer

OK still working on DH about the drive from Orlando but is Venice Beach a rocky beach...will DS be ok with crocs? Do we need chairs or is a blanket on the sand OK? The shark teeth are a big draw but I know they want to play at the beach too. Also do you think Mother's Day will be crowded? TIA

8/2005-All Star Movies; 8/2006-VWL
4/2008-VWL & DCL
9/2009-BCV/BLT; 5/2011 RPR & Nick
12/2012 GCH
5/2014-WL & RPR
ltl engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #22
wolf29
DIS Veteran

We visited a friend in Jacksonville Beach and were able to find about 30 teeth during our weekend stay. Once you find the first one it becomes much easier to spot them. We found mostly smaller ones, but were lucky enough to find a couple that were an inch or more. We are looking to go to Crystal River for a manatee snorkel and might stop at one of the Gulf Beaches and check things out.
wolf29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #23
OrlandoBelle
Another countdown!

We were planning to visit Clearwater in May and were hoping to find some sharks teeth there. I may have to persuade the others that Venice Beach is better
Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
seus-mouse
Mickey and Minnie Warm our hearts, all year long :)

Thumbs up

We will be going to some beaches for a few days before we go to the Dis.
Thanks all for the excellent reports
We like Ft. DeSoto beaches, I wonder if there may be any there. We always have fun getting small crab shells. My girls make necklaces when they get home. Nice memories when you see them later.

Holly

DH@WDW 11-71, 7-76, 8-77, 12-80, 6-82, 4-84, 8-86
DW@WDW 4-79, 6-82
DH : &DW &DD & DD@WDW 2-99 Wilderness Cabin, 10-01, 4-03, 4-05, 4-09, 4-11, 4-12,4-13
seus-mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #25
Mcbruns
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltl engine View Post
OK so I again have been enlightened by fabulous DISers again ...Who knew you could look for shells & SHARK TEETH at the beach We had decided to go to a Gulf beach near Clearwater for a day trip, then I saw a thread where someone mentioned looking for shark teeth on the beach. We have never been to East Coast beaches before so...are the shark teeth really hard to find (i.e. are the boys going to be looking FOREVER and not find one or fighting because only 1 precious tooth was found??) Is this a certain time of year? Any info or suggestions for beaches would be great.... TIA
We stayed at Anna Maria Island on the Gulf last June and found a few shark teeth on a morning when a storm was a brewing. They were not hard to find at all. It was a neat experience for us.
1976-offsite~ 1991-offsite~ 1993-offsite~ 1997-Swan~ 1998-Caribbean Beach~ 2003-Port Orleans~ 2004-Pop Century~ 2005-Beach Club Villas~ 2006-Contemporary ~ 2007-ASMu ~ 2007-Coronado Springs ~ 2007-Anniversary Trip GF ~ October 2008-Wilderness Lodge~2 trips in 2009 (June-WH and Sept-OKW)~ 2010-Swan for NYE ~ 2011-Poly for my 40th ~ April 2012 & July ~ 2013 Cruising on the Wonder & June trip ~2014-Lion King Suite
Mcbruns is offline   Reply With Quote