Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Jan '12 It's Cold, Let's Go to Disney!!(NEW 3/27 EP, DHS, AK & Pouts)

Post Trip Report begins on Page 10, #138. Table of Contents is in 2nd post.

Glad you could join! We are going to WDW Jan 19-29 and staying at Old Key West. This is our first time at this DVC and the first time to stay in January for more than 2 days.

Let me introduce my family:

First there is DD6, she is my little artist and photographer. She is in 1st grade and loves school and Disney. She has been to WDW 7 times and her favorite ride is Splash Mountain. On our trip last year, she conquered Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids and Primeval Whirl. She does not like Tower of Terror nor Space Mountain but I give her great credit for at least trying them!

Next is DD2, she turns 3 in March and hence the reason for this trip in January -- to get one more "free" trip for her. She is my little athlete and fashionista. I will often find her wearing 3 skirts at one time and playing "soccer" in the house. Her favorite rides are The Magic Carpets of Aladdin and Triceratop Spin. She is now tall enough to ride Soarin', Test Track, Dinosaur, Kali, Mission Space green and Splash Mtn...we'll see what she wants to do.

DH is in his upper, upper 40s and is the reason we own DVC since he suggested purchasing once we had DD6. He is a self-defined computer geek. He likes Disney but does not love it. His ideal vacation is sleeping in and hanging out -- obviously so not Disney but in general he is a good sport about a WDW vacation. DH loves wild rides like ToT, RnR, EE and Space Mountain.

I am in my lower, lower 40s and am the Disney addict. I am a SAHM who loves to scrapbook and do other crafts but I also play competitive volleyball. My favorite thing to do is plan a Disney trip and then go on it! I love all the wild rides, too. Disney just fills me with a sense of joy, comforting familiarity and thrills.

Last edited by Marshay; 03-27-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Table of Contents

PreTrip Report
Introduction, Post #1
Autotrain, Page 2, #30
Disney Days, Page 3, #31
Updates and Photos, Page 4, #53
Schedule Change, Page 6, #78

Post Trip Report

2/27: Autotrain, Page 10, #138
2/28: Check-in at OKW, Page 10 #148
3/6: DHS, Page 12, #170
3/20: Balloons and Dinosaurs, Page 13, #192 and Page 14, #196+
3/21: AK and EMH Dismeet, Page 15, #219+
3/22: Princesses, Page 16, #240
3/23: Fun MK Day, Page 17, #251
3/26 & 27: Epcot, DHS, AK and Pouts, Page 19 #273, #275, #277

Last edited by Marshay; 03-27-2012 at 11:51 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Marshay

Ok, so this trip was originally supposed to be the one where we took along some friends, but the first cancelled due to $$ and the second cancelled b/c they decided to go to disneyLAND instead. Then I invited my parents, but they didn't want to go in January.

Sooo, we are going by ourselves, staying at Old Key West since we haven't tried this one yet and saving the points we would have spent on the 2BR for a 3 night DREAM cruise to the Bahamas next year, January 2013.

Original plans included Sea World, then changed to Legoland, but after some horrible reviews, we switched back to Sea World, but with no great discounts for SW and a 2nd trip to WDW planned within 365 days, we decided to upgrade our tickets to Annual Passes.

We are not adding the dining plan due to $$$ and the ridiculous new dining policy to charge $10/pp for no-shows. Life with 2 young kids in unpredictable weather for January is too uncertain, so I won't risk having to pay $10/pp for nothing. (ok, stepping off soap box on that bomb).

Last edited by Marshay; 02-27-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I'm first!!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
Ok, so this trip was originally supposed to be the one where we took along some friends, but the first cancelled due to $$ and the second cancelled b/c they decided to go to disneyLAND instead. Then I invited my parents, but they didn't want to go in January.

Sooo, we are going by ourselves, staying at Old Key West since we haven't tried this one yet and saving the points we would have spent on the 2BR for a 3 night DREAM cruise to the Bahamas next year, January 2013.

Original plans included Sea World, then changed to Legoland, but after some horrible reviews, we switched back to Sea World, but with no great discounts for SW and a 2nd trip to WDW planned within 365 days, we decided to upgrade our tickets to Annual Passes.

We are not adding the dining plan due to $$$ and the ridiculous new dining policy to charge $10/pp for no-shows. Life with 2 young kids in unpredictable weather for January is too uncertain, so I won't risk having to pay $10/pp for nothing. (ok, stepping off soap box on that bomb).

How fun to try a new resort. Too bad about your friends, I hope they hav e a good trip to Disneyland.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Marshay

Dining Plans

We have a few TS planned that are favorites:

Cinderella's Royal Table
-- we ate here in May 2011 and just loved it -- from the delicious food to the atmosphere to the architecture, we felt like royalty!

Not the best pic but the only one we have showing the inside w/o a princess blocking the path!

Despite DD2 not wanting her pic taken above, she really did enjoy this meal

Garden View Tea Lounge -- Tea anyone? I took my mom and daughter to this for a belated Mother's Day last year. We had a great time. DD6 wanted to do again but asked if DD2 and Daddy could join. So we are all going.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I'm first!!
Congrats!! You made it!!

Now I feel like I'm not just talking to myself -- thank you!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Marshay

Quote:
How fun to try a new resort. Too bad about your friends, I hope they hav e a good trip to Disneyland.
Yeah, they went this summer and had fun. Her family lives out there, so I can't blame her.

I was just disappointed b/c they said yes and that was exciting for me (and DD6). But I completely understand.

And if they didn't say no, we wouldn't be doing a cruise next year!

So it all works out.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
kaoden39
Hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshay View Post
Yeah, they went this summer and had fun. Her family lives out there, so I can't blame her.

I was just disappointed b/c they said yes and that was exciting for me (and DD6). But I completely understand.

And if they didn't say no, we wouldn't be doing a cruise next year!

So it all works out.

Then I say its a win win for you.

I was hoping you were going to do the tea again. I know that you guys really enjoyed it.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Marshay

and then some new restaurants

Hollywood and Vine -- we ate here for lunch but this time we are going for Breakfast. I actually breakfast so am really looking forward to this. Also, Jake, from Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Special AGent Oso are at this meal and we haven't met either of them yet.

And it's just a very fun restaurant for young "Disney Junior" kids. They sing and dance to all the DJr songs. You pay for the atmosphere here too.

We are also doing this as a late breakfast (~10:30am) on a EMH-AM. My plan is to get up early, eat a little, go do the big rides and then have a TS breakfast that is also sort of like an early lunch.

Garden Grove -- I got one of those restaurant.com gift certificates for here to try, based on another friends' recommendation. She went 2x and loved the Seafood Night (other one was Italian) so much. Since she couldnt stop raving about it and we love seafood and it is still a character meal (w/o $10/pp no-show), we are going to give it a try. This is located at the Swolphin.

Olivia's -- I don't have an ADR for here but on DVC boards, this gets great reviews. This is located at Old Key West and I hope to walk up for a meal.

The rest of the meals will either be CS or we'll eat in our room. When we first got DVC we just did Breakfast in the room. Each trip we are eating more lunches and dinners in the room -- saves us money and is just more relaxing sometimes.

Next up -- Transportation and Our Disney Days!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Marshay

Quote:
Then I say its a win win for you.

I was hoping you were going to do the tea again. I know that you guys really enjoyed it.
Yep! And yes, you remember correctly! The tea just helps you step away from it all and relax. Plus it was good food!

Not sure if DH will like it but that's ok.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
kaoden39
Hugs

I like the idea of eating a meal in the room. I think it helps you to relax from the frantic pace in the parks.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #13
danimaroo
DIS Veteran

I'm here, too... I've seen you post in the January thread but had no idea you were going the exact same dates as me! We technically leave the 18th but won't get in til the 19th (Seattle is a long flight!), and then fly back the 29th. We stayed at OKW during our honeymoon last January and I really loved it! My husband has stayed there many many times, but it was my first time and I loved the whole vibe of the resort as a whole. It was a very relaxing and comfy place to come back to after a long day at the parks.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
okw19
DIS Veteran

I'm here! We are arriving in WDW on the 20th but not checking into OKW until the 21st. Hope you guys love OKW! I have stayed there 15+ times and I love it so much.
Maybe we will run in to each other at the bus stop! If you see a brunette in her 20's wearing Disney clothes and looking like she's 16 that'll be me. I'll be toting around my 2 year old, my fiance and about 5 other family members as well.

A cruise sounds amazing! I'd be kind of glad my friends cancelled if that was the outcome.
Tea at the GF sounds SO fun! Also, we love Olivia's!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
betsywdw
DIS Veteran
Any old tag

I love winter trips! We stayed at OKW in 2008 and really liked it. Are they finished with the refurb yet? The pics in the DVC magazine looked gorgeous! Can't wait to follow along!

Official Stylist of Disland

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: