Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Fred and Wilma - They're Back and They're Child Free (Day 4 - Universal)

Sunday 29th August

Today was our last day (and night) at Royal Pacific Resort. First, we were going back to Universal to ride Rip Ride Rockit a few more times.

Having been up since 7, I was ready first – no shocks there – so took the opportunity to phone the girls while Gary was in the shower. All was well at home and the girls had been spoilt rotten by my Dad and Ivy (step-Mum) so they were happy.

We caught the water taxi to Universal. Once we were through the gates, we made our way to RRR. I chose a different song this time – Bring Me To Life by Evanescence. After our third go, we decided to buy the video as a memento. We bought a package costing $42.55, which included a video, photo and some extra footage of the ride. It was actually really good and you can choose what music you want for your video. We had to choose the music from my ride as I had been singing my heart out all the way round

A couple of pics of RRR

We had breakfast at Beverley Hills Boulangerie, a cherry turnover, apple Danish and diet coke.

We took a slow wander around the park, taking photos along the way.

Next, it was onto Men In Black, where Gary got his revenge by scoring 477,000 and completely wiping the floor with me. He swears blind he got more than 500,000 on the second go but that score is still very much in dispute!

Since we had used the free lockers, been on and off in less than 10 minutes and the standby time was showing at 20 minutes, we figured we had time for a second ride (the lockers are usually only free for the same amount of time as the current wait time for the ride). Unfortunately, when we came off the ride after our second go, the wait time had gone down to 10 minutes so, when we went to open the locker, we had to pay. It wouldn’t take the $5 that Gary had (luckily in his ticket lanyard around his neck, since all the rest of our stuff was in the locker) so I found a locker attendant. She was clearly not having a good day and was the rudest, most arrogant member of staff I have ever come across in any of the parks. She asked how many times we’d been on the ride and, when I told her we’d been on twice, she started having a go at me, saying the lockers were only free while you rode once. I tried to explain that I knew that and we didn’t have a problem with paying but it wouldn’t take our money. She then told us we would have to wait our turn while she dealt with all the rest of ‘these people’. Eventually, she came over to where we were waiting (after at least 10 minutes) and proceeded to snatch the $5 bill out of Gary’s hand. Lo and behold, the machine wouldn’t take it. She was pretty determined, though, and tried several times, turning it this way and that. Eventually, she had to admit defeat and open the locker for us – and, boy, could you tell she did NOT like to do that. The look she gave us as she departed was pure poison. Gary and I dragged our stuff out of the locker and had a good laugh about it, agreeing that neither of us would like to be working in this heat.

Feeling in need of refreshment, we stopped in the Amity area for a drink and decided to share a funnel cake. Gary’s not a big fan so I got the lion’s share

From there, we went over to Revenge of the Mummy and rode twice, with our bags in a free locker for the whole time – gasp! Whilst we were on the ride for the second time, it must have started raining and when we came out of the shop it was absolutely torrential. We had no choice but to brave it since our free time was nearly up on the locker. People were taking shelter wherever they could. The pavement was really slippery and, as we ran towards the lockers, I nearly slipped over. Once we’d retrieved our stuff, we started to walk away and noticed a lady sprawled on the floor with a crowd of people round her. Somebody was shouting to dial 911. I suspect, from the conversation that was going on, that she had been a victim of the slippery floor.

Since the rain was showing no signs of letting up, we decided to leave the park. I wanted to go to Islands of Adventure and ride One Fish, Two Fish but Gary talked me out of it and, instead, we made our way back to the hotel.

Typically, by the time we got back, the sun was trying to break through the clouds so we decided to pop down to the pool.

Since it was still really overcast, we didn’t bother to reapply sun cream – big mistake! At the pool, it started to warm up a bit so we got an ice-cream each from the shop. I bought a Ben and Jerry’s half-baked lolly and a Twix ice-cream. I gave Gary a choice and he chose the B&J. Initially, I was not happy but, as it turned out, the Twix one was lovely (much nicer than the ones we get here).

We swam for a bit and then the sun came out so we ordered a couple of drinks.

A Pacific Paradise for me

And a Heineken for Gary

We sunbathed for a while and I read some more of my book.

We got chatting to a lady sitting next to us, ordered a couple more drinks and some chicken strips to share. These were from the kids’ menu but there was plenty for the two of us and we didn’t even manage to finish them.

Eventually, I realised that I had started to catch the sun a bit so suggested to Gary that we should head back to the room. We settled the bar bill, which was $32.67 including the chicken strips so they must have not charged us for a couple of drinks

By the time we got up to the room, my knees were bright pink (presumably from how I had been sat on the lounger) and burning so I had a cool bath to try and help. We had some Aloe gel which we had bought on a previous trip, when Gary got sunburnt feet so I applied some of that but they were getting worse and worse (and by now the rest of me was a nice shade of lobster also). I tried to doze for a bit but Gary woke me up and said that I should try and drink plenty of water. While I sat on the bed, sipping water, Gary started the packing.

We decided that it probably wasn’t a good idea to go to Manny’s tonight as it appeared that I had a touch of heat stroke. Gary was hungry, though, so we drove down to Chili’s on I-Drive.

We had cheese sticks to start, which was really just a test to see if my stomach could handle food.

It seemed OK so we ordered mains. Shiner Bock Burger for Gary, which he really enjoyed. He doesn’t tend to order burgers very often but he said this one was really delicious.

I had the chicken crispers but really didn’t have much of an appetite when they arrived so most of it went untouched.

Gary ordered a molten chocolate cake for us to share but I couldn’t even summon up the will to try some. He ate half and then gave up himself.

The check was a pretty reasonable $42 inc tip. We normally love Chili’s but neither of us was really feeling it tonight – I think we were both suffering from the after-effects of too much sun.

It was dark when we got back to the hotel and I snapped this picture of the entrance, thinking how lovely and welcoming it looked all lit up.

Back in the room, I was feeling decidedly worse so I went to bed while Gary did some more packing and watched a bit of TV. Tomorrow we’re off to St Augustine.
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

Poor you, hope the burn went away quickly. Am really impressed with how many times you rode that coaster.

Tina
Jets fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

Bring me to life by Evanescence is one of my fave songs ever! Good choice so cool you got a video of the ride.

Reading your TR makes me hungry. All the food looks so good.

Love the update x
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

that's a rookie mistake I wouldn't expect you to make Joh, I'm normally the numpty that doesn't apply the sun block. Still another good day though.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Tammy Stringer
I love babies - all milky and baby powdery
Do you knit, Barbara?
Up for the marquee option

Wow - you two certainly know how to make the most of a holiday - loads of rides, lots of yummy food and drink - kudos to you both.

Shame about too much sun and not enjoying all the lovely food, hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Tam
Tammy Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

yuck heat stroke, I knew something was coming as the first 3 days were so perfect.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
loobzuk
DIS Veteran

hope you soon recovered from the effects of the sun, it's amazing how quickly the weather can change and how quickly you can burn without realising it until the damage is well and truly done.

Love funnel cake - I tried it for the first time after hearing people on the DIS talking about it. It's now my guilty pleasure!
loobzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
runskyhy
It's not less monkey, it's Moe Monkey!

Loving the TR so far (esp. the food pics of course!)

Although, it reminds me I need to finish mine from our October trip.

Can't wait to read about St. Augustine...

RC Oasis, Western Caribbean 03/2014
Disney Fantasy, Western Caribbean 05/2012, 10/2013
Disney Dream, Bahamas 03/2011, 07/2011 , 07/2013
Disney Wonder, Bahamas 03/2006, 03/2009, 10/2009, 02/2013
Caribbean Princess, NE & Canada 10/2012

Disney Magic, Eastern Caribbean 10/2011
Coral Princess, Southbound Inside Passage 06/2010
Carnival Ecstasy, Key West & Cozumel 03/1995
WDW, FL 05/1992, 02/2010, 09/2010, 02/2013
West CA 01/2010, NV 4/2012, AZ 3/2013
runskyhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Eek Joh, sorry about the heat stroke
Looks like another great day apart from that though
We LOVE Rip Ride Rockit! Such a great ride; I bet your video is hysterical!!
Linda67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Hope you're feeling better after a good night's sleep
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
strawberry blonde
DIS Veteran

The boys got burnt last time we went in the February. Tried to get them to put more cream on but they decided they didn't need it. Being teenagers they knew best until the evening when the shower was unbearable.

Another great day. We love Chillis especially buy one drink, get one free
strawberry blonde is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: