Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
My sister's princess
These boards have grimmer police
I have never been involved in a conspiracy before!

Let's be Spontaneous!January '12- Sunrise Breakfast and EMH! 2 part update(3/11)

This trip was booked on a whim one cold Maine winter afternoon. We had returned from the Mouse House in June, and were not planning a return trip for at least a year. Until, I started pricing and then looking at crowds... and well the rest is history! There is a pretrip report that is scattered and short here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post43415041

In this trip report you will find an obscene number of photos, two very quirky people, and you will see what happens when the planner doesn't plan!!

Details:
Dates: January 9th – January 15th, 2012
Dining Plan – Disney Dining
Resort – Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge – Jambo

How about some introductions!

This is Josh, the DH. He is a twenty something who didn’t quite know he had a love of the mouse until we went to Disney in 2010 to be married. This was his 3rd trip, and I would now qualify him as a Disney nut! He is a solider with the Army National Guard (this becomes important later) and in his final year of college. Josh is a big Muppet, and Toy Story fan. He likes to try new foods, and enjoys a good beer.

This is me, Beth. I am a twenty something with a passion for life that many people just don’t “get”. I currently work in a Financial Aid Office at a tiny University in Maine, where the DH and I met. I tend to obsessively plan. I love food, in general, and incorporate a little Disney into my everyday life when I can. This is my 4th trip to the Mouse House.

And this is Lucky AKA Dog Dog. Lucky is a 3 year old (next month) 90 something pound baby who has taken over our lives since he joined our family in March. Dog dog is where we will begin our journey…..

Links in the next post!

Last edited by My sister's princess; 03-11-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
My sister's princess

Monday, January 9th!

First, The dog gets very sick...

Next, We start the journey...

And then, We get there

Now, we should have dinner (Boma)

Tuesday, January 10th!

Why, am I awake this early!?

We Got out the door, now what? (The Mara)

How long can it take to get down Main Street USA?

We get off the train, I get distracted, then I almost die at the POTC!!!

Getting to the Plaza

Lunch at the Plaza

We begin to wander...

Josh loses, and not graciously

Now what to do? pt. 1

Now what to do pt. 2

It's raining soot!!

Disappointing dinner (Petcos Bill's)

Wednesday, January 11th!

Breakfast with the sunrise (from the Mara)

Animal Kingdom Extra Magic Hours, and Extra Magical Safari!

LIFE update!! (3/18)

Last edited by My sister's princess; 03-18-2012 at 07:34 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
My sister's princess

We left Monday morning, very early, so I knew that I needed to have everything in order and ready to go when Josh got home on Sunday (he had Army drill) So, I spent Sunday morning doing laundry, and cleaning up around the house, and then went with a friend to get our nails done.

Lucky didn’t want to eat breakfast, and after I convinced him, he was sick. Poor puppy didn’t feel well.
I didn’t think too much of it, because Lucky has caught a cold in the past. However, by the time Josh got home from drill, and we were starting to think about finishing our packing, we knew something was wrong. VERY wrong. Lucky started shaking, and begging to go outside, just to sit on the deck. I called the emergency vet, and they advised that we bring him in as soon as possible.
I was worried, as my baby looked like this

Instead of like this

Well 2 hours, and 3 medications later, we were headed out the door, with instructions to give our pet sitter. Lucky had an infection, and had been running a fever. I have to say, having someone you trust and know will take care of your pets makes all the difference when leaving on vacation. More so, when you are very worried!!!

We got home, ate a quick dinner, finished packing, and headed to bed. The alarm was set for 3:45, and I knew it was going to be a long day of travel!!

Last edited by My sister's princess; 01-24-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

I'm here! I'm sorry Lucky got sick! It's always tough to leave your pets when you go on vacation, and especially hard if they are not feeling well. I hope that the pet sitter took good care of him and that he was all better by the time you got home!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Look what I just stumbled across! I'm sorry about Lucky. That's not a good way to start a trip, but I'm glad you could trust someone to take good care of him while you were gone.

I'm looking forward to reading about your trip.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
My sister's princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I'm here! I'm sorry Lucky got sick! It's always tough to leave your pets when you go on vacation, and especially hard if they are not feeling well. I hope that the pet sitter took good care of him and that he was all better by the time you got home!
YAY You are here! I thought of you every time I saw "Barfy" during our trip. DH thought I was a bit insane when I called him that

I would trust our house sitter with my life. She will be an RN in May, so I can't imagine anyone better to leave my sick pup with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Look what I just stumbled across! I'm sorry about Lucky. That's not a good way to start a trip, but I'm glad you could trust someone to take good care of him while you were gone.

I'm looking forward to reading about your trip.
Glad you are following along! I don't have an adorable child like you do, but I treat my dog like a child! I am trying to convince my DH to join the DIS, as he is becoming a bit of a Disney nut... I will have to venture over to the dads board and see if he would like it there I think.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
My sister's princess

The alarm went off Monday morning at 3:45, however at 3:30 I was wide awake, and decided to get my day started ! I crept down the stairs, trying not to wake the most wonderful house sitter ever, who was asleep on my couch.

We are out the door by 4:45, and our wonderful house sitter drops us off at the airport, where we check in to find… that they have changed our flights! We won’t be leaving until 6:50!!!! We decide that since we now had plenty of time, that we would get some breakfast!!

I figured now was as good a time as any to start photographing our food!

I had a bacon egg and cheese on an English muffin, and Josh had the same, but on a bagel. Josh was please “it had bacon” and I can’t complain!

One of the things that I most love about Maine is that our airports are TINY. We have one concourse at the largest two, and neither has more than 10 gates. It is so easy to get in through security, because there are never too many flights at once!!

Josh took a little nap while I posted to facebook, and read a book on my phone. Before we knew it, we were onboard!
Where Josh took another nap!!!!

Soon enough we landed in Philly, where we RACED to catch our next plane! We got there just in time to board… and sit, and sit, and sit.

About 15 minutes after we were supposed to leave, we were told that due to mechanical issues with the plane that we needed to deplane, and wait in the gate area for more information!! There were kids around us crying, and no one was impressed to say the least.

We were told after a short wait that they would be boarding us later in the day (5 hours later). They gave everyone a $5 lunch voucher, and sent them on their way.

Josh, being the quick thinker he is realized that we were in the concourse with the USO!!! Told you the whole soldier thing was important!
So headed off to the USO where we had lunch, and chatted about our reservations and plans for the next few days!

After chatting for a bit, we decided to go relax in the TV room, where I somewhat napped, and we watched American Pickers for a bit!
Josh relaxing.

Josh took this photo of us holding hands

We headed back to the gate, and stopped for a fun photo with the Lego Liberty Bell!!

Soon enough we were on board!
I took this photo to send to my dad, this was the largest plane that I had ever been on! It held over 200 people!!

Lucky for us, there was a young man seated across the way who had spent the entire delay drinking. He was very loud, and somewhat crude. We were unimpress, but lucky for us, he passed out shortly after we took off.

Soon enough we were off the plane where we made wonderful friends on the shuttle who were also headed to Animal Kingdom lodge!

Before we knew it, we were on the magical express, chatting away with our new friends! I found out that they are on the DIS, and we quickly become Facebook friends! (This becomes important!!)

Lucky for Josh and I, we are the first stop! Jambo house, here we come!!!!!!!!

Last edited by My sister's princess; 01-24-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me

We love the Philly USO! They helped Dan sooo much when he was on a red eye, in that huge storm (was it a hurricane that hit the east coast?) when his dad was deathly ill. They fed him, gave him a place to sleep, got 6 connecting flights (that were all canceled) AND allowed him the use of a computer.
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
Old 01-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

okay following along my maine friend....but pls tell me what the uso is....canadian army wife so not really sure.

and poor lucky....thats your equivalent to b landing at the docs about 12 hrs before we left to drive to maine.

1985- off site1986- off site2003- off site2004- off site2005- allstar movies!2009- allstar movies!-tenth wedding anny trip! 2010 split stay! asmovies andwl! 2011-bay lake(feb) 2011 ssr(may) 2011 bay lake(dec)
Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
My sister's princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg@eastlink.ca View Post
okay following along my maine friend....but pls tell me what the uso is....canadian army wife so not really sure.

and poor lucky....thats your equivalent to b landing at the docs about 12 hrs before we left to drive to maine.

Glad you are here Amber!!!!!!!!!!!!

The USO is a place where soldiers can go and rest. They are a really amazing organization this is their website, they do all sorts of things for the troops
http://www.uso.org/

Last edited by My sister's princess; 01-24-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by My sister's princess View Post
Glad you are here Amber!!!!!!!!!!!!

The USO is a place where soldiers can go and rest. They are a really amazing organization this is their website, they do all sorts of things for the troops http://www.uso.org/
thats awesome! im pretty sure we don't have anything like that here, altho westjet does take pretty good care of the soldiers on thier flights(hubbys gotten free booze)

1985- off site1986- off site2003- off site2004- off site2005- allstar movies!2009- allstar movies!-tenth wedding anny trip! 2010 split stay! asmovies andwl! 2011-bay lake(feb) 2011 ssr(may) 2011 bay lake(dec)
Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I just found your TR and hope you don't mind if I join in

We rented points to stay in AKV last May and it was so beautiful. I can't wait to hear about your stay there.

That's awful that Lucky was sick when you had to leave for your trip. At least you had someone you trusted looking after him
Old 01-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

ps i totally agree about your airports! s. portland was so easy to breeze through! now that being said halifax international has a record for having some of the worst tsa agents going! they let me leave the country last yr with the kids with a scribbled note from allan, landing home and coming back through in my own home town the note got me nothing but troubles!

anyways, back to maine, the kids got to leave their shoes on, the agents were nice and friendly and we really did get through very fast. it almost made up for the 12 hr drive and the limited internet connection in our hojo room- i could get 2 bars in the bathroom....one in the room! lol

Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
MelMel11
Mouseketeer

Count me in!!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
My sister's princess

Quote:
thats awesome! im pretty sure we don't have anything like that here, altho westjet does take pretty good care of the soldiers on thier flights(hubbys gotten free booze)
That is good, I like when companies do something, no matter how small

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I just found your TR and hope you don't mind if I join in

We rented points to stay in AKV last May and it was so beautiful. I can't wait to hear about your stay there.

That's awful that Lucky was sick when you had to leave for your trip. At least you had someone you trusted looking after him
I am so glad you joined in!! I loved the hotel so much!
Lucky was doing much better by the end of the week, but it was scary!

Quote:
ps i totally agree about your airports! s. portland was so easy to breeze through! now that being said halifax international has a record for having some of the worst tsa agents going! they let me leave the country last yr with the kids with a scribbled note from allan, landing home and coming back through in my own home town the note got me nothing but troubles!

anyways, back to maine, the kids got to leave their shoes on, the agents were nice and friendly and we really did get through very fast. it almost made up for the 12 hr drive and the limited internet connection in our hojo room- i could get 2 bars in the bathroom....one in the room! lol
We have been very lucky flying through both Portland and Bangor has been smooth for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel11 View Post
Count me in!!
YAY!!! Welcome!!

Last edited by My sister's princess; 01-24-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: