DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #16
monte4623
Earning My Ears

It's just that my experience on sofa beds is not pleasant so I dont necessarily want to put my kids on an uncomfortable sofa while I sleep pleasantly on a king bed. I understand they want to give a living room area but I am realizing that comes at a cost of sleeping arrangements.
Are these sleeper sofas any better than the ones I recall from years ago?
monte4623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte4623 View Post
It's just that my experience on sofa beds is not pleasant so I dont necessarily want to put my kids on an uncomfortable sofa while I sleep pleasantly on a king bed. I understand they want to give a living room area but I am realizing that comes at a cost of sleeping arrangements.
Are these sleeper sofas any better than the ones I recall from years ago?
We don't care much for the platform style sleeper sofas like at SSR and OKW. The ones at BWV and BCV flip from the back and have more of a regular mattress, but without the bar underneath. The cushions don't detach for this style and help support the foot of the bed. However, none of them are much good for sitting. Too hard and scratchy.

I found the older ones with the bar to sag, but more comfortable than the platform style.

That said, my son always get stuck on the sleeper sofa while Bill & I enjoy the comfort of the king sized bed.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
suncup1225
Mouseketeer

The pull out sofa beds at BLT are actually quite nice...we were very impressed...however not so much at the other DVC resorts particularly Saratoga Springs...the pull out sofa beds at BLT are actually memory foam mattresses...we have a one year old and the studio room was perfect for us!

@disneymomtojohn (twitter)
http://www.disneygals.com/ (blog)

I thought Disney was amazing before I had kids but seeing Disney through the eyes of my children makes it an even more magical and special place!

suncup1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #19
jblrn2b
DIS Veteran

We stayed in a one bedroom at BLT in february. Our two boys then 16 & 11 shared the pullout. They said it was very comfortable. All four of us have stayed in a studio at ssr and was comfortable. While I prefer to have the one bedroom for the washer/dryer. We have been comfortable in most rooms to save on points and have another trip.

DVC Members September 2008!
Me, DH, DS 17, DS 11.
jblrn2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #20
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

We are a family of four: dh 6'1, me 5'8, twin girls (almost 10) nearly 5'0 each. We've stayed in studios at BLT, BCV, BWV, AKV Jambo (including value), and OKW. We fit fine. DH and I sleep in the queen (all studios have a queen and a pull out couch.) Our princesses sleep on the pull out. I try to stretch our points, (summer trip 7 + days and winter get away 4 days) and a one bedroom would eat double the points.

(I say princesses because one has complained about her sleeping arrangements...which irks me that I have spoiled her so much that she thinks this complaint has validity.)

We don't hang out in our room, so space isn't really an issue for us.

OP - Based on what you've said, I'd say that DVC might not be a good fit for you. You initially asked about a studio, but if you want a king and your children to have a bed, not pull out, you need a two bedroom. (This would give you a w/d in the unit.)
disneydreamingdebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #21
runmommyrun
Mouseketeer

We bought BLT in early 2010. We are a family of four -- two boys ages 7 & 8. While we prefer to stay in a 1-bedroom, a studio works as well. My kids have found both very comfortable and no complaints. We've even had adults sleep on the pullouts and everyone has said they are fine. You get a washer and dryer in the 1-bedroom, but not the studio. I'm wacky in that I do wash towels every couple of days, as well as sweaty laundry (we frequent in the summer due to schedules). Plus we eat a lot of meals in. So for us, the washer/dryer and full kitchen are a big plus.

While we prefer the 1-bedroom, the studio is fine for a family of four. It is a much tighter squeeze compared to the one bedroom, BUT I would compare it to an upgraded hotel room with a small kitchenette. There is definitely enough room to stay there. However, we enjoy lounging more and there is not a stove/oven or a washer/dryer. So for short visits we may choose the studio, but for longer, we prefer the 1-bedroom.

As everyone has said, don't expect hotel-type service if you join DVC. While everyone should expect a clean and well-maintained room when they arrive, you are more or less responsible for the trash and laundry while there. Service is at 4 and 7 days. The exception is if you pay cash for the room (thus not traveling on DVC points). We paid cash for 7 nights at Vero Beach before we joined and had impeccable cleaning every day we were there. But we went back the following year as members and it was cleaned only once... on day 4 and that was a refreshing of towels, etc...

So, my thoughts are to think about how you like to vacation and what you can afford. We personally like the kitchen and washer/dryer in unit... which meant we would mainly be staying in a 1-bedroom (at minimum). We've gone numerous times since we've joined and loved it every time. You just have to know what to expect. Hope this helps!
Beach Club Villas/Port Orleans-French Quarter, Star Wars Weekend (June 2014); Bay Lake Tower/AoA, MNSSHP & Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2013); Aulani and Villas at Grand Californian (June 2013); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2012); Beach Club Villas/Dream Cruise/Bay Lake Tower (June 2012); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2011); Bay Lake Tower (June 2011); Vero Beach (March 2011); Saratoga Springs (Jan. 2011); Wilderness Lodge Villas & Bay Lake Tower (Aug. 2010); Vero Beach (March 2010); Wilderness Lodge (June 2009); Off-site (1998, 1997 & 1986)
runDisney
2011 Disney Marathon & Kid Races; 2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon; Castaway Cay 5K June 2012
DVC Member since March 2010
runmommyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #22
monte4623
Earning My Ears

Thank you all for the explanations. I am going to purchase 200 pts minimum to try and stretch them for 2 visits per year. I just want to make sure that I am not getting less sleeping accommodations than if I were in the regular hotel room. If two kids fit good in the sleeper sofa and most people seem to say the sleeper sofa is pretty good I can go with that.
monte4623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #23
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncup1225 View Post
The pull out sofa beds at BLT are actually quite nice...we were very impressed...however not so much at the other DVC resorts particularly Saratoga Springs...the pull out sofa beds at BLT are actually memory foam mattresses...we have a one year old and the studio room was perfect for us!
That's the same mattress on the OKW and SSR sleeper sofa and I thought they were awful.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #24
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
from the member website:

Quote:
Pay As You Play
With Pay As You Play service, you'll be provided with the following amenities free of charge at the start of your stay. After that, you may purchase more for the following fees:

Toiletries Package, $5.00 - 1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 shower gel
Coffee Package, $3.00 - 1 package of coffee, 8 sugars, 8 creamers, 8 artificial sweeteners
Towel Package, $6.00 - 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat
Laundry Detergent (only in One-, Two-, and Three-bedroom Vacation Homes), $1.00 - 1 box

towels and toiletries are also replaced as part of the trash&towel service (or full cleaning depending on the length of your stay) every 4th day.

as noted by the other poster, 1BRs and up do have a w/d in the villa if that is preferable.
or......... if you bump into housekeeping with their big cart of supplies..... they've been known to give out a few freebies when you ask nicely from time to time
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #25
Deb & Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by amypetecar View Post
or......... if you bump into housekeeping with their big cart of supplies..... they've been known to give out a few freebies when you ask nicely from time to time
But they aren't free because they cost the membership. Including you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: