Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Can't Plan for Baby? Better Plan for Disney! -- PTR

Welcome to my second PTR! My name is Paula and I love WDW! We have been three times in the past 2.5 years, but more on our Disney history later…

In the meantime, here is a picture of my wonderful husband and me! I am 30 years old and he is almost 35. This picture was part of the photo shoot we did for our 2011 Christmas cards.

I don’t have the greatest track record on the DIS, but I am determined to follow through! I always have so much fun reading PTRs and TRs, and I really want to complete my own!

I never finished my TR for September of 2010, never created a PTR or TR for my February 2011 trip. I may include some details from both of those trips in this PTR, who knows?

My plan is to update the PTR at least once a week. Throughout the week, I will respond to comments and read other PTRs/TRs. We'll see if that sticks!

This PTR may be two PTRs in one. I know that I am going to WDW in 2013 with my sister's family, but I am also considering a trip with my husband this December. We will see though—it all depends on when we have a baby—hence the title of my TR!

I have learned, (or I am trying to learn), that you can't really plan for a baby. Believe me, I have tried for three years! So... I might as well spend my time planning for Disney!

Stay turned for more information: introductions, our TTC experience, tentative ideas for the two trips, etc! Should be fun!

Last edited by oboedm; 01-18-2012 at 07:54 PM.
oboedm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents:

Trip with DH (and baby?)
December Trip: Cast of Characters and Random Ramblings
December: Where to Stay
Plans Put on Hold

Trip with BIL, Sister and Six Kids
Cast of Characters
Staying Off Site? Heck No!
Starting to Plan for 2013!
Transportation

Disney Movie Nights/Outings/Niece.Nephew Updates
Dalmatian Movie Night!
Photo Workshop and Planning Session
Photo Workshop and Planning Session Part II

2013 Budget Posts/DVC Calculations
Budget! Hop aboard the Budget Train!
Airfare Budget and a Question
Resort—Room/Size Configurations
2013 Packages are Here!
Pricing the Moderates
Art of Animation: Pricing
Purchasing DVC?
Why AKV? Why 200-250 points?
Cost of DVC: Is it worth it?

Life with DH Updates:
Force Quit, Treasure Boxes, BIL
A Kink in My Planning
Check Out My New Ticker!
Life's a Happy Song!
One Less Ticker
New Baby Plan
Life Update

December Disneyland Trip!

Feb/March 2011 TR:
Day 1: Part 1-- Travel Time
Day 1: Part 2—Cinderella’s Royal Table
Day 1: Part 3—Princess Parade
Day 2: Part 1—Breakfast and the Mad Dash
Day 2: Part 2—Hangry
Day 2: Part 3—Hangry and Hot

Last edited by oboedm; 11-01-2012 at 11:18 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
disney<333
DIS Veteran

Joining in! You really can't plan for a baby. We tried for a little over 3 years and were starting to look into adoption and then one valentine's day....
disney<333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Hi Paula! I'm joining in! I am excited to hear about your trip details, and your TTC journey as well!
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
Blackbeltdisneygirl
Disney obsessed and proud of it!!!

I'm here too! Thought I'd jog over to your PTR and have a read! It didn't take long! I look forward to reading about your journey! Remember, anything worth having is hard work.

2010: POR 7 days, 2011 split stay: POR 4 days CSR 7 days, 2012: CBR 12 days, 2013: POR 9 days, 2014: 12-14 days AoA???
Blackbeltdisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Hi Paula! Can't wait to read about the upcoming trips! Wishing you the best with TTC!
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney<333 View Post
Joining in! You really can't plan for a baby. We tried for a little over 3 years and were starting to look into adoption and then one valentine's day....
That is good to know! I still hold out hope! Your girls are super cute, by the way! I have enjoyed reading your latest TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
Hi Paula! I'm joining in! I am excited to hear about your trip details, and your TTC journey as well!
Thanks, Courtney! It's good to have you here! Your honeymoon TR was amazing! You two are super cute together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeltdisneygirl View Post
I'm here too! Thought I'd jog over to your PTR and have a read! It didn't take long! I look forward to reading about your journey! Remember, anything worth having is hard work.
Welcome! I will keep reminding myself of that! I am sure I will be so thankful when things finally work out for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
Hi Paula! Can't wait to read about the upcoming trips! Wishing you the best with TTC!
Good to see you here! I have enjoyed hearing about your trips as well... you almost have me convinced to by DVC, but we figure we should probably have a couple of kiddos first, LOL! For many people, getting pregnant is free! Such a baffling thought to me at this point.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
oboedm
DIS Veteran

Cast of Characters: December Trip and Random Ramblings

Cast of Characters: December Trip and Random Ramblings

DH (Evan): Likes Goofy, Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest, etc. Turning 35 next month. Training Administrator for the same university (we carpool to work!). Loves WDW and DLR, but I don’t think he gets cravings for it like I do. He enjoys it when we go, and likes having a trip on the horizon. However, he isn’t involved much in the planning process. He will give his opinions when prompted, though, so that’s a good thing.

Here is a picture of Evan from our November 2011 trip to Disneyland:

Me (Paula): Likes Donald, Expedition Everest, BTMRR, etc. Turning 31 in June. Staff/faculty member for a university. Please don’t hold typos against me! I don’t proofread much on the boards. I love my job, and it has enabled us to take so many Disney trips within the last few years. I do plan to quit my staff job when I have kids and only teach courses part-time. That is the goal anyway. We will see if that works out!

Here is a picture of me during out November 2011 trip to Disneyland. More on this later:

We are celebrating our 10th anniversary this year! We started dating, got engaged and married all within a matter of months. Sure, we knew each other as friends for a year and a half, but still. We had our first date at the end of Feb, got engaged at the end of March, and got married at the beginning of June—a day before my 21st birthday! Here is a picture! Ah, to be that skinny again!

We are still trying to figure out what to do for this milestone. Last night I suggested a nice dinner the weekend after our anniversary, which is probably what we will do. I really don’t want to spend the money on a trip in June, as I want to go to WDW in December. He doesn’t know about my plans yet—maybe I will keep it a surprise!

Additionally, I am training to become a labor and postpartum doula, childbirth educator and lactation consultant, so we are “investing” money into that this year. He says it is investing, which makes me feel super supportive! Anyway, with all of these upcoming expenses, I really need to do better about my spending habits, LOL!

Maybe Baby?
– If we get pregnant this month, our little Dexter or Ramona will travel with us. We would be due on Halloween, give or take a couple of days. It all depends on when our IUI is scheduled this month. I have a day 10 ultrasound scheduled for Sunday morning, and this cycle I am taking both Clomid and Menopur. If we don't have a kid by then, that will be just fine. It can be a little babymoon for us.

Anyway, the kid will be about 5-6 weeks old at the time, and I think that having something to look forward to will help me in the postpartum period. I have been around babies a lot, so traveling with a small one won’t be too overwhelming (I think). I plan to breastfeed and hope to be comfortable with that by the time we leave. My sisters feed in public all the time, so I am comfortable with nursing covers and all that public feeding entails.

My sisters (all three) have nursing covers like this:

Courtesy, kids-n-cribs.com

But I think I am going to get one like this. I will probably sew it myself, adding a little more stiffness at the top so that I can see the baby eating a bit better.

Courtesy, yourpregnancyandbeyond.com

Additionally, I think it will be nice to put the baby in the carrier on some rides and for activities like the Maharaja Jungle Trek. I already have an Ergo Baby carrier, which I love to use with my nephew (he is 10 months old). I will either get the infant insert for that (so that it works with a smaller baby) or whole different carrier for the infant stage. I have heard that the Moby wrap is a great choice for small babies.

Here is the Ergo with the infant insert. I have a black carrier.

Courtesy, bambinipronto.com

Here is what a moby wrap looks like.

Courtesy, granolababies.com

Now, if we get REALLY lucky and end up with two, this trip won’t happen. I can’t imagine taking two small babies to the parks and financially we probably wouldn’t be able to make it work.

I think I would be fine with twins, though. It is like getting a two for one deal at the fertility clinic! Additionally, we think that we only want two kids, so we would be done with pregnancies in one shot.

Random Ramblings-- You all need to go to the store right now and buy Ben and Jerry's Carrot Cake Ice Cream. It's AMAAHHZING (as Penny from Happy Endings would say).

Also, did anyone else see the premiere of Alcatraz on Monday? It had a LOST feel, which makes me happy. A show about a mysterious island produced by J.J. Abrams? Is it 2004 again? If you didn't watch it, what do you watch? Evan and I are Pop Culture Junkies.

Last edited by oboedm; 01-18-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
disney<333
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the sweet compliment on my girls. Congrats on 10 years. I really hope you get pregnant this cycle. I had to laugh at your comment on two for the price of one.
I'm into reality shows. This winter I've been watching the Bachelor and right now American Idol. I like AGT and Big Brother is really big in my house. The Biggest Loser always inspires me to go to the gym the next day.
disney<333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Great intro!

I can sympathize with the TTC journey, it took us a long time to get pregnant with my DS, so I understand your frustration. I'm hoping that this cycle is the one and you end up with the baby of your dreams!

Going with a 5-6 week old baby isn't going to be easy, but if you are determined, you can certainly make it work. I took DS to my brothers wedding (which involved a 6 hour car ride, and overnight hotel stay) when he was 10 days old, and if I can do it, anyone can!

I don't know if I would fly with a baby that little, but if you are within driving distance, then go for it!

Oh, and have you checked out the Becco Gemini carrier? Its similar to the Ergo, but it also has a front facing option. I have the Becco butterfly and really like it, but if we ever get blessed with baby #2, I'm going to sell it for the Gemini. Plus they have such cute prints!
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Hey there! Love the intro! I wish you the best of luck ttc! I was blessed to have 4 kids and I recognize that... but I am a bit familiar with the frustration of ttc not working well. Our last took an extra long time to get to us (hence why there is a 10 year gap between my youngest son and youngest daughter) There were quite a few struggles along the journey to having her... so I empathize what others go through when their ttc journey is not a simple one.

And... doula? I have not practiced in some time, but I was certified as a doula... it was very rewarding work. I cherish that time. I wish you the best of luck with that as well. I wish I had been more successful with it. With a young child of my own and moving outside of where most of my clients lived it just became too difficult to continue and be the kind of doula that I wanted to be.

And...your random ramblings... Just got done watching Happy Endings... LOVE that show!!! Missed the pilot of Alcatraz though...so have that set to record the next time it airs.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

I'm joining too! Sounds like a fun year ahead. I'm interested to hear about your TTC story. We tried for almost a year for this LO, and now I'm 2.5 weeks away from my due date. It royally sucked and I definitely understand what you're going through, I hope this is the cycle for you!! I had a m/c in March and then got preggo on my first try of Clomid after that in May, but we were definitely planning on an IUI if a couple more months went by.

I was also secretly hoping for twins hehehe and we're taking our first trip to WDW in October when she's about 8 months old. But actually our first trip will be in April sometime (probably) to visit my grandparents in Texas, so her first flight will also be around the 6 week mark. You should be fine!! (from what I've ready anyway...LOL...).

Anyway good luck with it all and let us know how this cycle goes & the ultrasound sunday!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #13
BMC423
DIS Veteran

Hello! I followed you here from Courtney's PTR... being a bit of a PTR/TR addict I said hey why not?!?!? That was a great shot from your wedding!

I hope this is your cycle, and I hope you get you 2 for 1 deal; even if it means no Disney!

Those BF covers look very pretty! I never really found one I liked so I did the pump and carry, my how things have changed in what 3 years!
2012 - Caribbean Beach 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
BMC423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Hey, I am joining you for your ride. Wishing you all the baby dust out there as you TTC.

Hope you def. make it out to Disney in December. We are going then too with our 26months (by then) for her first real trip.

Was looking at the products you posted. We love our Ergo. It's awesome. The moby wrap was great too, but I loved the ergo even more.

Awesome you hope to nurse. It's a great experience. I hear the baby center at MK is awesome and has some nice nursing areas. I didn't care about nursing in public either. Baby has to eat. (When you get to that point, there is a thread on the family boards here on the Dis about nursing at Disney.)

Ok, looking forward to hearing about your plans. We are just starting down the planning road as well.

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Other: Nov13(VBR), DCL Dream Oct14, Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2043!
Current TR: Our Visit EVERY Season 12-13!!
Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I'm joining in. We are also ttc and I am having a hard time trying to fit my Disney trips in without knowing when it will happen. Right now we are giving Disney a break until Nov. 2013 but if we haven't gotten pregnant by fall of 2012 I am going to take our DD7 for a girls only trip.

DH thinks I am crazy for wanting to take a (hopefully) 1 year old to WDW, I can't imagine what he would say if I wanted to take a small baby. We waited until DD was 5 for her first trip and once we went I said we are starting earlier with any future kids.

Best of luck ttc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: