Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #91
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
History buff here!! My first thought, though, when I saw Tunis on the itinerary was: What? Why? Until my DH gently told me (insert ton of bricks here): Carthage, dummy. Oh. Ok.....I get it! At which time I started googling all sorts of things about Carthage and was way psyched to go there!
So now I must jump in here (sorry to intrude, but you know you just inspire me) and say we had a very different time in Tunis and story when we got home as well. We started our day at the non air-conditioned mosaic museum. The Mosaic's were incredible, but it was hot. Disney had a kids activity where the kids actually made a mosaic to take home. They were very heavy and they had them delivered to the ship. I think the kids took them home in their backpacks because they would have put the luggage over the weight limit.

After the museum we went to the market (I knew the name it and now I can't remember it) - but here's where the fun starts...although the market sold everything...my DH decided he needed to buy a cashmere carpet..(from Tunisia, really???) So we bought a $2000 cashmere carpet (stupid americans) that 3 months later still hadn't shown up at our home. So when we called the CC to dispute the charge, all of a sudden the carpet shows up. Its stained and falling apart and I don't know what it went through but unless I can show proof that I returned it, I can't get my money back. Fat chance since we can't even get in contact with the company that sold it to us....so now I have a stained carpet that isn't usable....MORAL OF THE STORY - DON'T BUY A CARPET IN TUNISIA.

Just had to get that in. Sorry to interrupt.

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #92
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Yay!! Got an email from Rick Steve's site today and he had listing for travel classes in March. I signed up for one on "Rome" for March 3rd! There was one right before on traveling light, but I laughed and moved on. Which brings me to my next travel-related train of thought:

Does anyone else look at the clothes they buy and think: "will this be useful on my cruise?" ? I do. I even think about stuff I already have and think what I need to replace. No WAY and I going to have 2 vacations with the same exact outfits! That makes for really boring photography! As I said before, it doesn't get very warm here in the summer, so my need to purchase lightweight summer clothing just doesn't exist.

So, I haunt Rei-Outlet and Title 9 off-season looking for deals. And, when I was at the fabric store looking at patterns, my mind kept drifting to all the cute summer patterns that are beginning to appear in the pattern books. Doesn't matter that I won't need summer clothing until this august...

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #93
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yay!! Got an email from Rick Steve's site today and he had listing for travel classes in March. I signed up for one on "Rome" for March 3rd! There was one right before on traveling light, but I laughed and moved on. Which brings me to my next travel-related train of thought:

Does anyone else look at the clothes they buy and think: "will this be useful on my cruise?" ? I do. I even think about stuff I already have and think what I need to replace. No WAY and I going to have 2 vacations with the same exact outfits! That makes for really boring photography! As I said before, it doesn't get very warm here in the summer, so my need to purchase lightweight summer clothing just doesn't exist.

So, I haunt Rei-Outlet and Title 9 off-season looking for deals. And, when I was at the fabric store looking at patterns, my mind kept drifting to all the cute summer patterns that are beginning to appear in the pattern books. Doesn't matter that I won't need summer clothing until this august...

Oh my gosh - now I don't feel so bad for thinking about the outfits that I will wear a year and a half from now!! Thank you for bringing this up! After reading the Med trip report from lornak I realized that I must start shopping now! The outfits that she and her sister wore were all so cute . If I'm taking a trip like this I must have cute clothes in the photos that I will be showing all over Facebook and probably on the DIS!! And who knows what size my DD will be in at that point but I've seen some super cute dresses for formal night that I want to buy for her! It doesn't help that I work at the Mall of America - I walk past cute clothing every day so it's dangerous.
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #94
lostboysean
Earning My Ears

Yeah, Tunis wasn't a place I was really looking forward to visiting but with a chance to see Carthage I was excited. I am glad Turkey is the only Arab country on the list and if you haven't been to an Arab country before, do some reading or talk with someone who has. Turkey is very progressive and the area we will be at is safe for tourist and women but they look at both differently than Westerners. I can say that when I was there before everyone was very friendly and I had no issues.
lostboysean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #95
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboysean View Post
Yeah, Tunis wasn't a place I was really looking forward to visiting but with a chance to see Carthage I was excited. I am glad Turkey is the only Arab country on the list and if you haven't been to an Arab country before, do some reading or talk with someone who has. Turkey is very progressive and the area we will be at is safe for tourist and women but they look at both differently than Westerners. I can say that when I was there before everyone was very friendly and I had no issues.
Tunis was the second Arab country I had been two (went to Morocco during my honeymoon cruise) and I can say I was a little antsy in both places. Less so in Tunis. I will feel very safe in Turkey....you'll be there

WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #96
Travelbee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Resistance is futile! (Yes, I crack myself up!) and WELCOME to my insanity!!

DD has an eye exam in March...I quickly googled what Ortho-k was, and will have to do more research, but will certainly ask the doc when we go! I wore contacts as a kid, and once I saw DD bruising her eyes b/c of the frames and just watching them fall off her face, I decided to take her in and get her fitted. SUCH an amazing difference!
DH will be happy to know there are Star Trek fans onboard!
The only reason we switched to Ortho-K was because DD's prescription was increasing quickly. Her prescription went from 2.25/2.5 to 3.75/4.5 in 10 months. Ortho-K is supposed to stop the progression of myopia. It's been about 3 months and her eyes haven't changed, so I'm hopeful. It took some adjustments (slight discomfort with hard lenses) but once DD got used to it, she loves it. Not having to wear contacts during the day is definitely a fringe benefit.

BTW - One of your posts said you were disappointment that the 2010 med trip didn't leave a big impression on your DD. I have a funny story along that line... A few months after we returned, DD said "Remember the Colosseum in Rome?" I excitedly replied "Of course, what do you remember?" It was followed by "that's where you dropped the walkie-talkie in the toilet!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
my DH decided he needed to buy a cashmere carpet..(from Tunisia, really???) So we bought a $2000 cashmere carpet (stupid americans) that 3 months later still hadn't shown up at our home.
That's awful. But at least I don't feel as bad about spending $200 on a bowl in Tunis that broke in our luggage on our way home!

April 19, 2014: 7-Day Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy
June 15, 2013: 12-Day Mediterranean with Greece & Turkey Disney Magic
December 9, 2012: 14-Day Panama Canal Disney Wonder
July 2, 2012: 7-Day Alaska Disney Wonder
April 17, 2011: 10-Day Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder
May 15, 2010: 11-Day Mediterranean Disney Magic
November 14, 2009: Double Dip Delight (7-day Western Disney Magic)
April 26, 2008: 7-Day Eastern Disney Magic
May 17, 2007: 3-Day Bahama Disney Wonder
Travelbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #97
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

[QUOTE=Travelbee;43970139
That's awful. But at least I don't feel as bad about spending $200 on a bowl in Tunis that broke in our luggage on our way home![/QUOTE]

Glad I could make you feel better

Seriously though, what can I do? It happened and we learned from it. We're trying to find someone here that can fix it up. Haven't tried really hard, but it will get priority eventually.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #98
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbee View Post
BTW - One of your posts said you were disappointment that the 2010 med trip didn't leave a big impression on your DD. I have a funny story along that line... A few months after we returned, DD said "Remember the Colosseum in Rome?" I excitedly replied "Of course, what do you remember?" It was followed by "that's where you dropped the walkie-talkie in the toilet!".

That's awful. But at least I don't feel as bad about spending $200 on a bowl in Tunis that broke in our luggage on our way home!
Oh...too funny about the walkie-talkie! Amazing what they remember!

And was the bowl one of those that was supposed to be indestructible? The non-scratchable variety?

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
Old 02-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #99
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

So I was up till 3 this morning doing research (work tonight, so had to sleep in), and am bug-eyed from staring at the computer screen. Saw a lot of tour prospects and a few hotel options. Wow, I really think the Europeans need to take a page from our hotel playbook. Why, pray tell, does it cost THAT MUCH to get a hotel room there? Let alone 2? Look at a suite, and find that it doesn't sleep any more people...what's the point?

On the bright side, I now think I know which flight I'll be on out of Seattle on June 12,2013!!

Ok, stuff to do...

Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #100
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
So I was up till 3 this morning doing research (work tonight, so had to sleep in), and am bug-eyed from staring at the computer screen. Saw a lot of tour prospects and a few hotel options. Wow, I really think the Europeans need to take a page from our hotel playbook. Why, pray tell, does it cost THAT MUCH to get a hotel room there? Let alone 2? Look at a suite, and find that it doesn't sleep any more people...what's the point?

On the bright side, I now think I know which flight I'll be on out of Seattle on June 12,2013!!

Ok, stuff to do...
are you flying and stopping in the NE on the way? We'll probably leave Thursday 6/13 to arrive morning of the 14th.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #101
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
are you flying and stopping in the NE on the way? We'll probably leave Thursday 6/13 to arrive morning of the 14th.
No time to. We'll leave the afternoon of the 12th and get in the evening of the 13th. Remember...no direct flights from here at all. And...a 9 hour time difference to overcome...It worked out well last time to do it this way. We were pretty well fully adjusted by the time we got on the ship!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #102
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
It doesn't help that I work at the Mall of America - I walk past cute clothing every day so it's dangerous.

Sigh. It takes me an hour and a half to drive to my favorite mall.....there's an Old Navy 30 minutes away, but their summer clothes aren't high on my list of must-wears. Jeans, sure, but after a certain age some people just shouldn't be wearing their stuff.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #103
mimmi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboysean View Post
Turkey is not an Arab country. Less than 2% of the population are Arabs, they don't speak arabic, it's not on the Arabic peninsula.
There are a lot of muslim dominated countries that are not arabic.

I'm only writing that because I know from personal experience, that many people in those countries are very proud of their roots and are hurt by misconceptions.

Last edited by mimmi; 02-09-2012 at 06:14 AM.
mimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #104
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

[QUOTE=mimmi;43976144]Turkey is not an Arab country. Less than 2% of the population are Arabs, they don't speak arabic, it's not on the Arabic peninsula.
QUOTE]

Thank you for your clarification. While it is in fact not on the peninsula, it does, however, border Syria, where I believe most of Turkish citizens of Arabic descent tend to live. Lostboysean likely meant to use Muslim in lieu of Arabic. Or not. He'll chime in if I'm wrong. But based on the reasons he was there in the first place, his exposure to Turkey was more likely on this southern border than the northwestern area we'll be visiting this go-round. No offense or insult was implied. One of the things that impressed us the most on our visit to Tunis was how educated as a whole the part of their society we were was exposed to is.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #105
mimmi
DIS Veteran

I hope nobody is offended by my post, but years ago I thought that people in Iran were arabic and that didn't go down well with an Irani who was perfectly polite but still managed to make me feel like an idiot.
It was embarassing so I thought I'd better write something, I hope I didn't come across condescending.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: