Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #121
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
Mrs_Scooby - we are lucky that our boys WANT to be there; if they were not interested, I would be hard-pressed to spend the money on them for the trip. But they both love to travel and we've learned a lot in our traveling days about how to NOT over-do it, to build in some down time for them and for me to remember that it's their vacation too! We about over-did it on our first Med cruise and learned so much about traveling then that we've adjusted, so we're getting pretty good at it now.

We're leaning towards one of the apartments for the three days pre-cruise - just for the extra space before boarding for 24 nights in a small confined space. Thank goodness the boys both enjoy the youth programs so they will spend a lot of time out and about - and I'm happy for having the verandah for some extra room. Can't wait to sail on the Magic again!
See that is one thing I am looking forward to a bit is being able to plan our trip without worrying if the kids will like it. Mine have both traveled well-no real problems, but I always made sure that I included things they would like and at a pace they would be okay with. They are just at a point where being with their friends is more important to them My DD14 did say she would be "okay" with coming with us if we took the July cruise...but that date doesn't work for my DH and we'd rather she be a little more excited if we were going to change the date especially for her

We were debating if a verandah room was going to be worth the extra money for this cruise...but after looking at pics of Villefranche, Malta and Venice I am thinking I will be glad I can take it all in from my verandah while I get ready in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjackandcrew View Post
We'll be onboard too. This will be Disney Cruise #9 for us, us being myself, DH, DD (18) and DD (15). We did the Baltic Cruise in 2010. I must admit that I am quite jealous of you B2Bers! I find it hard to do a 7-night after some of our longer cruises. If I were to cruise for 24 nights I might never be able to go on a 7-night again. It's a great idea and definitely worth consideration. Well anyways, we're very excited!
Welcome aboard
That Baltic cruise in 2010 really spoiled us too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn View Post
I understand how you feel about not over-exhuasting yourselves. Last time we thought we may never be able to do this again, so we tried to see as much as possible. We hired private drivers in order to accomplish that goal and boy did we get our moneys (sp) worth. But by the end of the 12 days, I was so tired. This time I'm telling myself leisure, I hope I am listening.

I was over on the Trip Advisor forums looking at the threads for Paris trip planning and was surprised by how many people posted that they wished they hadn't tried to cram everything into their first visit. They wished they'd known that their first visit wouldn't be their only one.
So I scaled back our plans for our first Paris trip this summer based on this.
Some places it is harder to follow this than others though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn View Post
You know it just dawned on me that I am not listening all that well if I am researching and planning for this one already.
I find planning a trip to be fun...almost therapeutic
The trick is to not over-schedule your trip with things that can't be skipped. If you have a list of things you want to see that is one thing. But if you have reservations and tickets for things that you've invested money in then you'll be hard pressed to drop anything if you start to lose steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmm0724 View Post
I am Peggy (pmm0724) and will be traveling with my DD (Kmitchel) and DGS 11.

We are Platinum and were on the 2007 Med, as well as 2 WBPC and are doing Hawaii in May as well as NY in Aug., so seems like we have cruised with a lot of you before.

Has anyone set up a Facebook group yet? We find it easier to track individual conversations there.
Welcome aboard
We'll probably get a facebook page closer to cruise time as it is nice to see people's faces before you meet them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifelong_Dreamer View Post
So what port is everybody most excited for?

Right now I am really excited for Dubrovnik, Villefranche and Malta, probably because those are the places I have never been before. Dubrovnik looks absolutely charming! I wish we had a full day there instead of the afternoon arrival.
I think Venice is the one I'm the most excited about at this point. But sometimes it seems like it is whatever port I happen to be looking at at the time I agree Dubrovnik looks amazing

From what I read, Venice can be a DIY port. But they also have tons of local tour guides listed at Trip Advisor that have reasonable rates. Right now our plan is to take a one hour tour to get a general overview and then take off on our own. Probably have dinner in port the first day in Venice, a gondola ride at some point, and then up early the next morning to see the really popular sights before they get really crowded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseyebaby View Post
We're booked too! Glad to see so many familiar Dis friends. At time of the cruise:
me... Janie (49)
DH... Dave (49)
DS... Riley (20)
DD...Sierra (16)
Welcome aboard
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #122
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was over on the Trip Advisor forums looking at the threads for Paris trip planning and was surprised by how many people posted that they wished they hadn't tried to cram everything into their first visit. They wished they'd known that their first visit wouldn't be their only one.
So I scaled back our plans for our first Paris trip this summer based on this.
Some places it is harder to follow this than others though
I agree! We went to Paris for a couple night pre-cruise on our 2010 Med cruise. Unfortunately the weather was HORRIBLE! It rained every day and the high was only 60 in AUGUST!!! We did get to the highlights, but looking back I wish we had gone over separately, our first day was ruined by jet lag, we didn't wake up until after 1pm! With this being a 12 night cruise, I don't think we'll have time to go before or after to Paris, it would be nice though....... If we do anything it will be spend more time in Barcelona. We had one day pre-cruise in 2010 and one post. No where near enough time to see this beautiful city!!!
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #123
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Janie (Bullseyebaby), welcome to you and your family! Glad to have you with us.

So I finished reading the Barcelona section in the Rick Steves Mediterranean cruise book and have started reading the French Riviera section. I'm really looking forward to going back there. We did a morning bus tour of Nice - our tour guide was not the best but we did see a lot of the area and had a limited amount of free time. It looks like the area is easy enough to navigate yourself with reliable public transportation. But we'll probably end up doing a DCL excursion so Nathan doesn't fret about us missing the ship

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #124
Cliffside
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So what port is everybody most excited for?

Right now I am really excited for Dubrovnik, Villefranche and Malta, probably because those are the places I have never been before. Dubrovnik looks absolutely charming! I wish we had a full day there instead of the afternoon arrival.
Right now it is Venice. I have been wanting to go there since I backpacked through Europe after college and never made it there...I also like the idea of having an overnight in the city it just gives u that much more time to enjoy the city...

Having said that I am also looking forward to returning to the ports we did in the med in 2010....there was so much that we didn't get to do in each of those ports...and even in the ports where we rushed through to see everything it will be nice to pick certain things and do things at a more leisurely pace.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding where to stay per and post...it is going to b hard to decide how many days we can spend there...DD school does not end till the 26tg and I only want to pull her out for a day so we will b flying out on the 25th...so that really gives us the 26th to tour Barecelona before the cruise and of course we will be totally jet lagged...in 2010 we stayed on Las Ramblas at the hotel the royal Ramblas...we were pleased with the hotel...upon arrival in 2010 we took a tour of the city with people we met on the dis...the tour was good but I was so exhausted..it is hard because u want to get on local time and u probably can't get into your hotel room so i don't know what else people do...after the cruise we stayed at the renaissance by the airport and we spent the afternoon at the pool...I probably will want to spend that day touring this time..

Happy planning everyone!

Susan
January 2,2014 Disney Magic Bahamas
October 2013 BCV
June 27, 2013 Disney Magic in Med w/ Venice
March 2013 BLT
August 12, 2012 Disney Magic to Canada
March 31,2012 Maiden Voyage Disney Fantasy-Western
August 23, 2011 Disney Wonder -Alaska
April 17,2011 Disney Dream/AKL
August 18th 2010 Disney Magic in the Mediterranean
October 31st 2009 Disney Magic Western
August 2009 DL Grand Californian
February 2009 BCV
November 2008 Disney Magic Western
April 2008 BCV
November 2007 Disney Magic Western
April 2007 POFQ
April 2006 Disney Magic Eastern
April 2005 Land/Sea POFQ/Disney Wonder
April 2004 POFQ
Cliffside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #125
MinnieGarden
Sweetie, let's focus on vacation..... step away from the techie stuff
Life would never been the same after the Podcast Cruise

We are in! My husband Mike (k5jmh) and I are getting excited! My goal is to plan and enjoy our Podcast Cruise on the Dream in June and our ABD Backstage Magic trip in July before I get heavily into researching and planning this one....

We also did the ABD Knights and Lights this past September and visited London, Paris, and Disneyland Paris. So if anyone needs Paris or DL Paris tips, let me know!

Look forward to getting to know everyone!

MinnieGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #126
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffside View Post
There has been a lot of discussion regarding where to stay per and post...it is going to b hard to decide how many days we can spend there...DD school does not end till the 26tg and I only want to pull her out for a day so we will b flying out on the 25th...so that really gives us the 26th to tour Barecelona before the cruise and of course we will be totally jet lagged...
We are doing the cruise right before this one as well, so it sails June 15th which means we'll want to arrive in BCN on June 13th which means we'll fly on June 12th. The 2012-2013 school calendar just came out and the boys will get out of school on May 31st. We needed to go in the first part of summer because Zachary will be in the marching band and they start practice at the very beginning of August, so for us to be gone nearly a month, we have to do it earlier rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGarden View Post
We are in! My husband Mike (k5jmh) and I are getting excited! My goal is to plan and enjoy our Podcast Cruise on the Dream in June and our ABD Backstage Magic trip in July before I get heavily into researching and planning this one....
Christy, welcome to the group. With the addition of you and your DH, that brings us to about 32 DISer families if I've counted right!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #127
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are doing the cruise right before this one as well, so it sails June 15th which means we'll want to arrive in BCN on June 13th which means we'll fly on June 12th. The 2012-2013 school calendar just came out and the boys will get out of school on May 31st. We needed to go in the first part of summer because Zachary will be in the marching band and they start practice at the very beginning of August, so for us to be gone nearly a month, we have to do it earlier rather than later.
Our 12-13 school calendar isn't out yet, but I'm hoping there won't be any conflicts. We usually get out the 3rd week of June and I can't imagine it going any later than the 21st. We will see though. DD will be a freshman that year in HS, so those last days are REALLY important, since that's finals. I'm sure if something happens, we will be able to make alternate arrangements for her, but I'm hoping to avoid that.

In the end, we'll probably also be flying in on the 25th like Susan.......
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
Old 02-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #128
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
Our 12-13 school calendar isn't out yet, but I'm hoping there won't be any conflicts. We usually get out the 3rd week of June and I can't imagine it going any later than the 21st. We will see though. DD will be a freshman that year in HS, so those last days are REALLY important, since that's finals. I'm sure if something happens, we will be able to make alternate arrangements for her, but I'm hoping to avoid that.

In the end, we'll probably also be flying in on the 25th like Susan.......
Sometimes in high school they are allowed to exempt exams - especially in the year long classes - at our school, depending on your grades, you can exempt first semester and then you have to take the exam second semester. But if you take the exam anyway and are eligible to exempt again, then you don't have to take the exam 2nd semester. Also electives don't always require exams, so depending on grades and attendance, you can exempt from exams for those classes, too. Might be worth checking on what your high school's exam policies are to have an idea so if you're running really close, y'all can make good decisions at the end of the first semester to shore the bets for second

Old 02-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #129
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sometimes in high school they are allowed to exempt exams - especially in the year long classes - at our school, depending on your grades, you can exempt first semester and then you have to take the exam second semester. But if you take the exam anyway and are eligible to exempt again, then you don't have to take the exam 2nd semester. Also electives don't always require exams, so depending on grades and attendance, you can exempt from exams for those classes, too. Might be worth checking on what your high school's exam policies are to have an idea so if you're running really close, y'all can make good decisions at the end of the first semester to shore the bets for second
I wish that was the case here, but it's not. Exams are most definitely not option regardless of your grades. My DD is a straight A student and exams are always mandatory here.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #130
booger73
Stayed at a Holiday Inn last night...

Booked

Booked!

Me, DW, DS (to be 12), DS (to be 9)..

Thinking about doing the ABD when it's available.. just so I don't have to plan anything.. Anyone on the previous ABD-Med have any thoughts?
We have been: AKV 8/08, BLT 12/09, BWV (8/06 8/07 8/09 6/10 7/12), Grand Calif 6/07, SSR 12/06, VGF 12/13 DCL Wonder (8/08 8/09 6/10 and Alaska 7/11), DCL Magic (Eastern 1/11 and 12d Med 6/13), DCL Dream 5d 6/12
Upcoming: DCL Magic 11d Norway/Iceland 6/15

booger73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #131
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger73 View Post
Booked!

Thinking about doing the ABD when it's available.. just so I don't have to plan anything.. Anyone on the previous ABD-Med have any thoughts?
VERY EXPENSIVE!!!! In 2010 it was like 2500pp to book ABD add on. IMO the excursions they booked STUNK. They all were available to be booked separable, you just didn't have ABD guide, just a local one. Yes they got all their photos but still not worth 10k for my family of 4. God only knows how much it will be for 2013, I can't even imagine based in his much they increased suite pricing from 2010 to 2013 which was basically double!!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #132
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

DH (Mike) for Christy is K5JMH
Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #133
Lifelong_Dreamer
DIS Veteran

Question for those who have had an overnight port on a previous cruise, how late can you stay off the ship? Are you able to wander back at any time of the night that you want or is there a cut off where they close the ship doors for the night?
Lifelong_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #134
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Booked!

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
Hi Mike... glad to have you with us.

Quote:
Question for those who have had an overnight port on a previous cruise, how late can you stay off the ship? Are you able to wander back at any time of the night that you want or is there a cut off where they close the ship doors for the night?

We overnighted in St. Petersburg, Russia. I don't remember there being a "curfew" for the overnight, but I do know excursions were coming back really late. But Russia is different than Venice will be - pretty much you couldn't be off the ship in Russia unless you were on an excursion or private tour. But in Venice, I would guess that as long as you're back onboard before the ship sails the next afternoon, then you're good!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #135
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree! We went to Paris for a couple night pre-cruise on our 2010 Med cruise. Unfortunately the weather was HORRIBLE! It rained every day and the high was only 60 in AUGUST!!! We did get to the highlights, but looking back I wish we had gone over separately, our first day was ruined by jet lag, we didn't wake up until after 1pm! With this being a 12 night cruise, I don't think we'll have time to go before or after to Paris, it would be nice though....... If we do anything it will be spend more time in Barcelona. We had one day pre-cruise in 2010 and one post. No where near enough time to see this beautiful city!!!
60 degrees in august
We're going in July...I intended to pack light, take a sweater, but I'd be one sad, shivering american if it got as low as 60. What did you do?? I bet the nearest gift shop sold alot of sweat shirts that day

Quote:
So I finished reading the Barcelona section in the Rick Steves Mediterranean cruise book and have started reading the French Riviera section. I'm really looking forward to going back there. We did a morning bus tour of Nice - our tour guide was not the best but we did see a lot of the area and had a limited amount of free time. It looks like the area is easy enough to navigate yourself with reliable public transportation. But we'll probably end up doing a DCL excursion so Nathan doesn't fret about us missing the ship
I think my DH was saying he wanted to visit Nice
He went on a trip to France when he was 14 and wants to revisit a couple places he went to before.

As for missing the ship, I decided I'm not going to worry overly much about it. We'll take our passports with us and make every effort not to cut it close and be back to the ship in plenty of time...but I am so not going to be that couple running down the pier while the crowd looks on...
If we have to meet the ship in the next port I'll deal with it

I don't think we need visas in any of these ports, do we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffside View Post
There has been a lot of discussion regarding where to stay per and post...it is going to b hard to decide how many days we can spend there...DD school does not end till the 26tg and I only want to pull her out for a day so we will b flying out on the 25th...so that really gives us the 26th to tour Barecelona before the cruise and of course we will be totally jet lagged...in 2010 we stayed on Las Ramblas at the hotel the royal Ramblas...we were pleased with the hotel...upon arrival in 2010 we took a tour of the city with people we met on the dis...the tour was good but I was so exhausted..it is hard because u want to get on local time and u probably can't get into your hotel room so i don't know what else people do...after the cruise we stayed at the renaissance by the airport and we spent the afternoon at the pool...I probably will want to spend that day touring this time..

Happy planning everyone!

Susan
For getting on London time I followed a fellow Diser's advice. She said to have something fun but not strenuous planned for the day we arrive and it should help us stay up. Now I don't know if we just got lucky, maybe had a low sleep debt prior to the cruise or slept more on the plane than I thought we did, but we had alot of fun our first day in London. Arrived in the morning, took the river cruise and the London Eye and then met Disers for dinner and went to bed between 10-11 Hoping we have the same experience this summer when we go to Paris and next summer on this cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGarden View Post

We also did the ABD Knights and Lights this past September and visited London, Paris, and Disneyland Paris. So if anyone needs Paris or DL Paris tips, let me know!

Look forward to getting to know everyone!
Welcome aboard
Love your Paris photo in your signature
While I have most of our Paris trip planned for this summer I could certainly use any advice as it is my first visit

Quote:
My DS, Andrew was in marching band in HS. Never saw him work so hard, especially the month of August, but he loved it. Now my DD, Kelly, usually does rock band camp in August so even though my DS is a HS senior, we still don't travel in August if we can help it
My DS plays clarinet and my DD guitar.
What instrument does your DS play?

Quote:
I wish that was the case here, but it's not. Exams are most definitely not option regardless of your grades. My DD is a straight A student and exams are always mandatory here.
Funny how the school districts are all different all over the country.
I don't recall ours ever scheduling exams for the last couple days of school I think they usually set those days aside for make-up work. But my kids would hate to miss them because that is when the class parties are

Quote:
Booked!

Welcome aboard
Haven't done an ABD yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
Welcome aboard
My DH is "Nick Charles", but he mostly lurks

Quote:
We stayed overnight in St Petersburg and I think you could stay out all night if you wanted I know some people had night tours scheduled and I don't recall anyone saying they had a curfew
But St Petersburg was different as there were visa requirements. You couldn't go off the ship unless the tour you booked included a temporary visa.
No idea what will happen with Venice

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: