Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Anyone been to comic con

DS is wanting to try comic con for vacation in 2013 but I don't know a lot about it. Is it fun or just annoyingly packed, Is there lots for a teenager to do? How many days should we spend at the convention, would 2 be enough? How do you buy tickets, it looks like online ahead of time? Is it worth flying all the way from NC? Though I'm sure we'd combine t with other southern CA sights (DLR??).

Thanks for playing 20 questions!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
StageTek
It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

It’s fun and it’s annoyingly packed.
There is a lot to do and see. It’s mostly “movie con” these days,
comics taking a far backseat to movie promotions and panels.
Two days is usually enough.
You buy tickets in advance on line.
Hard to say if it would be worth it for you. Many fly in from all
over the world and do it every year because they LOVE going. If
you make a week out of it and see other sites too, it will be very
worth it.
StageTek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
AustinTink
Gonna dye till the day I die

We take a SoCal trip every summer. Two years ago we added Comic Con to our lineup. Now, we're hookerd. There is plenty to do on the convention floor and the breakout rooms. There really isn't a need to stand in line for 6 hours to see the movie stars. Not my cup of tea anyway.

We have only been for one day each time because tickets are so hard to come by and the online system to buy them really sucks. The multi-day passes were already sold out. Get online as far in advance as possible to secure your tix. You'll be waiting in the queue for a very long time.

I suggest you join their facebook group to receive updates. I also suggest you take an extra empty suitcase with you on your trip. You'll need it to bring home all the cool freebies they give out!
AustinTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Kelsers!
Earning My Ears

Another way to experience Comic Con is to volunteer. Volunteer sign up is online, usually about 7 months ahead of time. I've volunteered the past two years and have really enjoyed my time. You pledge to spend 2 hours a day doing whatever task you're assigned (you get some choice, so if you can't do something like heavy lifting, don't worry!), in exchange you're granted free admission and a free t-shirt! I had a lot of fun working the check in booth for exhibitors, assembling their swag bags. When our time was done the ladies in charge gave the volunteers their own swag.

Popular panels are very difficult to get in to and require waiting in massive lines. For the Harry Potter panel in 2010, fans were sleeping overnight. Some people once they get into a panel room stay all day. This makes it difficult to attend panels if you're volunteering. But there are lots of other things to do, the exhibit hall is massive, there's always fan meet ups, and smaller panels.

Hope that helps! Comic Con is a ton of fun, especially for teens. And San Diego is one of the best towns in California, definitely worth a trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: