Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #31
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Last cruise, 25th anniversary, DW and I received a door full of magnets and other items. Never did find out who did this, our room steward stated that he has never done or seen this happen before.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #32
mddisneyfamily
Mouseketeer

My 13 year old was supposed to meet us at dinner but he called to ask if he could stay at the kids club because they were getting ready to do a fun activity in Edge that he didn't want to miss. I reluctantly agreed since we'd spent the day together and I was so happy he was having a good time. We explained to our server that he wouldn't be joining us and that he would just grab something later. We had our meal and at the end our waiter came back with a large bag filled with exactly what I'm sure my son would have ordered had he been there! Appetizer, meal and 2 desserts! My son was so suprised when he got to the room and dinner was waiting for him (oh, and since he's a teenage boy, he didn't care in the least that his meal wasn't hot)!
mddisneyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #33
missyosmom
Earning My Ears

We were on the Magic 12/17 - 12/24 and our Palo server made our magical moments happen. Jalena was so sweet, giving us extra things to try and sending us home with a plate of white chocolate strawberries for our 9 yr old DD. I wish we could have had her as our server for every meal - but our regular servers were pretty awesome too!
missyosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #34
simbasmom2
Just waitin around till boarding time!

Love these stories!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #35
Kaizen
Forever Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitzytraveller View Post
What a great story! May I ask if you know how you were chosen to be Family of the Cruise?
Not exactly sure but the only thing I can think of was when I was at guest services requesting a t shirt to be signed by the princesses for delivery on my daughter's actual birthday, they told me that they could not guarantee it for that day but would definitely have it to me by the end of the cruise. I think because I was so understanding and not demanding that might have had something to do with it. That was so much fun being treated to a special reception where Goofy and my daughter horsed around for a good 15 minutes. We have some great photos of that! Not to mention the chocolate covered strawberries waiting in our room after a day at Castaway Cay. They even gave us passes for 4 for everything on the island (snorkeling, biking, tubes, etc). Seems like every time we turned around some fun thing was being given to us or being done for us! I don't remember having such a fantastic time on a vacation EVER and I have been on plenty! I think it is that "extra something" that Disney does so well that takes your experience to the next level.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #36
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by socababy View Post
Our magical moments came in large part due to our wonderful concierge Tawanda.
Tawanda was our concierge, too! He was so great to us. We had a trying cruise (there was an odor problem with our suites) and he bent over backwards to make sure special things happened outside our rooms.

A purely magical moment happened on PCC2.0. My friend is a vegetarian and our head server, Deniz, spoke to her about it, heard her English accent, and had freshly-made curries served to her every night after that - two separate curries each night!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #37
mellers
DIS Veteran

There is one bit of pixie dust that still brings tears to my eyes even after all of these years, but it happened at the parks--however, it ends at the ship.

My daughter, at nearly 3, could not speak or walk, and could not really crawl (she would roll). At 3, she would be diagnosed with autism and cerebral palsy.

I was called to a conference in Orlando, and my husband was having difficulties at work, so I took along a neighbor and her child (who was about the same age), and paid for her ticket, and for her to go to the buffets (the girls were young enough that they could get in and eat free that way.)

We went through the Magic Kingdom together, and I couldn't figure out if it had much impact. The other three went to the parks while I went to the conference, and when I was through, I buckled her into her car seat on the plane and she looked at me (which NEVER happened), and said "I saw Mickey!"

I thought I'd lost it, finally. I didn't think I could possibly have heard what I just heard. So I asked her (not really expecting a response), and she replied "I saw Mickey!" They were the first words I ever heard her say.

The second time we took her, she doubled her vocabulary.

The third time we took her, she hugged us for the very first time.

Progress was slow but steady, and she worked very, very hard at school, at home, in speech and occupational therapy, and with all of the social skills training.

When she was in 7th grade, she walked in with a prep sheet for Radiologic Technology, handed it to me and said, "I want to do this. What do I have to do to make it happen?" It was a very demanding course of study--she would have to take summer school the summer before her Freshman and Sophomore year, and probably try to prepare for Running Start, a program which allows advanced students to take college courses instead of their junior and senior year in high school.

She did it all. The child who couldn't use complete sentences in kindergarten is now taking Precalculus and AP Biology. I am just about to scan in her application to Running Start, and everybody is certain she will be accepted, and she will be released from special education at the end of this school year.

For her 16th birthday, she asked to take a Disney cruise to Alaska again this year. (We took one last year.) I am so proud of her I can't even tell you. But when they say, "It all started with a mouse," it means something entirely different to my family.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #38
millscrew
Mouseketeer

These stories were all great. I loved reading them all. Thank you for sharing. I hope we get some pixie dust on our cruise June 16, 2012 on the fantasy for our 15th Anniversary.
millscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #39
Sunshineminnie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers View Post
But when they say, "It all started with a mouse," it means something entirely different to my family.
Thanks so much for sharing your story. It brought tears to my eyes! So happy for your family!
Sunshineminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #40
Tehanna
It's FISH EXTENDER, not Fish Exchange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers View Post
I am so proud of her I can't even tell you. But when they say, "It all started with a mouse," it means something entirely different to my family.
This made me cry out loud. Thank you for sharing the story of your amazing daughter.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Tehanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #41
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

I think folks that have Concierge service don't qualify for Magical Moment stories. You bought those!

Jan 2015 - 7 night Western Caribbean - Disney Magic
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder
April 2010 - 4 night Baja - Carnival Elation
April 2009 - 3 night Baja - Carnival Elation
March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #42
bengals01
DIS Veteran

Several of my old servers gave me a disney cruise line shirt and they all signed it and brought me a special cake for my birthday. Then they all came and sang happy birthday to me.
bengals01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #43
cblack
Mousketeer

My DD (2 at the time) fell in love with Belle while we were on our cruise in January 2011, but didn't understand why she couldn't see her everytime she wanted to

At the farewell party, one of the CMs discovered that DD loved Belle and told her to stand right next to him while we waited. As soon as Belle came down, he took DD to get her picture taken with Belle and made sure she was able to talk to Belle for at least 5 minutes before letting others up to take photos. As if that wasn't enough, 5 minutes before the characters were leaving, he came and found us and said he needed to make sure DD was the very last one to say goodbye to Belle too. This time he took family pictures and allowed another few minutes for DD to hug Belle goodbye. I have a lovely picture of DH holding DD while she is hugging Belle and if you look really closely, you can see a tiny tear in the corner of DH's eye

cblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #44
socababy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes View Post
I think folks that have Concierge service don't qualify for Magical Moment stories. You bought those!
Oh I disagree! If that was the case then I would have a whole list of things I believed I "bought" being concierge. I'm sure if I boarded with that attitude that the concierge team wouldn't want to do anything for me! LOL
MAGIC Aug 2015 Dover to Barcelona, Aug 2015 Med
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #45
momo2080
Earning My Ears

Love the stories! Seriously this is what makes DCL for us.

My story would be, I was standing in the ridiculously long line for the Princess meet with my 3 kids, dd 8 dd 6 & ds 4. My ds had had it after standing pretty patiently for 20 mins and started to have a mini meltdown and I did understand, he doenst care for the princesses and my hubby was taking a much needed nap. A CM walking past took 1 look at his red face and gently pulled him over to the big round windows and started a mock sword fight. She was amazing! and then kept him entertained with a few other little boys that drifted over until our turn with the princesses. I couldnt thank her enough. So I went to the front desk and made sure to write a comment card with her name on it.

Coming up: April 28th Western Carib on the Fantasy!!
Past Cruises:
April '11 Western Carib 7 nights on the Magic
DCL 4-day Bahamas May '09 on the Wonder, DCL 4-day Bahamas May '10 on the Wonder
WDW->too many times to count!
momo2080 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: