Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Signing in for 2012.

We did really well last year but there are still some areas to work on. I can only push DH so far to get rid of stuff but he's at least agreeable to boxing stuff up and then taking a look at it later on in the year to see how he feels. I did that previously and pulled out 3 of his boxes for him to look through and he managed to condense his stuff down to 1 box. So good progress for him IMO.

My major areas to tackle this year are:

filing and all papers

books - we don't get rid of books but there has to be something better than piled up on the floor!

the kids toys - I want to get smaller bins so they aren't pulling out a large bin and dumping it to find the stuff they want.

the closets - I keep a lot of stuff in closets and did well with downsizing at the end of the year. I need to keep that momentum going.

That's about it. We have really pared down our possessions and got rid of stuff that wasn't making us happy. There is little to no storage here in the house so making the most of the available space with the things that we want around us is really important. Having clear and open space really makes the difference for me on whether I'm motivated and upbeat or lazy and unhappy.

As for today...I cleaned up DH's side of the bed, organizing the coloring bookcase, finished all the dishes, cleaned up the front room, went through all the bedrooms....and still can't find DS's DS!! ARGH!!! DH said he didn't have it in his car but wasn't going to look and now he's at work. I'm going be relieved yet mad if it's in his car!

And I still cannot find the goodwill list that I've misplaced. Sigh....maybe it's run off with the DS?

oh yeah, I also destashed the dish cabinet. We have lots of kiddie dishes that need to go. I just kept the ones we use on a regular basis. Now the dishwasher can be emptied without DD giving me grief about things not fitting.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

I'm in. We're moving from Florida to Alaska in a couple months and I have so much to destash! I went through my clothes and shoes today. Hoping to get more done over the next couple weeks. Trying to get rid of anything that will clutter up the new house. So needless to say I have to go through EVERYTHING. Did the kids toys a couple weeks ago. Need to do clothes, weed out the excess summer stuff.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #18
comicguy
DIS Veteran

Iamb signing up to do more destashing this year. I need to get rid of more stuff!!! I have gotten rid of a lot over the last year but still have a long ways to go.
Dec 2000 Movies, Jan '03 Movies, Jan '05 Movies, Jan '06 Movies, August '06 POP, Jan '07 POP, Aug '07 POP, Aug '08 POP, Aug '09 POP, Aug '10 POP Aug '11 POP, POP '12, AoA '13

Next Trip: '14 POP
comicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
ryem's mom
Counting down the days

Signing in for 2012

I'm on board for 2012. I have been doing a little at a time. My big clutter is paperwork. I graduated from college almost 2 years ago and still have all the papers from there. I need to go thru them. I need to set up my filing cabinet that I bought about 3 years ago, right now it is piled with papers. lol. Good luck to everyone.

ryem's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
roadtripper
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to offer a website for everyone that is donating stuff. If you use turbotax, they have a free website called itsdeductible.com where you can keep track of your donations all year long. If you itemize, it's great because it assigns the appropriate IRS allowed credit for each item. I found that I have been WAY undervaluing my donations, so it's worth it to keep track of exactly what clothes you donated, and how many of each item. Make sure to get a receipt to back up your donation claim since it's easy to go over 250 dollars.

Today I moved old tax returns to the attic file cabinet and got rid of REALLY old returns dating back to 1996! Happy destashing everyone!

roadtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #21
Minnie
DIS Veteran

I started this last year and gave up - but I'm ready to try again. Need to stay motivated to get our home organized and hope this thread will help
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #22
rhonda_2003
Mouseketeer

Since posting early today, I have finishing completely going through my little boy's room-clothes, closet, toys, everything!-and gotten rid of 3 large laundry baskets full of clothes and toys!

I have also gone through the majority of my kitchen cabinets and gotten rid of almost a box full of dishes, lids, cups, etc Had to sit down a minute and rest before I'm off to finish the kitchen cabinets before supper!

I will complete destashing this year because I am sick and tired of cleaning it, moving it, and seeing it if I don't love it and use it!

OKW-May 2012-with all four of us plus 5 of our friends
CSR-Dec 2011-DS's first trip
POFQ-June 2009-DD's first trip; I was 6 months pregnant too!
CBR-Mar 2003-Our honeymoon....worst trip in history!
Several off-site visits as a kid
rhonda_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #23
delmar411
DIS Veteran

DS has been found! Whew! I had to go on my hands and knees peering into every single cubbie in the boys room and spied it way back on top of a bin.

And nope, it didn't have the missing goodwill list with it!
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
Tweevil
Twin Evils....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonda_2003 View Post
Since posting early today, I have finishing completely going through my little boy's room-clothes, closet, toys, everything!-and gotten rid of 3 large laundry baskets full of clothes and toys!

I have also gone through the majority of my kitchen cabinets and gotten rid of almost a box full of dishes, lids, cups, etc Had to sit down a minute and rest before I'm off to finish the kitchen cabinets before supper!

I will complete destashing this year because I am sick and tired of cleaning it, moving it, and seeing it if I don't love it and use it!

yay! You made great progress! I haven't started yet because I have to remove all the Christmas stuff. Once that's done it is GAME ON here.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
DS has been found! Whew! I had to go on my hands and knees peering into every single cubbie in the boys room and spied it way back on top of a bin.

And nope, it didn't have the missing goodwill list with it!
That will probably turn up 2 days after you give up and file your taxes! Glad you found his DS though, we have also had that mad search for it.

I condensed the kids' dress up bins from 3 down to 1-2. I need to see if I can fit it all in one box. Got rid of a bag of trash and broken bits from the basement and many boxes & papers from around the house.

Our hope chest had become a laundry dumping ground & got that under control. I uncovered a pile of sweatjackets that DD wanted to donate so will add those to the boxes.

Next up, the computer desk so we can move DD's old computer downstairs to replace the one that died.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

This is something we need to seriously need to work on around here. We just have so much stuff. My plan is to toss at least 5 things we don't need each day plus go through a shelf, drawer or cabinet each day off of work.

We are starting with clothes. DH went through a lot of his stuff and there's already a giant bag to go to good will. I hope to get through the clothes I have in the closet & my dresser tomorrow - there's bound to be more for good will. I can drop all the clothes to good will one night during the week.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
Kayka
Mouseketeer

I'm in! It's a never ending goal to destash and I made significant progress in recent months. I plan to continue until the excess is gone.
Kayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Today, we put away all of the holiday stuff in the correct boxes.

I cleaned out under my bed, filed what needed to be and threw out the rest. I also cleaned out the dresser next to my bed which always ends up full of random papers.

DH will be gone a week in January so I took that week off of work to totally de-stash and de-clutter. Having a full week with the kids in school and him gone will give me plenty of time to get things in order.

My main areas of focus are:

closets
bathrroms- unders sinks and drawers
basement
my dressers

My kitchen stays uncluttered as we just use it too much to have it any other way.

In fact, I'm going to get off the computer and do my closet right now!!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #29
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
That will probably turn up 2 days after you give up and file your taxes! Glad you found his DS though, we have also had that mad search for it.
Well I have until April to find the list since it's for my mom and she files at the last minute or on an extension so sometimes even later. Or at least recreate the list. If I have to recreate it, I'll need all the other lists back from her so hopefully she's got them all typed up nice and neat and could just email it to me. I know what stuff we donated since most of it's been done in the past month or so and it's the stuff I've been tripping over all year! LOL

I went through the entire coloring cabinet and every single notebook that was in there. No luck on the list but I found someone has stuffed all sorts of stuff in there including some photos! Plus a bunch of stuff from a Disney trip last year. I'm betting ODD but it could have been DH too. I think I'm going to address it as a PSA to them both.

This week my goal is to get rid all the coloring books that are piled up in the coloring cabinet. It is stuffed full of things and needs to go.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #30
Karenj2
Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog!

May I join you? I've never paid attention to the previous destashing threads because I had my head in the sand, but organizing my life is a goal for this year! I figure it'll be easier to keep things organized if I have less stuff....

Any tips for a newbie?
03/1983 wdw Poly | 03/1992? wdw Offsite | 03/1993 wdw Poly | 05/1996 wdw WL | 01/2001 wdw CS | 04/2001 dl day trip | 08/2002 dcl/wdw | 2003-2004 in Dec/Jan dl day trips w/ BIL | 9/2006 wdw PC | 8/2007 wdw PC | 8/2008 wdw AS Sports | 8/2009 wdw BC | 1/2011 wdw Poly, DH ran 1/2 marathon | 3/2012 wdw PC w/ friends | 2/2013 dl day trip| 9/2014 wdw AKLV w/ friends! 4 adults, 1 4yo and 2 sets of 1yo Twins! CRAZY!!

Karenj2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: