Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Fred and Wilma - They're Back and They're Child Free (Day 2 - Universal & IOA)

Friday 27th August 2010

Firstly, an apology. Unfortunately, I forgot to take our camera charger on holiday with us so my camera battery died early this morning and we had no method of charging it. Clearly, we couldn’t spend the rest of the holiday not taking photographs so we had to rectify it (which we did later today), however I don’t have many photos from today, I’m afraid.

Thanks to a busy day yesterday and plenty of alcohol last night, I slept straight through until 6am, a veritable miracle for me.

As Gary was still sleeping and we were in no rush this morning, I got dressed and wandered down to the lobby, where I left a message at reception for my friend, Margaret, who was arriving today.

I got an OJ and croissant in the Orchid Lounge, where they serve continental breakfast items and tea/coffee from 6am, and sat to enjoy my breakfast and read some of my book.

Here are some bonus pictures of the hotel (taken during our stay) to make up for the lack of other photos. Normal service will be resumed in the next episode.

Hotel lobby

The entrance to Tower 1

Jake's Bar

Islands Dining Room

Fountain area at the back of the lobby

Tower 1 from outside

At 7.30 I went back to the room and woke Gary. We showered, dressed and wandered down to the boat dock around 8.45 to catch a water taxi.

Our plan for today was to visit Universal, then head off to do a bit of shopping.

At the gate, we were held up by a man in front of us who was clearly trying to use someone else’s ticket (he admitted it wasn’t his) and kicking up a fuss. Sensing it was going to take some time, we decided to use a different turnstile (not before waiting a little while to enjoy the entertainment though ).

Once through the gate, we went straight to Rip Ride Rockit and rode twice with no wait. I was mortified when, on the second time round, I had a major wardrobe malfunction while the coaster was upside down (embarrassed smiley). Gary wanted to watch the video to see if it was shown but I wouldn’t let him.

Just as we were exiting the ride, a man stopped us and asked if we’d been at Velvet Sessions the night before. Turns out we were stood next to him and he recognised us. He was just about to buy the video from his ride and I prayed that he hadn’t been sat sat anywhere near us

From RRR, it was on to the Mummy and, again, we rode twice with no wait. After a quick breakfast for Gary at the San Francisco pastry company – apple Danish and a diet coke – it was on to Jaws. We didn’t know this at the time but this was to be our last ever experience of the Jaws ride as they have since removed it

Carrying on around the park, we rode MIB twice and I whooped Gary’s butt both times. Apparently, the second time, I just ‘got lucky’. Whatever!

As we’d done everything we wanted to for now and it was getting really hot again, we decided to skip over to Islands of Adventure. Don’t worry, we didn’t literally skip – that would have been strange and highly embarrassing and I had already done a good enough job of showing myself up for one day.

I really liked the fact that the FOTL (that isn’t really but is actually) was allowing us to do our favourites at each park and just ‘hop’ from park to park. Without it, we would never even think of trying to do the two Universal parks in one day.

In IOA, we rode Dudley Do-Right and Jurassic Park River Adventure. Once we were nice and wet, we took a couple of trips up on Dr Doom for a bit of a blow-dry.

We left IOA and wandered through CityWalk, deciding to have lunch at the BK Whopper Bar. Gary had a Pepper Bacon XT - not sure what the XT stands for? Xtra Thick? Xtra Tasty? I had a chicken tendercrisp. It was pretty expensive for Burger King, I thought, but very yummy all the same.

After lunch, we caught the water taxi back to the hotel. There was a family on the boat with a young girl (about 3) who was having the absolute screaming ab-dabs. Seriously, everybody on the boat was muttering to each other and I had one of my ‘thank goodness it’s no me and my kid for a change’ moments. A lady next to Gary nudged him and said ‘There’s an advert for birth control if ever I saw one’.

By the time we got back to the hotel, I had a raging headache so I took a couple of Tylenol. We got changed into our swimming stuff and went down to the pool again.

As my headache didn’t appear to be dissipating, I decided to try the ‘kill or cure’ method – a cocktail. They were running a special where you could get a double-size cocktail for only 50% extra of the price, if that makes sense. So, essentially, four cocktails for the price of 3 (I think)

We decided to have a couple of Royal Rip Tides – and then, when we saw the bill for $40.21 (inc 18% gratuity), we decided to make them last an awfully long time

It was getting gradually more overcast and, around 3.30, it started to rain so it seemed as good a time as any for an afternoon nap. I have to say that, although I’m very
fond of an afternoon nap at home, I don’t like to do it on holiday as I always feel like there are better things I could be doing. However, we really were getting the best of both worlds – we were managing to do what we wanted in the parks in the morning, having a couple of hours of pool time and still had time for a snooze. As it was, I read while Gary napped and, a couple of hours later, we were ready to shop.

After quick showers and a change of clothes, we drove down to Premium Outlets where we bought some trainers for Daniel. Although we wandered around and went into every single beauty/perfume shop, I still didn’t manage to get my perfume. A lot of people we asked said they thought it had been discontinued and I began to think I would probably never get it.

By now, we were a tad peckish and decided to try Bob Evans, recommended to us by our friends Tony and Theresa. We located the nearest one, on the 192, and were soon seated in a little booth.

There was so much choice on the menu, we couldn’t decide what to have but decided to start with some apple pie fries and cheddar bites.

Gary ordered the pot roast sandwich for his main and I decided to have the special, Memphis spice chicken.

The food was lovely but Tony was right – the apple pie fries were too sweet for an appetiser and would have made a better dessert. Gary thought the pot roast sandwich was too cheesy but he doesn’t like melted cheese so it probably wasn’t

After we’d paid the check ($38.57 inc tip), we decided to drive just a bit further down the 192 to the camera shop where Natalie bought a new camera the previous year (after she sat on it at Busch Gardens). As luck would have it, he had a universal charger which my camera battery fit perfectly into so that little problem was solved. We happily parted with the best part of $40 in cash and took the charger out to the car. Handily, it had an in-car charger lead too so we put the battery on to charge straight away.

Next, it was time for this evening's mission - 'Mission Dooney and Bourke’. I had fallen in love with the Disney D&B bags after seeing them on the DIS and decided I had to have one. I had set aside some money, before the holiday, specifically to buy the bag and Natalie had given me some money towards it for my Birthday too, so I was so excited now the time had come.

We drove to Downtown Disney and went straight into Tren-D, where I chose THE bag. It did take a bit of time, trying to decide between the smaller and larger of the two I liked and checking the placements on them, however I eventually settled on this one:

I loved it and the girl behind the counter assured me I’d made a great choice. Gary just stood to the side, shaking his head and muttering ‘It’s just a bag’. The girl gave me a sympathetic look and said ‘Guys just don’t get it, do they?’ [rotfl]

Once I had handed over my credit card and signed my life away, the bag was mine. We popped into Guest Relations to check the remaining days on our tickets and then decided to have a celebratory sundae at Ghirardelli. This proved to be a great choice as the heavens opened literally the second we walked through the door. We quickly ordered – Mint Bliss, no cream for me and Gold Rush for Gary – and tried to find seats. Of course, because of the rain, the place was rammed. As I was looking around, I spotted a lady sat at a table with 3 seats waving me over. There was a gentleman sat at the table too. I went over and she said I was more than welcome to join them. When I explained that there were two of us, they moved the table so it was next to a little ledge inside the window where one of us could perch. It was really very nice of them. They were a lovely couple, from Sarasota, who were there to celebrate their 45th Wedding Anniversary. We ate ice-cream and chatted for a while and then they decided to brave the rain and go off to do some shopping. Andrew, the husband, gave Gary his card and asked him to ‘look us up if you’re ever in Sarasota’.

We finished our sundaes and then went to World of Disney, where we (predictably) lost each other several times and (sadly) bought nothing.

Back to the car, it was time to head back to the hotel and watch telly for a bit before lights out at 11pm. I am now the proud owner of a Disney Dooney and Bourke bag!!!
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
strawberry blonde
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great day but sad news about Jaws

Glad you got a charger so we've got more photos to look forward to
strawberry blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

Lovely day Joh, have the apple fries as dessert next time, LUSH
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

Last edited by tony64; 01-30-2012 at 12:39 PM.
tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

Another good day!

Love your new bag, it's fabulous. I'm debating whether to buy myself one this time round. You can never have enough bags.

It's sad to think that it was your last time on Jaws. I'm still sad about it

Can't wait to see/read more of your trip. x
Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Jets fan
DIS Veteran

Gorgeous bag, bet you're glad that you have it now

Tina
Jets fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Another wonderful day and you are a girl after my own heart using a cocktail as a headache cure

Your D&B bag is just lovely, I must admit I am tempted to treat myself to one
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Another perfect day
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
runskyhy
It's not less monkey, it's Moe Monkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Once I had handed over my credit card and signed my life away, the bag was mine.

RC Oasis, Western Caribbean 03/2014
Disney Fantasy, Western Caribbean 05/2012, 10/2013
Disney Dream, Bahamas 03/2011, 07/2011 , 07/2013
Disney Wonder, Bahamas 03/2006, 03/2009, 10/2009, 02/2013
Caribbean Princess, NE & Canada 10/2012

Disney Magic, Eastern Caribbean 10/2011
Coral Princess, Southbound Inside Passage 06/2010
Carnival Ecstasy, Key West & Cozumel 03/1995
WDW, FL 05/1992, 02/2010, 09/2010, 02/2013
West CA 01/2010, NV 4/2012, AZ 3/2013
runskyhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
jjk

Pete and I wait and watch some lovely baby lizards
I have always booked myself
"Play Up Pompey"

great day, love the bag, i have the smaller bag in the same design

2000 Disneyland paris 2003 Ramada inn 2004 Quality inn plaza2005 Cumbrian lakes2006 Emerald Island July and December2007 Emerald Island May and July2008 Emerald Island and Contemporary Resort2009 Saratoga Springs 2010 Animal Kingdom lodge2011HRH Animal KingdomLodge 2012Holiday inn Miami ocean front /Animal Kingdom lodge
jjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:14 AM   #10
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Hope your headache soon disappeared.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: