Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #136
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We overnighted in St. Petersburg, Russia. I don't remember there being a "curfew" for the overnight, but I do know excursions were coming back really late. But Russia is different than Venice will be - pretty much you couldn't be off the ship in Russia unless you were on an excursion or private tour. But in Venice, I would guess that as long as you're back onboard before the ship sails the next afternoon, then you're good!

I was typing while you posted
Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #137
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
60 degrees in august
We're going in July...I intended to pack light, take a sweater, but I'd be one sad, shivering american if it got as low as 60. What did you do?? I bet the nearest gift shop sold alot of sweat shirts that day

Funny how the school districts are all different all over the country.
I don't recall ours ever scheduling exams for the last couple days of school I think they usually set those days aside for make-up work. But my kids would hate to miss them because that is when the class parties are

We checked the weather before we left for Paris and packed accordingly. It stunk to have to pack sweatshirts and rain gear, but at least we were prepared. The jeans and sweatshirts we packed didn't see the light of day after we left Paris, since it was SO WARM the rest of the trip.

Again, based on this years exam schedule, they're taking exams right up until the 2nd to last day, with the last day for make up exams. So there is no fun time here at the end of the year!
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #138
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
60 degrees in august
We're going in July...I intended to pack light, take a sweater, but I'd be one sad, shivering american if it got as low as 60. What did you do?? I bet the nearest gift shop sold alot of sweat shirts that day
We did not need anything heavy in the Med in 2007, and only had one cool night or two in the Baltic - they had unseasonably warm weather (record highs in both Helsinki and St. Petersburg) when we were there.

Quote:
I think my DH was saying he wanted to visit Nice
He went on a trip to France when he was 14 and wants to revisit a couple places he went to before.

As for missing the ship, I decided I'm not going to worry overly much about it. We'll take our passports with us and make every effort not to cut it close and be back to the ship in plenty of time...but I am so not going to be that couple running down the pier while the crowd looks on...
If we have to meet the ship in the next port I'll deal with it

I don't think we need visas in any of these ports, do we?
As far as I know we don't need visas. We loved Nice when we were there - we did a bus tour but had plenty of time to walk around the Old City / market / promenade, and we went up to the ruins and had a fabulous overlook of the city.

Quote:
For getting on London time I followed a fellow Diser's advice. She said to have something fun but not strenuous planned for the day we arrive and it should help us stay up. Now I don't know if we just got lucky, maybe had a low sleep debt prior to the cruise or slept more on the plane than I thought we did, but we had alot of fun our first day in London. Arrived in the morning, took the river cruise and the London Eye and then met Disers for dinner and went to bed between 10-11 Hoping we have the same experience this summer when we go to Paris and next summer on this cruise.
We did something similar when we went to London - we also had the Eye on the day we arrived. We got to our hotel around 9:30 a.m. and our room was ready, so we were lucky. DH went right to sleep and the boys each got a shower and went to sleep. I got a shower and then slept maybe 30 minutes and then went out to explore - I got back to the room about 11:30 a.m. and woke everyone up because while I knew they each needed a nap, I wasn't going to let them sleep too long nor waste my time in London We got something to eat and then figured out the Tube to get to the Eye. Afterwards we went to the British Museum for a bit, then stopped for dinner where some other DISers were only we didn't know they were DISers until we met them at our hotel DIS Meet and Greet we had arranged. It was fun to meet each other ahead of being on the ship and a great time to exchange information about what we'd done all day since we still had another day in London before getting to the ship.

Quote:
What instrument does your DS play?
Zachary plays trombone. Started at a summer band camp between 4th and 5th grade - loved it and still plays now in 8th. By the time we take this trip, he'll be between 9th and 10th grade so he'll have a season of marching band behind him. He's not excited about it, but he likes the other type of performances, and he's also in the jazz band at his middle school (first year they have it) and loves it. So he'll suffer through marching season to be able to do the concert band classes.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #139
MinnieGarden
Sweetie, let's focus on vacation..... step away from the techie stuff
Life would never been the same after the Podcast Cruise

Quote:
Welcome aboard
Love your Paris photo in your signature
While I have most of our Paris trip planned for this summer I could certainly use any advice as it is my first visit
My best Paris tip is to dress in layers! Being from Texas, I had a really hard time with that concept, especially since we were in the middle of record heat. The weather outside was absolutely gorgeous, however indoors and in the Metro was a totally different story! Air conditioning seemend to be a foreign concept and there wasn't a fan any where to be found. So, I often wore a very light sweater and took it off inside where it was unbearably hot.

Also, I recommend staying in an American-branded hotel. For our ABD, we stayed at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe. Good air conditioning and ameneties! We added on three days after our adventure and rented an apartment near the Eiffel Tower. While I would totally do it again, it was a COMPLETELY different experience.

And the Eiffel Tower..... we had lunch actually in the tower. If I had it to do all over again, I'd skip it. Lunch was ok, however the elevator system to get you there and back down was absolutely awful. My husband is an avid photographer, and actually went up another level when I left to go shopping. He actually took the stairs down instead of getting back in the elevator. Besides, you can't see the tower if you're in it! (and be sure to save time to watch the tower sparkle at night! Truly magical.)

Hope that helps! If you need a car service, let me know. I still have the name and number of our driver that was recommended to us by ABD.

MinnieGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #140
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
We checked the weather before we left for Paris and packed accordingly. It stunk to have to pack sweatshirts and rain gear, but at least we were prepared. The jeans and sweatshirts we packed didn't see the light of day after we left Paris, since it was SO WARM the rest of the trip.

Again, based on this years exam schedule, they're taking exams right up until the 2nd to last day, with the last day for make up exams. So there is no fun time here at the end of the year!
Yeah some things you can't change so best to just deal with them and move on to the things you can control

Quote:
We did not need anything heavy in the Med in 2007, and only had one cool night or two in the Baltic - they had unseasonably warm weather (record highs in both Helsinki and St. Petersburg) when we were there.

Which Baltic were you on? Ours was the last one and our tour guides were all commenting on the unusually warm weather we had too. Only really bad weather we had was a sea day which was fine with me as I'm not a pool person anyway.

As far as I know we don't need visas. We loved Nice when we were there - we did a bus tour but had plenty of time to walk around the Old City / market / promenade, and we went up to the ruins and had a fabulous overlook of the city.

Sounds great.

We did something similar when we went to London - we also had the Eye on the day we arrived. We got to our hotel around 9:30 a.m. and our room was ready, so we were lucky. DH went right to sleep and the boys each got a shower and went to sleep. I got a shower and then slept maybe 30 minutes and then went out to explore - I got back to the room about 11:30 a.m. and woke everyone up because while I knew they each needed a nap, I wasn't going to let them sleep too long nor waste my time in London We got something to eat and then figured out the Tube to get to the Eye. Afterwards we went to the British Museum for a bit, then stopped for dinner where some other DISers were only we didn't know they were DISers until we met them at our hotel DIS Meet and Greet we had arranged. It was fun to meet each other ahead of being on the ship and a great time to exchange information about what we'd done all day since we still had another day in London before getting to the ship.

If schedules and plans work out I'm hoping we manage a DIS meet in Barcelona

Zachary plays trombone. Started at a summer band camp between 4th and 5th grade - loved it and still plays now in 8th. By the time we take this trip, he'll be between 9th and 10th grade so he'll have a season of marching band behind him. He's not excited about it, but he likes the other type of performances, and he's also in the jazz band at his middle school (first year they have it) and loves it. So he'll suffer through marching season to be able to do the concert band classes.
My DS was not crazy about marching band at first. It was alot of work which he was not used to. 8 hours of marching a day, 40 hours a week for the first 2 weeks and then 5 hours a day for the next 2 weeks. But the trips, the friendships, the being a part of something that big eventually won him over and it wound up being the best part of high school for him. It also gets easier every year once they get the marching down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGarden View Post
My best Paris tip is to dress in layers! Being from Texas, I had a really hard time with that concept, especially since we were in the middle of record heat. The weather outside was absolutely gorgeous, however indoors and in the Metro was a totally different story! Air conditioning seemend to be a foreign concept and there wasn't a fan any where to be found. So, I often wore a very light sweater and took it off inside where it was unbearably hot.

Also, I recommend staying in an American-branded hotel. For our ABD, we stayed at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe. Good air conditioning and ameneties! We added on three days after our adventure and rented an apartment near the Eiffel Tower. While I would totally do it again, it was a COMPLETELY different experience.

And the Eiffel Tower..... we had lunch actually in the tower. If I had it to do all over again, I'd skip it. Lunch was ok, however the elevator system to get you there and back down was absolutely awful. My husband is an avid photographer, and actually went up another level when I left to go shopping. He actually took the stairs down instead of getting back in the elevator. Besides, you can't see the tower if you're in it! (and be sure to save time to watch the tower sparkle at night! Truly magical.)

Hope that helps! If you need a car service, let me know. I still have the name and number of our driver that was recommended to us by ABD.
Which Eiffel Tower restuarant did you eat in? I had heard there were 3 of them. One a cafeteria, one a sit down restaurant (just ok) and one a gourmet, high priced restaurant. I was tentatively planning to have dinner at the Eiffel Tower on our first day there as my DH really wants to make it to the top level which he missed on his first trip. He doesn't want to spend the money on the gourmet restaurant (2nd floor one I think), so we were thinking the less expensive restaurant on the first floor for dinner and then take our time getting to the top afterwards

I have read mixed reviews about this restaurant (totally blanking on the names right now uggg). Some people love it and some don't. Most agree it is overpriced because of where it is. I'm thinking that if I go into it with realistic expectations we'll be fine. We've been up the Empire State Building a number of times and I am expecting the experience (crowds and such) would be similar
We're only in Paris for 3 days and then we are heading to the Normandy area. Actually planning to take the train to Caan and then rent a car to visit Mont St Michel and Bayeux.

I don't think we'll be using a car service (at least for this trip) but if you can pm me the name you have I can save it for emergencies or future trips
Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #141
MinnieGarden
Sweetie, let's focus on vacation..... step away from the techie stuff
Life would never been the same after the Podcast Cruise

Quote:

Which Eiffel Tower restuarant did you eat in? I had heard there were 3 of them. One a cafeteria, one a sit down restaurant (just ok) and one a gourmet, high priced restaurant. I was tentatively planning to have dinner at the Eiffel Tower on our first day there as my DH really wants to make it to the top level which he missed on his first trip. He doesn't want to spend the money on the gourmet restaurant (2nd floor one I think), so we were thinking the less expensive restaurant on the first floor for dinner and then take our time getting to the top afterwards

I have read mixed reviews about this restaurant (totally blanking on the names right now uggg). Some people love it and some don't. Most agree it is overpriced because of where it is. I'm thinking that if I go into it with realistic expectations we'll be fine. We've been up the Empire State Building a number of times and I am expecting the experience (crowds and such) would be similar
We're only in Paris for 3 days and then we are heading to the Normandy area. Actually planning to take the train to Caan and then rent a car to visit Mont St Michel and Bayeux.

I don't think we'll be using a car service (at least for this trip) but if you can pm me the name you have I can save it for emergencies or future trips
We ate in 58 Tour Eiffel. The meal was actually pretty good, although we had a pre-set menu for our group. My main issue was the elevators. We noticed a lot of "beware of pickpocket" signs all over Paris, and they were all over the Eiffel Tower too. They crammed sooooo many people into the elevators to go up and down that there was absolutely no personal space and you were literally crammed in like sardines. It would be against fire codes in the US. And the elevator follows the curve of the tower.

You have a great Parisian itinerary planned! :

MinnieGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #142
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

We were on the second Baltic that went to Helsinki. July 6th. We chose the Helsinki one because my 3rd cousin lives there so we were able to meet him, his wife and son for the day. It was one of my favorite days on the trip. They met us at the port, we took the shuttle into town and walked around a bit, getting acquainted (we had been infrequent email correspondents for a while), and then they took us to their favorite restaurant for lunch. I absolutely love when we have some time to assimilate into where we are - which is sometimes hard to do on a cruise schedule. And as I think I've mentioned, we mostly do excursions through the cruiseline because of the whole "they won't leave you behind" thing - although the more experience we get, the more willing we are to risk it on our own. I guess it really just depends on where we are and how far away from port we'll be. Plus it's sometimes just easier to do it through the cruiseline than try to arrange it on your own. I do enjoy having a walk-about in a port city that's right there. It's one of the things I thoroughly enjoyed about Alaska - both Skagway and Ketchikan were so easy to just walk-about.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #143
RMOTHERHUBBARD
Earning My Ears

6/27 Here we come

We will be on board, myself, DD (16 years old at time of cruise). Not sure on my DD (26) or grandson (8). She is not sure if she can take that much time off. My husband is terrified of water and will not go on a cruise. We have 4 addtional families (relatives) that maybe also coming. My relatives wanted to do a Baltec cruise. I am hoping that they will change their minds and do the med disney. I am so excited and can not wait. We are planning on flying into London and sight see for a day or 2. Take the train to Paris and sight see a day or 2. And then fly to Barcelona and spend 1-2 days sight seeing before the cruise. I promised my daughter Disney Europe cruise 3 years ago. We have been saving up for this trip of a lifetime I am glad Disney is back in Europe.
I love seeing everyone that will be on the cruise. It is going to be incredible.
RMOTHERHUBBARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #144
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGarden View Post
We ate in 58 Tour Eiffel. The meal was actually pretty good, although we had a pre-set menu for our group. My main issue was the elevators. We noticed a lot of "beware of pickpocket" signs all over Paris, and they were all over the Eiffel Tower too. They crammed sooooo many people into the elevators to go up and down that there was absolutely no personal space and you were literally crammed in like sardines. It would be against fire codes in the US. And the elevator follows the curve of the tower.

You have a great Parisian itinerary planned! :
Thanks
Not crazy about that elevator description at all
We have neck wallets that go under our shirts that we bought for our Baltic cruise so I'm guessing we'll be using those again

Quote:
We were on the second Baltic that went to Helsinki. July 6th. We chose the Helsinki one because my 3rd cousin lives there so we were able to meet him, his wife and son for the day. It was one of my favorite days on the trip. They met us at the port, we took the shuttle into town and walked around a bit, getting acquainted (we had been infrequent email correspondents for a while), and then they took us to their favorite restaurant for lunch. I absolutely love when we have some time to assimilate into where we are - which is sometimes hard to do on a cruise schedule. And as I think I've mentioned, we mostly do excursions through the cruiseline because of the whole "they won't leave you behind" thing - although the more experience we get, the more willing we are to risk it on our own. I guess it really just depends on where we are and how far away from port we'll be. Plus it's sometimes just easier to do it through the cruiseline than try to arrange it on your own. I do enjoy having a walk-about in a port city that's right there. It's one of the things I thoroughly enjoyed about Alaska - both Skagway and Ketchikan were so easy to just walk-about.
WOW, did you write a trip report for your Baltic cruise? I think I remember reading it
We were all anxious to hear how the earlier Baltic cruises were doing and I remember wishing I knew how to find family in Europe after reading someone's (yours?) trip report.

If the cruise excursions work for you then that's fine
I'm a product of the people that I've cruised with in the past as far as the DIY port planning. In the beginning I tagged along with some other families and then in the Baltic, when almost all my friends dropped out in the months before the cruise, I just found making my own plans to work better for us
I think certain ports, Venice and Dubrovnik can be done just walking around as they are close to where we dock. In fact I found a website for Dubrovnik where it looks like we might be there during their Medieval Fair The more I read about Dubrovnik the more bummed I am that we are only there for 6 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMOTHERHUBBARD View Post
We will be on board, myself, DD (16 years old at time of cruise). Not sure on my DD (26) or grandson (8). She is not sure if she can take that much time off. My husband is terrified of water and will not go on a cruise. We have 4 addtional families (relatives) that maybe also coming. My relatives wanted to do a Baltec cruise. I am hoping that they will change their minds and do the med disney. I am so excited and can not wait. We are planning on flying into London and sight see for a day or 2. Take the train to Paris and sight see a day or 2. And then fly to Barcelona and spend 1-2 days sight seeing before the cruise. I promised my daughter Disney Europe cruise 3 years ago. We have been saving up for this trip of a lifetime I am glad Disney is back in Europe.
I love seeing everyone that will be on the cruise. It is going to be incredible.
Welcome abaoard
My DH and I have been trying to get friends and family to cruise with us but no luck so far
My Mom is also terrified of the water and won't go near it either
We loved London when we went before our Baltic cruise in 2010
And going to see Paris this summer for the first time too
Really had no intention of cruising again after this summer, but then DCL announced Venice...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #145
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

http://www.dubrovnik-secrets.com/ds/...ievalfair.html

Cool website for Dubrovnik
Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #146
Angie_Ohio
Mouseketeer

Just checking in. I hope some of us check back with the cruise line on pricing every now and then.
When I booked our 2011 Med I discovered on this board that the price had gone down after we had booked the 10 night cruise. So... I changed to the 11 night, got an extra sea day and got money credited back to me.
Just sayin'
I have a RCCI booked for March but I'm thinking about the Med.! Funny isn't it.

Disney Magic: 2007, 2009 Eastern, 2011 Mediterranean, 2013 Mediterranean
Disney Wonder 2009
Disneyland 2008
WDW 1984 (Honeymoon) + many more
RCI Jewel of the Seas 2012
Angie_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #147
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie_Ohio View Post
Just checking in. I hope some of us check back with the cruise line on pricing every now and then.
When I booked our 2011 Med I discovered on this board that the price had gone down after we had booked the 10 night cruise. So... I changed to the 11 night, got an extra sea day and got money credited back to me.
Just sayin'
I have a RCCI booked for March but I'm thinking about the Med.! Funny isn't it.

Yes on our 2010 Med. cruise Disney ran a "kids sail free" deal after we booked and sure enough, Disney went back and changed our reservation to reflect the deal and lower the price. Still had the same room and just a cheaper price. Good deal.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #148
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

I'm check the prices all the time, not only because I hope they go down but also because I am curious to see how the cruise is selling.
Lifelong_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #149
JLSE50
DIS Veteran ** I am a post menopausal woman--my brain leaks. ** I'm allergic to idiots, I just decided.....

. We have to give DCL a big Hurrah because each cruise we have been on that had lowered prices due to any reason, our account was credited without us having to do a thing.
DL--6x; WDW x 26; Fort Wilderness - a lot; DVC Members since 2000; OKW x 7; DVC Vero Beach x 5; DVC Wilderness Villas x 2; DVC Hilton Head x 1; DVC Boardwalk x 2; DVC Beach Club x 1; DVC Saratoga Springs x 1; SS Tree House x 1; Bay Lake Towers x 2; DCL MAGIC x 8; DCL WONDER x 4; DCL DREAM x 3; DS#1 engaged to DG (Darling Girl) on the WONDER 9/4/06; WESTBOUND PANAMA CANAL 5/10/08 MAGIC; EASTERN CARIBBEAN FAMILY TRIP 9/12/09 MAGIC; TRANSATLANTIC 4/10/10 MAGIC; 5/15/11 DREAM; North to ALASKA 8/9/11 WONDER; FAMILY TRIP 10/30/11 DREAM; HAWAII 4/ 29/12 WONDER; DVC MEMBER CRUISE 9/16/12; 6/27/13 - MAGIC in the Med (Venice) 10/26/14 Eastern Caribbean Family Cruise - ON THE MAGIC AGAIN!
JLSE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #150
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

I'm a daily checker of our cruise - mostly because I am hoping that our cabin will open up on the June 15th one (we are in 6114 for that one, but 6116 for this one - it's our favorite cabin). So I check every day in case it opens up so I can call DVC to grab it for us. Otherwise we'll be moving cabins - yeah, it's only one over, but we really really want our beloved 6116! So as long as I'm over there, I check the price for this one. It's been steady for a 5C since the second day.

In other news, Air is available to book through DCL now. Because we're doing B2B and our DVC one is first, our TA is having to work with DCL to get them to put the air onto this reservation. They usually require it to be on the first one, but we don't want to do that because DVC would require that we pay the air now - certainly not going to do that - we'll watch airfare once it becomes available - and by booking through TA, we don't have to pay until final payment is due. At that point we'll know if we are sticking with DCL's air / price or if we can do better on our own (and will it be worth the hassle for us). Our TA is supposed to call them today so we should hopefully find out the air price tonight... I've been curious at what they'll set it at. If I had to guess, I'd say $1,400 - $1,600 per person - someone else may know already?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: