Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
swigert99
Earning My Ears

Breast Cancer Survivor!

I just wanted to give hope to anyone out there who has just been diagnosed with breast cancer! I was diagnosed with a very aggressive form in Jan 2010 at the age of 33. I lived through 2010 going to all my treatments, loosing my hair, radiation, surgery. Jan 2011 I became a 1 yr survivor and we decided to celebrate by planning a trip to WDW in June! We stayed 7 days and had a nice time. I'm closing in on my 2 year mark next month and can't wait! For the form of cancer I had (Inflammatory), to make it 2 years is quite a feet! There were many days I didn't think I'd get to see my 2 young sons grow up. But I'm here now and have been cancer free since my surgery. All tests come back normal and I'm starting to feel pretty normal on a daily basis. I don't think about having cancer 24/7 anymore! I pray this gives some hope out there.
With God all things are possible! (Don't forget the WITH GOD part)!

Last edited by swigert99; 12-15-2011 at 06:59 AM.
swigert99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Congratulations on winning the fight against cancer.

Too many people are being diagnosed with this, and I really hope they find an answer soon.
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

Congratulations This makes me very happy to read this. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last month and is having surgery today and I'm very scared.

I'm very happy for you and wish you all the best!!!

me DH DD and DS
hulagirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
swigert99
Earning My Ears

hulagirl87, I pray your mom stays strong and surgery takes away all the cancer! It's not a fun battle, but is beatable!
6/2011-All Star Music-Splurged for a 7 day ticket and loved it! DS2-1st time
12/2011-off site
swigert99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

So nice to read your story.
I'm sorry for everything you have gone through.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
CO_Mickey
Earning My Ears

I am currently undergoing radiation treatments. I was diagnosed on Sep. 30, 2011. I am anxious to be done!

Before all this began we had 2 Disney trips planned... we did Aulani in November and are doing a Disney cruise and WDW in February. We don't normally plan 2 big trips like this so close together, I think it was a sign from God.

I will be done with my radiation treatments by the time we go in February and be able to relax and enjoy myself.

Congrats on 2 years!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
DanenRox
Disney Junkies

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

It's 1:30 am and I'm awake. Uncomfortable from the tissue expanders that where placed after my double mastectomy in December. I'm 48 years old and I was diagnosed in September. I had been able to remain upbeat and positive, convinced the mastectomy would make all my problems disappear. I found out yesterday that the surgical pathology found a second more aggressive cancer and that I'll be undergoing chemotherapy and a year of Herpacin. I've been confident and strong throughout this entire process but now I am unraveling. I'm tired, I'm scared and I hurt. I am blessed with a loving and supportive family, a medical team I trust, an employer who will hold my job for as long as it takes for me to get well. But "getting well" always seems just out of reach. There are so many tests, procedures and appointments along the way and with every intervention I've (naively) thought, it would be over, it would go away. Now I know I have quite a while longer, many more procedures and lots more appointments before it'll be over. I know too, that it may never be over, that I may always be looking over my shoulder...waiting.
My schedule will have chemo ending early May, the expander/implant exchange in June. I have my yearly Disney trip scheduled for September. I'm sure you understand why with everything else going on, I still am planning a Disney trip. I need to have something to look forward to. I need to remind myself that all of this crap isn't forever, it's just for now.
Thank you for your post. Thank you for sharing a bit of your story. I'm so glad to hear that this really does all end, that we do get well, and that we do get our lives back. If you wanted to give someone hope, you have.
I am so looking forward to checking into our Disney resort and the CM asking..."Are you celebrating anything?" "Oh Yes!" I'll say! "Oh Yes we are!"
Thanks again. Stay well.
Roxane
DanenRox is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: