Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #316
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Hi Everyone! BRRR chilly around here the past few days (woke up to -13.2 this am)

Kids are back home so dinners this week are:
Monday - Sloppy Joes, Shoestring FF, Cut cold veggies
Tuesday - Barber Chicken (Kiev & Brie and Apple), Chicken Nuggets, Lipton Garlic shells, Herb and Butter Rice, French Style Green Beans
Wednesday - Breakfast for dinner - Cinnamon Swirl French Toast, Maple Sauage, cut Fruit
Thursday - Cheeseburger Maccaroni Hamburger Helper for kids, Parmeasan Rosted Pork for me and DH, with Sweet Mashed Potatoes and Corn
Friday - ??
Saturday - homemade Pizza night
Sunday - Meatloaf Dinner with homemade potato wedges and Green Beans.

Happy cooking!

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
Old 01-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #317
charming23
DIS Veteran

Tonight we are having breakfast casserole with fruit smoothies.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #318
mjbaby
DIS Veteran

I ended up not going shopping as expected last night because we took dinner to my MIL's house. She's been sick and we wanted to tempt her to eat, but she hates my cooking. So we picked up $60 worth of "dinner to go" from the market - there were eight of us, so not too bad, I guess - and went over there.

So I still have that chicken, which is roasting right now, and we'll have that tonight (with dry-roasted okra, roasted diced potatoes, and homemade applesauce). Over the weekend I made bean soup so we'll have that tomorrow and half will go into the freezer. The rest of the week will be:

Wednesday: garlickly beans, kale and pasta (trying a new corn pasta - keep your fingers crossed!). This is a basketball night so I appreciate that this cooks very quickly and is a complete "one bowl" meal.
Thursday: falafel in pitas with lemon tahini sauce, shredded veggie salad
Friday: Nachos (tortilla chips smothered in taco meat, cheddar cheese, salsa, homemade pickled peppers, diced black olives)
Saturday: Pork chops, saurkraut, glazed carrots, socca
Sunday: the guys are going skiing, so my daughter and I will make some cajun shrimp pasta as a treat (my son and husband both hate shrimp - crazy!)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #319
wishesuponastar
DIS Veteran

How do you know she hates your cooking? Did she tell you or tell your DH?

I wonder if my inlaws hate my cooking too cause I bring food over there sometimes for their freezer yikes! (MIL is sick)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #320
figment3258
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to welcome aboard anyone who is new!

Saturday I threw together a quick playoff party which went very well

Tonight I am making waffles with ice cream strawberries and homemade whipped cream ( dd's really like my pregnancy food cravings )

Tomorrow I think I shall make a soup

Wednesday I have a drs app and will go grocery shopping after
Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #321
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charming23 View Post
Tonight we are having breakfast casserole with fruit smoothies.
That sounds yummy. Maybe I will give it a go tomorrow.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #322
xbatman
Mouseketeer

Location: Nittany Lion country, but then again, isn't everywhere Nittany Lion country?

This is the plan, so we'll see how it goes!

Mon - Mexican Shepherd's Pie-had this for lunch; DD & DH home and swimming tonight
Tues- Chicken Pot Pie (PA Dutch style with the dough squares)
Wed - Cinnamon French Toast with fried beef stick (to cook some of the fat out), fruit
Thurs -Leftovers
Fri - BBQ chicken rollups, fruit, Jello for later
Sat - Meatloaf, baked pot, green veg, garlic cheese biscuits
Sun - Chinese buffet to celebrate Chinese New Year (Mon) and Mulan movie night
Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #323
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

This week's menu:

Monday: Roast beef, gravy, baked potatoes, vegetable stir fry, tossed salad
Tuesday: Slow cooker chicken taco soup, tossed salad
Wednesday: Ham, baked beans, green beens, rolls, tossed salad
Thursday: Oven fried chicken, rice, gravy, steamed broccoli, tossed salad
Friday: Baby back ribs, mashed potates, corn, cornbread, tossed salad
Saturday: Spaghetti with meatballs, garlic bread, tossed salad
Sunday: Roast pork, scalloped cheese potatoes, mixed vegetables, tossed salad
Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #324
mjbaby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishesuponastar View Post
How do you know she hates your cooking? Did she tell you or tell your DH?
She's never said anything directly, but has made comments over the years that are pretty indicative of her feelings. For example, a while back she mentioned that she'd been craving "a nice rice pilaf" and hadn't had one in a while. So I made her a pilaf using a recipe my grandmother always used - toasting the rice, diced veggies and so on - and brought it to her as a surprise. She brought the whole casserole back the next day uneaten because it was "too different from Rice-A-Roni" (which is what she'd really had in mind).

Our tastes are just different, that's all. I've learned that when I cook for her I need to really tone down seasonings, use canned veggies over frozen or fresh, and stick to convenience boxes. It's how she was raised and isn't likely to change at this stage of her life, so when we take food for her it's either supermarket takeout (which she likes) or something like Chick-Fil-A, and Red Lobster for special occasions.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #325
charming23
DIS Veteran

We changed our mind on dinner. We ended up having leftover chicken and dumplings. My mom has the cold I had last week and it was the only thing that sounded good to her. I am going to make up the breakfast casserole tonight to have tomorrow for dinner.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #326
wishesuponastar
DIS Veteran

Awww man, she brought the whole thing back to you and you did so much to make it for her. I would have given you back an empty dish. But I guess in a way, she did you a favor. You won't spend all the time to make things for her and then have it thrown away or returned. What an awful feeling that must have been. Yeah, stick with take out for her LOL

Now, I wonder how I'm ever going to find out if my inlaws eat my food LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbaby View Post
She's never said anything directly, but has made comments over the years that are pretty indicative of her feelings. For example, a while back she mentioned that she'd been craving "a nice rice pilaf" and hadn't had one in a while. So I made her a pilaf using a recipe my grandmother always used - toasting the rice, diced veggies and so on - and brought it to her as a surprise. She brought the whole casserole back the next day uneaten because it was "too different from Rice-A-Roni" (which is what she'd really had in mind).

Our tastes are just different, that's all. I've learned that when I cook for her I need to really tone down seasonings, use canned veggies over frozen or fresh, and stick to convenience boxes. It's how she was raised and isn't likely to change at this stage of her life, so when we take food for her it's either supermarket takeout (which she likes) or something like Chick-Fil-A, and Red Lobster for special occasions.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #327
lattemomof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishesuponastar View Post
This weeks plans:

Mon - grilled chicken breast (in broiler) over romaine lettuce with a little warm white rice under topped with Italian dressing
Tues - Meatloaf
Wed - looking for something new, found it! chicken and dumplings recipe upthread from MominKC http://www.plainchicken.com/2011/11/...casserole.html
Thurs - baked rigatoni
Fri - pepperoni pizza rolls posted upthread
Sat - http://www.plainchicken.com/2008/04/...casserole.html But I will double the recipe.
Sun - I think we're going to inlaws
I think I'll try the cheesy chicken casserole tomorrow, as I have the ingredients on hand & I still have no menu for the week! I just finished making 3 batches of bars for dd12 to take to school for her half birthday, so dinner was scrambled eggs, toast & oj.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #328
wishesuponastar
DIS Veteran

Oh, please review the cheesy chicken casserole, I've never made it.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #329
figment3258
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbaby View Post

I so hear you! We have lived with my mil since her husband left and it's great now but food is one area that is till touchy. We ave way different tastes and it's really hard to please her. She enjoys plan bland food. For instance she will only eat canned green beans not fresh and carrots for veggies. Which Akers it hard my my dd's to eat veggies cause if mammy won't try it they don't see why they have too.
Another time I made pulled pork and she tried it bt she actually spit it bak out into her napkin at the table
I've learned now if I make Mexican lets say I always grill her a pain chicken breast.
Oh well gotta roll with life
Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #330
oopsiDAISY
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed a long weekend at home with my family and NO computer time. It was nice just to live in the moment with my kids this weekend. Our menu this week:

Saturday-
Sloppy Joes
French Fries

Sunday-
Salsa Chicken
Rice
Cheese Quesadillas
*Homemade Banana Pudding

Last Night-
Chicken and Dumplins
Green Beans
Cornbread