Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Wonderful time at Fort Wilderness- A mini TR with Pictures!!

We just returned from our trip to WDW and Honolulu. We stayed at the Cabins for 11 nights from Jan 4-15 and it was the perfect place for us to stay. I thought I would do a mini-TR here describing just our Fort Wilderness experiences.

Just a quick intro:
DD2(15yrs); DD3(13yrs); DD1(18yrs)having lunch on the deck .

Me(40+) chillin' on the Meadow Trading Post Verandah

DH(40++) with the hire car

We came all the way from Sydney Australia.

Our flight got in on time around 9pm and after a hassle free DME ride which took around 40mins including the stops at 3 other resorts we arrived at the Outpost. We had checked in online before leaving home so everything was ready for us. A short wait for bell services and their van to trek us all out to Cabin 2143 (we had requested the 2100 loop through our TP) and we arrived at our Cabin to be greeted by this:

The girls thought it was so cool sooo Disney

The cabin was comfortable, homey and plenty big enough for us. Garden Grocer had delivered our groceries earlier. I had received a text when we were at Dallas airport saying they were in our Cabin. I was very impressed with this service We had dinner of hotdogs and salad and went to bed around midnight. We had been traveling for 21hrs and were exhausted but happy to be at FW.

Everybody had been friendly, efficient and very helpful and we found this to be the case throughout our Disney stay.

We actually had a split stay to take advantage of Free Dining which began on the 8th Jan. Out first 4 days were room only and we spent those days at Universal/Harry Potter Kennedy Space Center and shopping. We also had time those first days to wander around FW and enjoy the atmosphere. While we didn't have time to engage in any Fort activities such as fishing or horse riding just walking the trails, relaxing on the verandah at Crockets Tavern and wandering through the Meadow was a wonderful experience.

The Hoop Dee Doo Review was a fantastic and a highlight of our whole trip. Another highlight was being able to catch the boat to Magic Kingdom and the Wilderness Lodge where we had dinner at Artists Point. The gorgeous weather and beautiful scenery made the boat trips as magical as the Parks. The buses were also great to use and we had no need of a golf cart.

The only hassle we had was having to move from 2143 to 2330 because they needed to do some tree pruning in the 2100 loop. We had been told that we could stay in the same Cabin for the second part of our reservation and we had planned the day to check out of our room only ressie and into our package ressie early, go to Universal come back and get ready for HDDR.

Instead a message first thing told us we had to be out of 2143 by the evening. That put our plans out but bell services were very helpful saying we could pack in the afternoon and they would move our things while we were at HDD. It all worked fairly well with a couple of hiccups that were sorted in the friendly efficient Disney manner and we came back to 2330 to find all our things safe and sound.

So all up it was a great experience staying at the Fort. It was a wonderful place to relax after a day at the parks. We loved the food at Trails End and the Margaritas at Crockets Tavern. I promised piccies and there are more to come in my next post.

Wonderful time at Fort wilderness- A mini TR with Pictures

My Jan 2012 PTR. We Are Coming from the Land Down Under!

Jan 2012 WDW Fort Wilderness Cabins DH DD1/18 DD2/15 DD3/13 and Me
2009 Disneyland with DH & DD1,2 & 3; 2001 Disneyland DD1 with her DGma and dance troupe; 1992 Disneyland with DH & DD1 an unknown passenger after our European trip.

Last edited by OziJo; 01-28-2012 at 09:27 PM.
OziJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
bigblock396
I love Disney

GREAT!! A trip report. Can't wait to hear more about your FW adventures and your Disney trip.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

:informorepix:

Sorry you had to change cabins in the middle of your stay. That's a rare occurance and too bad you got stuck with it.

I'm looking forward to more stories about your trip.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock396 View Post
GREAT!! A trip report. Can't wait to hear more about your FW adventures and your Disney trip.
Hi Thanks for reading.

I'm going to post pics that relate to FW here and do a more involved TR for the TR Forum.

First up.

This photo was taken on the way back to our Cabin after our first day at Magic Kingdom which was day 6. So in TR terms it's chronologically out of order but for storytelling purposes it's a good start It's DD1 & 2. I had to force DD2 to stand on the sand for this. She didn't want to get sand in her new Converse We live near the beach so it's not that she's scared of sand Just don't mess with the Converse!

Back to the beginning. Well the beginning was when we saw the Towel Mickey Mouse (see picture above). That's when we knew we were in Disney World

After a good nights rest we were woken at 8.30am by Mousekeeping. This was ok because we didn't want to sleep too late though an extra hour would have been better.

DD3 & I went out to explore:

The weather was beautiful and the light through the trees made for some lovely photos.

Meadows Trading Post:

DD3 posed on the Verandah at Crockets tavern:

This little fella stopped and posed for me

There was still Christmas music being piped through the trails and some decos:

Down to the Marina:

Lunch on the deck:

I can't image a better place to unwind from our journey and ease our jetlag. It was so rejuvenating that we manged some Outlet shopping in the afternoon

2009 Disneyland with DH & DD1,2 & 3; 2001 Disneyland DD1 with her DGma and dance troupe; 1992 Disneyland with DH & DD1 an unknown passenger after our European trip.

Last edited by OziJo; 01-27-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Thanks for sharing, Jo. FW looks delightful!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

Great start! FW looks gorgeous. It looks so nice and peaceful. Did you see a lot of wildlife? How long is the boat trip to the Magic Kingdom?
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Hi fellow Aussies Thanks for reading!

There were a lot of squirrels around. I thought they were so cute but I know some of the "locals" think they are a bit of a pest. There were plenty of birds especially down by the marina I heard one girl on a the bus one day say she saw a deer and there are aardvarks around but I think they come out mostly at night. I saw the cutest little green tree frog climbing up our window.

It was very peaceful and we could easily stay there again just to enjoy the Fort facilities. If only we could apparate

The boat ride took 20mins tops and it was such a pleasure. The buses were great as well. We had a bus stop just outside our cabin and we would take an internal bus to the Outpost to link up with the buses to the parks. The only time we had to wait more than 10mins for a bus was for an EPCOT bus. That day there was some hold up with the EPCOT buses and we waited 40mins! Otherwise the waits were negligible and we always had a seat.

Anyway I'm going to post a few more FW related pics here then start a full TR.

Hoop Dee Doo Review So much fun and so much food!!

Waiting for the bus:

Bus stop was just outside our Cabin:

Here comes the boat:

Coming up to Magic Kingdom. So exciting

Coming home (FW soon felt like home)

Is this what they call Spanish Moss?

More towel Animals:

Free WiFi outside Crockets tavern!

Meanwhile Mum & Dad where realxing inside:

DD3 and the bear

Old 01-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
OziJo
Mouseketeer

On our way to Magic Kingdom at sunset:

A final pose outside our Cabin:

We loved Fort Wilderness

Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
OK GRUMPY
And that is some useless chit chat!
I wonder if they serve Green Beer

Great TR! Glad you had a good time!

OK GRUMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
tink,too
DIS Veteran

Loved your TR and photos - thanks for sharing.

We'll be staying at VWL in March but we're hoping to spend some time over at FW as well.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
bigblock396
I love Disney

Never get tired of riding the boat over to the MK. It sure is magical especially when you 'round the bend and see MK in front of you. Thanks for those pics.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK GRUMPY View Post
Great TR! Glad you had a good time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
Loved your TR and photos - thanks for sharing.

We'll be staying at VWL in March but we're hoping to spend some time over at FW as well.
We had dinner at Artists Point at the Wilderness Lodge. The Lodge was amazing. Would love to stay there but not with 5 people. I will be posting more pics in my main TR but here's a couple to go on with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock396 View Post
Never get tired of riding the boat over to the MK. It sure is magical especially when you 'round the bend and see MK in front of you. Thanks for those pics.
The boat to Magic Kingdom is something I will forever dream about

Thanks for stopping by ya'll

Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

hey
thanks for the report...its nearly as good as being there.....I see your up early doing reports 6.50am....not back into sleep routine yet????
so when do we see the food......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Hi Karen! Yes there will be food but I had to be quick taking photos as they were quick to scoff it all

I've started a TR. Links in my sig. I promise there will be food and drink. Stay tuned...

Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
cruising spud
Mouseketeer

Disney Vacation

I always love to see trip reports in January. Here I am in Pennsylvania, freezing, and someone else is in Florida, in short sleeves enjoying warm weather.

Isn't life/climate in the Unted States a marvel?

Kathy
cruising spud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: