Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #166
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

TESS - LOVE the pictures!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Hello! Glad you had a great stay. Care to elaborate on your various reasons? Just curious as I am hopelessly torn between BC and Poly for our next trip and we've never stayed at either. There are appealing things about both of them and I feel that by picking one, I am going to regret missing the things at the other... DH is not interested in a split stay and just says to pick one. Since you were directly speaking about both of the resorts I most strongly consider, maybe you could give some perspective? TIA.
I know you were asking someone else but thought I would give some feedback since I've stayed at the Poly and BC. I prefer the Poly over BC but would stay at BC again. Here is why I think the Poly is better -

Transportation (monorail to MK AND Epcot - and all the monorail resorts)
Theme - I just love the tropical theme of the resort. BC is 'beachy' but seems plainer to me.
Food - BC has a much-to-be-desired quick service (it is a counter in their store). Poly's quick service and Ohana's beats out BC's options (in my opinion! I had bad food and service at Cape May's, Hurricane Hannah's, and Beaches n Cream.)
Rooms - I like the bathroom at the Poly how it is INSIDE a door. BC has the sinks OUTSIDE the toilet/shower area so if you use a sink when people are sleeping, it is loud at BC!
Neverland club - BEST kids club is at the Poly. If you plan on using a kids club, it is nice to use this one and really nice if you are staying there. BC has a kids club and my kids did not use it when we were there, but it is smaller than the Neverland club.

BC beats out Poly with the Epcot location though. If you are only going to Epcot, BC is right next door! And it is close to HS too.

BC also has stormalong bay which I actually did NOT like. It is spread out so you can not see the whole 'pool' from one location. So with younger children, it felt less 'safe' to me. If they wanted to go on the slide, I had to go with them. Or if they wanted to go in the 'current' I had to hold on to them (it's a strong current!) But saying all that, I could definitely see how this pool would appeal to teenagers that can go off on their own in the pool. And even though my kids are excellent swimmers, I won't let them go off on their own at a hotel - they are still young enough that I worry.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 01-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #167
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post

I know you were asking someone else but thought I would give some feedback since I've stayed at the Poly and BC. I prefer the Poly over BC but would stay at BC again. Here is why I think the Poly is better -

Theme - I just love the tropical theme of the resort. BC is 'beachy' but seems plainer to me.
Food - BC has a much-to-be-desired quick service (it is a counter in their store). Poly's quick service and Ohana's beats out BC's options (in my opinion! I had bad food and service at Cape May's, Hurricane Hannah's, and Beaches n Cream.)
Rooms - I like the bathroom at the Poly how it is INSIDE a door. BC has the sinks OUTSIDE the toilet/shower area so if you use a sink when people are sleeping, it is loud at BC!
Neverland club - BEST kids club is at the Poly. If you plan on using a kids club, it is nice to use this one and really nice if you are staying there. BC has a kids club and my kids did not use it when we were there, but it is smaller than the Neverland club.

BC beats out Poly with the Epcot location though. If you are only going to Epcot, BC is right next door! And it is close to HS too.

BC also has stormalong bay which I actually did NOT like. It is spread out so you can not see the whole 'pool' from one location. So with younger children, it felt less 'safe' to me. If they wanted to go on the slide, I had to go with them. Or if they wanted to go in the 'current' I had to hold on to them (it's a strong current!) But saying all that, I could definitely see how this pool would appeal to teenagers that can go off on their own in the pool. And even though my kids are excellent swimmers, I won't let them go off on their own at a hotel - they are still young enough that I worry.

Great post! I totally agree with all of it
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #168
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

I agree with the PPs about SAB. I think it is fine for VERY small children (because you have to be on top of them every moment anyway), or independent teens. But for those in-the-middle, tweenie kinds of kids, SAB seems very dangerous. We rented surrey bikes at the boardwalk in 2010 and almost ran over several kids who were simply walking from the pool to the slide. It seemed overwhelming to me.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
Old 01-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #169
jandkmom
Mouseketeer

My countdown is now days, not weeks! Can't wait for our first CL experience at the Poly!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #170
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_the_mouse View Post
For various reasons, I'd rather not do BC again. Not that is isn't a wonderful resort, because it is . As of now, I'm booked at BWI, but that stinkin' clown is what keeps me reconsidering. Well, that and the fact that I don't think I can go to WDW again and not stay at my Poly at least part of the time
All the talk of the clown slide make me giggle...I love that slide! It's probably my favorite of the ones I've been on at WDW. When we were there, my husband said he always knew when I was on the slide because he could here me laughing on my way down it.

Me DH DS(16) DS(14) DS(11) DS(10) DD(9) DD(7)
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon), OCT 13 CSR (Grand Gathering)
Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #171
cricketgirl
I've waited my whole life for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandkmom View Post
My countdown is now days, not weeks! Can't wait for our first CL experience at the Poly!
Me to! We will be there late Friday night.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #172
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Since Carl has been so generous in sharing, I thought I would pass on a few of my favorites. . .from 2010.

Oh my, guess I got a bit carried away. . .
Nope!! Not carried away at all!! I really love the different perspectives of these!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post

The poly is much more convenient YC/BC we went to beaches and cream to get the kitchen sink.. We thought we would never get out of there when we were done!! We couldn't wait to get out of there and get back to the poly!

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #173
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Okay so I asked this on the old thread but..
If anyone has a pic or pictures of your room view on your last stay and want to share them..post em..
I think it would help those that have not stayed feel better about their room choice if they can see what we have already seen!!

Let's see.. let's see

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV

Last edited by carlnix30; 01-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #174
padawans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
I agree with the PPs about SAB. I think it is fine for VERY small children (because you have to be on top of them every moment anyway), or independent teens. But for those in-the-middle, tweenie kinds of kids, SAB seems very dangerous. We rented surrey bikes at the boardwalk in 2010 and almost ran over several kids who were simply walking from the pool to the slide. It seemed overwhelming to me.
Yes I agree. My kids are what I also refer to as tweenie 7 and 9. SAB is very fun for them, but not so relaxing for me. I keep asking them if they wan't to stay at BC or BW. They keep picking BC. Don't get me wrong I love BC for the location, and the pool is fun. I just find the Poly and BW to be better for lazy parents like myself that don't like move from the lounge chair. As of now were still doing a poly/bc split.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #175
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleofafamily View Post
All the talk of the clown slide make me giggle...I love that slide! It's probably my favorite of the ones I've been on at WDW. When we were there, my husband said he always knew when I was on the slide because he could here me laughing on my way down it.
I too think the clown slide is kind of ugly and creepy. But when you're actually there in person, it fits with the whole atmosphere. Our October stay had a view of it from our room! But now it has a special place in my heart because it was DD's first water slide.

BC versus Poly really depends on what is important to you, which parks you'll spend the most time at, and what theme appeals to you. For Food and Wine, I would choose BC or BW. But any other time, it would depend.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #176
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Good morning!!

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #177
laura428
DIS Veteran

LOVING all of the pictures - thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padawans View Post
Yes I agree. My kids are what I also refer to as tweenie 7 and 9. SAB is very fun for them, but not so relaxing for me. I keep asking them if they wan't to stay at BC or BW. They keep picking BC. Don't get me wrong I love BC for the location, and the pool is fun. I just find the Poly and BW to be better for lazy parents like myself that don't like move from the lounge chair. As of now were still doing a poly/bc split.
This is totally us. The kids will still only be 8 and 6 on the next trip, and I don't feel safe if they're not within view. Admittedly, I'm with DD6 most of the time, anyway, as she's not as comfy in the water by herself, but makes me feel better knowing that I'll be able to keep easy tabs on DS8.

I've been thinking about checking out some of the Epcot resorts, so all of this info is really helpful! I think for now, with the kids being younger, it'll be the Poly for a little while longer.
2014 Princess Half Marathon
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #178
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

OK, Carl I'll play along ... this is our view from our trip in October.
Hawaii room 3506

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #179
padawans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura428 View Post
LOVING all of the pictures - thank you!!

This is totally us. The kids will still only be 8 and 6 on the next trip, and I don't feel safe if they're not within view. Admittedly, I'm with DD6 most of the time, anyway, as she's not as comfy in the water by herself, but makes me feel better knowing that I'll be able to keep easy tabs on DS8.

I've been thinking about checking out some of the Epcot resorts, so all of this info is really helpful! I think for now, with the kids being younger, it'll be the Poly for a little while longer.
We live in Az so my kids swim year round. I think if they were a little more timid it might be easier. Their great swimmers and feel comfortable around water. I just hate having to get up all the time to go check on them. Yeah I agree it's much easier if you can see the whole pool. The only thing BW is missing is a sand area for the kids to play in. Kids love sand, and it keeps them busy for hours. I think if it had that it would be a better option in the epcot area.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #180
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
OK, Carl I'll play along ... this is our view from our trip in October.
Hawaii room 3506

I love the first one! Sail boat palm.. And castle!!

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: