Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #76
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
So, I keep everything during a trip. Tickets, maps, navigators, etc. I use them when I scrapbook the trip. Now, I'm not a hard-core scrapbooker..No decorative edges or 1 pic per page kind of thing. Nuh-uh. But, the end result is fun to look at and is handy when doing reports like this because you can look back on what you did!! Fortunately, I was able to get one of the special DCL mediterranean 2010 books that were for sale (not so much in AK ). So if there's any particular navigator question out there, I can look back to them. That being said, there are, I'm sure, lots of changes to the 2011 navigators.

So August 20th was Malta, and .....my birthday!! How many people can say they went to Malta for their birthdays? Well, except for all the Maltese.....Anyway, I thought that it was a great way to spend my b-day! I got up early as I wanted to take pics of us pulling into port. I think that the walls...the fortress...surrounding the town of Valletta was absolutely beautiful! See the arch under construction/renovation?

We took our time getting up and out as we were doing this port on our own. The bad part of this was that it wasn't getting any cooler! After disembarking, we avoided all the tourist scams...lots of horse/buggy combos that wanted to give you a tour around the town. While I'm sure it would have been nice, the prices they were charging seemed ridiculous at the time, but I'm afraid I don't remember them right now. We walked UP the hill. Here's the arch that was under construction from the other side..

We headed for St. John's Co-Cathedral, which was stunning. I have the ticket stubs, but no price was listed on them:

The cathedral was not air conditioned. Some people obviously did not bathe.

We also went to the War Museum, which we (meaning DH & I) enjoyed, DD didn't hate it as it was air conditioned. I have the ticket receipt for $15E for the 3 of us. This was the entrance:

At some point, we hit the toy museum...ok at best...save your time, and came upon a square that had a fountain. DD walked up to it, turned around and handed us her glasses, and went to get wet!

We headed back to the ship early to hydrate and get DD in the pool. The view from our stateroom:

There are cafes in that strip that have free wifi you can pilfer while standing outside, by the way....

At dinner, my dear friends had arranged for a birthday cake! It was quite a surprise!

So....what am I going to do next time? I'm interested in the Blue Grotto tour, I think. I want to take my dad to the co-cathedral, and I'm pretty sure Mindelmouse and crew would be ok with all that as well. They did something completely different and if I recall, neither of their kids had quite acclimated and were a bit under the weather. We were forcing water on DD, but even she was a bit sluggish. Did I mention it was hot? Hence the June trip this time around!!!! Malta was fascinating! It was the most bombed location in WWII...those giant fortress-like walls are where the citizens lived to stay safe. There have been multiple cultures that have called Malta home, and their language is a mix, it seems, of them all.
Yes Mindelmouse and crew would be good with that idea. We didn't get to see the inside of the cathedral and did not get to see the blue grotto. We did a tour of Valletta through Disney and our tour guide was the worst. My daugher actually got seasick on land so DH took her back to the ship while I stayed with DS. It was scorching hot and my son had me in every store in Valletta as we waited for the tour guide (we were given 2 hours to explore on our own). There was very little shade to hide from the sun. In retrospect we should have just hiked back to the ship and not waited for the bus, but that was my first port in Europe and I didn't have my bearings yet.

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #77
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
On the topic of DD's glasses...

She wears contacts now, but didn't then, obviously. If you or someone in your family has glasses but no shades to put over them, I highly recommend getting a pair of the clip ons. I've gotten them for DD at walmart near where the sunglasses are kept. It was very, very bright with a lot of glare off the water. I'm sure that didn't help her feel very good...
DD has clip ons for her glasses now and loves them.

WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #78
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelltwins View Post
Love love love the fat bike tour idea in Barcelona. I studied that picture you posted with your daughter riding behind your husband with that attachment gizmo. I know that I would feel more comfortable with my twins if they were riding attached to our bikes like she was! Is it a modified tandem kind of bike? Love the idea of seeing lots of stuff without wearing out our daughters by walking too much. Did they offer kids helmets? If you have any other words of advice about this tour, please let me know.

Thanks!!!!

Beth
It was a tandem-like attachment, but the best part was that the back of her part had two wheels, like the back of a tricycle, making all the more stable. I had to think about the helmet issue. It says on their site that they offer them, and I asked DD is she could remember, and she promptly told me that none fit properly...the kids was too small, and the next larger size too big. For the vast majority of the ride, we were off the main roads, and when we were in a busy area, i blocked the back side of DH/DD's bike that was exposed to traffic, so that I'd take the hit if there were one. Now why weren't we wearing helmets? I'm squeamish about bugs. I don't trust ANYONE with sanitation but myself. The lectures I give DD about not sharing brushes, hair bands, hats....

The ride itself was very easy, only 1 area that I can remember where there was a slope of any kind to have to really pump the legs. Highly, highly recommend this tour! I didn't get a t-shirt and wish I had (may just have to go by and get one next summer!). If you decide to do this, make a reservations and notate that you're going to want the attachment for the kids. This way, they can ensure that the equipment is serviced and ready to go. We didn't have to pay ahead of time (as in with the reservation), and they were very accommodating and helpful! They do tours in Berlin and Paris as well; hope to be able to them there as well some day!!

HTH! kim

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #79
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
Yes Mindelmouse and crew would be good with that idea.
Awesome!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #80
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It was a tandem-like attachment, but the best part was that the back of her part had two wheels, like the back of a tricycle, making all the more stable. I had to think about the helmet issue. It says on their site that they offer them, and I asked DD is she could remember, and she promptly told me that none fit properly...the kids was too small, and the next larger size too big. For the vast majority of the ride, we were off the main roads, and when we were in a busy area, i blocked the back side of DH/DD's bike that was exposed to traffic, so that I'd take the hit if there were one. Now why weren't we wearing helmets? I'm squeamish about bugs. I don't trust ANYONE with sanitation but myself. The lectures I give DD about not sharing brushes, hair bands, hats....

The ride itself was very easy, only 1 area that I can remember where there was a slope of any kind to have to really pump the legs. Highly, highly recommend this tour! I didn't get a t-shirt and wish I had (may just have to go by and get one next summer!). If you decide to do this, make a reservations and notate that you're going to want the attachment for the kids. This way, they can ensure that the equipment is serviced and ready to go. We didn't have to pay ahead of time (as in with the reservation), and they were very accommodating and helpful! They do tours in Berlin and Paris as well; hope to be able to them there as well some day!!

HTH! kim
Sounds awesome! Thanks for all of the tips on this and everything else. I think we are going to do it on our 12-nighter cruise next July! I showed my DH your post and we also looked on their website so will definitely put this in my planning file. Even though the website says to just show up, I'll send them an email and let them know we'll be wanting two attachments to the bigger bikes for our girls. I love those beach cruiser bikes. We had them when we were in college at UC Santa Barbara! I hear you on the helmet issue. Wouldn't want the girls to catch anything hair related from a strangers' helmet. But can't envision packing their bike helmets either, given all the space issues with luggage. So we will just muddle through it without helmets and tell them it is a Spain only thing.

Sorry to pester you with questions, but I've got another one! When do you recommend calling places about booking hotels and tours. A year out or now?

Thanks!

Beth

Last edited by tinkerbelltwins; 02-07-2012 at 08:20 AM.
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #81
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Sounds awesome! Thanks for all of the tips on this and everything else. I think we are going to do it on our 12-nighter cruise next July! I showed my DH your post and we also looked on their website so will definitely put this in my planning file. Even though the website says to just show up, I'll send them an email and let them know we'll be wanting two attachments to the bigger bikes for our girls. I love those beach cruiser bikes. We had them when we were in college at UC Santa Barbara! I hear you on the helmet issue. Wouldn't want the girls to catch anything hair related from a strangers' helmet. But can't envision packing their bike helmets either, given all the space issues with luggage. So we will just muddle through it without helmets and tell them it is a Spain only thing.

Sorry to pester you with questions, but I've got another one! When do you recommend calling places about booking hotels and tours. A year out or now?

Thanks!

Beth
Beth,

If I remember correctly we did it within the year we were going. I don't believe we booked hotels and tours this far out. I don't think the hotels will take the ressies or guarantee rates this far out...I've looked and can't book on the websites yet. I remember having all the discussions about tours and booking in the winter before we went.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #82
ldo
DIS Veteran

Fat Tire Bikes

We also did the Fat Tire bike tour (in 2008)---it was great. This was one of the best things we did on the trip. We hope to do it again in the Med 2013. I highly recommend it. You can book via Fattire website, or on viator.com. Sometimes, with the exchagne rate, viator gets a better rate.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #83
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:

Thanks!

Beth
No problem! Now, I can't remember exactly when I booked my hotel, but I do remember it was more than a year out and telling the booking agent not to laugh when I told her the dates. That being said, when I was looking at hotels, very few of them would show dates out that far, and I think that's why I called. We stayed at Le Meridian, and again, I wouldn't stay there again. To book, though, there was an 800 #; I didn't have to call Barcelona. Last time, I wanted the peace of mind to know that the hotel had been vetted out by someone (Disney) who's quality standards we trusted. And, not having traveled in Europe, I wanted to use the transfers to the port, and have some of the uncertainty of the check-in process eliminated.

This time, I need to focus on a completely different kind of room, and am lurking on all the threads on the main site about Barcelona hotels. Since I looked at my scrapbook yesterday and found the map, I'm planning on looking at family-style options and plotting out the addresses to see where a good location will be. Oh....and since you have twins (how old?? 9??) another thing to mention is that some places have roll-out beds available (for a fee, of course). I want to say that we were charged $50E/night for the extra bed. Really? Does it really cost that much to wash the extra linen? But, our little fish flip flops in bed too much for my DH to deal with, so the extra fee was better than dealing with his royal crankiness.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #84
tinkerbelltwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No problem! Now, I can't remember exactly when I booked my hotel, but I do remember it was more than a year out and telling the booking agent not to laugh when I told her the dates. That being said, when I was looking at hotels, very few of them would show dates out that far, and I think that's why I called. We stayed at Le Meridian, and again, I wouldn't stay there again. To book, though, there was an 800 #; I didn't have to call Barcelona. Last time, I wanted the peace of mind to know that the hotel had been vetted out by someone (Disney) who's quality standards we trusted. And, not having traveled in Europe, I wanted to use the transfers to the port, and have some of the uncertainty of the check-in process eliminated.

This time, I need to focus on a completely different kind of room, and am lurking on all the threads on the main site about Barcelona hotels. Since I looked at my scrapbook yesterday and found the map, I'm planning on looking at family-style options and plotting out the addresses to see where a good location will be. Oh....and since you have twins (how old?? 9??) another thing to mention is that some places have roll-out beds available (for a fee, of course). I want to say that we were charged $50E/night for the extra bed. Really? Does it really cost that much to wash the extra linen? But, our little fish flip flops in bed too much for my DH to deal with, so the extra fee was better than dealing with his royal crankiness.
Thanks! I'm also keeping track of the family style options on the boards too! I had initially thought that a hotel near the airport would be great to take advantage of shuttle options to the port, but after reading up on it, it wouldn't work for us as we want to be more centrally located. And we need a room that sleeps four as our two can't be in another room. Our cruises are a month apart so let's keep in touch with hotel stuff! My twins, Skye and Hope, are kickers in the bed, so we are definitely not wanting them sleeping with us adults. I usually put a rolled up blanket between them when they share a bed at a hotel and that works. Once they pass out from exhaustion they tend to sleep through the night no matter who kicks them back! Our other problem is that Hope still falls out of the bed so we like to have her side over against a wall! I hope she grows out of that habit soon! My twins are eight now, in second grade, but will be nine next year when we cruise.

Beth

Last edited by tinkerbelltwins; 02-07-2012 at 11:46 AM.
tinkerbelltwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #85
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Thanks! I'm also keeping track of the family style options on the boards too! I had initially thought that a hotel near the airport would be great to take advantage of shuttle options to the port, but after reading up on it, it wouldn't work for us as we want to be more centrally located. And we need a room that sleeps four as our two can't be in another room. Our cruises are a month apart so let's keep in touch with hotel stuff! My twins, Skye and Hope, are kickers in the bed, so we are definitely not wanting them sleeping with us adults. I usually put a rolled up blanket between them when they share a bed at a hotel and that works. Once they pass out from exhaustion they tend to sleep through the night no matter who kicks them back! Our other problem is that Hope still falls out of the bed so we like to have her side over against a wall! I hope she grows out of that habit soon! My twins are eight now, in second grade, but will be nine next year when we cruise.

Beth
My twins were nine when we did the Med last time....I think they really got a lot of it. My main issue is that mine won't share a bed...at 12 they probably shouldn't (b/g) but they've never done well with that. I did the same thing last time..tried to find a place to keep all of us in one room, it was really hard..that's why we stayed off the beaten path, so to speak.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #86
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldo View Post
We also did the Fat Tire bike tour (in 2008)---it was great. This was one of the best things we did on the trip. We hope to do it again in the Med 2013. I highly recommend it. You can book via Fattire website, or on viator.com. Sometimes, with the exchagne rate, viator gets a better rate.
OOOOOOO!!! I've never heard of Viator!! Thanks for helping to feed my planning obsession!!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #87
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Oh, the many things I should be doing....

Do I get credit for running with the dog, starting laundry, and vacuuming? I NEED to wash the floors in the worst way, but this is far more fun!!

Ok, so I'll get to more trip details later, but my mind was wandering while I ran this morning, and I started to think how I'd type trip report details while cruising next summer. I know that the wi-fi is HORRIBLE on the ship and have no intention of posting anything there, but there are a lot of internet cafes....right?

I do not have a laptop. Don't really want one. Keyboard is too small and the 17" size is far too heavy. I'll eventually cave and get one when DD actually has legitimate use for one for school. Right now, she's far too busy during the week to crimp my computer time :surf web:. Oh, and perhaps I should back up. I've never owned a PC either. Ever. Use them at work, sadly, but I am a die hard Apple fan from waaaayyyyy back in the 80's! So, like every good cult member, I have drunk my kool-aid and am on my 2nd iPhone. Well, third, actually, but that involves Applecare and a replacement, but that's another story...

I'm sitting here typing this on my less than 9 moths old 27" iMac. LOVE LOVE LOVE my computer. Why do I need such a big computer with the extra 2 TB hard drive, you ask? Well thanks for asking! I take all my pics/video and roll them all into ginormous videos. We're talking like an hour long. Started doing it the year my daughter was born and have done it every year since. I've branched out and have started doing topic-specific videos, so that those who may not want to see our Disney trips (really? who wouldn't, right? ), can opt out of that part. Lat year I even branched out and put 3 long videos on a dual layer DVD! The only bad part is that you either had to have a blue ray player to see it as intended or be knowledgeable enough to find the file in the DVD and play it on VLC. I didn't know that, and have yet to figure out how to fix that bug. What I NEED to do is to learn Final Cut, but it's so different that I really would like a class that would teach it to me. Anywho, I've clearly got obsessions, and I digress....

Back on track. The iPad 3 is in my future. Rumors of a better display didn't originally impress me......until I got my handy dandy iPhone 4s. Then, I was convinced! I'll bide my time. In the meantime, my $$ had to go to payoff the deposit on this stinking cruise, right? So, I'll pray to the shift fairy to grant me more work and maybe I'll gift myself....soon....So far, the fairy's doing a crappy job.

Well, I'm not a great typist to start with, let alone having to ramble on like I do about lots of travel details. So, I look up keyboard options. DO YOU KNOW that there is a collapsable/foldable bluetooth keyboard available??? I'm not sure if this will work, but here's a link:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5...de=MTc0MjU4OTY
And.....it's well-rated. But pricey. But collapsable!!!! Perfect! But first I need the iPad to be released...heeeellllloooooooo......Apple.....????

more later....

Old 02-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #88
Travelbee
DIS Veteran

I really resisted chiming in and was a bit overwhelmed by the 20+pages of the Dismeet thread for June 15 Med cruise, but this pre-trip report is just too good to ignore! My family, consisting of me, DH (also named Sean), and DD (also 10 at the time of cruise), booked this AND the June 27 Venice cruise on opening day. June 27 works better for our schedule because school will be out and DD will only miss one week of gym practice because her gym shuts down July 4 week. But our good friends (CasaMartinez, already posted on the Dismeet) and another Disboard family preferred the Greece itinerary, so here we are. June 27 is a backup in case the two families change plans and cancel.

Like you, we did the Med in 2010. We originally planned for 2011 but jumped on the same $999 pp deal that Jedijill spoke of. Since it wasn't our first cruise, we eagerly took the 11-night knowing how valuable the sea days are (plus it was the same price)! It seemed like we did completely different things in each port so it's fun to read what your experiences were. The only time we splurged and hired a driver was in Naples. We also paid for a private tour with an archaeologist in Pompeii, then the driver took us to Amalfi Coast. It was so worth the money!

BTW DD started wearing glasses right before 2010 cruise too. She then switched to contacts and now is doing Ortho-k. So no more glasses or contacts during the day!

April 19, 2014: 7-Day Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy
June 15, 2013: 12-Day Mediterranean with Greece & Turkey Disney Magic
December 9, 2012: 14-Day Panama Canal Disney Wonder
July 2, 2012: 7-Day Alaska Disney Wonder
April 17, 2011: 10-Day Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder
May 15, 2010: 11-Day Mediterranean Disney Magic
November 14, 2009: Double Dip Delight (7-day Western Disney Magic)
April 26, 2008: 7-Day Eastern Disney Magic
May 17, 2007: 3-Day Bahama Disney Wonder

Last edited by Travelbee; 02-07-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typos
Travelbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #89
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbee View Post
I really resisted chiming in and was a bit overwhelmed by the 20+pages of the Dismeet thread for June 15 Med cruise, but this pre-trip report is just too good to ignore! My family, consisting of me, DH (also named Sean), and DD (also 10 at the time of cruise), booked this AND the June 27 Venice cruise on opening day. June 27 works better for our schedule because school will be out and DD will only miss one week of gym practice because her gym shuts down July 4 week. But our good friends (CasaMartinez, already posted on the Dismeet) and another Disboard family preferred the Greece itinerary, so here we are. June 27 is a backup in case the two families change plans and cancel.

Like you, we did the Med in 2010. We originally planned for 2011 but jumped on the same $999 pp deal that Jedijill spoke of. Since it wasn't our first cruise, we eagerly took the 11-night knowing how valuable the sea days are (plus it was the same price)! It seemed like we did completely different things in each port so it's fun to read what your experiences were. The only time we splurged and hired a driver was in Naples. We also paid for a private tour with an archaeologist in Pompeii, then the driver took us to Amalfi Coast. It was so worth the money!

BTW DD started wearing glasses right before 2010 cruise too. She then switched to contacts and now is doing Ortho-k. So no more glasses or contacts during the day!
Resistance is futile! (Yes, I crack myself up!) and WELCOME to my insanity!!

DD has an eye exam in March...I quickly googled what Ortho-k was, and will have to do more research, but will certainly ask the doc when we go! I wore contacts as a kid, and once I saw DD bruising her eyes b/c of the frames and just watching them fall off her face, I decided to take her in and get her fitted. SUCH an amazing difference!

The archaeologist must have been amazing!! Our tour guide (we did DCL's Pompeii and Sorrento tour) was very good, but I can imagine how awesome it could have been! I'd love to hear what else you did in other ports....there's so much to see and do!!

We do have a pretty active DisMeets thread, but it's a good group! Stop on by and just jump in! We are also traveling with friends, and as there are already 37 different rooms on the Google doc ( a spreadsheet that there's a link to on the Meet site), you can get a really good grasp on the ages of kids that'll be there!

Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #90
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Tunisia....

History buff here!! My first thought, though, when I saw Tunis on the itinerary was: What? Why? Until my DH gently told me (insert ton of bricks here): Carthage, dummy. Oh. Ok.....I get it! At which time I started googling all sorts of things about Carthage and was way psyched to go there!

Well, that heat thing had pretty well shot any idea of us taking DD into Tunis with us. We talked to the tour desk and asked if we could cancel her excursion (went with DCL on this one...) and explained that the heat wasn't sitting well. They actually let us do that, and did not charge us. We were willing to just eat the cost (wasn't much...only like $40, maybe...), but were pleased that DCL was willing to work with us. I think had it been all of us it would have been an entirely different scenario.

We met in the WD Theater at 0915 (because I kept my stubs......!!!!) and were given a piece of paper ( a Tunis Visitors Embarking Card..said that on the Navigator ) that the Tunisian government would stamp instead of stamping our passport. Something to do with hostile nations, etc, etc....We started off by going to Carthage. Our tour guide was of French-Tunisan heritage and spoke very clear English. He told us a bit about the education in his country, and while they first learn Arabic, they move on to French, English, and then a language of choice (usually spanish or italian). All citizens can go to college and have it paid for, but their performance (grades) determined what college they would attend. Interesting...and do note that this information was current at that time; since the revolution last spring...who knows! And...in all the questions that were asked of him, in no way did we ever get any impression that there was any turmoil in that country.
The port was not attractive, and I didn't get any pics of the stinkin' camels they had there to "greet us". Carthage, however, was amazing:

An amphitheater with modern-day usage:

Aquaducts:

And then off to Sidi Bou Said:

Which, while pretty, looked a bit run-down and the "market" was crazy expensive. I don't like to haggle. And a lot of the stuff was cheaply made. uck. Could have done without seeing this town. However, you never know when you're going to have a great interaction with a local! DH found a little market (after avoiding some guy stalking us...) and got some cokes:

In paying the lady (who spoke no English), he pulled out a handful of change (Euros) and she got excited when he handed her a coin that had been made in Malta. Apparently, each country, though they all use Euros interchangeably, produce their own currency. She pulled out a box and started showing DH coins that had different countries on one side of them! Very cool!

This, I thought, was just funny:

Amen? I have money in my bank, amen!

We went back to the port after this, and though DH and I were glad to have seen some amazing ruins, we were happy to be back "home". While walking thru the port building, another creepy thing happened...some guy was trying to record all the people as we walked by. Very, very strange and as someone who's never been in such a situation, unnerving. Glad I went, not going back.

DD stayed in the kids club most of the day. We'd lifted her "lockdown" so that when Clifffside and family came back from their Tunis adventure they could take DD to see a movie with them. It worked well.

All abord time was 3:45 ship time (which was different that the time we were at, I guess), and as I have a Palo card scrapbooked in the Tunis section, we must have gone to Palo that night! But I don't think I took my camera as I have NO pictures of it! However, I do have a towel animal:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: