Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #31
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Oh my gosh, if they told me that my flight to WDW was delayed by 5 hours, it wouldn't just be the kids that were crying- it would be me too!

Awesome idea to go to the USO! I've never been in one, for some reason DH is reluctant to go inside, but they look really nice. Do you know if dependents traveling alone are welcome, or do I need to be with DH?

Lego liberty bell= awesome!

I'm with you, I just think that the AKL is sooooo impressive! If we ever buy more DVC points, I'm going to push hard for AKL, it is just that incredible!

Glad you learned the technical name of all the animals, I think I am unfamiliar with "cattle thing", is that perhaps it's Latin name?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
My sister's princess
These boards have grimmer police
I have never been involved in a conspiracy before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
Joining In!! Poor Lucky!!! I'm sure everything ended up alright with him, right? Thank God you had a good dog sitter that you trust to take care of him! He is adorable and I love that you call him Dog Dog... so cute.

AKL is just so gorgeous. It is a must-do on all of our trips to visit even if we don't stay there. Your room is so beautiful!

Glad you are joining in!!!! We are so lucky to have our house sitter. I think I am going to die when she graduates and moves away.

AKL is just amazing. DO IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonsmom View Post
Yeah another update. I am responding so I can subscribe to this and know when it is updated!!

YAY!!!!!

Last edited by My sister's princess; 01-24-2012 at 12:33 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #33
My sister's princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Oh my gosh, if they told me that my flight to WDW was delayed by 5 hours, it wouldn't just be the kids that were crying- it would be me too!

Awesome idea to go to the USO! I've never been in one, for some reason DH is reluctant to go inside, but they look really nice. Do you know if dependents traveling alone are welcome, or do I need to be with DH?

Lego liberty bell= awesome!

I'm with you, I just think that the AKL is sooooo impressive! If we ever buy more DVC points, I'm going to push hard for AKL, it is just that incredible!

Glad you learned the technical name of all the animals, I think I am unfamiliar with "cattle thing", is that perhaps it's Latin name?

I wanted to cry.... but tried to behave myself there were kids watching! I am not sure on the dependents traveling alone with the USO. I don't think it could hurt to ask! They had a toy area, is it would be great if you were with the little one alone!!

I specialize in technical names for animals, soon you will see "birds" "poofy birds" and "that thing with the horns" along with others. I have alot of knowledge to share. I also have the cheat sheet they put in the rooms, so I will try and share what it says they are as well

Last edited by My sister's princess; 01-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #34
dara00
DIS Veteran

joining in!

First Disney Trip 4/1992 ~ 7th Grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 4/1994 ~ 9th grade with parents and brother ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 3/1998 ~ College Spring Break with then bf now dh ~ MK, Epcot, MGM / 8/2006 with dh and 17 mos dd ~ DLR / 3/2007 with dh and 23 mos dd ~ AK / 12/2007 with dh, 2.5 yr dd and 6 mos ds ~ MK & Epcot / 5/2009 with dh, 4 yr dd, and 2 yr ds ~ DLR & CA /1/2012 with dh, 6 yr dd, 4 yr ds, and 17 mos ds ~ MK & DHS / 11/2012 for my birthday and Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon with dh ~ Marathon & Epcot / 6/2013 with dh, 8 yr old dd, 6 yr old ds, 2.5 yr old ds ~ all!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #35
My sister's princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dara00 View Post
joining in!
Thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #36
My sister's princess

We had dinner reservations as Boma (originally for 6:30, but moved while we were stuck in the airport to 8:05) but had some time to kill.

Josh started unpacking, because for some reason, living out of suitcases doesn’t sound appealing to him! As he put things away, I began creating the mess that I somehow always manage to make in a hotel room, even though he makes me promise that I won’t!

Once I had sufficiently spread my stuff around the room, I got bored and we decided to go check out the hotel a little before we went to dinner!

Josh must have gotten a hold of the camera, because I have no idea what this is

Here we go!

The lobby is just so pretty!!!

First stop, of course the gift shop!! Where we find a fun table of Animal Kingdom gear!!!

We wandered over to the stair case that leads to Boma

And then we ventured out and around the pool area! For some reason I didn’t take any photos, I think I was still just a little overwhelmed!
After we investigated the pool area we decided to peek into the Mara to see how late they were open, and what they offered for breakfast! We were very happy to find that the Mara is open until 11:30! We decided that we would grab our mugs later, so we wouldn’t have to carry them to dinner with us.

By this time is was about 7:45 , so I figured we could go ahead and check into Boma.

The menu board

Check in was a breeze, and the ladies working the desk were very nice to us! They gave us a pager and told us our table would be ready shortly.

The staircase to the Victoria Falls lounge.

The entrance

We had a short wait, that we spent talking about how excited we were just to be there, and before we knew it, our pager was going off! We were lead to our table by a very sweet girl who loves the Magic Kingdom, and couldn’t believe that we had been up since 3:30!!!!

Our server Jeff was very quick to greet us, and described everything that would be up on the buffet. He also told us to be sure to save room for something special that he would be bringing us to celebrate our anniversary!
I ordered a pomegranate lemonade, and Josh decided to try a honey beer.

I did not order the lemonade again it was not very good. Josh however loved his beer! I took a taste, and it was really good, very smooth, and not too sweet. Josh says that the bottle says it was brewed in Florida at a micro brewery.

We went together to get our first plates from the buffet, where there were so many interesting choices!

Josh’s first plate

Josh loved the seasoning on the nut and berry encrusted fish. He also was a big fan of the steak. (Yes we took notes each night about our favorite things from that day, food and otherwise)

My first plate

The mushroom soup was amazing, and the steak was delicious. The chicken wasn’t bad either. I like to try new things, but I don’t always like them so I don’t have too many other things to say about this plate!

By the time we finished what we had taken we both were getting very tired. We decided to go ahead and get some dessert. ( I also got another bowl of soup!!)

We both tried one of everything on the line, I made sure that we each had a Zebra Dome, and told Josh that people rant and rave over them here, and that they should be like heaven on a plate.

Seeing that we had started dessert Jeff asked if we had saved room for something special from the kitchen like he told us to! We assured him that we had, and I asked for a cup of decafe coffee to go with our wonderful desserts.
Jeff brought us a cute plate from the kitchen with some super yummy little bites on it! He even saw that I was taking photos of everything, and offered to take a picture of us!

I of course took a photo of just the plate as well!

Jeff brought us our bill, and returned a little later to take it for us. He was so nice when he brought it back, and thanked us for the tip, which I just thought was a wonderful. It was a wonderful evening, but holy was I exhausted.
We decided that we were going to head to bed, so that tomorrow wouldn’t be a bust!
Josh took a few photos as we wandered back to the room.

After we made it back to the room I set a wakeup call for 7:30 the next morning, and we crashed!

Last edited by My sister's princess; 01-26-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #37
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me

LOVE Boma and the butternut squash soup. and the corn polenta stuff is amazing. The hummus is so tasty, too! How did you like the zebra domes? And I can't stand the pom lemonade. Why can't they just have regular lemonade???
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
Old 01-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #38
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by My sister's princess View Post

We both tried one of everything on the line, I made sure that we each had a Zebra Dome, and told Josh that people rant and rave over them here, and that they should be like heaven on a plate.
Was it????

Looks like a nice dinner at Boma. One of the many places I've yet to try. I've actually never even stepped foot on the property of AKL before, so I need to work on doing something about that one of these days.

I hope you were able to get plenty of rest for your first park day!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #39
My sister's princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl602 View Post
LOVE Boma and the butternut squash soup. and the corn polenta stuff is amazing. The hummus is so tasty, too! How did you like the zebra domes? And I can't stand the pom lemonade. Why can't they just have regular lemonade???

I wish they would just leave a good thing alone. The lemonade they had was yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Was it????

Looks like a nice dinner at Boma. One of the many places I've yet to try. I've actually never even stepped foot on the property of AKL before, so I need to work on doing something about that one of these days.

I hope you were able to get plenty of rest for your first park day!

Josh really loved it, wanted to go back all week even!!

You both made me realize that I didn't include my thoughts on them

I thought they were ok, but not nearly as exciting as people make them out to be
Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #40
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I was waiting to hear what you thought about the zebra domes too. I had to go back and reread, I thought maybe I missed it. I didn't really like them that much. I thought they were a waste of stomach space when there is so much stuff in Disney that is much yummier. I don't get the gross lemonade either

Over all Boma looks great! We have only been there during breakfast. I had it booked when we stayed there but chickened out. I am always afraid my DH and DD will hate it, since they are extremely picky. They do have a kids section with boring stuff, right?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #41
My sister's princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I was waiting to hear what you thought about the zebra domes too. I had to go back and reread, I thought maybe I missed it. I didn't really like them that much. I thought they were a waste of stomach space when there is so much stuff in Disney that is much yummier. I don't get the gross lemonade either

Over all Boma looks great! We have only been there during breakfast. I had it booked when we stayed there but chickened out. I am always afraid my DH and DD will hate it, since they are extremely picky. They do have a kids section with boring stuff, right?
Yea, I am the girl that forgets to write what I though about the most hyped item at the restaurant...

I am getting the feeling that not many people like the icky new lemonade.

I am picky, and I found enough to eat, without hitting the kid's section. They did have like mac and cheese, and mashed potatoes, and the beef I had was pretty much just a good slice of beef!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #42
My sister's princess

I awoke the next morning at about 6:00… and couldn’t go back to sleep. I stayed in bed for about 15 minutes, then decided that I would get up and watch the sun rise.

I sat out on the balcony and really just enjoyed some “me” time, looking out over the dark savannah.

I was a bit surprised, I guess I forgot that in Maine we are the first to see the sun, because I was out there a LONG time before the sun started peeking through….

When the sun really started to come out, I woke the husband up, and told him to come look at the animals with me! I also updated my facebook via my newfangled smart phone, so that my friends could all be jealous! According to my comments on that post, disney4metoo was commenting before 6:30 so I know roughly what time it was.

Josh was smart enough to grab the sheet that tells you what the animals are, so we were able to identify a few of them!

Once I got Josh up and out of bed I decided that it was time to make some coffee! We were able to enjoy our coffee in the adorable zebra mugs that were in the room while we watched a few interesting animals wander by!
Josh just couldn’t tear me away from the balcony! I wanted to watch away my morning!!

Add in the coffee, and I wasn’t going anywhere.

The lighter is got, the more animals I saw!!

Josh took a photo of me taking photos with my phone

We enjoyed watching as everyone came out and strolled by!

And, we got to see a nice animal keeper feeding the birds!

And another giraffe photo, because you can’t have enough!!

I have to say, I can be from my bed, to my desk in 45 minutes at home, and yes that includes a shower. It took Josh over an hour and a half to get me out the door…
Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #43
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Doing some animal watching would be a great way to start the day. Apparently, you thought so too, if it took an hour and a half to get you out of the room.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #44
My sister's princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Doing some animal watching would be a great way to start the day. Apparently, you thought so too, if it took an hour and a half to get you out of the room.
He was very kind about it, and we had the time... but I could tell I was killing him
Old 01-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #45
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me

You have inspired me to go look through our pics from last trip at the savanna view from our room. lol
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: