Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #16
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibahwewah View Post
Didn't see the teddy bear lady last week, but when we went to the lobby on Saturday evening to enjoy the music, there was a family with their Chik-Fil-A food all spread out across a coffee table right by the piano! So there they were, chewing their chicken nuggets and licking the french fry grease and ketchup off their fingers while a gentleman in a tuxedo was playing the grand piano only a few feet away! How supremely tacky!
So it wouldn't have been tacky if they were eating the chicken sandwiches and fries that Disney sells right around the corner?

Yeah, I see something tacky here, but it has nothing to do with what this family was eating.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
If you are staying at the Grand Floridian and she is in the lobby and you just happen to be there at the same time, is quite different than trying to plan to be there to see her.

As Deb said she is not an attraction.
I have yet to see a post on this thread or others where people who enjoy saying hi to her view or describe her as an attraction. My daughter and I always enjoy time in the lobby of the GF when we go over there to 1900 or when we go to visit our friends who often travel the same time we do and always stay at the GF. I have never seen people pestering her and again, she enjoys the company.

If she was being a bother or if hoardes of people flocking around her were being a bother, the GF staff would put a stop to this. Instead, they happily allow her to be there and tell guests about her a bit when they ask.

WDW has made this woman very happy over the years, to me she sort of signifies what its all about, which is enjoying the experience and sharing it with others.

Sometimes I think we all forget that in spite a huge number of posters, we are still a very small slice of the WDW pie. The vast majority of people who are in the GF lobby at any given time have no idea Lynn exists. Its easy to read threads and assume everyone else on the planet is aware of whatever we are posting about whichis hardly the case. Again, if she was being pestered for autographs and annoying guests, she'd be asked to leave. Or maybe would leave on her own to escape all the hoopla.

Most of the time she's just sitting there with a smile on her face surrounded by tourists doing their own thing and not noticing her.

Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
Jonell
DIS Veteran

I saw her for the first time during our January trip. I pointed her out to my family and told them her story. She was chatting with a CM when we saw her. She looked like a nice enough lady, but the teddy bears were kind of creepy.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
pinnocchiosdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Why not just leave the lady alone? She's not a Disney character.
Why not bring some happiness to an elderly woman who enjoys conversation with families. Grouch.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchiosdad View Post
Why not bring some happiness to an elderly woman who enjoys conversation with families. Grouch.
Didn't intend to come off like a grouch. But not like a stalker either.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #21
toodycat
DIS Veteran

We were there at the end of September/beginning of October and saw her in the lobby in the afternoon. I know who she is and can recognize her because of the DIS, but I've never approached her. That's not a judgement on folks who do' it is just my personality.
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #22
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Dan View Post
I have yet to see a post on this thread or others where people who enjoy saying hi to her view or describe her as an attraction. My daughter and I always enjoy time in the lobby of the GF when we go over there to 1900 or when we go to visit our friends who often travel the same time we do and always stay at the GF. I have never seen people pestering her and again, she enjoys the company.

If she was being a bother or if hoardes of people flocking around her were being a bother, the GF staff would put a stop to this. Instead, they happily allow her to be there and tell guests about her a bit when they ask.

WDW has made this woman very happy over the years, to me she sort of signifies what its all about, which is enjoying the experience and sharing it with others.

Sometimes I think we all forget that in spite a huge number of posters, we are still a very small slice of the WDW pie. The vast majority of people who are in the GF lobby at any given time have no idea Lynn exists. Its easy to read threads and assume everyone else on the planet is aware of whatever we are posting about whichis hardly the case. Again, if she was being pestered for autographs and annoying guests, she'd be asked to leave. Or maybe would leave on her own to escape all the hoopla.

Most of the time she's just sitting there with a smile on her face surrounded by tourists doing their own thing and not noticing her.
When you specifically post a thread about when is the best time to catch her in the lobby, in my opinion, it is a bit much.

It sounded much like when is the best time to ride Space Mt. hence my attraction comment.

If you are there as guest or dining and see her and talk to her is very different from intentionally going there to see "if" she is there.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
DisneyMim
DIS Veteran

She was there New Year's Day.
DisneyMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #24
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePrincess View Post
People make her sound like big foot. Any sightings??
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #25
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
When you specifically post a thread about when is the best time to catch her in the lobby, in my opinion, it is a bit much.

It sounded much like when is the best time to ride Space Mt. hence my attraction comment.

If you are there as guest or dining and see her and talk to her is very different from intentionally going there to see "if" she is there.
At the end of the day if you see her on chance or see her on purpose - who cares - you saw her...So the comment of not going if it is intentional makes no sense?
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
ShirikiUtundu
Mouseketeer

I'm very surprised that a hotel with that price range and reputation allows loitering.
ShirikiUtundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #27
toodycat
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't really say it is loitering. Lots of non-GF guests pass through the GF lobby. They could be dining or shopping or seeing the gingerbread house at Christmas. The lady visits to listen to the piano player. I don't consider her an attraction or a loiterer. To me, she looked like a person enjoying the music.
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #28
ShirikiUtundu
Mouseketeer

Hmm, based on what I've read here it sounds like the exact definition of loitering.
ShirikiUtundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
GJF323
Mouseketeer

Location: With the little Orange Bird up in the Sunshine Tree

It sounds to me that she would very much enjoy having someone visit with her. She's there for company, after all.

And when I'm older, I hope someone is kind and visits with "that guy with the Duffys" hanging around the food court of POFQ.
GJF323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #30
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirikiUtundu View Post
Hmm, based on what I've read here it sounds like the exact definition of loitering.
She's a valued past guest of the hotel, who continues to enjoy the resort's entertainment offerings with the blessing of the hotel's staff. That's hardly loitering.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: