Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #766
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
There really isn't anything "near" Stanley park as far as I know, but the Robson area and even the waterfront aren't horribly far and the public transportation options (and cabs) are pretty good.

For San Diego, check out Glorietta Bay Inn we had a lovely 4 night long weekend there a couple of years ago. I have pictures if you'd like. It is across the street from the Del. The prices at the Del are insane.

In Seattle, my favorites (in price order lol)are

The Alexis

The Monaco
The Edgewater
Inn at the Market

We were just at the Alexis before Christmas for an anniversary getaway and got an amazing upgrade, it was just wonderful all around. I have pictures of our EMP corner suite, it was crazy! The first 2 are Kimpton Hotels and if you sign up for the membership with the chain, you'll get extra treats like possible upgrades!

I've heard great things about the arctic room but haven't stayed there myself.
Thanks for that! Will look them all up.

Quick question on the cruise, could you let me know what the dining rotation was and which night was pirate night? Thanks so much.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #767
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I didn't think Jeff was EMPLOYED at a coffee shop!

I meant trying to get work done with the small tables, distractions, etc.

Sounds like you hooked him up with a better location
yeah, although the bathroom at that location is forever away so he had to pack up the laptop etc every time he had to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Beautiful sunset pics! One thing about those - once you start snapping, you can't stop because each moment is better than the last.

Nice relaxed shots of Jeff, too - wonderful background scenery!

So how does Jeff feel about cruising now - would he do another itinerary?
He will, to a point. He is only interested in DCL cruises, wiht a verandah, and has to spread it out and then it's only if it's an itinerary he is interested in (which limits it quite a bit). He loved Alaska and was very happy with the cruise itself as well. To be honest, the one we are booked on in August is not our first choice of itinerary by a long shot but it IS the only one that works to get Kendall on with us and we'd love for her to be able to to it so...

We would both love to do the Med next summer but it is very possible there will be a large family WDW trip that same year and no way we can do both.

You are so right on the sunset picture snapping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Thanks for that! Will look them all up.

Quick question on the cruise, could you let me know what the dining rotation was and which night was pirate night? Thanks so much.
I'm not sure the nights will be the same as the route is a little different.

Ours was like this

Vancouver
At Sea (formal night)
Skagway (semi formal)
Juneau
Ketchikan (pirate night)
At Sea
Vancouver

Our dining rotation was

AP, PC, T, AP, PC, T, AP

We did Palo on the 4th night for that reason since no matter what rotation we got, that restaurant would be on our rotation 3x. I didn't request a particular rotation and at first was a little bummed about Parrot Cay for formal night but it worked out great.

I'm not sure what the other rotations are in therms of order but you can call and they will be able to tell you the rotations as well as confirm which night is pirate night.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #768
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the report. I found it this morning at work and read the whole thing (not getting much done here!). I can't see the pictures so I am going to have to look at them at home on a better computer. I have my TA set to move our dummy booking to Alaska for summer 2013 and was looking for some info. to see if we would like it. It really sounds great. I LOVE warm weather cruises and we would have to go in early July, so I am wondering if I would hate the cold. Any thoughts? I was thrilled to see your kids could/would still swim in cooler weather.
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #769
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
Thanks for the report. I found it this morning at work and read the whole thing (not getting much done here!). I can't see the pictures so I am going to have to look at them at home on a better computer. I have my TA set to move our dummy booking to Alaska for summer 2013 and was looking for some info. to see if we would like it. It really sounds great. I LOVE warm weather cruises and we would have to go in early July, so I am wondering if I would hate the cold. Any thoughts? I was thrilled to see your kids could/would still swim in cooler weather.
I think it depends on the kids and family but the pools are certainly warm enough (80's). It will not be a warm weather cruise, the high at that time of year is 64 and the low is 48 so it just depends on how you are in the lower end, which can be most of the time on board. For us it was absolutely fine!

Looks like you'll be able to move on Thursday! Just got the email with itineraries...
Old 01-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #770
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
yeah, although the bathroom at that location is forever away so he had to pack up the laptop etc every time he had to go.

He will, to a point. He is only interested in DCL cruises, wiht a verandah, and has to spread it out and then it's only if it's an itinerary he is interested in (which limits it quite a bit). He loved Alaska and was very happy with the cruise itself as well. To be honest, the one we are booked on in August is not our first choice of itinerary by a long shot but it IS the only one that works to get Kendall on with us and we'd love for her to be able to to it so...

We would both love to do the Med next summer but it is very possible there will be a large family WDW trip that same year and no way we can do both.

You are so right on the sunset picture snapping!

I'm not sure the nights will be the same as the route is a little different.

Ours was like this

Vancouver
At Sea (formal night)
Skagway (semi formal)
Juneau
Ketchikan (pirate night)
At Sea
Vancouver

Our dining rotation was

AP, PC, T, AP, PC, T, AP

We did Palo on the 4th night for that reason since no matter what rotation we got, that restaurant would be on our rotation 3x. I didn't request a particular rotation and at first was a little bummed about Parrot Cay for formal night but it worked out great.

I'm not sure what the other rotations are in therms of order but you can call and they will be able to tell you the rotations as well as confirm which night is pirate night.
Thanks, it was which night to book Palo on that I was mainly interested in!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #771
natebenma
DIS Veteran

What a fantastic afternoon! Once again, it is great that you had both couple time and family time on this trip. Good for you and Jeff, good for the boys.

Your sunset pictures are so very pretty!

PS- I will send you my updates the way you suggested. I have the info still (I think) from when I received photos for Teena's book.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #773
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Thanks, it was which night to book Palo on that I was mainly interested in!
You can call DCL and confirm the rotation to make sure, it worked out perfectly for us on that 4th night and I was thrilled (as a first time cruiser) to get the ressie, right on the first day I could! Palo brunch took quite a while to get but I just kept checking and amazingly it opened up on Tracy Arm morning which was perfect!. You can always book on board if you really run into a bind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
What a fantastic afternoon! Once again, it is great that you had both couple time and family time on this trip. Good for you and Jeff, good for the boys.

Your sunset pictures are so very pretty!

PS- I will send you my updates the way you suggested. I have the info still (I think) from when I received photos for Teena's book.
I thought that might be easier for you, it seems like a lot of work the other way. The lighting was so hard to get right on those sunset pics, I eally need to learn how to work my camera better! I will practice a LOT this summer.

I don't think we will get the same amount of couple time on the next trip so was very excited to have it, it really was an unexpected blessing and while some of it was kid driven, it wasn't in the "I don't want to be with my parents" kind of way so it was just this huge win win all around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Ahhhh... Isn't it great when you can feel relaxed as a vacation comes to an end.

You can never take too many sunset photos!
We were VERY relaxed. What was really nice about the at sea days is that they force you to relax, something neither Jeff or I are terribly good at. I am glad on this next trip that we have beach first as that's just as good as an at sea day.

I agree, never too many sunset pics!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #774
Chilly
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
You can call DCL and confirm the rotation to make sure, it worked out perfectly for us on that 4th night and I was thrilled (as a first time cruiser) to get the ressie, right on the first day I could! Palo brunch took quite a while to get but I just kept checking and amazingly it opened up on Tracy Arm morning which was perfect!. You can always book on board if you really run into a bind.
I was thinking the Tracy Arm morning for brunch. Have spent my lunch hour today looking at tour options. Getting very excited.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #775
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I was thinking the Tracy Arm morning for brunch. Have spent my lunch hour today looking at tour options. Getting very excited.
Fun! Which ones are you looking at? Tracy Arm day was perfect for brunch, I still can't believe we got it!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #776
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Oh my gosh! Your sunset pictures are insanely amazing!!! I can't even get over how beautiful they are!! WOW!

It really truly sounds wonderfully relaxing, romantic and restorative! Sigh is right!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #777
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Oh my gosh! Your sunset pictures are insanely amazing!!! I can't even get over how beautiful they are!! WOW!
Aw, coming from you that is a huge compliment! Your pictures are amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
It really truly sounds wonderfully relaxing, romantic and restorative! Sigh is right!!!
It really really was it may be a hard act to follow.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #778
cadams
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the trip report

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive report. I am trying to decide if an Alaska cruise is in our future. I am heading in that direction after reading your report. I am a Seattle area resident as well - the great beer and coffee around here almost makes up for the rain and cloudy days!
cadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:37 AM   #779
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

That last afternoon sounds really wonderful! And I did not mind all those sunset pictures at all. They were rather lovely.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #780
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadams View Post
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive report. I am trying to decide if an Alaska cruise is in our future. I am heading in that direction after reading your report. I am a Seattle area resident as well - the great beer and coffee around here almost makes up for the rain and cloudy days!
Thanks and the rain isn't so bad, it keeps people from moving here so we can have our sunny days all to ourselves! But yes, thank heavens for great beer, wine and coffee. I highly recommend the Alaska cruise, we had a wonderful time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
That last afternoon sounds really wonderful! And I did not mind all those sunset pictures at all. They were rather lovely.
It was really wonderful! Thank you on the sunset pictures, I had fun trying to capture it. Last night coming up next. Sniff!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: