Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
laur roo
Mouseketeer

One Veggie and One Not Eat The Whole World....Showcase, That Is! *UPDATE 6/4*

Hi There!!!

Welcome to my first ever Dining Review! Thanks for choosing to relive our experience with us, I promise pictures of pretty much everything we ate, and then some!

I'm calling this review "One Veggie and One Not Eat the Whole World...Showcase, That Is!". It was one of my goals to eat or drink something from every World Showcase Country on this trip! Did we do it? I guess you'll have to stay tuned to find out. But trust me, we ate a lot of other great places too!

So who was eating on this trip? Well it was me, Lauren, and my vegetarian mom. Here we are on our trip meeting the mouses themselves:

Our trip was from January 21st-February 1st 2012. We were not on a dining plan this time around. Usually we ate breakfast in our room, so if nothing is listed for breakfast we had fruit that we bought or granola bars or protein drinks. We had at least one table service meal each day (except the first day which was our travel day) and we ate some interesting meals! Here's the rundown of where we ate, and I'll use these as links once I have the reviews for each one posted!

January 21st:
Subway at CAK Airport
Riverside Mill for Dinner

January 22nd
Sanaa for Lunch
Columbia Harbour House for Dinner
Sleepy Hollow and Auntie Gravity for Snacks

January 23rd
Liberty Tree Tavern for Lunch
La Cantina de San Angel for Dinner

January 24th
Riverside Mill for Breakfast
Cafe Rix and Sunshine Seasons for Lunch
Nine Dragons for Dinner

January 25th
Le Cellier for Lunch
T-Rex for Dinner
Pollo Campero and BabyCakes for Dinner

January 26th
Boulangerie Patisserie and Tangierine Cafe for Lunch
Fife and Drum Tavern for Snacks
50's Primetime Cafe for Dinner

January 27th
Beaches and Cream for Lunch
The Wave for Dinner
Sunshine Seasons for Snacks

January 28th
Tony's Town Square for Lunch
Liberty Inn for Dinner
Fife and Drum Tavern and Kringla Bakeri Og Cafe for Snacks

January 29th
Garden View Tea Room for Tea/Lunch
Sommerfest and Rose & Crown Pub for Snacks
Columbia Harbour House and Cosmic Rays Cafe for Dinner
Aloha Isle for Snacks

January 30th
Pizzafari and Flame Tree Barbecue for Lunch
Espresso, Coffee and Pastry for Snacks
Teppan Edo for Dinner

January 31st
Starring Rolls for Breakfast
Pizza Planet for Lunch
Oasis Canteen for Snacks
Via Napoli for Dinner

February 1st
Cape May Cafe for Breakfast, Part One
Cape May Cafe for Breakfast, Part Two

Hopefully I'll have the first few posts up soon, once I sort through all our photos from the trip and get all the yummy food pics uploaded. Feel free to say hi in the meantime and ask any questions you might have! I know reading veggie dining reviews on here in the past helped me plan for trips with my mom, so I hope these reviews help others out too!

But until I get the photos ready, go pop yourself some popcorn and check back later!

July 1990: Off Site July 1992: Caribbean Beach July 1994: Dixie Landings July 1996: Dixie Landings July/Aug 2000: Treehouse Villas
June 2007: All Star Music Dec 2008: French Quarter Dec 2009: Yacht Club Dec 2010: French Quarter Jan/Feb 2012: Riverside & Beach Club

My PTR: 9 trips out of 10 - A quick 3.5 day PTR - Jan 2012
My Dining Review: One Veggie and One Not Eat the Whole World...Showcase That Is!
My TR: We Walked How Many Steps Between The Festival And The Fiesta? A Jan '12 TR!

Last edited by laur roo; 06-04-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: links
laur roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

I'm here and looking forward to reading your report.

That is a lot of Disney days!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Hello!
We are flying out of CAK on Tuesday
Looking forward to reading some fellow buckeye reviews!!!!
Glad you had a good trip!!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Signing on!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

I'm in!

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
laur roo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
I'm here and looking forward to reading your report.

That is a lot of Disney days!
Welcome! And yes, we did a lot of Disney days, but we weren't sure when we could get back to the World together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rznhal View Post
Hello!
We are flying out of CAK on Tuesday
Looking forward to reading some fellow buckeye reviews!!!!
Glad you had a good trip!!
Don't you just love how small and easy flying out of CAK is? Hope all goes well for your trip! Even though I was just there, I'm jealous you're going now, lol! I always want to go back to the World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Signing on!
Hooray! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
I'm in!
Awesome, I hope you enjoy the upcoming reviews!!

I should have the first day's posts up tomorrow night, I just started back up to work today, so it was a bit of a shock after being off since mid November! Gotta get back in work mode, but I still want to start reporting on all my fun!!! Thanks for joining in everyone!

July 1990: Off Site July 1992: Caribbean Beach July 1994: Dixie Landings July 1996: Dixie Landings July/Aug 2000: Treehouse Villas
June 2007: All Star Music Dec 2008: French Quarter Dec 2009: Yacht Club Dec 2010: French Quarter Jan/Feb 2012: Riverside & Beach Club

My Dining Review: One Veggie and One Not Eat the Whole World...Showcase That Is!
My TR: We Walked How Many Steps Between The Festival And The Fiesta? A Jan '12 TR!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
laur roo
Mouseketeer

CAK Airport

So the 21st was our travel day. We got to the CAK airport with plenty of time to spare. It's such a small airport with only like 12 gates so I knew the line for security would be non existant. So we hung out in the area outside of security to have some lunch before our flight. There's not much to choose from, but a pizza from Subway sounded good! I didn't know they even made pizzas, but they do. It's nothing fancy, they have a premade personal pizza and you can add toppings and more cheese and they bake it for you. I got mine with pepperoni and green peppers. Mom also got a pizza, hers had tomatoes, spinach, and green peppers. We also shared a sprite. Each of us ate half our pizza when we got it and the other half on the plane since it was pretty filling. I know I'm like, writing a novel about Subway pizza, but it's my only non-Disney food entry, and it actually was good!

Here's what the pizza itself looked like:

And a picture of CAK:

I don't remember that nice colored glass being up when I flew out of there last February, so I'm guessing that was added in the last year. It was nice too look at and hid the security area a little bit.

That's all for this update, and now onto some DISNEY FOOD!!!!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
laur roo
Mouseketeer

Riverside Mill

When we got to Port Orleans Riverside, we went straight to check in. We had to wait in a small line despite it being after 9:00pm. We got our room assignment, 2nd floor in Magnolia Terrace. Since we had all our luggage with us, we went ahead to the room first and checked out the room (a refurbished room, hooray!) and dropped off our bags.

Then we headed right back to Riverside Mill to get some dinner. By this time it was after 10, so the one station was closed for the night. The grill was open, as was the pizza and pasta stations. I wasn't super hungry, so I opted for the kid's mac and cheese meal. Well, I decided on that after I picked up a Mickey rice crispy treat, because I had to have that!!! Got to have me my Mickey crispy! So I ended up with that and mac and cheese with carrots, grapes, and an apple juice. I also went ahead and bought a refillable mug since I knew I would use it a lot. Mom and I both picked out the blue mug, but we never had trouble remembering which mug belonged to who.

Mom did a create your own pasta. You can pick between three kinds of pasta and three sauces: marinara, alfredo, or pesto. Then you add what kinds of meat and/or veggies you want. I don't remember everything she got on it, but she had penne with marinara and peas and a lot of other veggies. You can watch them make it which is cool too! It was served with bread also.

One weird thing that happened was when we checked out, the cashier told mom that she got a drink with her meal. So mom asked what kind of drink and the lady was listing off what we could see over in the cooler. Mom went and got a soymilk and we paid and sat down. When we looked at the receipt, the cashier had charged us for the soymilk. I didn't get why she would say it came with a drink when it didn't. Mom decided to keep the soymilk for breakfast, but I just thought it was strange.

My spread:

Mom's food:

Another close up of Mom's:

And me enjoying my mac and cheese!

The pastas were hot and fresh, and there was plenty of mac and cheese for it being a kid's meal. I liked that I got carrots and grapes too. Mom's portion was huge, it would have been enough to share for sure! I devoured my Mickey crispy before we left, mom said she thought I was gonna save it for later, like I could wait for a yummy treat like that! Overall, we both enjoyed our food at Riverside Mill, and it was a good first night dinner!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
MelMel11
Mouseketeer

Count me in!!!
MelMel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
KristinAnne
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Looks like great places!

KristinAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

Subbing!

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
laur roo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel11 View Post
Count me in!!!
Glad you're along for the ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinAnne View Post
I'm in! Looks like great places!
Welcome! I feel like we had some really great dining this time around, can't wait to get around to talking about some of the yummy meals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs View Post
Subbing!
Hooray! Glad you're here to read my reviews!

Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

That pizza looks really good! I don't think I've ever seen pizza at my local subway. What airport is that in?

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

some great places to write about. Can't wait for the rest as I really enjoyed the first two.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: