Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
javamoma
Diz Kid for Life
"Reboot" is the extent of my techinical knowledge

Audible.com question

Anybody try audible.com? Is it worth the membership fee? Or is it cheaper just to buy audio books at full price on itunes. I figured since Kevin and a few others have had eye troubles in the past couple of years that some of you have probably tried the site.

Just curious.

I spend a lot of time in the car and as you know, sometimes the folks on our favorite podcast get sick and don't record a new show I must have a back up plan!

DH myself DD7 and DS 2
1986: childhood trip, 1991:childhood trip, 1993: church trip, 1994: school trip, 1999: 21st b-day
2000: college graduation
2005: first trip with DH to WDW
2007: DD's first trip
2010: DL for DD's 5th b-day, DS 2 months old 1st trip
javamoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Justin Jett
I will do my Elvis impression at DAP, if Kevin will do a duet with me
I'm signed up and ready to go

I am on Audible.com's Gold membership. The membership brings 95% of the audiobooks down to $10 each. The usually run $15-$25 without a membership. I like it.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
daneenm
Just call me Pollyanna ...everyone else does!
this is the first time we had tried it
The kitchen is not typically a likely option

I have a 2 credit/ moth membership. I listen to Audiobooks during my commute so i use the credits every month with no problem. I like it very much and, for the books I purchase, find it less expensive than buying the books individually.

As a side note, you might also check out your local library. Ours has both audio and e-books available for checkout online. I make great use of the e-books for my iPad.
- DLH: 1999, 2008 (Concierge)
- GCH: 2004, 2006 (Concierge), 2009, 2011, 2012

WDW:
- YC Concierge: 2007, 2013, planned 7/2015

DCL:
- Fantasy, Eastern Carribean planned 8/2015

Wish I could visit more....
daneenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Bornteach

I love my Audible account. I have a platinum membership and still manage to buy books each month! It is well worth the price.

Bornteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
robertgp124
DIS Addict

I would definitely recommend Audible. Great selection and it's really no risk. Surf the net for a coupon code and you can try it for a month - cancel if you don't like it.

We started out with the gold account and upgraded it to the platinum like Bornteach. Audible periodically has sales, and you can often pick up a book or two very cheaply in addition to your credits.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

I have no idea why.....but no matter what type of book I listen to.....I fall sound asleep.

I have tried several times and can't imagine listening to one in the car.

I'd be afraid of what could happen.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I have no idea why.....but no matter what type of book I listen to.....I fall sound asleep.

I have tried several times and can't imagine listening to one in the car.

I'd be afraid of what could happen.
Me too. I am scared to death of listening to a book while driving. Not so much because I would fall asleep, but because I would get too involved in the story.

I have a friend who commutes over an hour each way to work and she listens to audio books, she told me most times she has no recollection of the drive. She says she is just kind of on autopilot while listening and sometimes is surprised to realize she is pulling into her driveway. That is just plain scary to me.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

I love my audible account. I downgraded my membership to one credit a month just because I listen to a lot of podcasts too so my unused credits were building up. I usually see if a book is available through my library downloads first and then go to audible. Because I listen to my mp3 player for sometimes up to 8 hours at a stretch in the orchard I usually save my credits to buy the really lengthy books (35 plus hours). There's only been a few times I felt I've wasted a credit. And Audible has some good sales on often that let you buy audio books pretty cheap.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
javamoma
Diz Kid for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemomma View Post
I love my audible account. I downgraded my membership to one credit a month just because I listen to a lot of podcasts too so my unused credits were building up. I usually see if a book is available through my library downloads first and then go to audible. Because I listen to my mp3 player for sometimes up to 8 hours at a stretch in the orchard I usually save my credits to buy the really lengthy books (35 plus hours). There's only been a few times I felt I've wasted a credit. And Audible has some good sales on often that let you buy audio books pretty cheap.
I have to know what book was 35 hours. That sounds enormous!

I signed up for a free trial month and downloaded a free book that was only 5 hours.

DH myself DD7 and DS 2
1986: childhood trip, 1991:childhood trip, 1993: church trip, 1994: school trip, 1999: 21st b-day
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
javamoma
Diz Kid for Life

I didn't know you could upgrade and downgrade month to month. That makes a difference. I usually only check out books from the library because I am cheap and then listen to podcasts on my commute but I have listened all the way through the dis twice (over the years), ok maybe 3 times, and my other podcasts so I'm needing new material. There are so many books out there and my time to read is limited so I thought audible.com might solve my problem. But I wasn't sure about the cost (my library doesn't offer a lot of audiobooks). You guys have talked me into it!

Kevin not only can I drive and listen to books (or the podcast), I can also run and listen to books. But not fiction. Even if it's exciting it puts me to sleep. But informational books get me fired up. I think that might make me a nerd.

Thanks for your help everyone!

DH myself DD7 and DS 2
Old 02-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
dgthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamoma View Post
Anybody try audible.com? Is it worth the membership fee? Or is it cheaper just to buy audio books at full price on itunes.
I have an Audible gold membership (one credit per month, $12.46 per credit), and find it to be a much better value than buying individual books on iTunes.

As an Audible member, you also get the opportunity to take advantage of special promotions such as the $4.95 for the first book of a series special they're running right now. Of course this one will get you hooked on a series, and you'll have to go back & buy the other books, but for the most part, I think it's still less expensive than buying full price books on iTunes.

One example. I bought the last Twilight book, Breaking Dawn, on Audible for 2 credits, so $24.92. On iTunes, the same audiobook is $35.95. So I saved $11 on one book alone.
dgthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Nancy F
DIS Veteran

I'm a Platinum member and Highly recommend them. I listen to my favorite authors books every day. I burn them on to CDs. I find the site very easy to us.
Nancy
Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

I've been on audible since pre-ipod days!! I first had an old Digital River mp3 player, then one of audible's own devices. Then Apple came out with the iPod and my books and music have been on there ever since!

I do ALL of my reading while driving. But I have to agree Kevin- if I am sitting in a chair (or even the passenger seat in the car) I fall asleep within minutes.
Very rarely do I ever get drowsy when listening and driving, and if I do- I just pop on some Beatles music and perk right up!

Since joining I have never purchased a book from them- just used my credits. I have changed my membership level around many times- never a problem. And I like knowing I have all the files on my computer- not on someone else's server.

Love audible.com!

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
book_junkie
DIS Veteran

Check Out Your Library

You might also check your local library and see if they have digital audiobooks that you can borrow as well. My library can't afford the ebook system (Overdrive) so no books for Nook/Kindle, but we do have access to a digital audiobook database that you can check out from, and run from any mp3 player. Free! And sometimes systems that would charge an out-of-residence fee would have access to a more extensive system as well- it might be good to see if the fee for a year to a library system that you might not qualify for would be comparable to your audible subscription....

My husband drives 1 hour both ways in bad traffic, and gets his audiobooks from our library- relatively new books, and a good variety from both the CD and digital versions.

Past Trips: Oct 14 Cruise & Land; Nov-Dec 2013; May 2013 WDW; Oct-Nov 2012 WDW; Oct 2011 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct/Nov 2010 WDW; Oct 2010 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct 2009 WDW; June 2008 DL ; Nov 2007 WDW Clan Reunion; Nov 2004 WDW; June 1994 WDW Family Trip; March 1986 WDW Family Trip
book_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: