Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #31
Tami0220
Chip & Dale Fanatic

Ooops. Most Van Dyk beach not most,lol

Tami & Mike
Tami0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
shburks
DIS Veteran

Looking for recent reviews of St John ECO Hike!

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #33
safeti01
Mouseketeer

Question

Has anyone done the Mountain Bike Adventure on St Maarten
safeti01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #34
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shburks View Post
I would like this too. Kayaking and snorkeling through them as well.

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #35
crbruce_us
AKV and BLT are our vacation homes!

We did the Golden Eagle Catamaran on St. Maarten. We selected the afternoon tour. This allowed us to get up late, eat breakfast and then walk over to the shopping area near the port before we went on the tour. The shopping area is a very nice and we felt really safe there. It almost seemed like a part of a theme park it was so nice. We bought some local chocolate and some inexpensive locally made jewelry and then got back on the ship.

That afternoon we met in the theater to wait for our tour and then took a very short trip to the boat. I actually cannot remember how we got to the boat (which is really sad). I do remember we had to remove our shoes before getting on the boat. We could put them in some large bins with everyone else, but we put ours in my beach bag.

We rode for about an hour on the catamaran until we got to the beach/snorkel area. It was a beautiful ride. The only down-side was we didnít know we had to rush to get a good seat on the outside of the catamaran, so we ended up sitting inside. I think the ride was about an hour long. They handed out snorkel gear on the way over to beach snorkel area. They also asked the men to hoist the sails on the way over and back from the beach.

When we got to the snorkel/beach area we had our snorkel gear on and climbed down the ladder of the boat to start snorkeling and swimming to the beach. It was a pretty short distance to the beach, so you could swim it without gear. If you didnít want to swim they had a small boat that could take you to the beach. I donít know if anyone chose this option. One boy (around 8 years old) was very afraid to jump in the water and cried a lot while trying to get in, but he finally did it. I didnít enjoy the snorkeling here, because there were so many catamarans anchored in the area and the waves were pretty large for me. I was afraid I would get thrown into some rocks or a boat, so we ended up just playing on the beach and in the waves without the gear.

They let us know when it was time to leave and they collected our gear on the beach. We swam back to the boat without the gear. Even my DD, who is a little afraid of swimming in the ocean, was okay with swimming back to the boat.

On the way back they handed out drinks. I didnít realize that it was rum
punch and handed my 13-year old DD some punch. She was about to drink it when my DH smelled the alcohol and took it away from her. They didnít warn me there was liquor in the punch. I swear there were some kids getting the rum punch and drinking it. We actually got a chuckle out of how dumb I was to hand her a rum drink. Iím sure she wouldnít have drunk much of it after she tasted it.

All and all, it was a pretty good tour and it allows you to experience some beautiful scenery on the ride over and some nice beach time. I would recommend it if thatís what you want. I wouldnít personally recommend it for a snorkeling experience.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #36
crbruce_us

We also did the St. John Island Tour. This was a narrated, open air bus tour. He took us to some amazing places to take pictures. I would highly recommend this for those who don’t want to spend the day at the beach. We were able to spend about 45 minutes in the shops near the return boat dock and had some desserts at a small cafť in St. John.

We enjoyed a scenic boat ride along St. Thomas coastline towards St. John. On the way over, we sat on the top deck of the boat. Since it was morning and spring time, the sun really wasn’t too hot and we really enjoyed it. On the way back I would suggest trying to get on the lower deck on the side benches. This will let you enjoy the outdoors and see everything on one side of the boat, but have the shade from the boat.

This tour allowed us to see the entire island. Next time we are going back to Trunk Bay because it looked absolutely beautiful on our tour.

Last edited by crbruce_us; 04-17-2012 at 10:55 AM.
crbruce_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #37
Pappert
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=castawaycayfans;43950269]Just off the Magic on Saturday- here's what we did:

St Maarten: Bernards Tours, we contacted them independently, $40pp. They have a stand right beside the info center by the dock. We really had a great time, our driver took us all over the island and we were able to determine how long we wanted to stay at each stop. We went to Orient Beach, which was really windy and the ocean was choppy, so we only spent 30 minutes and then headed to Marigot and spent longer there. After that, we went to Maho and spent about 1 1/2 hours watching the planes. We also had drinks included in the price.

Did you book this ahead of time by their website? On the website it says that you have to have a reservation because they do not allow walk ups anymore.

Pappert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #38
Pappert
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbruce_us View Post
We also did the St. John Island Tour. This was a narrated, open air bus tour. He took us to some amazing places to take pictures. I would highly recommend this for those who donít want to spend the day at the beach. We were able to spend about 45 minutes in the shops near the return boat dock and had some desserts at a small cafť in St. John.

We enjoyed a scenic boat ride along St. Thomas coastline towards St. John. On the way over, we sat on the top deck of the boat. Since it was morning and spring time, the sun really wasnít too hot and we really enjoyed it. On the way back I would suggest trying to get on the lower deck on the side benches. This will let you enjoy the outdoors and see everything on one side of the boat, but have the shade from the boat.

This tour allowed us to see the entire island. Next time we are going back to Trunk Bay because it looked absolutely beautiful on our tour.

Here are a couple of photos of St. John we took on the tour.

Looks like we are on the same cruise.

Pappert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #39
crbruce_us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappert View Post
Looks like we are on the same cruise.
I have two co-workers going on it too. We did not coordinate the time. I think the first cruise of the summer is very popular.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #40
Debs Hill
DIS Veteran

Loving all your reviews so far, keep them coming...and some photos would be amazing! Would love to see any of Magens Bay, Trunk Bay, Honeymoon Beach and Turtle Cove!
We are booked for the Fantasy in Dec and will be stopping at St thomas/st John and San Juan
Debsx
Debs Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #41
LoveMickey
Can't wait to feel the "wonder" of the Disney Wonder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shburks View Post
Me too. Looking for reviews of this and the Mt. Top at St. Thomas.

thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #42
Debs Hill
DIS Veteran

bump!
Debsx
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #43
Disney_Alli
DIS Veteran

Anyone done the Catamaran and Chanpagne Sail? Thoughts on the excursion and would you recommend it and/or do it again?
Disney_Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #44
Debs Hill
DIS Veteran

Bump!
Debsx
Old 02-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #45
Disney_Alli
DIS Veteran

Bump
Disney_Alli is offline   Reply With Quote