DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
leelee9878
DIS Veteran

Aulani - rental/transportation

Hello, I know that everyone suggests getting a rental, and I fully agree and plan to do so. However, I am trying to do this trip as cheap as possible (which is a task to begin with because Hawaii is so expensive. While looking for car rentals I am finding just over $300 for a week from HNL. If I were to rent to the Alamo in property it is over $100 cheaper. I would love to rent on property so that we can save the money, but I am unsure how we would get to the resort.

Has anyone went and not rented a car? How did you get to the resort, and how much did it cost.

Any help would be appreciated, we are scheduled to go Jan 22.
March 2009- Suprise Parents at Disney - SSR
December 2009- Crazy Family Trip #1 AKV Kidani
May 2010- Disney Magic, 11 Night Med Cruise
September 2010- Last Minute Birthday Surprise BWV & BLT
November 2010- Disney Wonder, 3 Night Bahamas Cruise
December 2010- Crazy Family Trip#2 BCV
November 2011- Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas Cruise & SSR
December 2011 - Last Min Trip - OKW
January 2012 - Hawaii - Aulani!!!
leelee9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
sarahk0204
DIS Veteran

Ok, I haven't been to Aulani, but I was just listening to the DIS podcast where they were talking about Aulani. Because they are not DVC and would incur the per day paking charge, they suggested renting a car at the resort for the day and turning it back in at night. Would it be any cheaper to rent a car for the drive from the airport, turn it in, and have a no-car day or 2 during the stay? Maybe more hassle than it is worth, but just a thought.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
travlrmel
Earning My Ears

When we went, I rented from Alamo. I typically rent from them (they seem to be cheaper than the others) so I signed up for their "insiders" club. For Sun-Sat rental for a compact it was $230, about the same price as Fri-Mon rental in Vegas 2 months earlier. I rented a compact, but ended up with a mid-size because they were out of compacts. Check out the "Hot Deals" on their website.

Also checked into a shuttle to/from the airport and renting the car at the resort. I don't remember the specifics, but it came out about the same.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee9878 View Post
Hello, I know that everyone suggests getting a rental, and I fully agree and plan to do so. However, I am trying to do this trip as cheap as possible (which is a task to begin with because Hawaii is so expensive. While looking for car rentals I am finding just over $300 for a week from HNL. If I were to rent to the Alamo in property it is over $100 cheaper. I would love to rent on property so that we can save the money, but I am unsure how we would get to the resort.

Has anyone went and not rented a car? How did you get to the resort, and how much did it cost.

Any help would be appreciated, we are scheduled to go Jan 22.
I just checked hotwire for you for Jan 22, for a week and a compact is $262 w/taxes, no LDW.

If you read the Transportation boards, ppl always post good codes. You really have to work for a good rental car rate (IMO). It took me hours to find a great rate for our Maui & HNL rentals for Christmas. Try different companies, and different codes. It's a PITA butyou'll save in the end.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
leelee9878
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I just checked hotwire for you for Jan 22, for a week and a compact is $262 w/taxes, no LDW.

If you read the Transportation boards, ppl always post good codes. You really have to work for a good rental car rate (IMO). It took me hours to find a great rate for our Maui & HNL rentals for Christmas. Try different companies, and different codes. It's a PITA butyou'll save in the end.
I completely agree, and I am the queen of searching every possible option haha. I have mastered Orlando, but Hawaii is a new venture for me

I ended up finding a car thru Alamo direct for $268 w/taxes, I think this may be the cheapest I will be able to find. I booked it and I will cancel, if I can find cheaper. If I were to rent direct from Aulani it would be $200 for the week including taxes.

I dont think we will be able to find a shuttle that is less than $30 pp RT so it looks like I will most likely be keeping the reservation that I made. I will definitley keep an eye on the transportation threads...I forgot all about them!
March 2009- Suprise Parents at Disney - SSR
December 2009- Crazy Family Trip #1 AKV Kidani
May 2010- Disney Magic, 11 Night Med Cruise
September 2010- Last Minute Birthday Surprise BWV & BLT
November 2010- Disney Wonder, 3 Night Bahamas Cruise
December 2010- Crazy Family Trip#2 BCV
November 2011- Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas Cruise & SSR
December 2011 - Last Min Trip - OKW
January 2012 - Hawaii - Aulani!!!
leelee9878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
1EvilQueenfan
Mouseketeer

We will be going to Aulani on Jan 23 for 16 nights. We purchased the Entertainmet book for Hawaii which had car rental coupons. We were able to get a car rental from the airport for the entire trip for about $480. It seemed cheaper to me to rent the car from the airport rather than Aulani. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Patricia
DIS Veteran

Thrifty and Dollar had some great deals when we were there. Check them out.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
tinkerbe
Earning My Ears

Smile car rental....crazy

So I will be going to Aulani for just 2 days. Hopping from another island. A 2 day plus a few extra hours cost about $170.00 for a car rental. Thats almost the same a a whole week! I don't think I will really need a car for just 2 days, but the taxi ride is around $70 each way. I am going crazy! Love some discount codes! Thanks
tinkerbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Bump

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: