Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #91
TwoIfBySea
Mouseketeer

What I don't have to pack

Close enough to departure that I'm starting to make a packing list, and I'm trying to figure out what I *don't* have to pack. Do all the Club Level rooms definitely have two bathrobes, slippers, and a working alarm clock?

Any other amenities I might normally pack but don't have to because they're available in the room?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #92
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoIfBySea View Post
Close enough to departure that I'm starting to make a packing list, and I'm trying to figure out what I *don't* have to pack. Do all the Club Level rooms definitely have two bathrobes, slippers, and a working alarm clock?

Any other amenities I might normally pack but don't have to because they're available in the room?
I know they have two robes in all the CL rooms, alarm radios are in all rooms. Don't know about slippers.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #93
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoIfBySea View Post

Just spent last Summer in Poly CL. Had 2 bathrobes, no slippers. Had alarm clock. Actually, all levels of rooms I stayed in at Poly had alarm clocks. I did notice that they did provide extras like mouthwash, shaving cream and disposable razors for DH, dental kits, that the non-CL buildings did not provide. It was a nice touch. Have a great trip!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #94
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast822 View Post
We're just in a standard view room. I think being close to the pool and maybe the beach would be the best. I can see us sitting on the beach a lot at night, even if it's just me and my hubby while an older child sits with the sleeping toddler.
I might suggest Samoa. It runs parallel to the volcano pool. Since you had said that a balcony is the most important for you I would word your request like this: "third floor, Samoa, volcano pool side." The room assigners will then know the order of importance of your priorities, keeping in mind that requests are never guaranteed. You could always just be a little more general and say "third floor, near pool and beach" and see what you get! Good luck!

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF/3-night Bahamas ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #95
PreacherMouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandkmom View Post
Single digit dance for us too! Looks like we have a few of us that will be there at the same time. We are GV CL Hawaii...how about the others?
Woohoo - my son and I will be there at the same time too! I requested Tokela (sp?) but dont know anything for sure yet. I also requested top floor as we paid for GV and I read might get a glimpse of the castle....
Old 01-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #96
Eliserose
Mouseketeer

Just booked our first stay at the Poly. I've heard the coffee at Kona Cafe is great. Can you get it 'to go'? Any other suggestions/must-do for a first timer?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #97
momminnie
Mouseketeer

12 Days to go!

I have 12 more days and I will be at the Poly. Can someone tell be about the online check in and the best place to request. GV near the GCH and not too far to go to see the water parade. A balcony too if not too much to ask. Thanks so much in advance
My Disney trips: 1st trip 1986-off site, DS1 1st trip 1993-off site,1996-off site, 2001 DH & DS2 1st trip ASMU, 2002 PORS, 2007 WL, 2009 PORS, 2010 CBR, 2012 POL POFQ 2014 (my 10th visit to the happiest place on earth)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #98
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by momminnie View Post
I have 12 more days and I will be at the Poly. Can someone tell be about the online check in and the best place to request. GV near the GCH and not too far to go to see the water parade. A balcony too if not too much to ask. Thanks so much in advance
I believe Fiji Building has a GV class room that over looks the marina, yes it is still a GV room and is close to the GCH. If you want a balcony, try for these rooms: 3311-3322

These rooms do offer a side view of where the parade comes by. AKA you look off and to the left of your balcony and there you go. You don't need to hang off of it or anything to see the water parade.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #99
joshua4
DIS Veteran

We are going to be there in one week so I figure it is not time to unlurk!!! Looks like we will be there the same time as Brea, Preachermouse, Cricketgirl and others. We are only there for four nights -- it is a quick girls trip. Me, my dd (11) and a good friend and her dd (10) and dd (13). She hasnt been in years and her daughters have never been. We have a GV room so I requested Tokelua, third floor when I made the reservation. I am excited out of my mind about the trip and am hoping that her girls love WDW as much as my daughter does. The girsl all go to camp together in the summer so they know each other well and we should have good chemistry on the trip.

So, my question for all of you -- I have never done online check-in before but see that others going the same time period have already done that. Where do I go to do that? Since I made my longhouse request, should I see that on my reservation? Once you do online checkin -- do they send you a confirming email back with your longhouse on it? What is the advantage to doing this?

Thanks.

Lauren
Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #100
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Just so you know, you can't make a room/longhouse request with the online check-in. You have to call to do that (the central reservation number) and ask to have it noted on your reservation.

If you request Figi make sure you ask for the marina side if you want the water view, but given that the building is set back in from the beach I'm not sure, because of the angle, if there would be a great view of the EWP from your room. It is however, very close to the GCH & volcano pool.

Another option to be near the beach, GCH & pool would be Samoa. Tokelau is also close to the beach if you are on the beach end. But nothing at the Poly is really a big walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua4 View Post
So, my question for all of you -- I have never done online check-in before but see that others going the same time period have already done that. Where do I go to do that? Since I made my longhouse request, should I see that on my reservation? Once you do online checkin -- do they send you a confirming email back with your longhouse on it? What is the advantage to doing this?

Thanks.

Lauren
To do online check-in log into your WDW online account. On the drop down menu under "My Disney Vacation" there is a link for online check-in. I can't remember if you will see requests in there or not. You do not get assigned a longhouse at the time that you do the online check-in. You will not find out where they have put you until you check in at the resort.

If you do online check-in you go to a separate area at the front desk when you arrive. They will already have your arrival package and key cards made up for you. It's meant to expedite the check-in experience, especially during busier times. Some people feel that doing online check-in might affect your requests - either favourably or unfavourably. Based on reports here it doesn't seem to be more avantageous one way or the other. The main difference would be if you don't like the room they give you - if you have done online check-in and they can move you, you will have to wait to get the keys redone.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF/3-night Bahamas ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #101
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreacherMouse View Post
Woohoo - my son and I will be there at the same time too! I requested Tokela (sp?) but dont know anything for sure yet. I also requested top floor as we paid for GV and I read might get a glimpse of the castle....
I stayed in room 1915 (I THINK that was the number) and it was the far northeast room on the 1st floor. If we went out about 5 feet, we had a castle view but we could not see it from our room. I have heard that on the higher floors, you get a sideways glimpse of the castle in a few of the rooms. But these are very few and I would not expect to get one of these at all. If you really want a castle view, book it! But Tokelau is my favorite and I am fine with paying for a GV and walking out to the beach to see the castle if I need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliserose View Post
Just booked our first stay at the Poly. I've heard the coffee at Kona Cafe is great. Can you get it 'to go'? Any other suggestions/must-do for a first timer?
There is a Kona Island Cafe Coffee Bar next to the Kona Cafe (and conveniently located next to the monorail entrance!) They are open in the mornings and in the evenings it turns into a sushi bar. Here is a menu from allearsnet:

Grown in Kona, Hawaii, Roasted in Orlando, Florida, Served in Disney's Polynesian resort at Kona Cafe

Kona Blend Coffee - Regular $1.99 Grande $2.59

Kona Blend Decaf Coffee - Regular $1.99 Grande $2.59

Espresso - Single $3.49 Double $4.49

Kappuccino - Regular $3.99 Grande $4.99

Kafe Latte - Regular $3.99 Grande $4.99

Kafe Mocha - Regular $4.49 Grande $5.49

Kafe Au Lait - Regular $4.29 Grande $5.29

Assorted Pastries and Desserts from the in-house bakery.

I HAVE tried getting take out from Kona Cafe (in the evenings) and they would NOT let me. Not sure if that is standard or I just got the wrong person to help me (they previously told me I could get take out and that is why I went back later for my dessert).

As for the espresso drinks here, they were horrible when I tried them a couple years ago so I won't buy coffee here. Then again, I'm actually ok brewing it in my room or the nescafe (I know, I am one of the few but it reminds me of when I backpacked around Greece and they served nescafe EVERYWHERE!)

Quote:
Check out tikiman's site for some VERY in depth views of the longhouses:

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/quick-longhouses

I always book the cheapest (GV) and have always requested Tokelau based on several things (slightly larger rooms, recently remodeled, located close to the pools and GCH but still an easy walk to TTC, all rooms have balconies or patios, one sink in bathroom...) We also prefer a ground floor room to have room to walk around in the mornings on our patio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua4 View Post
We are going to be there in one week so I figure it is not time to unlurk!!! Looks like we will be there the same time as Brea, Preachermouse, Cricketgirl and others. We are only there for four nights -- it is a quick girls trip. Me, my dd (11) and a good friend and her dd (10) and dd (13). She hasnt been in years and her daughters have never been. We have a GV room so I requested Tokelua, third floor when I made the reservation. I am excited out of my mind about the trip and am hoping that her girls love WDW as much as my daughter does. The girsl all go to camp together in the summer so they know each other well and we should have good chemistry on the trip.

Thanks.

Lauren
They do not assign you to a room until a few days before you arrive but you really won't know the room or the longhouse until you get to the resort.

On-line check in helps you get through the check in process quicker when you get to the resort. They already have your credit card on file, have your packet ready, and just show you on the map where your room is. There is also a separate line for on-line check in. I have used it since they implemented on-line check in and have found it convenient at some times and just the same as regular check in others (because maybe there isn't any line at either or they have to redo buttons or whatever). I have also received all my requests at the Poly whether I have done online checkin or not. But that is lucky too!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #102
momminnie
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone, I wonder where I'll end up if I don't make request?
My Disney trips: 1st trip 1986-off site, DS1 1st trip 1993-off site,1996-off site, 2001 DH & DS2 1st trip ASMU, 2002 PORS, 2007 WL, 2009 PORS, 2010 CBR, 2012 POL POFQ 2014 (my 10th visit to the happiest place on earth)
Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #103
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I wonder where I'll end up if I don't make request?
I can guarantee.. It will be a room at the poly..

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 01-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #104
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Evening from the Poly beach!
The only time I think the GF is romantic..

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
Old 01-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #105
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

I posted my question to the CL thread, and thought I might get some opinions here, too:

Every time I look at Tripadvisor or AllEars I see a common complaint that the Hawaii rooms are in need of repair and are showing their age. Of course, I've read this about WL and CR, too, and so far, I haven't experienced this, but it doesn't mean that others haven't.

Has anyone been completely satisfied with the cleanliness and state of their Hawaii room? How would you rate the condition of your room and the mousekeeping? Can you tell I had a cleanliness issue with my last Poly stay?!

How efficient were the lounge CMs at replenishing the food? I've read multiple reports that once they run out, they don't replenish the food up until the serving time ends - they just tell the guest that they're "all out." And, I've also read that the KKC lounge can get very crowded and crazy at peak times. Are the CMs able to keep up with the crowds and clean the tables pretty quickly or is it often a mess and hard to find a table?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: