Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
tatafernow
Earning My Ears

Equador Pre and Post Days

It was a trip of a lifetime,you are in for such a great adventure, the girls were so sad it was over they wanted to rewind the time and do it again.
I wouldn't recommend resting when you get back to Quito, you have plenty of time to do that on the airplane and at home. Make good use of all the time you have there. We went on the raft trip with Barefoot Expeditions it was great. Wild enough but not unsafe, the guides knew the river well and watched the rookies well to keep everybody safe,I even fell in and he had me back in the raft in 30 seconds,even though I outweighed him.The only thing is where they bring the rafts out and have the lunch, had a lot of sandfleas and they bite! So take a good repellent. I never get bit by mosquitoes so i never use it, and I got caught unaware and itched for 2 weeks.
The Disney trip was so well run, the least little thing that we needed was taken care of. And the guides both Disney,local and on the Islands were the best.I know Disney has a longer Galapagos trip now but we felt like we had lots of time and variety on the islands. And the Ecuador portion was a life changing experience,for us and the girls, its beautiful.And we are all having fruit and juice withdrawal we miss it, you wont think as much of grocery store produce after!
I hope to get some pictures organized and posted soon. Give you a little taste of the beauty.
tatafernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
sjlsk8r
Mouseketeer

I will second all of the above comments. . .yes, we were on the same trip
sjlsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
kristilew
DIS Veteran

Welcome back! So excited to read your thoughts and experiences!

We are doing this trip over Christmas this year, and are already counting the days! Any tips you have would be much appreciated, and would love to hear if there was anything special done for the holiday?

Thanks!
kristilew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatafernow View Post
It was a trip of a lifetime,you are in for such a great adventure, the girls were so sad it was over they wanted to rewind the time and do it again.
I wouldn't recommend resting when you get back to Quito, you have plenty of time to do that on the airplane and at home. Make good use of all the time you have there. We went on the raft trip with Barefoot Expeditions it was great. Wild enough but not unsafe, the guides knew the river well and watched the rookies well to keep everybody safe,I even fell in and he had me back in the raft in 30 seconds,even though I outweighed him.The only thing is where they bring the rafts out and have the lunch, had a lot of sandfleas and they bite! So take a good repellent. I never get bit by mosquitoes so i never use it, and I got caught unaware and itched for 2 weeks.
The Disney trip was so well run, the least little thing that we needed was taken care of. And the guides both Disney,local and on the Islands were the best.I know Disney has a longer Galapagos trip now but we felt like we had lots of time and variety on the islands. And the Ecuador portion was a life changing experience,for us and the girls, its beautiful.And we are all having fruit and juice withdrawal we miss it, you wont think as much of grocery store produce after!
I hope to get some pictures organized and posted soon. Give you a little taste of the beauty.
Thanks for your report! I do hope you can post a few photos! I just did a photo review for a recent cruise and it was easier than I thought it would be! Im glad your girls enjoyed it! Do you mind a question?

I recall you telling me your girls are older teens (college?), wondering if they were ok with the younger kids around, or felt " out of place". I have older teens going and they are torn about whether to do the Kids stuff (and end up feeling like a baby sitter- you know how the little ones just hang on them all day!!), or whether to just hang with us...any thoughts about how it was for your girls?
ABD Andean Highlands and Galapagos Islands 2012
Photo Review: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987674
WDW- visits since 1976, lost count a long time ago.
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
czycropper
DIS Veteran

Which islands did you go? Did you climb up to the top of Bartolome? Weren't the penguins adorable?

I'm still working on my 2010 Galapagos scrapbook and just finished the page on the climb to the top of Bartolome and how my DDs decided that it would be fun to race up the hill after climbing all the dang stairs!

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #21
sjlsk8r
Mouseketeer

We visited Bartolome, Baltra, San cristobal, Isabela, and I think two others that are not coming to me right now. And yes we did all of the stairs!! It was an amazing view from the top. I am working to catalog th 5000+ pictures that DH took - on three different cameras.

Kristilew - We had an amazing Christmas Eve dinner on the ship. That is when they do their big celebration. Probably my biggest tip would be to be prepared for the climate changes. Chilly in the higlands - definitely need a jacket and you may want to shower at night because mornings are almost cold at the Hacienda. Very intense su int eh islands. Lot of sun screen required. We wore long sleeve tech shirts most days for sun protection. If you have specific questions, just let me know!

One comment on older teens. There were several of them on our trip and none were "forced" into the optional children's activites, but they all decided to participate. They even joined in on the second movie night as well as the first!
sjlsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
czycropper
DIS Veteran

I loved the view from there as well.

I know all too well about going through thousands of pictures. My DH & I ended up with over 6,000 and that's with me going through them and deleting some on a daily basis on the ship every night after I downloaded them into my netbook - but I guess 6,000 isn't that much for a 10-day trip

Which was your favorite island? I still think that mine was Fernandina since a penguin, a seal and several types of fish decided to swim between my DD11 and I while we were snorkeling - I was so excited I couldn't even get my camera up to my eyes fast enough Then we saw the sharks since we were swimming in the famous current and boy could you really feel the difference in the water!

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #23
tatafernow
Earning My Ears

Equador Pre and Post Days

My girls are 15/16 and there was another 17 year old girl and a 13 year old boy and 12 year old girl and then several younger down to 8, the 8 yr old hung out with her parents and sister, the teens spent time hanging out together as well as the tweens, and they all, as well as some adults loved the movie nites. (Only the kids up thru teens were allowed to vote on what movie they'd see!)My younger daughter hates pizza so they just made sure her dinner order made it's way to her.
tatafernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #24
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatafernow View Post
My girls are 15/16 and there was another 17 year old girl and a 13 year old boy and 12 year old girl and then several younger down to 8, the 8 yr old hung out with her parents and sister, the teens spent time hanging out together as well as the tweens, and they all, as well as some adults loved the movie nites. (Only the kids up thru teens were allowed to vote on what movie they'd see!)My younger daughter hates pizza so they just made sure her dinner order made it's way to her.
Thanks for your report! This was our experience with our first ABD, and I'm glad to hear the age skews older. My neighbor was just asking me about ABD Italy trip with a 17 and 13, and her 8 yo. She was hoping the older kids wouldn't be bored, and I really feel the guides do a great job with the tees too
It's nice that you confirmed ths.
ABD Andean Highlands and Galapagos Islands 2012
Photo Review: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987674
WDW- visits since 1976, lost count a long time ago.
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: